• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't do internet auctions. Too risky, too much hassle. Also not sure if people would sell to Finland anyway.

Honestly the astromech card looks like it might get stuck with one expansion. I mean, unless you're interested in the ship otherwise, what else would get you get it? Maul?

As for TLJ-based expansions, there's a new shuttle craft in the film (clearly Lambda-shuttle lineage with a dash of the Upsilon) but other than that... unless they do a TLJ-version of the A-wing, i doubt we'll be seeing anymore TLJ-based expansions. It didn't have many new small ships.

I figure that if there's any boost to X-wing at some point, it will be via E-wing/X-Wing double pack probably (since those two ships are frequently cited as lacking). If there's anything like that coming anymore.
FFG is going in heavy with the tie-in ships lately. We got a freaking Quadjumper from TFA, and that was only in the movie for 3 seconds as it blew up. Wave 14 (the TIE Silencer and B/SF-17 Resistance Bomber) was pushed forward to W13's launch to beat TLJ to the market, but I'm absolutely positive we'll see the new RZ-2 A-Wing in the next wave.

Also, I have nice seats for the first showing of TLJ tomorrow at 7pm... I'm so freaking excited!

EDIT - Some are hoping for a Heroes of Scarif pack with an X-Wing fix, including Blue Squadron pilots from Rogue One. I wouldn't complain.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, they actually made the A-wing a new version after all? Earlier it was indicated it was still RZ-1 model (though i was sure it would be a new model given small differences).

OK, that means the film has basically two usable ships (that aren't included already), three or four if you count a couple of small non-combat transports, though one of them might suit Scum, depending on how heavily it is modified. The usable ones being the A-wing and maybe the new shuttle type.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I need more A-wings, either a new one (we'll get it for sure) or something to bring back the old ones to the table. Not that they are bad right now, but the 2 attack thing makes them a pain to fly against many meta lists. For the TLJ version I totally expect some trickery to make up for that 2 attack stat. E.g. a Bullseye arc.

Still, they are probably the funniest ships to fly.

I don't do internet auctions. Too risky, too much hassle. Also not sure if people would sell to Finland anyway.

Have you checked any X-wing trade groups on Facebook? Sure, there's many people from the US and most of the are selling promos or entire collections, but there's also a lot of guys from Europe that wouldn't have problem on shipping anything to Finland. If you don't find those cards there on sale you can always can try to create a "WTB this, this and this" listing.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use Facebook at all (or any social media, ignoring ERA and one or two other forums). I'll amend my "i don't do internet auctions": don't do any internet trading, seen enough stories about others having bad experiences.

I'll see if i can trade cards or buy them from people in LGS games, once i get around taking part. Haven't yet taken part in those as i don't have suitable carrying case for minis. (Ideally i need case that that works for both BattleTech minis and X-wing minis.)

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, the TIE Silencer is bigger than the U-Wing!
I think i'll add one more stick to it to raise it a bit, otherwise it will be in way in close combat.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm holding off on the newest wave of ships because I'm not sure if I'm getting any gifted this Christmas, and I still have plenty of shopping to do for others. Except for a couple gunboats... I'll need at least four eventually, anyway, so getting a couple now will be fine.

The new upgrades look absolutely awesome, though.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The TIE Silencer is difficult. Despite the incredible dial, its reliance on its basic attack makes the ship rather difficult to use. Requires rather precise flying.
Probably best used with a bunch of rookie TIE/fos to acts blockers. Alternatively, perhaps combined with a big ship like the Decimator.
Or, well, more TIE Silencers in theory... Gonna be quite point limited though.

Or perhaps the fact i screwed up with my Omega Leader and Ace early on meant that my Kylo Ren had hard time for the rest of the game, until i died in a gamble...

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Silencer is an amazing ship and probably the best arc dodger in the game, but is expensive as hell. I see it as the Imperial equivalent to Poe, aka that 40something points ship that you won't kill in 1v1 due tankiness and mobility, so it will win games by time. It doesn't do a lot of damage for its cost tho, so it relays on the rest of the squad to reach that 1v1 situation.

