• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it's fanfic time? FINALLY. Enjoy my hack garbage for the various main character arcs:

KYLO/BEN: Supreme Leader Kylo Ren sits the throne, having achieved his dream of becoming a new Vader. He's a big strong boy, he has power... but he isn't satisfied. He can never get away from his true nature, he's haunted by the memory of killing Han, he's still bonded with Rey, Ghost Luke is giving him shit from beyond the grave, and Hux is leading a growing insurrection against him from within the First Order. Crazy idea: we let Oscar-nominee Adam Driver actually act this conflict rather than putting him back in a mask.

We're doing the Ben redemption plot, but I want the change to be Ben's choice after realising that the Kylo life isn't right for him, and I want to see him actually face his crimes on-screen and earn the redemption. Have him defect from the First Order, come to the Rebels with Rey and actually meet Finn, Poe, Chewie and the gang in person to help them stop the FO. Deal with the hard stuff on-fuckin'-screen, have him accept whatever punishment they give him. Ben Solo's job is to make up for his crimes as Kylo Ren, which is depicted as him literally fighting his figurative demons (i.e. the First Order). Adam Driver's not coming back after this movie no matter what, so I'm not fussed on whether Ben lives or dies, but I'd probably have him live just to leave the door open.

REY: Her shit is all fucked up after the nobody reveal. She knows she has friends who love her, but she can't accept it, and she's rudderless after confronting the lie she told herself for a lifetime. She throws herself into studying the Sacred Jedi Texts, mastering physical techniques but struggling with the spiritual side because of the aforementioned fucked-up-edness. I wanna see soul-searching, inner-struggle, crises of conscience, all the good stuff. More fighting and talking with Kylo, we get the third lesson with Ghost Luke, but ultimately the acceptance has to come from within and she has to find her own strength in being just Rey. Hopefully we come up with a more organic way of depicting this than a stranger walking by and demanding to know her last name :P

FINN: Rumours of the ex-Stormtrooper who joined the Resistance spread, and with the in-fighting amongst the First Order comes a lot more Stormtroopers defecting to the Resistance cause. Finn, who started the trilogy wanting to run away, has to deal with the fact that deserters are now coming to him. With some encouragement from his friends he accepts it, decides to lead, and goes out looking for more potential First Order deserters. General Finn, baby. In the final battle he lightspeeds in at a climactic moment, commanding his own Star Destroyer manned by a crew of turned FO troopers and turning the tide. He only screams Rey maaaaybe once or twice, and not because he's still in sad, unrequited love with her.

POE: Leader of a newly invigorated Resistance, with more and more joining them every day following Luke's final stand. He's coming to grips with being a jumped-up flyboy now in charge of a giant force, but he trusts that Leia and Holdo both saw something in him, and he starts thinking his plans through and leading with his head. By the end he oversees some clever tactical strategy in the big ending battle that avoids massive losses. And, I don't know, maybe at one point he takes over the controls of the capital ship he leads from and does a sweet manoeuvre in it to win the battle, just so we get a fun "one hell of a pilot" moment because we like Poe doing cool stuff.

MOTHERFUCKING AMBASSADOR ROSE TICO OF THE GODDAMN RESISTANCE: She's going around to systems that aren't quite yet on board with the Resistance, delivering her patented fiery anti-capitalism speeches and reaching hearts and minds. She gets some Mon Mothma-esque gowns, fuckin' slays in them, Yas Queen. Who needs a character arc, she's perfect already. The movie is called Star Wars: Episode IX: Saving What We Love, P.S. Fuck Reddit, and Kelly Marie Tran gets top billing.

SHEEV: Is not in this movie. He blew up in ROTJ, don't you remember? lol could you imagine bringing him back?

