• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go play today, taking my Vader-Stele-Fel list. No idea if i can play it though, gonna be tough. Equipped with Gas Clouds, since i figured they'd be the safest option.

Hopefully i've remembered to pack everything... got some kind of screw box (or something like it) for various tokens, very handy.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that went well. Victory! Lost Stele but he got the rockets off with 4x crit total (think one was from Marksman) though i forgot the pilot ability, ironically my target was Stele as well...

Really liked the list. Need to fly a bit more carefully perhaps, avoid unnecessary head-on fights but otherwise, it is good.

Wish i had had time to play another game. Maybe next Monday...

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! I've been unable to play since before the previous wave released, but as soon as things settle down, I'm catching up with all the new content and getting some friends in on the game!

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First game with the Republic and Separatists. My brother went with the Republic, Sinker, Wolfe, Luminara, cannon fodder Gold Squaddie. I had a couple of Trade drones, Grievous and Maul.
I won, largely because my brother couldn't deal damage to my big shots. Grievous is either dodging or face tanking stuff, and Maul's just a murder machine.
Have a feeling Maul might be a tad too cheap (80pts for Scimitar, Hate, Perceptive Co-pilot), but then again first game with new factions so hard to say.
Scimitar title was a bit dubious on Maul. Sure, the initial cloak is useful for finding a good position but really hard to use later on. But i suppose positioning early on with extra defense may be worth 4 points. Didn't really have anything else i could've gotten for those points.

Highlight of the game was me doing a "self-block", in order to prevent Maul from touching Sinker, i flew a droid against Sinker so that Maul would get stuck to the droid.
Unfortunately i miscalculated slightly and landed on an asteroid with Maul...

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I figured I'd post an update as to how my day went. I've been a bit busy all week so I'm sorry I didn't get around to it sooner, if anyone actually does happen to be interested. Here's a link to the standings for the day: https://tabletop.to/sc-hyperspace-trial. I placed 29 out of 43 (or 42, since I see now that 43 includes a player who registered and wound up not being able to make it that day). This is kind of a review of how the event went for me as a whole, and not just how the list handled, so hang in there please (I promised elsewhere that I'd post how the day went, so I'm going to copy-paste it there when I'm done typing).

It was the biggest event I've been to yet. The amount of people the last two Store Championships drew wasn't too far off from that, but we didn't have players coming from as far away and the day didn't go as long in those events. This one ran started a bit after 10AM and I left around 8:30PM after prizes were handed out to everyone that made Top 16, so that I could show support for other locals. It was my first six-game day. The local community showed up in force but there were a lot of people who drove from hours away; people from all over the state showed up, Krayts from NC made appearances (making me super-jealous of their custom Krayt Cup "Kamino" playmats), and players from Atlanta even made the trip. I met a lot of cool people for sure.

The event is kind of making some news on the main FFG forums, the X-Wing subreddit, and an X-Wing podcast out of Florida over how it was handled (as well as events this TO has handled in Florida apparently). I'm not posting here to talk about that but it involves issues like the store not being correctly notified as to how the tournament was being ran and what time it would end, causing players with 0 or 1 win at the end of match five being asked to drop so the store could make room for a YGO card tournament, and a streamed match being stopped shortly after beginning and the players asked to final salvo for a score because the store wanted the streaming room for something else (among other issues spelled out in a lengthy google doc that is floating around which someone made to send to FFG).

The venue wasn't bad, for being a place almost everyone there had never played in and didn't know what to expect. Tables were mostly not good; they were standard white card tables pushed together that left a hump running through the middle of every mat. One table had a mat that was hanging about an inch over the side of the table, cutting some space off of the side of the game of whoever played on it. They are a sort of game cafe and sell food and drinks, though I didn't try any food. The store looked like a good place to play in though and had a good selection of demo games. They knocked 50% off of all 1.0 stuff for the day (I regretted not buying the C-ROC, a Silencer, and a Decimator at those prices). Space for large events such as this one wasn't that great though, as we learned after the aforementioned Yu Gi Oh tournament got close to starting and suddenly the amount of people in the store more than doubled and card game players were in everyone else's way; I was watching the game of one person I knew, in round 5, who had to keep pausing his game as groups of people kept pushing past him carrying chairs on their backs while he was getting ready to roll dice for an attack. It definitely irritated me seeing trains of people interrupt him while excusing themselves, so I can only imagine how he felt.

A couple mistakes made by me that did not involve how I played:

-I was not properly hydrated. I understand the importance of being well-hydrated for a regular day of playing but failed to drink much water in the days leading up to the event. Maybe for a regular event at the main store that hosts OP days I would have been fine but the temperature in this particular venue that ran the Trials was insanely hot. Everyone was drenched in sweat and downing water all day. I drank a ton of it but waiting until the day-of to begin hydrating means you are way behind. I know the importance of being properly hydrated from my military days but didn't do so and have no one but myself to blame.

