• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok threads merged. Now back to trying to figure out what exactly the fuck sheev was trying to do in this movie

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
So there was a hyperspace rammed Star Destroyer over Endor. Split in half and everything.

One in a million my sculpted ass.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Notice how the universe is in exactly the same place as after ROTJ with a very strong First Order still out there and the only difference is that they replace the OT heroes with ST heroes. Looking forward to Palpatine resurrection in ST2. The dumb ride never ends.

Edit: it's actually worse, the new republic is totally destroyed.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Padme falling for Anakin is one thing

Rey falling for a mass murdering nazi is another

but WHO WOULD FUCK SHEEV

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Just came back from the movie tonight.

I had a realization that my only issue with this entire trilogy is how messy the force powers are handled and explained. I don't dislike Rey, I dislike how I can't tell how powerful she is due to a lack of force explanation. I don't dislike Kylo, I dislike how he learned his new powers shown this trilogy due to a lack of force explanation. I don't dislike Palpatine, I dislike how the movie portrayed him as a god-level, raid boss sith force user compared to Rey and Kylo then being taken out by a solo Rey due to a lack of force explanation. I don't dislike this trilogy's version of Luke and Leia Skywalker, I dislike that they both died doing almost the exact same thing, due to a lack of force explanation.

All it would take is a statistics/math book on how the force works(for all powers including the ones introduced in this new trilogy and how they effect life essence) for me to be cool with all of this... because other than those moments where every single time the force came up on the screen and I felt puzzled by it, I enjoyed my time with each movie of this trilogy.

On a side note, Finn's character was done a little dirty, but at least he came out of this trilogy as a potential force user and a proud general of the rebellion army.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
it's the most star wars movie possible. the only reason it's "divisive" is that a large portion of the star wars fan base is determined to be miserable about anything star wars related.
I mean, I can't disagree. There are legitimate problems with the film (mainly poor pacing and an overload of exposition), but that's the case for literally every Star Wars film ever.
It's nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be, but yes, the fandom is absolutely toxic. It doesn't matter what they do with the franchise at this point, there will always be 'fans' who hate it with a passion.

It's really quite funny. TFA got shit on for not being original enough, TLJ got shit on for doing something new and TRoS gets it for doing too much of both.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Having slept on it I think my main problem is I didn't enjoy any of the big plot points, I hated that Palpatine just existed all of a sudden, I don't mind Rey being a Palpatine except I do hate everyone having to be related in some way, the kiss was stupid and as I said in the other thread "Just Rey" would have been a much better closing line than her deciding to be a damn Skywalker.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Where the fuck is the budget coming from for the first order/final order? And also if they could get the power of a Death Star in a Star Destroyer form, the hell were they doing with Starkiller?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Star Trek Into Darkness? JJ's first sci-fi sequel where he got carried away writing the script and accidentally cured death?

I can't believe he did it again. Between Khan blood and Sith Alchemy/cloning/Force Healing, there's no reason anyone needs to permanently die in either the new Star Trek or Star Wars canon.

source.gif

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
There's no Skywalker left, but Sheev must have fucked more than one woman. It's a Palpatine universe now.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'll reiterate one more time. I thought TROS was fine. It was not great. It may not even have been good. But I enjoyed most of of my time with it. Except for Exegol - that sequence was balls apart from Palpy eating that ham like it was Christmas.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just came back from the movie tonight.

I had a realization that my only issue with this entire trilogy is how messy the force powers are handled and explained. I don't dislike Rey, I dislike how I can't tell how powerful she is due to a lack of force explanation. I don't dislike Kylo, I dislike how he learned his new powers shown this trilogy due to a lack of force explanation. I don't dislike Palpatine, I dislike how the movie portrayed him as a god-level, raid boss sith force user compared to Rey and Kylo then being taken out by a solo Rey due to a lack of force explanation. I don't dislike this trilogy's version of Luke and Leia Skywalker, I dislike that they both died doing almost the exact same thing, due to a lack of force explanation.

All it would take is a statistics/math book on how the force works(for all powers including the ones introduced in this new trilogy and how they effect life essence) for me to be cool with all of this... because other than those moments where every single time the force came up on the screen and I felt puzzled by it, I enjoyed my time with each movie of this trilogy.

On a side note, Finn's character was done a little dirty, but at least he came out of this trilogy as a potential force user and a proud general of the rebellion army.
why did they hint at a finn and rey relationship just to crush the hopes of the shippers? I would have liked a little bit of finn light saber action. that was the best thing about ep 7. i mean he hold his own against keylo for 5 minutes or so... why didnt they just put in a bit of lightsaber action with him?
Padme falling for Anakin is one thing

Rey falling for a mass murdering nazi is another

but WHO WOULD FUCK SHEEV

he was the emperor of the galaxy... he could have any woman he wanted with his vast powers.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't get over Rey being a Palpatine. I hate it.