Quick notes:
- Finn and Poe kiss. It's real, boys and girls. Oscar Isaac visibly squirms with glee trying to keep it under wraps in all pre-release interviews. The official couple name is Foe Damerone-eight-seven.
- I'd have the Knights of Ren fleshed out a little and use them as the de facto leaders of the First Order after Kylo leaves, i.e. the final bosses of the movie. They don't all need to be fully-fledged characters, just basically a manifestation of Ben Solo's evil past that he can kill with a lightsabre at the end :P
- Hux is obviously still played for laughs and dies like a dog at the end. Maybe you have him puff his chest out thinking it's his big moment now that Kylo is gone, only to have him immediately pushed out of the limelight by the Knights and driven apoplectic with impotent Hux rage. I need at least one more Domhnall Gleeson screaming scene; I love him, and nobody gives him enough credit in these movies.
- Much as I love fantasizing about Reylo, I probably wouldn't actually do it on-screen. A romantic cheek caress, a deep gaze into eachothers' eyes, maybe, but those two have a long way to go before a kiss would feel earned. A casual, no-strings-attached fuck, though? Now we're talking. They're gonna fuck hard, you guys. Just blasting eachother for an uncomfortable length of time. Sweat flying everywhere. You see Adam Driver's balls a little.
- I legit have no idea what to do about Leia, and honestly I feel like having her die off-screen between movies might be the way to go. I mean, I know it sucks, but it's better than the ghastly CG double we actually got. Having her live but just stay off-screen for the whole movie just doesn't work for me, and I think there's a tasteful way to have the characters dedicate their fight to Leia's memory in the same way the movie itself is dedicated to Carrie's.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
Wait, that was a year? How did the resistance end up with nothing after a year of preparation? Why hasn't the First Order found them after all this time?

I mean... this means the First Order has recovered while the Resistance didn't do jack shit in a whole year. Wouldn't have it been better for Palpatine to announce himself immediately after Kylo Ren embarrassed himself?

It's frustrating how little world-building this movie does. We don't even know the state of the First Order.

Focusing on the fight scene, didn't Rey figure out that wouldn't work on Kylo Ren back in TFA? She had Leia's advice on how to fight him too so she would have known not to go hammering. It's basically a Skywalker trait.

The lack of world building was also a huge problem in The Force Awakens, basically no explanation for why the Resistance even exist when they won in Return of the Jedi, the First Order just appears with a Super Giant Death Star that blows up 5 planets and therefore the New Republic is gone. No explanation for what's happening in the core worlds, no explanation on what's happening in worlds that would be sympathetic to the New Republic like Mon Calamari or Kasshyk

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of world building was also a huge problem in The Force Awakens, basically no explanation for why the Resistance even exist when they won in Return of the Jedi, the First Order just appears with a Super Giant Death Star that blows up 5 planets and therefore the New Republic is gone. No explanation for what's happening in the core worlds, no explanation on what's happening in worlds that would be sympathetic to the New Republic like Mon Calamari or Kasshyk

Thinking about it now, world building has always been a problem for Abrams movies, which ties into his derivative and nostalgia fueled film style.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
My cringeworthy headcanon version of Episode IX:

- Leia dies offscreen between films, never having recovered fully from her injuries in TLJ. Open with her funeral and have Kylo attempt to use the Force Bond to see it, only for Rey to block him. He flies into one of his rages again.
- Luke's reappearance has strengthened the Resistance and they are now bold enough to start rallying smaller systems across the galaxy. Poe is the new Leia and Rose is in an Ackbar-type position.
- Rey uses some Professor X type meditation skill learned from the ancient texts to sense others who can feel the Force, she seeks them out and tries to recruit them (these were Leia's last instructions). Finn goes with her and begins to feel the Force. They often run into First Order troops on their missions and Finn has convinced some other stormtroopers to defect. Occasionally they run into a Knight of Ren.
- The First Order have taken control of the core worlds and are building their military strength, but are divided due to Kylo's contentious leadership. He spends most of his time in his throne room, seemingly arguing with nobody (in reality Luke's ghost) and has the Knights of Ren (former students of Luke) searching the galaxy for Rey. Hux and the other generals plan to overthrow him.
- Ren learns that Rey is recruiting Force sensitives and manages to use the Force Bond to sense where Rey is going for her next recruitment mission, both he and the Knights set out after her.
- The FO generals are furious that he is not focusing on fighting the Resistance, and they make their move. When Kylo is in his TIE fighter heading down to face Rey they fire on him, the ship crashes. The Knights side with the FO generals and abandon Kylo.
- Down on the planet a near-death Kylo is saved by some friendly locals. Rey and Finn arrive at the same little village and recruit one of the local youths. Rey sensed Kylo's crash through the bond and goes to see him along with Finn and their new recruit. Despite everything she takes pity on him, saying the same "I did want to take your hand" line from TROS. This surprises Ben and when he sees Finn guarding the Force sensitive kid in the doorway, the flicker of light inside him begins to stir.
- Rey and Finn leave, assuming Kylo will die. He has some severe burns and one arm is non-functional. As he sleeps, he hears Leia's voice calling to him. He dreams that he is back on that gantry inside Starkiller base, facing down his father again. The scene plays out as in TROS. He vows to erase the First Order forever and atone for what he's done.
- Finn returns with the kid to Resistance HQ while Rey travels to Ahch-To. She needs to clear her head after her encounter with Kylo. She speaks with Luke's ghost and he tells her that Ben Solo has returned. He gives her Leia's lightsaber and Rey heads off for the final battle.
- Supreme Leader Hux deploys his fleet and engages the Resistance across the galaxy. Hux's HQ is the old Senate building on Coruscant, he remains there guarded by the Knights of Ren while the generals lead the battle on other worlds.
- Poe and Rose join Chewie in the Falcon and engage the First Order in orbit around Coruscant. Many normal people are involved in the space battle with their own personal ships. Finn, BB8 and Rey manage to get down to the surface and plan to sneak into Hux's HQ and force him to surrender. The former stormtroopers join them.
- Ben recovers some strength and at a Mos Eisley-style spaceport, trades his lightsaber for a rickety old starship. He heads for Coruscant.
- Finn and the stormtroopers secure the entrance to the FO HQ and stay there to guard it. Ben sneaks through the battle above unnoticed in his tiny old ship. He reaches the Senate building. Finn senses that his has rejoined the light and the stormtroopers allow him to enter. As he is unarmed, Finn tosses him the blaster that Han gave Rey. He is wearing a basic brown poncho and keeps his useless arm covered.
- Rey finds Hux, who retreats behind some blast doors and lets the Knights deal with Rey. She dispatches a couple of them but is outmatched. Their leader is extremely strong and hurls Rey into a wall, where she crumples to the floor. Hux gloats from his sealed chamber. Finn senses Rey is losing the fight and runs to help.
- BB8, hiding in a vent, begins to broadcast what's going on inside the FO HQ, sending the message across the galaxy. More and more normal people join the battle and the FO begin to suffer heavy losses.
- Ben uses his knowledge of the FO security systems to sneak into Hux's chamber from behind. He subdues him, leads him out and orders him to stand down the First Order. Before he can speak the head Knight shoots him dead. Ben does the Han "shrug" and Rey throws him Leia's lightsaber.
- Two knights remain, the head knight attacks Ben while the other one deals with Rey. He is about to strike her down when Finn appears and uses the Force to freeze him in place. Rey stabs him and both she and Finn help Ben fight the leader. Finn picks up a spear dropped by one of the other Knights and he, Rey and Ben all smite the last Knight at the same time.
- The First Order are completely wiped out in the various space battles, with Poe using some fancy flying moves to win the battle above Coruscant. The Resistance has won.
- Resistance ships land on Coruscant and people storm the Senate building in celebration. We see the images being broadcast around the galaxy. At the Resistance HQ the potential Jedi recruits (of various ages) join the celebration.
- For a brief moment, Finn, Rey and Ben are alone in Hux's chamber. He surrenders to them, kneels and accepts whatever punishment is deemed necessary. Sensing the good in him, they drag him to his feet. They thank him and hope he can right the wrongs he did as Kylo Ren. As the Resistance troops arrive to celebrate with Finn and Rey, the pair allow Ben to quietly escape through the rear entrance.
- Epilogue (no dialogue like all previous ones until TROS): Ben now travels the galaxy as a lone wanderer, seeking out Force sensitives who need help. A young slave girl is forced to entertain bystanders with "magic" tricks using her Force powers. Ben (still only able to use one arm) shoots the slavers with Han's blaster and we get a glimpse of Leia's saber on his belt. He rescues the girl and as he walks away, closes his eyes and calls to Rey using their bond. Rey is on the meditation stone at the temple on Ahch-To. She nods her head and opens her eyes. She walks through the temple and out into the grounds, where many students young and old, are studying the texts and using the Force. Finn is among them. Rey walks in front of the old tree that Yoda set on fire, now growing again. She sees the ghosts of Luke and Leia standing there, smiling. Cue Force Theme + credits.