-I did not stretch before the event. This is something I've never seen suggested, unlike tips like drinking water and bringing snacks, or bringing deodorant to stay 'fresh.' It's now something I won't forget. The constant up-down in and out of my chair, combined with standing during the match and standing around in between matches, as well as being tensed up during my matches because of the stress, left me very sore afterward. My calves were stiff for like three days after the event. I'll be stretching at the beginning from now on.

Now for the actual game play. I liked the list quite a bit and would even consider flying it in extended. I had some really good opponents though who definitely outflew me and some times where I just blanked out on strategy and didn't know how to handle what I was facing. I didn't do as badly as I could have done though, especially with my last matches before this day being more than four months ago, so I'm ok with my performance I guess. Though doing better and getting dice would have made my day, middle of the bottom half is probably where I deserve to be. I had high hopes when I was 2 and 2, when the matches I had lost were not blowouts but also I had scored a decent amount of points in the ones I had won. But I knew I needed to have a strong showing in the next two. Early on in match five I realized I was not only going to lose but lose badly to someone who wound up making the cut.

I agonized for quite a while over whether I should equip the Shield Upgrade on Fel or not. I decided that if I took the shield I'd lose points off the bid, and I thought the bid would be really important. I figured that either way I would wind up regretting not going with the other option: either I keep the large bid and see Fel get one-shotted multiple times and wish he had a shield, or I take the shield and run into other lists that beat me on the bid by a few points and wish I had not brought the shield. I beat everyone on bids (I'd have to look on the list but I may have had the largest bid there) and the matches I won made good use out of it; I doubt I'd have won those without it. Fel didn't immediately blow up too much though; I waited all day for it to happen and it took until match 5 for him to blow up in one attack.

Here's a run-down of the games I played:

First round was a match against a First Order list comprised of a Kylo Silencer with Hate on it and two more generic Silencers. Went to time, 93-69 in my opponent's favor. I was only able to get half points on Kylo and another Silencer.

Round Two was against some of the day's popular ships. My opponent flew a Cassian Andor U-Wing with Leia on it, Braylen and Ten Numb in B-Wings, and an X-Wing piloted by Thane Kyrell. I wound up taking that after time was called, 150-38.

Third Round was a fight against an Atlanta player. He flew a list that was a bit similar to the last one: Cassian in a U-Wing with Leia, Wedge instead of Thane, and Braylen and Ten Numb B-Wings. I started the game off suuuuuuper-slow and was far away from any engagements for a long time, because I wanted his blob of Rebel ships to split up so I could pick them off. He flew them perfectly and did not split them up ever, so I eventually decided that I needed to commit to some kind of attack. I botched that and it was a loss for me after time was called at 65-25.

The fourth engagement was against a guy who plays in Charlotte. He flew an Imperial list and finally my 15pt bid came in handy. It was Major Vermiel in a Reaper, Fel, and a Vader kitted out the same as mine. I killed the Reaper in one round of fighting and got half points on the rest; he got half points on Stele. 151-27 me.

Fifth round was a match against a player who made top 8 flying something similar to my second and third match. Cassian in a U-Wing with Leia, Ten Numb, Than Kyrell, and a generic Y-Wing. I tried to bait her into chasing Vader and she then did what I was hoping my opponent would do in round three and split them up, but then she brought them together at the perfect moment and melted Stele and destroyed Fel. I had left him too close one round and decided I needed to go on the offensive to keep him alive so I flew the other two to his rescue and they paid the price. Vader had no hope except to take out a Y-Wing before blowing up. 200-45, my loss

Sixth and last round was a battle against two Firesprays with lots of bombs and mines. My opponent flew Emon and Krassis. Stele died to bombs fast and Fel got blown up quick too, but not before he and Vader put enough damage on Emon for Vader to kill him later. Krassis had full health and Vader was in a bad spot. I debated throwing in the towel and stated my intention to my opponent, but then I acknowledged that he probably drove out to actually play games and not have people quit, so I played it through. Vader died a round or two later, making it my opponent's win at 200-95.

So 29th place. About middle of the bottom half. Not as bad as I was worried about though, so that's good. Despite the heat in there, I had a lot of fun still. Glad I got to play for the first time in months. It got me wanting to go to the System Open in Atlanta in two weeks but I don't think I can manage that one. That is also a 4+ hour drive for me, compared to the hour to get to this event.

Thanks for the advice. The list is great, just maybe not the person flying it so much. But I did have some tough competition too, so I don't want to take anything away from them. That rebel list with Leia in it is a tough one as well; I've seen the complaints in a lot of places after facing it and I'm not going to call for nerfs or anything, just acknowledge that it is a hard one to beat.

