• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when there were rules, and you could only push and pull things with the force and not fold the universe in order to move solid matter with it?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need a poll for the worst line in the movie
And of course the winner is the holdo maneuver line with the one that comes after it

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I thought kylo simply used the last of his energy to heal Rey back from the brink. But most people seem to think she was actually dead and Kylo resurrected her, which according to the prequels is a MASSIVE NO NO

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
After hearing how much this was apparently a slap in the face to Rian I was surprised by how much there was that carried over.
  • Hyperspace tracking in the chase
  • Holdo's second in command
  • The Force tug of war, but over a ship instead of a lightsaber
  • The Force bond projections
  • Leia dying like Luke in Last Jedi
  • Talking about the Battle of Crait
  • The Holdo manuvure reinforced as special
  • The Jedi texts being useful

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I thought kylo simply used the last of his energy to heal Rey back from the brink. But most people seem to think she was actually dead and Kylo resurrected her, which according to the prequels is a MASSIVE NO NO
Rey establishes she healed the snake by transferring her life energy into it. Rey dies killing Palpatine and Ben out of love is willing to give all of his life energy to save rey

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when there were rules, and you could only push and pull things with the force and not fold the universe in order to move solid matter with it?

Frankly, the worst thing that happened to the Star Wars universe was attempting to codify what you can and can't do with the force, something I generally blame video games and other EU material for.

The Force is literally defined by "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit" and that's how it should stay now that Disney seems to have gone full bore with that interpretation.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The way I look at Skywalker/Palpatine is that they are families that were 'avatars' for the light and dark side of the force. Given the popular understanding of Anakin's birth they are, basically, the same lineage. Two sides of the same coin.

Rey choosing to be 'Rey Skywalker' is that coin landing light side up.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After hearing how much this was apparently a slap in the face to Rian I was surprised by how much there was that carried over.
  • Hyperspace tracking in the chase
  • Holdo's second in command
  • The Force tug of war, but over a ship instead of a lightsaber
  • The Force bond projections
  • Leia dying like Luke in Last Jedi
  • Talking about the Battle of Crait
  • The Holdo manuvure reinforced as special
The Holdo Manuever is even shown being used. During the end sequence over Endor the Star Destroyer destroyed there is shown to have been hyper jumped through

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The most charitable explanation I can come up with for Palpatine's plan is this:

Palpatine's original plan was to be killed by Rey, because apparently Sith apprentices inherit their masters' souls when they inevitably murder them. Palpatine wants Rey to be his host because she's got his special Destiny Genes or whatever, but he can't contact her directly, so he turns to Ben, whom he has been influencing for years through Snoke.

I have no idea how Snoke actually plays into Palpatine's plans because Snoke was very clearly planning to have Ben murder Rey, which is the opposite of what Palpatine wanted, but that's what's in the script.

At any rate, Palpatine contacts Ben and makes him his new apprentice. However, he knows that Ben is going to betray him, so he tells him to kill Rey, under the assumption that he'll do the opposite and bring her to him instead. Which isn't how it plays out at all, but somehow Rey ends up at Sheev's house of inadequate lighting anyway, and Palpatine attempts to bait her into killing him for the aforementioned reasons.

However, Rey doesn't fall for it, and Ben also gets there somehow despite not having a wayfinder anymore, or even a ride off the Death Star ruins. Palpatine gets annoyed and decides to kill them instead, but when he starts to do this by sucking out their life force, he discovers that their life force magically heals him instead because of Reasons. He then regenerates himself using their life force and drops the whole getting killed by Rey plan, since now he has his own body back. He then proceeds to squander this body by doing the exact same thing that spells his defeat in Episode 3, and doesn't exactly help in Episode 6.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from theater...I really enjoyed it. The blame falls on Kennedy for not creating a coherent trilogy which in turn caused the last Jedi not moving the story forward enough and JJ having to come back and move things at a breakneck speed. I enjoyed every bit of it though and I thought it was a solid send off. There were definitely some issues but overall I think this was my favorite of the final trilogy.
This echoes my thoughts 100%.

I feel this was a much needed course correction after TLJ and had to fix a bit of a mess, which hurt it a bit, but JJ did a bang-up job all things considered.

Most importantly, the saga got a worthy conclusion, and as an old guy who has been along for the ride from the start, I feel satisfied.

I know they're just films, and I'm not one to get into the ridiculous ott raging and stuff, but this has been strangely emotional for me. It is truly the end of an era (heh), and I'm left at a bit of a loose end.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew what kind of movie it was going to be right at the opening crawl.

Didn't need to wait half the movie or even 10 mins for that in my case lol.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Sheev fuck someone during between ep.3 and 4?
ezgif-1-cb17a3559a8b.gif

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My new head canon:

Palpatine as he is for most of the PT is Palpatine's real individual personality, when he goes crazy with UNLIMITED POWER and gets a deep, weird voice, that's the personalities of all the Rule of 2 Sith coming to the surface.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This is somewhat his fault in the first place.

Honestly, this is JJ's fault.

Rian was trying to give JJ as much of a blank slate as possible. If he was giving him sets up, JJ would have to follow up on those and I don't think Rian wanted to direct JJ on what to do but like the hack JJ is, he just decided to redo ROTJ but with nonsensical fanservice

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My only gripe is the final fight, Ben was robbed of his redemption fight, doing what neither his grandfather nor uncle could. Instead he goes to the hole like both of them did, it's the curse of the Skywalker family

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it!

the main cast is finally all together. They're going on an adventure. They visit interesting planets. They meet CRAZY cool eccentrics like mother fucking Babu Frik who is instantly iconic and scene stealing.

This cast is just so good. Driver is the best actor to ever appear in a Star Wars movie and I find and have always found Daisy Ridley extremely intense and compelling too.

Palp's lair is suitably evil as hell and creepy. Love his design. Love the chanting cultists (??)

pure Star Wars. Pure fun.

It has problems. Most notably Rey being a Palpatine feels like the ass-pull to end all ass pulls given that there has never been ONE ounce of a hint that he even had a kid. And that kid, the SON OF PALPATINE, literally sold his own daughter, rather than do anything else, to hide her from sheev, who was already dead...? Weird stuff.

but even so you can't claim it was never foreshadowed in this trilogy. Rey being drawn to the darkness in TLJ and never even really apologizing or thinking that it was wrong.

this trilogy is so good. A twisted, evil villain that remains tormented by a pull to reject that evil. A heroine unafraid to explore her dark side.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I had a convo with a coworker and his only reason for disliking it was because the Skywalkers are dead and the Palpatine bloodline gets to continue, even though it was made clear that she ditched that name to be a Skywalker. The Skywalkers have a curse, they are easy to manipulate to the dark side as we have seen with Anakin and Ben, they were redeemed by their final actions but a curse has to die and with it their story, so all in all it's a fitting conclusion to their saga and we can move on from there to other stories.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The Holdo Manuever is even shown being used. During the end sequence over Endor the Star Destroyer destroyed there is shown to have been hyper jumped through
This movie was so fast it definitely needs rewatches to catch all the details.

I hear when Rey gets the Jedi texts early in the movie you can see her lightsaber hilt being built on a desk.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Much like the other 2 movies in the sequel trilogy this one is very uneven. It is good, for the most part, but there are some really baffling moments that undercut the good stuff.

I really like what the series as a whole did with Kylo Ren..... right up to the very last thing they did with him.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Half of this movie was cleaning up his messes.
I actually smiled and wanted to laugh out loud at Luke's when he catches the saber. Him admitting to being wrong and actually being jedi like for those 2 mins he's on screen made me feel like this could be what old Luke actually might be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.