Oct 28, 2017
Just thought about something which I can't believe I didn't notice before but....

Chewie's rescue must have been a late stage reshoot idea because you NEVER SEE HIM IN ONE SCENE ON ENDOR. He's not in the group shots on the planet's surface. He's not seen fixing stuff on the Falcon. He's not in the movie at all. Omg this movie is such a mess

Oct 27, 2017
Just thought about something which I can't believe I didn't notice before but....

Chewie's rescue must have been a late stage reshoot idea because you NEVER SEE HIM IN ONE SCENE ON ENDOR. He's not in the group shots on the planet's surface. He's not seen fixing stuff on the Falcon. He's not in the movie at all. Omg this movie is such a mess
Good catch. I'd love to see a behind the scenes book or documentary of this movie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Did a little fanfiction in the other thread:

First off:

- Do not do shit with Leia. She dies in between movies and the movie either starts with her funeral or the heroes being down because without Leia, they face a leadership vaccuum and none of our characters consider themselves strong enough to take up the mantle of Leia. I get that the third movie was supposed to be Leia's movie, but she died in between, so unfortunately nature came in between the plans. Taking that unused footage and splicing it up with CG only made things incredibly awkward and unnatural.

- No new big bad. We're working with the villains from the first two movies. No 'IT WAS ME ALL ALONG' reveal because that's incredibly stupid. Sheev is were he should be, dead in the smoldering ruins of the Second Death Star.

---------

So let's go:

Star Wars Ep. IX as told by CloudWolf:

- Rey's conflict comes from within. The words of Luke are in her mind, his will to destroy the Jedi, while clearly wrong, still reverberated. Clearly, Jedi of the past did something wrong. Maybe they need to be reformed and she, as the last Jedi and with the original Jedi texts in her possession, can maybe create a new, better order. Now, this could be controversial, but she actually takes a rather passive role in the film, trying to figure out what went wrong and how to improve on the past. In the end, of course, she will figure out what has to be done and goes to confront Kylo.

- Poe's storyline will be that of him assuming the leadership role and growing into it. In The Last Jedi he learned that jumping headfirst into battle isn't necessarily always the answer and this would be an extension of that arc. Him learning what it means to lead people, to have people look up to you and count on you. This is important as Poe realizes that in order for a First Order to never happen again, they need to think about how to create a new and lasting rulership system as the New Republic clearly didn't work.

- Finn's story will focus on him trying to take down the First Order from within. He realizes that he cannot have been the only one with the ability to shake free from his indoctrination and goes looking for ways to get more Stormtroopers out of the First Order's control. He and Rose go deep undercover within the First Order to be able to do this. A task that is even harder than it looks because...

- The First Order is in turmoil after the events of The Last Jedi. The death of Snoke and the clear disapproval of the upper command of Kylo's methods and temper has split the faction right in two and Hux and his loyalists are in open revolt against Kylo Ren. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren is being tortured by visions of Luke, who is the light side equivalent of what Palpatine was for Anakin. Luke feels that Kylo is still being tortured by the call to the light and now Snoke's dead, there is no 'master' making sure Kylo doesn't stray from the dark. He also uses the fact that a big part of The First Order rose up against him as leverage against Kylo: he's alone in the world and will never be the dark leader that Snoke or Darth Vader were (I would imagine Luke also uses the 'even Vader turned to the light side'-argument).

- The tales of the Battle of Crait and the fact that the First Order is weak and instable is the spark needed for various systems to break free of the First Order's grasp and join up with the Resistance. They're growing in numbers and preparing for the final assault.