Thanks again though-

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Holy cow, some of those issues with the store sound terrible... and a bit bizarre in certain cases, like they wanting to move out the streamed players or asking players to drop. Doesn't sounds exactly a place I would like to return, although all the venues and events I have in my area may make me a bit more selective than I would be with less options around.

And well done on the tournament itself. 2-4 isn't bad at all, especially considering what did you play. Those 4 Rebel lists are TOUGH, and playing three of them is quite a pain. IMHO Leia needs a points increase for sure, but even without her those lists are really, really good. She just makes them nasty.

I'm really curious on that last Firespray list. Sure, Krassis is great if you use secondary weapons, but there's plenty of room to bring Boba out so it feels... weird. Not that I don't like or approve it. I mean, I'm the guy who, in 1.0, went with fucking Emon to two Opens* and an European Championship XD

*A third in a month, but 2.0 Emon is night and day with his 1.0 version. Tomorrow I'll test the list I want to use for the Open in my club's tournament, essentially the same I used on a recent Hyperspace but with some Extended toys (aka Maul crew). I'm still not sure what I will use in the HS in two weeks, tho, if the same Firespray list to see if getting those dice was an anomaly or the four Fangs. I'm really torn between both :(, and we need to send the lists this Tuesday.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Holy cow, some of those issues with the store sound terrible... and a bit bizarre in certain cases, like they wanting to move out the streamed players or asking players to drop. Doesn't sounds exactly a place I would like to return, although all the venues and events I have in my area may make me a bit more selective than I would be with less options around.

And well done on the tournament itself. 2-4 isn't bad at all, especially considering what did you play. Those 4 Rebel lists are TOUGH, and playing three of them is quite a pain. IMHO Leia needs a points increase for sure, but even without her those lists are really, really good. She just makes them nasty.

I'm really curious on that last Firespray list. Sure, Krassis is great if you use secondary weapons, but there's plenty of room to bring Boba out so it feels... weird. Not that I don't like or approve it. I mean, I'm the guy who, in 1.0, went with fucking Emon to two Opens* and an European Championship XD

*A third in a month, but 2.0 Emon is night and day with his 1.0 version. Tomorrow I'll test the list I want to use for the Open in my club's tournament, essentially the same I used on a recent Hyperspace but with some Extended toys (aka Maul crew). I'm still not sure what I will use in the HS in two weeks, tho, if the same Firespray list to see if getting those dice was an anomaly or the four Fangs. I'm really torn between both :(, and we need to send the lists this Tuesday.
Here's his list, so you don't have to look for him through the site:

Krassis Trelix Firespray-class Patrol Craft (105)
Proton Torpedoes + Concussion Missiles + Informant + Trick Shot + Tractor Beam + Slave I + Proximity Mines
Emon Azzameen Firespray-class Patrol Craft (95)
Qi'ra + Proton Bombs + Proximity Mines + Andrasta + Trick Shot

He threw the Listening Device from the Informant on my Maarek Stele because he didn't want to deal with the crits and was able to use Emon's bombs effectively because of it. And I know that Emon can put bombs in a lot of places so it doesn't matter too much where I am but I did put myself in a bad place for getting bombed in later rounds because it was my first time flying against 2.0 bombs and I forgot how they worked now, so I expected them a turn early.
Qi'ra was pretty annoying.

He set both of them up on a diagonal in a corner with Krassis on the edge and I deployed on the opposite corner. He flew them straight in at me fast while I flew the edge slowly and he met my ships when I had hit the center and started turning in. He got a shot off and then turned to start dropping bombs. I think he did get the Proton Toros off against me but did not fire the Concussion Missiles and didn't bother with the tractor beam (I'm assuming it was brought for lower-agility targets and not Imperials.
Looks like he placed 17 and was the second-highest placed Scum list (the Scum player who did better than him took fourth with a Guri/Boba list.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey ya'll,

old player here, but stopped before 2.0.

Looking to get back into it and maybe build up a resistance list and scum list.

Pretend I have 1 of every ship before 2.0.

I was looking at getting the resistance A-wing or 2 for a XAA or XXA list.

But for Scum I have no idea. Looks like I only have slave 1 and the fang fighter.

Also I would need both conversion kits right?

Any tips?

Thanks

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Thinking about hopping into X-Wing, too. I preordered the Second Edition Core but then got caught up in Star Wars Destiny. Now Destiny's kind of moving in a direction I don't love, so I might transition over to X-wing since it seems like there's not a huge amount of product to buy right away yet.

Two questions:
1) What are the best sites you all use for news/blogs/lists?
2) For a new player, I'm thinking of just sticking with Rebels or Empire. Any preference for either from a competitive standpoint?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about hopping into X-Wing, too. I preordered the Second Edition Core but then got caught up in Star Wars Destiny. Now Destiny's kind of moving in a direction I don't love, so I might transition over to X-wing since it seems like there's not a huge amount of product to buy right away yet.