My main complaint is I can't seem to create a list with a decent Silencer (either Blackout or the Ps6 generic ones) and two HLC Rho Gunboats. It can be done with Nu gunboats, but that extra Pilot Skill (and the elite slot, either for Crackshot or Lightning Reflexes) is priceless when facing wookies, scurrgs and other popular ships.

For now I'm settled on Quickdraw to lead the pair. Or Karsabi/Vessery if I'm want something different. Or Maarek for a "we're back to the 90's!" at full force.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My desire to run Gunboats with a Lambda shuttle for full winged effect has me thinking about filling those crew slots with the emperor... I've had him for over a year and never used him due to his meta defining status. Now that he's nerfed, it seems appealing for me to use him.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
New wave means new ships to paint. Today, I tried my hand at Dalan Oberos:
OZzK8Ki.jpg

Turned out OK, but using washes on greys/whites is still resulting in a dirty smudged look. Still need to figure out how to fix that. Though I am loving my fine liner pen.

WyWPT5p.png

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a game with a couple of Assault Gunboats and Maarek Stele in TIE/D.

The Linked Battery card is really good. It allowed the AGs to produce 1-2 damage consistently. Probably even better for a ship like the B-wing.
The Assault Gunboat is also pretty pleasant to fly with SLAM. The XG-1 config title gives a nice sense of security in that i can shoot even with Weapons Disabled, even if it is just a Jamming Beam (ignoring that i didn't get opportunity to use this).

Maarek Stele with Tractor Beam is fun as hell. There are arguments for an Ion Cannon or Flechette Cannon but the ability to move enemy and reduce their agility can be surprisingly useful. Not to mention incredibly thematic since Maarek Stele and the tractor beam both come from TIE Fighter game.

That said, i will need to make adjustments.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Played a game with a couple of Assault Gunboats and Maarek Stele in TIE/D.

The Linked Battery card is really good. It allowed the AGs to produce 1-2 damage consistently. Probably even better for a ship like the B-wing.
The Assault Gunboat is also pretty pleasant to fly with SLAM. The XG-1 config title gives a nice sense of security in that i can shoot even with Weapons Disabled, even if it is just a Jamming Beam (ignoring that i didn't get opportunity to use this).

Maarek Stele with Tractor Beam is fun as hell. There are arguments for an Ion Cannon or Flechette Cannon but the ability to move enemy and reduce their agility can be surprisingly useful. Not to mention incredibly thematic since Maarek Stele and the tractor beam both come from TIE Fighter game.

That said, i will need to make adjustments.
This is exactly the kind of list I want to build!

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
Have a great Christmas Era-Wing... X-Era? Reset-Wing?

The hell do we call ourselves? I don't quite get the naming convention of this new place.

Either way. hope you all get the ships you want this Christmas.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly the kind of list I want to build!
My upgraded build, former one ended up wasting certain upgrades rather heavily. Not linking it, it is pretty laughable really, it worked more due to dumb luck than anything else...

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!269:140,-1,-1:56:16:U.247,U.109;269:140,-1,-1:56:16:U.247,U.109;193:57,144,141:34:25:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=
This one has Assault Gunboats with focus on lasers, while Maarek is pretty TIE Fighter-themed. Unfortunately, you can't use Tractor Beam with missiles but perhaps you don't need to. At range 1 you use TB and lasers to roll high attack vs reduced agility. At range 3 you can negate enemy range bonus or even pull them to range 2! At range two, depending on the situation, you can blast missiles at the enemy and make good use of Maarek's ability or just try standard TB+guns.
Alternatively, one could go for maximum TIE Fighter and use Proton Rockets for really good attack up close (typical tactic in TIE Fighter was to use Tractor Beam to slow enemy ships and then dumb-fire a Heavy (=proton) Rocket on them though unfortunately copying this exactly in X-wing is not possible).

I picked Crack Shot's for the AGs as there ain't that many great (for AGs) 1 point EPTs. Crack Shot is one-shot but depending, it may be pretty good idea despite AG's low-ish damage output, sometimes getting that 1 point damage to enemy ends up being important. Naturally one could drop one AG to Nu Squadron and buy a better EPT for the Rho. For extra flexibility swapping one Flechette for a Jamming Beam might be an interesting option, but i prefer identical, interchangeable non-ace ships so that losing one doesn't compromise my abilities.