- The end conflict will include the remnants of the Resistance + the free systems vs. the First Order under leadership of Hux. Two fleets gather for a final assault, with the biggest First Order army thus far. Despite the infighting, The First Order still remains incredibly strong and victory seems unlikely and costly. However, when Hux orders everyone to attack... nothing happens. The Stormtroopers instead turn on the leadership of the First Order. Finn and Rose did it, they turned off the mind control/were able to turn most Stormtroopers loyal to their cause. The few troops still loyal to the First Order, mainly the commanders, are rounded up. A few are killed as they try to fight against the 'betrayal' of the Stormtroopers, but mostly the final battle happens without much loss of life. Hux immediately surrenders as he's a little cowardly shit.

- Meanwhile somewhere else, away from the First Order (Ahch-To or some other planet, but for the thematic importance, let's go for Ahch-To), Kylo is looking for anwers to his doubt within himself. Luke has gotten to him, he doubts his role as a leader and as a disciple of the Dark Side. Rey meets him and challenges him. This leads to a short lightsaber duel, which Rey easily wins as Kylo is just done. He begs Rey to kill him, as he's a failure. She refuses. Rey talks with him about her new order, her new ideas. How she needs him on her side to make it work... the last two Force users.

Kylo silently nods and retires his identity as Kylo Ren. However, Ben isn't joining Rey. He says he has to much to atone for, in his quest for power he killed hundreds of people and ordered/was indirectly responsible for a billion more. He can't join Rey's new order, as he knows that he will be attracted by the Dark Side and he can't be free from his deeds as Kylo Ren. He says he will cut himself off from the Force and go into exile, to atone for his crimes. He says his farewell to Rey before leaving in his Tie Fighter.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I fixed it

X7yaWsq.png

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
If I had seen this movie on release day before reading any reviews I would've thought that the overall consensus was: it's good!

shit Only reason I took so long to watch it is cause I thought it was gonna be bad

Oct 25, 2017
Fan fic time? Fan fic time.