Same. That shit is unnecessary and actively makes me hate Rey "Skywalker". I could tolerate it way better if she was nobody

This retroactively makes the series into the Palpatine Saga and turns the Skywalkers into a bunch of losers that got destroyed and co-opted by the Palpatines.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Same. That shit is unnecessary and actively makes me hate Rey "Skywalker". I could tolerate it way better if she was nobody

This retroactively makes the series into the Palpatine Saga and turns the Skywalkers into a bunch of losers that got destroyed and co-opted by the Palpatines.

that Palpatine bloodline shits all over the chosen one

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who built all the star destroyers. And who's piloting/commanding all of them.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One point that bothered me (aside from the obvious fleet R&D issues): how did Leia and Luke know Rey was a Palpatine? Luke found nothing on the ship and there was no indication within the film itself that they were aware of Rey before she showed up 20 years later.

Who built all the star destroyers. And who's piloting/commanding all of them.

Instead of bringing the full might of the Empire on to the Rebellion and sympathetic systems, Palpatine decided to save them for a rainy day contingency. Oh, and save the capital ship laser pointers for then and just keep focusing on Death Stars and Starkiller (Contingency...2?3?)

Seems that they incorporated the plot of the original Thrawn trilogy, where a bunch of Republic frigates had slave programs that could be remotely operated with a skeleton crew. In the film there was talk of increasing their kidnapping of children to fill the ranks, but that would be a decade at least of conditioning. Likely they hoped the size of the fleet would keep the systems in check until then, similarly to the purpose of the size of the Death Stars in the OT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MMarston

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One point that bothered me (aside from the obvious fleet R&D issues): how did Leia and Luke know Rey was a Palpatine? Luke found nothing on the ship and there was no indication within the film itself that they were aware of Rey before she showed up 20 years later.
Luke probably figured it out either after that thing where she sat on a rock in TLJ, or he was just observing in general throughout TROS.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm just going to rip the bandaid off:

1) Rogue One
2) Empire Strikes Back
3) Rise of Skywalker
4) Return of the Jedi
5) A New Hope
6) Solo
7) Force Awakens
8) The Last Jedi
9) Revenge of the Sith
10) Phantom Menace
11) Attack of the Clones

Sorry but it's the truth.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The Sheev get his end wet thing I can kinda get because he's a Sith right and they revel in their emotions? Seems like the Sith would be party animals. Or like y'know rapist tyrants or something if this wasn't a kids movie.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is that the movie would have worked the same if Rey wasn't a Palpatine. You just need to take out that dumb plot of Palpatine trying to get Rey to kill him (he's not getting more powerful like that, no, no wink wink).

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
why did they hint at a finn and rey relationship just to crush the hopes of the shippers? I would have liked a little bit of finn light saber action. that was the best thing about ep 7

If you've ever seen the last Airbender tv show then you'll understand this analogy(ignore character power levels this is purely for the romance analogy):

Aang = Finn
Zuko = Kylo
Katara = Rey

It is what it is.

Regarding your second question, Finn can always return in the future with a saber now that he possibly has the force

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I don't even know why the movie isn't called Rise of Palpatine. Palpatine lineage ends up being the most powerful Sith and most powerful Jedi in this saga.

1c96ccf55226534971186d9f7b7ec718f6220b1e32e87588186d22dc1ff89268.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist posting this. I'm only joking.

lmao that was good

The sad thing is that the movie would have worked the same if Rey wasn't a Palpatine. You just need to take out that dumb plot of Palpatine trying to get Rey to kill him (he's not getting more powerful like that, no, no wink wink).

Especially if you consider that what Palpatine did in this movie is exactly the same as he did in ROTJ (sitting his ass, showing the good guis how the resistance is falling, get killed by his own lasers). Ian was awesome as always but Sheev was wasted in this.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts now the spoiler ban has lifted and two days after I saw the film.

First of, I really liked TFA and I loved TLJ. Both have grown on me over time (especially TLJ, I needed time to let that one sink in. But it got better everytime I saw it).

And I liked TROS. It's definitely my least favourite of the three and I don't think that will change anytime soon if ever. But I laughed, I was exited and I choked up a few times. It was exactly the fun and weird experience I expect from Star Wars, but without the extra depth of TLJ, nor its brilliant storytelling.

My main problem with TROS is the one many have. It's too fucking fast paced. It is often more occupied by the plot, than by what thet plot does to the characters. It's a McGuffin chase that leaves no time to breathe. And that's a shame, because there are a lot of great moments that deserved some more development. There is for instance that little talk at the end between Finn and Janah about their lives as a stormtrooper, and you just want more of thát. It's the only moment I actually feel an emotional connection to Finn as a character.

So yeah, Finn. Finn and Poe have a lot to do in this movie. But they have no story. People bitched about Finn in TLJ being on a sidequest, but it's actually in TROS that a lot of his actions and plotlines seem to just be there. It's all with the intention to get the next McGuffin thingy, but there is no character behind it. In TLJ we saw Finn as a character, someone who discovered, learned, made mistakes, learned from it and changed course. In TROS he is a figure. He is on an adventure and does action stuff. That's it. The same holds for Poe. The fast pace doesn't give you time to be bored, but their stories have nothing to tell. There is no theme behind it.