Two questions:
1) What are the best sites you all use for news/blogs/lists?
2) For a new player, I'm thinking of just sticking with Rebels or Empire. Any preference for either from a competitive standpoint?
The FFG website is my go-to as it's usually the first place to hear about what's coming next for their games, and their forums are filled with discussion about builds, balance, etc.

As for choosing a faction, it's entirely up to you. I wanted to stick with just two but ended up buying multiples of basically every release after a year of playing. Options!

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had time to play a game against my bro.
He took this:
I flew my "Force Aces":

Gotta say i enjoyed my list quite a bit. Need to fly better but it is nice all the same. Absolutely need to take this again later on.

Close game though, game ended due to time but i won, but it was close, a difference of few points (Lambda+half GI vs Luke+Headhunter).
Had my brothers luck with APTs been better, he would've likely won. He kept cursing Luke for rest of the game.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
There as a semi-local barnes and noble moving locations that had all X-Wing 1st edition stuff 40% off (+10% member discount), so I decided to jump in. Got the Resistance/First Order starter set, the Imperial Aces TIE Interceptor expansion, and the A-Wing expansion. The Interceptor and A-Wing are probably my two favorite ships in Star Wars.

Only afterward did I realize that buying an old starter set for two factions I don't really care about is a waste of money. Oh well.

So I went to a local game shop and played on Wednesday, intending to just watch but one of the guys there handed over his stuff to me and let me play through his game (3x Delta-7 Jedi Starfighters) and I ended up winning, had a blast. I committed to going to their next Wednesday meet-up.

While I was out my dog happened to make my A-Wing and Resistance X-Wing disappear. I imagine she chewed them up, but I could be wrong. So now I not only have a bunch of 1st edition cards and stuff that are basically useless, but I also have useless cards for two ships that don't even exist any longer. It's a pretty big bummer.

I still look forward to playing this, however.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've finally started to catch up on all the 2.0 content released after the initial wave, and in doing so, got around to punching out all the tokens from the conversion kits. I'm ditching the Dial Upgrade Kits because I reeeally hate having to keep track of the silhouette chits and assembling the dials every. single. match. Grabbing only a singular, assembled dial is so much easier than grabbing the plastic shell, the dial, the chit, and the peg to pin it all together.

I found some really awesome trays for dials and ship tokens on Etsy, and I'm really hoping to find something similar from an office supply store.

il_1588xN.1846023558_m95w.jpg

I'd love something like this for taking a few lists to the FLGS, but I'm more interested in much larger versions of those two trays for storing my whole collection neatly at home.

That same Etsy shop has a phenomenal looking token tray.

il_794xN.1893487445_9wz4.jpg

I really need to get a 3D printer because I would want to take these designs and tweak them to fit my needs.

There as a semi-local barnes and noble moving locations that had all X-Wing 1st edition stuff 40% off (+10% member discount), so I decided to jump in. Got the Resistance/First Order starter set, the Imperial Aces TIE Interceptor expansion, and the A-Wing expansion. The Interceptor and A-Wing are probably my two favorite ships in Star Wars.

Only afterward did I realize that buying an old starter set for two factions I don't really care about is a waste of money. Oh well.

So I went to a local game shop and played on Wednesday, intending to just watch but one of the guys there handed over his stuff to me and let me play through his game (3x Delta-7 Jedi Starfighters) and I ended up winning, had a blast. I committed to going to their next Wednesday meet-up.

While I was out my dog happened to make my A-Wing and Resistance X-Wing disappear. I imagine she chewed them up, but I could be wrong. So now I not only have a bunch of 1st edition cards and stuff that are basically useless, but I also have useless cards for two ships that don't even exist any longer. It's a pretty big bummer.

I still look forward to playing this, however.

Sorry to hear about your ships. I imagine they'll have every 1.0 ship converted over to 2.0 by the end of next year or the summer after that, so they won't be gone forever. With all the 1.0 sales going on, grabbing those and the conversion kits is a remarkably affordable way to snag entire factions with massive amounts of upgrades.

TIE Interceptors are phenomenal, too, so I'm glad that pack survived the dog!

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
My only problem with those token trays is they are *huge*. I mean, I love the concept and I've actually used a smaller and rounded one for several years, but those from Etsy are just too big. It won't be a problem on most days and for casual games, but then you may go to a tournament on a venue with limited space and you realize you just can't fit everything (template tray, ship cards, token tray, whatever else) on your side.