Start

- Opening of the film, set up that the FO is losing the war. Their rush to conquest and occupation combined with the losses of SKB and their flagship caused immense strain on their grip of the galaxy.
- FO is losing ISDs and cannot replace them fast enough due to the Resistance taking key shipyards and the loss of their flagship as a mobile shipyard leaves them vulnerable
- Because of them losing the war Kylo's hold on FO leadership is loosening as Hux and other generals constantly try to overrule him and take the strategy of the FO over behind his back.
- Kylo having the full resources of the FO finds a sith holocron in Snoke's collection where he sees a vision of a fleet of KOTOR era Sith Empire ships mothballed away in the unknown regions.
- Kylo dumps all of his attention to this trying to find clues as whispers of ancient sith information on where the fleet is. Getting their hands on this fleet would give FO enough numbers to end the war.
- FO is having issues keeping troopers in line due to their accelerated training and brainwashing. They're forced to forcibly conscript adults as children cannot replace their mounting losses.
- FO conscripts are only troopers, the officer class is to remain pure by direction of Hux.
- Finn, Poe, and Rey are planet hoping helping key campaigns tipping the scales
- Finn gets a feeling looking at the map of the frontlines and gets the trio to investigate a FO cruiser that went awol from a battlegroup.
- They find Jannah and a band of former FO troopers who rebeled after learning of Finn and how Phasma died at the hands of Finn.
- Turned troopers get a captured officer to reveal Kylo's hunt for the fleet in the unknown regions
- Trio splits up. Rey goes to find info from Luke's mementos and research into the past of the Jedi-sith empire wars. Poe goes out to get together a fleet of alliance ships to try to find this fleet first and use them against the FO. Finn and Jannah devise a way to get a signal to the troopers of the FO and get as many as they can to turn against the FO.
- Rey finds a clue to an ancient jedi-sith battleground where there is a sith holocron among one of the dead Sith masters. Kylo was also lead there and they clash. Kylo manages to get his hands on the holocron and gets the vision of how to get to the fleet.
- Rey gets the vision too and the both break off to get their people there first
- Kylo gets to Exogul first with transports of officers, where the fleet is located and finds the Sith temple like in TroS.
- Sith temple is there with an empty throne. There are cloning facilities and a whole stadium of Sith caretakers of the fleet.
-Pryde enters as leader of the Sith eternal waiting the heir of the Sith Empire for return.
- Kylo takes the throne and orders his officers and Pryde to take the new fleet out and begin the campaign to end the war.
- Sith fleet has enter a bottleneck to get to open space from Exogul and once the first batch of ships get through the alliance fleet arrives and starts to engage the Sith ships.
- Rey has a plan to get to Exogul and confront Kylo in finality but needs an opening to get past the fleet.
-Poe commands the lead ship and gets a push to break the Sith lines so Rey can squeeze through.
- Sith ships are old but still very capable and more and more come though
- Poe then goes into his fighter and with a small squadron escorts the Falcon and Rey past the last inch to get her though.
- Sith ships are still pouring through the bottleneck and beginning to overwhelm the Alliance fleet
-Finn and Jannah take their former FO ship and troopers and attack a communications relay and record a message that will transmit directly to troopers once a FO wide general transmission is sent by Kylo.
- Rey arrives on Exogul and Kylo sits on the Sith throne watching the battle unfold.
-Kylo offers her one last chance to join him and threatens the Alliance fleet with complete destruction.
- Rey refuses as she sees him as too far gone
- Kylo the sends a transmission to all FO ships to converge on the battle and eliminate the Alliance fleet.
- We see FO ships pulling out of planetary orbits from all over and also see Finn and Jannah's transmissions going directly to troopers like order 66
- FO ships arrive at the battle seemingly surrounding the Alliance fleet, launching Ties and making their way directly into the fray.
- We see Poe's group in the middle of Sith ships getting cut down by overwhelming odds.
- Poe then gets a transmission from the FO flagship and it's troopers without their helmets and Hux and other officers in cuffs behind them.
- FO Ties and ships go right past the Alliance fleet and begin to engage the Sith ships.
-Finn and Jannah arrive as well and lead a battle group to rescue Poe's ships.
- The tide is turning with the Sith ships losing at the combined might of the free troopers and Alliance.
- Rey and Kylo clash in the Sith arena
-As the battle is turning to the Alliance's favor Finn get a feeling that Rey is alone fighting Kylo and after rescuing Poe takes his group through the jumps to Exogul
- As Rey and Kylo clash they see the FO ships jump in over the skies Kylo proclaims victory and Rey looks like she is losing.
- The FO ships then start attacking the docks where the remaining Sith ships are attempting to leave
-Rey senses that it's Finn and turns the tables on Kylo dealing a mortal wound.
- The docks explode and begins to rain debris on Exogul.
- Rey leaves Kylo for dead refusing to execute him and returns to the Falcon to dock with Finn and Jannah's ship.
- Kylo dying and alone seesLuke as a ghost Who says it's never too late and outstretches his arm.
- Kylo takes his arms and fades away with Luke.
-

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Ok, my sloppily written fan fic from the other thread (that's leaving a lot of blanks that need to be filled in, but whatever; it's a work in progress)

Focus the film on the theme of the small band of resistance fighters being the spark that burns down the First Order. Instead of just blowing up another military installation or something like that, they inspire a revolution with the First Order itself and the rest of the galaxy. The First Order is even more unstoppable than before, and it's their sheer numbers that's the enormous threat, not some Death Star-like weapon, as they've convinced most people throughout the galaxy that they'd better join or die. After all, the Resistance has almost completely been wiped out. Hux is the main organizer of this "Final Order," whose ideology of hatred and violence is infecting the galaxy like a virus. Clearly the Resistance needs a miracle.

Enter Rey with the miracle. Rey teaches them after discovering among the sacred texts something Luke had been working on himself (she thinks that this must be his final lesson -- it's not, but we'll come back to that later), a text that shows how force users can actually share their abilities with non-force users and vice versa (although some are still more naturally gifted with the force, but they come to realize they're just conduits of a power that doesn't actually belong to them). Thing is, it's all just kind of theoretical, and if it doesn't work, it could kill the jedi who attempts it. But what do you know? Rey tries it, and it works! So they think the way to beat the Final Order is to convince force adepts in hiding to come out and join them and help share their powers because with this new ability, they stand a chance.