Swapping Maarek's missile and modification (perhaps along with other changes) for another modification like Shield or Engine upgrade is certainly an option. A passive upgrade is easier to fly, while Engine Upgrade might be really useful in closing that distance for TB+range 1 attack.

Any ideas for "missile boat" Assault Gunboats?
Here's a base i'm thinking for Maarek+2x "missile boats":
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!270:-1,-1:61:16:U.-1,U.-1;270:-1,-1:61:16:U.-1,U.-1;193:57,144,-1:34:1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=
Idea here is that each AG has 7 points for ordnance, haven't decided what exactly they should be carrying. Of course, one could leave out Maarek's expensive mod/missile and allow a bit more ordnance for the Assault Gunboats. Stealth Device is a placeholder for upgrades for Maarek.
The Advanced SLAM is kinda important as it allows for both good mobility AND ability to reload at once. Or SLAM+Target lock and then attacking. Of course, depending on how you fly, Guidance Chimps are excellent alternative.
Upgrading AGs to Rhos is a possibility but won't leave many points for their actual ordnance plus EPTs. Of course, skill 2 pilots can have issues getting target locks if the enemy moves into range only after the Nus' turn, so in that sense extra skill allows for a safety net though this will depend heavily on what the enemy brings to table.

What ordnance to bring? I'm inclined to pick Concussion Missiles for "basic" attack, i kinda prefer one guaranteed hit to Proton Torpedoes potential critical hit if i don't have Guidance Chips. But what else? Advanced Homing Missiles fit the budget well though one might as well leave them for Maarek. Ion Pulse missiles perhaps? Too bad there's no range 1/cost<4 option for missiles or torpedoes that works with target lock.

If i had two more Flechette Cannons and AGs, i'd do this:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!270:-1,-1:56:16:U.109,U.247;270:-1,-1:56:16:U.109,U.247;270:-1,-1:56:16:U.109,U.247;270:-1,-1:56:16:U.109,U.247&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=
I can't do that but perhaps i'll try this:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...258:135,-1,-1:-1:31:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Ha! Didn't even know an X-Wing OT was going on over here until I happened to see a link to it in the Board Game OT. Cool deal, I'm sub'd now.
I've barely gotten to play any X-Wing in the past month. Outside of an X-Wing OP event I participated in at the beginning of the month (and did horribly in), I've played more Armada and Imperial Assault than X-Wing this month.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ha! Didn't even know an X-Wing OT was going on over here until I happened to see a link to it in the Board Game OT. Cool deal, I'm sub'd now.
I've barely gotten to play any X-Wing in the past month. Outside of an X-Wing OP event I participated in at the beginning of the month (and did horribly in), I've played more Armada and Imperial Assault than X-Wing this month.

I love all three of the FFG Star Wars Miniatures games! I have been playing weekly with a guy at the FLGSs in town, but I had to cancel last week due to a cold.

I've been wanting to talk about IA and Armada with Era folks, but was wondering is this thread was the right place or if we should have separate ones.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I love all three of the FFG Star Wars Miniatures games! I have been playing weekly with a guy at the FLGSs in town, but I had to cancel last week due to a cold.

I've been wanting to talk about IA and Armada with Era folks, but was wondering is this thread was the right place or if we should have separate ones.

At the risk of going off topic, I wanted to ask you if you've used the new IA app and if so, how was it? I've played IA once and loved it, but my friend who ran it doesn't think he'll play anymore so he's giving me the core set. The app makes it so that we don't need a GM?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
At the risk of going off topic, I wanted to ask you if you've used the new IA app and if so, how was it? I've played IA once and loved it, but my friend who ran it doesn't think he'll play anymore so he's giving me the core set. The app makes it so that we don't need a GM?
I have downloaded it but not yet played it aside from the tutorial by myself. You're right, though; the app takes the place of the imperial player. The coolest part about it is the way the game changes. You start the missions with only the tiles for the immediate room, and as you move, the additional tiles are added. It's like playing a computer strategy game like StarCraft or C&C where you reveal your surroundings only when moving through them.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I got Imperial Assault for Christmas. Can't wait to play it, although I am currently waiting on Jabbas Realm cos all the players in my local group prefer the scummy heroes in that expansion.