Ironically, I've recently (as two weeks ago, during the Spanish Open*) replaced my old rounded 3D printed tray for a slighty bigger rectangular one made from wood, as I couldn't fit any of the new tokens (Strain, Force, Charges and so) anymore. The extra customziation is a nice bonus, too.

oCbtjK2.jpg

Well, that A-wing love may make Resistance atractive to you, as their A-wing is a trully fantastic ship. But yeah, the Resistance kit doesn't help you on that as we didn't have these A-wings on 1.0. With the First Order kit at least you could play some Silencers (aka beefed up TIE Interceptors). Actually, now that we'll get the Silencer relaunched, that's exactly my plan with First Order: play lists with only Silencers (either two or three) and, at most, another ship (either a /FO or a /SF).

And no doubt you loved the Jedi Starfighters. At the end is just another "version" of the "Ace Ship" that A-wings and TIE Interceptors are, and one really good (and fun!).

*Went with Boba-Emon, as I do seem uncapable to go to a big tournament without that bomber boy or the not-so-Mandalorian guy, finishing with a bitter sweet 4-2 while I needed a 5-1 to pass the cut. Won against Rebel beef, Imperial Aces, Drea and her friends and Soontir with four ion Gunboats. The two games I lost were against the same archetype: Handbrake Han. One with Jake (I fucked up the bombs/mines placing and lost on a extremely close game) and one with Wedge (a game that I still don't understand how I lost after having Wedge death and Han at 3 hull points after ~25 minutes into the game. But dice gonna dice). At least the weekend was a blast.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Ironically, I've recently (as two weeks ago, during the Spanish Open*) replaced my old rounded 3D printed tray for a slighty bigger rectangular one made from wood, as I couldn't fit any of the new tokens (Strain, Force, Charges and so) anymore. The extra customziation is a nice bonus, too.

oCbtjK2.jpg
I don't even play anymore and I need that in my life.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I went to my FLGS again this past Wednesday and used a squad built by one of the guys there. It was a TIE Advanced with Darth Vader + four TIE Fighters to run in a tight formation. It was fairly diffucult moving tz hem around to keep them close enough to all use their abilities together - mainly because I kept running them into each other at times and would eliminate actions - but it was a fun challenge. This next Wednesday will be my 3rd and final round of borrowing ships/squads made by someone else. Not sure what he will bring for me, likely something Republic or Rebels I would guess. In about two weeks I hope to use my own ships and try my hand at making my own squad.

Sorry to hear about your ships. I imagine they'll have every 1.0 ship converted over to 2.0 by the end of next year or the summer after that, so they won't be gone forever. With all the 1.0 sales going on, grabbing those and the conversion kits is a remarkably affordable way to snag entire factions with massive amounts of upgrades.

TIE Interceptors are phenomenal, too, so I'm glad that pack survived the dog!
Well, that A-wing love may make Resistance atractive to you, as their A-wing is a trully fantastic ship. But yeah, the Resistance kit doesn't help you on that as we didn't have these A-wings on 1.0. With the First Order kit at least you could play some Silencers (aka beefed up TIE Interceptors). Actually, now that we'll get the Silencer relaunched, that's exactly my plan with First Order: play lists with only Silencers (either two or three) and, at most, another ship (either a /FO or a /SF).

And no doubt you loved the Jedi Starfighters. At the end is just another "version" of the "Ace Ship" that A-wings and TIE Interceptors are, and one really good (and fun!)

I found a sale online and sprung for a bunch of 1.0 ships. I still need to still get the 2.0 conversion kits, but my roster of ships is now:

Empire:
  • TIE Interceptor (x2)
  • TIE Phantom
  • Lambda Shuttle
  • TIE Advanced X1
Rebellion:
  • Ghost
  • Y-Wing
First Order:
  • TIE/fo Fighter (x2)
I still doubt I will play the First Order much, if at all. I will be getting the 2.0 Core Set in the next few days and will try to run a Ghost/X-Wing/Y-Wing list if I can, but will primarily focus on the Empire. On the X-Wing app I built a Lambda/Interceptor/Interceptor squad that I am pretty happy with, so I'll probably try that in "my" first game.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I went to my FLGS again this past Wednesday and used a squad built by one of the guys there. It was a TIE Advanced with Darth Vader + four TIE Fighters to run in a tight formation. It was fairly diffucult moving tz hem around to keep them close enough to all use their abilities together - mainly because I kept running them into each other at times and would eliminate actions - but it was a fun challenge. This next Wednesday will be my 3rd and final round of borrowing ships/squads made by someone else. Not sure what he will bring for me, likely something Republic or Rebels I would guess. In about two weeks I hope to use my own ships and try my hand at making my own squad.