Finn could be pivotal with winning over members of the Final Order to the new spiritual movement called the Skywalkers (or maybe you don't have to go that far but simply have a line about how they're all inspired by Luke's example and in a sense we're all Skywalkers now!), and Poe and Rose with the common folk and those already sympathetic to the Resistance. Rey also helps them make it a kind of spiritual movement based on a more egalitarian, non-elitist Jedism.

So with their great new movement, they try to defeat them the usual way at first, by blowing a lot of shit up, but combining their power to do all kinds of awesome force shit isn't enough, they realize, as the Knights of Ren return with the knowledge that they can do the same from ancient sith texts they'd been searching for. So at this point we have the Resistance and the First Order all battling it out, with even non-force users blasting lightning out of their hands and doing incredible leaps and stuff like that, but it's clear that the Final Order's going to win through sheer numbers.

However, the good guys can do something the bad guys can't -- "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

This makes for the most completely fucking epic battle you can possibly imagine as you have common folk across the galaxy being brave enough to make the ultimate sacrifice, including all the "little people" -- ewoks, Jawas, etc. and even some of the more powerful -- Hutts, other gangsters, rich folk on Canto Bight, etc., joining in to combine their power to create an extraordinary beatific vision of force ghosts broadcasting a message of love and forgiveness (this is also a great opportunity to bring back the force ghosts of Han Solo, Leia, Mace Windu, whoever). It's also a nice opportunity to kind of recap the whole saga in showing the audience people from everywhere in the Star Wars universe working together, whether they're from Cloud City or Tatooine or Endor. We get to see DJ, Lando, etc. one last time in this manner. Luke reveals that he actually already taught Rey his final lesson when he sacrificed himself back in TLJ, and this is his same lesson to the entire galaxy -- that while you may win momentarily, you cannot ultimately defeat violence with violence.

It would be kind of like how Luke Skywalker throws away his lightsaber instead of killing Darth Vader, but a galaxy-wide scale act of non-violence. Kylo eventually turns and dies a martyr to the Knights of Ren (this is a big deal, as they represent the most fanatical element of the Final Order and insidious, seductive allure of their message of hatred -- they're like members of the alt-right who have convinced young, impressionable people like Kylo Ren to base their weak sense of self-identity on belonging to a group that's ostensible superior; their vision is a force-wielding master race), which is the decisive act that gets the rest of the Final Order to lay down its arms, even though victory is within its grasp.

In other words, peace comes to the galaxy at long last through THE POWER OF LOVE.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
If I had seen this movie on release day before reading any reviews I would've thought that the overall consensus was: it's good!

shit Only reason I took so long to watch it is cause I thought it was gonna be bad

Lol yeah fandoms are a trip, I enjoyed the movie and it bring me an odd pleasure reading people bitch about it I guess lol.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Honestly, the movie lost me during the opening crawl when it announced that unbeknownst to the audience, Palpatine had been releasing podcasts about his inevitable return...for some reason.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
While on the topic of fan fiction.... I want to see George Lucas's episode IX with the midichlorians and Whills in the microbiotic world protecting everyone from Emperor Cos Dashit and his mastery of the Bogan. And have force ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda protecting Rey from the Emperor's force lightning like in the early drafts of Revenge of the Jedi. To keep it separate from the main saga Disney can name it... Adventures of the Starkiller: Episode IX - Revenge of the Whills.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Was just rewatching The Last Jedi and everything involving Rey, Luke and Kylo makes even more sense now. TROS enhanced TLJ. Especially Rey being a Palpatine from Luke asking 'who are you?' to being scared of her saying 'your went straight to the dark!' to Kylo saying in the elevator that he knows she will turn to the dark side because he saw who her parents are. Now I don't believe that the story group decided on Rey being a Palpatine from the start but I don't think that is necessary as long as a continuation (not a retcon) makes sense.

Unfortunately Poe and Finn's storylines aren't as strong during this trilogy... probably because the creators focuses on Rey and Kylo and the original trilogy cast but I think Poe and Finn could be enhanced more with other side stories (Disney+ series, anthology movies etc). I'm glad I got to see the end of Han, Leia and Luke's stories and I'm looking forward to seeing what new Star Wars stories will do with this new cast of characters in the future.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Finally saw it again.