You could also easily cut out some plotlines without hurting the movie (something that is nigh impossible in TLJ, as everything is so connected). C-3PO needing a hack? It's fun, but it's basically an extra obstacle where you didn't need one. More plot to cram in a movie that is already full of it. The sinking sand? Just a little extra hold-up (that is resolved like it is nothing. They just walk out of it) that only delivers more plot. And on top of all that the movie sets up stuff it never pays of, like Finn wanting to tell Rey he loves her. Basically the movie should have cut the fat and slowed down from time to time. Letting things breathe and settle.

Before I wasn't so sure about the return of Palpatine, and I'm still not sure if I like it. (I definitely think they jumped the shark on some of his scenes) Same goes for Rey being a Palpatine, which isn't a straight retcon thanks to the stupid grandfather explanation, but still feels forced. But when I think about it - see I'm conflicted still - there is a lot that I like about this idea too. For instance that this trilogy has the bad guy coming from a 'good' bloodline, and the good girl coming from an evil one. This kind of gels with TLJ's message that it doesn't really matter where you come from, it's the choices you make yourself and the lessons you learn from your mistakes that matter. It's how you grow beyond wath came before.
In the end I have to listen the things I said a lot when discussing TLJ regarding Rey's lineage. It's not the answer that is important, not the consequences for the lore, but what it means for the character and how it pushes her to react and change. In that regard I think Rey Palpatine is actually okay, because it does throw a new wrench in Rey's view about herself. But again, because of the fast pace, there is so little time to have this al settle or develop. The Ach-Too scene should have had way more breathing room for instance, more doubt and bigger conflict.

My favourite part of the movie is Rey's and Kylo's story again. It's the part that hit me the most on an emotional level. It has been the core of this trilogy and I like where it ended up (even though I had expected Rey to emboddy both the light and the dark at the end, but come to think of it, that would be a very strange and mixed message in a story that has always been so black and white). I think the redemption arc here is actually way better done than Vader's was. It feels way less as an afterthought, and tracing back troughout the three movies you see how nicely it is build up in Kylo's character. I loved how they repeated that scene from TFA with Han (though you kind of feel that they intended to have Leia bring him back, but couldn't because of Carrie Fisher's death. It would've been a better scene if it mirrored TFA's but with Leia, so it would be a bigger question mark if he would kill her or embrace her).

There is a lot of little stuf to talk about too. For instance I'd rather had the rebuilding of the Resistance as a big plot drive than the McGuffin's, and it kind of feels cheap that Lando deus ex machina's them in the end. (You have to fill it in with some headcanon to make it work too. Lando telling in all those systems the Resistance needs help and everybody ready to jump in because of Luke's inspiration at the end of TLJ is what makes it work for me. But that's the problem with TROS. There is so much plot, but often the motivations you need to fill in yourself because few of its events is driven by the characters). Or how the final space battle lacks the clear objectives the ones in the OT and Rogue One had, making it fall totally flat, ...

But in the end, despite all the stuff I didn't like of thought that didn't work, I really enjoyed the experience. I'm going on holiday this weekend and when I'm back in the new year I'll have a second watch. I'll probably discover stuff that answers some doubts I have now, but I'm not sure if my opinion of it will change a lot.

Reply on something from the now closed spoiler thread:
Yes, I did, thanks for the condescending response though. You're telling me that saber line wasn't deliberate? There was contempt for TLJ oozing from this thing.
Sorry if it came of as condescending, but hell, how can you say Luke believing in the Jedi again in this movie is shitting on TLJ, when Luke's story in TLJ is him going from 'The jedi must end with me' to 'I have to embrace my legacy and the Jedi order must be reborn'

Of course the saber line was deliberate. I love TLJ, I love the saber throw and it this line in TROS got a good chuckle out of me. It's a line that winks at the audience, but is also a line that is believable coming from a character that has come to see the errors of his ways and wants to prevent his pupil from making the same mistake again. So it's more than just a meta-joke.

And TROS builds way to much on what TLJ did to being contempting. There are some throwaway meta-lines that are squarly aimed at the audience to quelm some critiques/nitpicks like 'I made snoke' and 'Holdo is 1 in a milion'. And some stuff is unmotivated, like Kylo fixing his helmet (though you can read that as him being ready to become the new Emperor and feeling betrayed that Snoke was a puppet or something. But it's vague, like so much in this thing you have to fill in the motivations yourself because it's all underdevelopped)

But there is a lot in TROS that just continues where TLJ left of. It builds it's main character arc around the bond between Kylo and Rey again for instance. It has Rey making the same mistake as Luke on Ach-Too. It often even cleverly pays of set-ups that weren't even set-ups, like the Red 5 in the ocean shot, ...

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

That was always the case though. Behind all the chosen one bullshit was always Palpatine doing the heavy lifting.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could have worked but it seems like this movie establishes some pretty drastic changes to the force as far as how the Sith Operate

Status
Not open for further replies.