I found a sale online and sprung for a bunch of 1.0 ships. I still need to still get the 2.0 conversion kits, but my roster of ships is now:

Empire:
  • TIE Interceptor (x2)
  • TIE Phantom
  • Lambda Shuttle
  • TIE Advanced X1
Rebellion:
  • Ghost
  • Y-Wing
First Order:
  • TIE/fo Fighter (x2)
I still doubt I will play the First Order much, if at all. I will be getting the 2.0 Core Set in the next few days and will try to run a Ghost/X-Wing/Y-Wing list if I can, but will primarily focus on the Empire. On the X-Wing app I built a Lambda/Interceptor/Interceptor squad that I am pretty happy with, so I'll probably try that in "my" first game.
Sounds like a perfect platform for the emperor and Fel! The amount of content you get in those conversion kits is insane, so you'll be able to run almost everything but the newest content, pretty much, provided you have the miniatures.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Since it hasn't been posted yet, I'll just link these beauties:

swz57_box_left.png

swz_epic_boxes.png

The conversation kit covers every huge ship, and the epic battles box introduces 11 objective scenarios for 2-8 players, formation flying, and 500 point rules!

As sometime who owns one of every huge ship but has never played them, I'm very excited to see them brought into the objectively superior game that is X-Wing 2.0!

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First loss in a while. My brother decided to play with the Empire this time, i went with my KXXX-focus fountain list (Esege with perceptive copilot). My bro's emperor supporter assault gunboats were deadlier though, but i did deal a lot of damage as well.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a group of friends from work over last night to teach them how to play, and everyone had a blast. They want to make Mondays X-Wing night and hit the ground running with 2.0.
Going to stop by Barnes and Noble today and check prices for 2.0 core set, along with Empire and Rebel conversion kits as I was waiting for a group to get me back into playing.

Amazon also has them on sale so I'll see who has the better deal

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another game with Rebels, named B-wings and Gavin. Not keen on the E-wing, doesn't do enough for the cost (options are fine but there are diminishing returns). B-wings on the other hand were fun, i flew them with Composure and Advanced Sensors. Composure wasn't really useful, i think Crack Shot or Marksmanship would've served better but whatever, they're all one point only after all.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GenCon revealed Wave 6 and it comes with new stuff

Fireball and Vonreg's TIE from Resistance for Resistance and FO respectively.
Hound's Tooth (YV-666) for Scum, comes with a Headhunter and new paintjob.

Plus there's some talk about B-wing and TIE Defender apparently?

And card packs.
One that comes with Republic/Separatist upgrades for old factions, one that comes with various upgrades from the 5 original factions, and an obstacle/scenario pack.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Plus there's some talk about B-wing and TIE Defender apparently?

Apparently, the TIE Defender, TIE Interceptor and RZ-1 A-wing are the reprints for Wave 6. No idea on the B-wing talk, besides the new model is stupidly sexy.

And card packs.
One that comes with Republic/Separatist upgrades for old factions, one that comes with various upgrades from the 5 original factions, and an obstacle/scenario pack.

New pilots for the original 5 factions, not regular upgrades :P

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pilots? Oh, good, i was wondering why another upgrade pack.
Here's a hint to everyone: don't list stuff while dead-tired.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
swz-wave6_boxes.png

Fantasy Flight Games is happy to announce a new wave of eight expansions for X-Wing:

swz64-66_boxes.png

Fantasy Flight Games is excited to announce three expansions for X-Wing:

swz64_sample.png

The Never Tell Me the Odds Obstacles Packs collects every X-Wing obstacle in one convenient package. In addition to adding nine asteroids, three debris fields, and three gas clouds to your collection, this pack also contains six environment cards that reflect the strange and terrifying places a space battle could take place.

swz65_sample.png

Within the Fully Loaded Devices Pack, you'll find numerous deadly devices that can be used to arm your squadron to the teeth, including the upgrade cards and tokens for Proximity Mines, Proton Bombs, Seismic Charges, and Bomblets, as well as an Electro-Proton Bomb and a Connor Net. Additionally, this pack also sees the return of Cluster Mines and Ion Bombs from X-Wing's first edition.

swz66_sample.png

Now, with the Hotshots and Aces Reinforcements Pack, you can enhance your squadron options and launch new pilots into battle. This pack contains a variety of new pilots for numerous ships in the Rebel, Imperial, Scum, Resistance, and First Order factions, allowing you to add iconic characters like K-2SO to your squads.

Last edited:

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Headhunter swarm (with Luke) vs TIE swarm, TIEs win... thanks to Seventh Sister and supporting Emperor.
Were Seventh and the Emperor on the Decimator? Just interested because I've never flown the Emperor in 2nd ed and always wanted to but just a little hesitant cos I never know the best transport option for him.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were Seventh and the Emperor on the Decimator? Just interested because I've never flown the Emperor in 2nd ed and always wanted to but just a little hesitant cos I never know the best transport option for him.
Nah, just the Lambda Shuttle.
I have yet to use the Decimator in second edition... and come to think of it, i think i've flown it maybe once in the first edition. It is by far my least favorite Imperial ship. (Second to last place is currently held by the TIE Aggressor but only because it lacks worthwhile options at the moment.)