Liked it better/even more the 2nd time.
Pacing isn't as bad when you aren't trying to keep up with what's happening, I was able to digest and "feel" more of the key moments better and unlike my first viewing, I was genuinely moved a few times.

Makes me really look forward to the inevitable animated follow up, so I can spend more time
With the cast - love the characters.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Was just rewatching The Last Jedi and everything involving Rey, Luke and Kylo makes even more sense now. TROS enhanced TLJ. Especially Rey being a Palpatine from Luke asking 'who are you?' to being scared of her saying 'your went straight to the dark!' to Kylo saying in the elevator that he knows she will turn to the dark side because he saw who her parents are. Now I don't believe that the story group decided on Rey being a Palpatine from the start but I don't think that is necessary as long as a continuation (not a retcon) makes sense.

Unfortunately Poe and Finn's storylines aren't as strong during this trilogy... probably because the creators focuses on Rey and Kylo and the original trilogy cast but I think Poe and Finn could be enhanced more with other side stories (Disney+ series, anthology movies etc). I'm glad I got to see the end of Han, Leia and Luke's stories and I'm looking forward to seeing what new Star Wars stories will do with this new cast of characters in the future.

I largely
Agree.

I saw TROS, watched TLJ again, watched TROS again and I actually do feel when you can digest them both they do help enhance each other. Especially Rey and Kylo. Such great characters.

I want to see more of their force bond during the time skip and how close they became.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how would you guys feel if they decide to make a Mara Jade film(s) and bring back the Emperor for at least the first one. Thoughts?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how would you guys feel if they decide to make a Mara Jade film(s) and bring back the Emperor for at least the first one. Thoughts?

Having Mara Jade carrying Luke's lovechild and thereby invalidating TROS, and really, the entire ST in general, would indeed be quite poetic justice.

But please, no more Sheev. They have once chance to bring him back and make it good, and they ruined it.

Nov 13, 2017

I'm literally watching it in the theater right now and this is not true. He is in the shots.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think it was as terrible as I was expecting just saw it for the first time tonight , while it did kind of feel like fan fiction in some way , it ended the sequel trilogy . It's not some abomination like I thought it would be based on word of mouth / reviews.

I know on this forum it's heresy for me to say this but I liked it more than endgame as a wrap up movie.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
My rewatch of TROS is on for Sunday. I will give a one-sentence re-review then but I need to make something right first.

I said that TROS was on the people who complained about TLJ for 2 years and posted a meme that was then reposted somewhat early in this topic.
That was shitty of me. Every one of you who didn´t go ape against Rian, Kelly Marie and so on was 100% valid in their opinions on that film. Regardless if they line up with mine or not. Really thinking about that film and (re-)watching interviews about it from before, during and after the production just proved to me this very week what a flawed film it is on a basic writing level. I just papered over and explained too much away to make the film make sense to me. That doesn't make it shit but that doesn´t make it good either. But even that shouldn´t matter! Everyone's opinion on films is always valuable as long as it is constructive.

If any of you that had long rooted problems with TLJ or TFA felt mocked by me I hope that this reaches you. The problems (and strengths) of TROS or any of the other films, like all 12 of them, are on the people who make them. Not you the fans. Never. And yes, me too.
We just want to have a good time with the products the studio(s) offer us. We just want Star Wars to be good.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I say why not. They already brought back Palpatine to totally ruin the original trilogy so why not just keep bringing him back? Have him show up in the High Republic era too, why not? You don't need to actually create cool new bad guys when you can just bring Palpatine back again.

I would love to see Mara Jade, though. The only problem is the sequel trilogy fucks up Luke's story so badly that you can't actually do anything with it any more. I mean, he trained maybe a dozen people over thirty years and none of them went on to train their own apprentices and no Jedi that were hiding from the Empire joined his Jedi Order, either. Then of course we know everyone dies anyway because the only way Disney knows how to create tension is to kill all the Jedi again.

Status
Not open for further replies.