The Lambda Shuttle works just fine for the Emperor transport. Pick the cheapest one and leave it plain, IMO, and don't worry about not using its abilities. Coordinate is good if you can use it, but don't let that rule your movement decisions (since the thing handles like a...whale?).

EDIT Obviously a lot depends on what else you're flying. A shuttle Emperor with Darth Vader and the Grand Inquisitor is lovely for example.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to pick up Saw's Renegades when that releases, as I don't have a U-Wing and having a second X-Wing could be nice. I like the look of those figures as well.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Probably going to pick up Saw's Renegades when that releases, as I don't have a U-Wing and having a second X-Wing could be nice. I like the look of those figures as well.
I'll certainly recommend it. The U-Wing is a tough ship to fly well but once you master the ship it is very rewarding. Nothing else really moves quite like that ship and you can really catch people off guard

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So now we know Y-Wings and B-Wings are in episode 9, wonder if they are gonna be updated models like we got with the X-Wing and A-Wings.

So we got at least 4 new ships coming out of Ep 9 with the possible new Y & B-Wing. Tie Daggers, and Kylo's new Tie Silencer? Hoping for a new design for the Resistance at least.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So now we know Y-Wings and B-Wings are in episode 9, wonder if they are gonna be updated models like we got with the X-Wing and A-Wings.

So we got at least 4 new ships coming out of Ep 9 with the possible new Y & B-Wing. Tie Daggers, and Kylo's new Tie Silencer? Hoping for a new design for the Resistance at least.
According to bespin bulletin (never heard of them before they released this leak a month ago), there are a handful of new and recycled TIEs.

• TIE Dagger
  • Kylo's TIE Fighter (as seen in the trailer)
  • Sith TIE Fighter (similar to TIE Dagger, colored red)
  • Special Forces TIE Fighter (Force Awakens' TIE/sf?)
  • TIE Whisper Fighter (similar to the one above, but with a larger, bulkier cockpit like Kylo's)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
According to bespin bulletin (never heard of them before they released this leak a month ago), there are a handful of new and recycled TIEs.

• TIE Dagger
  • Kylo's TIE Fighter (as seen in the trailer)
  • Sith TIE Fighter (similar to TIE Dagger, colored red)
  • Special Forces TIE Fighter (Force Awakens' TIE/sf?)
  • TIE Whisper Fighter (similar to the one above, but with a larger, bulkier cockpit like Kylo's)

I do hope we see something new fighter wise for the Resistance.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I'm all for OT designs but I would like to see at least one all-new good guy starfighter.

From the lego set of the Y-Wing, so far it seems that there is nothing new design wise on it unlike the updated X and A Wings which were new models. Hoping its just lego being easy and that they are different, but seems like the Y Wings might just be repainted old ones. We haven't seen a good enough shot of the B-Wings yet.

I guess now that they are doing stuff from the Cartoon they have a handful of ships to add to the resistance side with all the Ace ships from that series.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I've just swapped all my Jedi ships for the equivalent value of Separatist ships :rolf:

I really like Republic as a faction, and the Jedi starfighter is one of the funniest ships on X-Wing, but each time I see someone playing a Separatist swarm, plus all the weird mechanics they have, I get an itch. And having already First Order as an "ace faction" (as I only plan to play Silencers + something, nowadays that's Quickdraw, but I expect to change with the announced Interceptor), I went all in.

So now I have Scum as my main faction, Empire as my "Gunboats + something" faction, First Order as my "Ace faction" and Separatists as my "swarm and weird things" faction.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hey all!

I'm kind of interested to throw myself into this game, but was hoping to get some advice from y'all. I noticed there's now a second edition which changes the way the game plays so I would probably be best getting this first, correct?

Would there be anything else for a beginner to look at?
Yeah, a starter set is essential when starting out. You'll need the damage deck and maneuver templates, and you get a start to your collection with a few ships. I think two starter sets is a better place to start, so if you are playing with a friend, you each have a set of those items, and a more robust set of squadrons. Not essential or required, though!

I'd recommend looking for opportunities to play at a local gaming or miniatures store in your area if you have one. It'll give you more chances to play, introduce you to others who may play regularly, and give you broad exposure to different strategies! It's not necessary, though. I often play by just inviting friends over and letting them play a handful of my ships at home.

Many newer players stick to one or two factions - there are seven now! Republic, Separatists, Scum, Empire, Rebels, First Order, and Resistance! It can seem overwhelming, but I recommend focusing on the ships you like or are drawn to within the factions that appeal to you. 2.0 is re-releasing all the ships from 1.0 and adding even more, so there is an abundance of options to customize which ships you like!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a starter set is essential when starting out. You'll need the damage deck and maneuver templates, and you get a start to your collection with a few ships. I think two starter sets is a better place to start, so if you are playing with a friend, you each have a set of those items, and a more robust set of squadrons. Not essential or required, though!

I'd recommend looking for opportunities to play at a local gaming or miniatures store in your area if you have one. It'll give you more chances to play, introduce you to others who may play regularly, and give you broad exposure to different strategies! It's not necessary, though. I often play by just inviting friends over and letting them play a handful of my ships at home.

Many newer players stick to one or two factions - there are seven now! Republic, Separatists, Scum, Empire, Rebels, First Order, and Resistance! It can seem overwhelming, but I recommend focusing on the ships you like or are drawn to within the factions that appeal to you. 2.0 is re-releasing all the ships from 1.0 and adding even more, so there is an abundance of options to customize which ships you like!
I don't have any local game or hobby shops to meet anyone, so I kind of want to get a setup to at least initially have enough for myself and someone else if I ever had a gamenight. I'm definitely eyeing the starter kit and maybe a couple of other ships. That Fireball when it comes out really caught my eye.

How important is it to stick to one faction while playing, at least outside of tournament games and whatnot? Like would the game still play fine if I were to mix say resistance and rebel ships? Or even rebel and empire?

Any other pieces of gear I should look into getting? I figure I won't need the conversion kits if I stick to buying 2.0 releases? What about the packs like Obstacles, Devices, and Reinforcements when they come out?

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The Conversion Kits is only useful if you already own ships from the first edition. Everything that's on them, will be (or should be :P) available whenever a ship gets rereleased on second edition. They may be useful if you find some second hand fleet at a good price tho.

The future Obstacles pack may be interesting for the diferent obstacle types, as currently I think there's only the Core rocks and the Republic/Separatists "big expansion" gas clouds available for buying on second edition, and you may not have the latter. The other two are mostly if you really want certain cards you may not have on the ships you have bought. For casual, I would probably pass on them.

On sticking on a single faction, that's mostly for monetary reasons or being able to fly everything you have. There are just too many ships :P, although a good chunk of them are still pending to be rerelased. The idea of the game is to play one faction against another, but nothing stops you to mix them wherever you like on casual games. I would say either stick to certain factions (Rebellion and Empire are the usual starting point due the Core) or just buy whatever ship you may like and go for it.

Also, seeing as you may have problems to get people to play with, I recommend you to check Heroes of Aturi Cluster. It's a wonderful coop campaign for up to 4 players against an Imperial AI, but it can be played alone without any problem (and nothing stops you to use more than one ship yourself). Technically it was designed for the game's first edition, but you can find the rules adapted to Second Edition on a certain huge Facebook group. There's also tons of extra content there, including more campagins or rules for the other factions.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any local game or hobby shops to meet anyone, so I kind of want to get a setup to at least initially have enough for myself and someone else if I ever had a gamenight. I'm definitely eyeing the starter kit and maybe a couple of other ships. That Fireball when it comes out really caught my eye.

How important is it to stick to one faction while playing, at least outside of tournament games and whatnot? Like would the game still play fine if I were to mix say resistance and rebel ships? Or even rebel and empire?

Any other pieces of gear I should look into getting? I figure I won't need the conversion kits if I stick to buying 2.0 releases? What about the packs like Obstacles, Devices, and Reinforcements when they come out?

Awesome decision for delving into the best miniature game around, IMO!

If you want to mix together factions, you'll have to go by unofficial house rules, since the game uses an app that lets you build your squad from the pool of ships/pilots within a faction on your phone, choosing which upgrade cards go on which pilots, and keeping track of the points each card is worth so you don't surpass the 200pt limit. Those are the standard rules, though, and there's nothing preventing you from playing however you like casually at home.

I think it would be a good idea to at least focus on two or three factions so you have the option to play standard matches, though. I think the synergies between faction-specific upgrades and pilot abilities in 2.0 are stellar design. No one is forcing you to play standard rules, but I can't account for the quality of the gameplay when mixed.

Upgrade kits are only for people who own the corresponding ships from the upgrade Kit's faction, so unless you buy someone's old collection, you'll likely never need consider them. The new pilot and obstacle sets have me very excited, but I'm a lost soul that buys multiples of every release, just about.

As for which expansion to get, I I think there's good value in the Republic and Separatist boxes that come with 3 ships each. Occasionally, there are some spectacular sales like the one Barnes and Noble just had. If you like the look of the Fireball, grabbing some RZ-2 A-Wings, T-70 X-Wings, and a Resistance Transport means you're sitting on a great squad.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably shouldn't use Soontir so much against my bro, i think he gave me my victory once again. But man, Soontir is so fun to use!

Our teams:

My bro did destroy my swarm tactics chained Howlrunner mini-swarm but my Soontir slipped behind his forces and did heavy damage, winning the game.

Republic Battle Meditation-bolstered ships are interesting, very cool synergy there and the Sync-Console worked nicely as well.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little off topic but I was just selected to be a judge for Star Wars Destiny at the World Championship next month. Anyone here going?