Just so this post isn't 100% off topic, I got an Xwing tournament on the 27th of Jan. Probably going to take the Silencer with me, anyone got experience with the ship and can recommend any solid builds?

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017

I've tried it a few times and liked it immensely. It's a bit different of a feel, since the map is assembled as you go rather than a single specific map. It also allows you to play a little slower than the normal missions, which sort of force you to ignore absolutely everything but the objective.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
My gaming group has played through the first 3 big box campaigns on Imperial Assault and I'm not that interested in the app since I find a lot of the fun comes from squaring off against each other.

So I got an OG core starter set for xmas and have since put down some cash for the TFA core set, an A-Wing, B-Wing, TIE Bomber and a TIE Advanced. That'll cover me for units for me and my friends to play casually but I was wondering what missions you guys have played and enjoyed? Bonus points if I'm able to play them with the units available to me. Thinking of sprinkling some missions between a new Imperial Assault campaign when we start that up again.

I know about the campaign Heroes of the Something-or-other but I'd never put down the cash it requires to get a game going for the three of us.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My gaming group has played through the first 3 big box campaigns on Imperial Assault and I'm not that interested in the app since I find a lot of the fun comes from squaring off against each other.

So I got an OG core starter set for xmas and have since put down some cash for the TFA core set, an A-Wing, B-Wing, TIE Bomber and a TIE Advanced. That'll cover me for units for me and my friends to play casually but I was wondering what missions you guys have played and enjoyed? Bonus points if I'm able to play them with the units available to me. Thinking of sprinkling some missions between a new Imperial Assault campaign when we start that up again.

I know about the campaign Heroes of the Something-or-other but I'd never put down the cash it requires to get a game going for the three of us.

Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, and Imperial Veterans contain the missions I'd recommend, along with the Firespray-31 and IG Aggressor missions.

The epic-scale ships come with micro campaigns which could be perfect for sprinkling within a IA campaign. The Gozanti missions involve stealing one.

Edit - The Shadow Caster also has a cool set up with a mission that pits the Rebels as the default enemy with the Lancer-class Pursuit Craft available to join any faction to face them.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Actually, you already have most of the hero ships required for heroes of the Arturi cluster, as the only thing that really scales up is the number of ties you need(and you can proxy some if you want)
http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of. There are entire campaign tracks that are built around TIE Defenders, TIE Phantoms, Lambda Shuttles and even some of the epic ships.

That said, I definitely recommend HotAC, as it's a really fun co-op experience. Then gain, you said your group prefers squaring off, so it may not be quite what you're looking for in X-Wing.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like a group of people preempted my question by creating and testing 6 different objectives to use instead of the standard death match. Not sure if anyone has tried them or seen it but the details can be found here

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
We're back to the 90s, boys!

WO3CoKt.jpg

BnfJVts.png

It's a shame I can't fit a decent Silencer Avenger with two HLC Rho's. I'll have to settle with Quickdraw for the regional I have in a couple weeks (Barcelona, 140 players), as I don't really want to downgrade to Nu's

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, awesome repaints! I get the feeling the TIE Silencer was inspired by the prequel Vulture Droid ships, which is hard to under unsee, but it still looks cool.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
There's another clear inspiration for the TIE Silencer, which also inspired this mod/repaint:

cT6DOBC.png
yNIBQrD.jpg

TIE Avenger, from the same X-wing/TIE Fighter PC games the Defender or Gunboats (and their scheme) also come from.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TIE Avenger deserves a spot in the Imperial forces! My Assault Gunboats need escorts!
Really, in theory those should make a nice one-two punch.

Another ship that needs to be brought from games to X-wing is YT-2000, specifically the Otana. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Otana
And it should be a Scum ship. This would provide the Scum a pancake ship (where the Empire has the "evil Falcon" Decimator). And since the Otana is an Azzameen ship and Scum already have an Azzameen pilot...

Also, we're gonna get another Millennium Falcon for X-wing. Mark my words. Bunch of Lego sets for Solo were leaked, and they feature the Millenium Falcon (because of course). The thing about is that it has different paint scheme and some looks differences.
Now, the neat thing is: I bet it will be a Scum ship. Because Han's and the Falcon's association with the Rebellion starts much later, probably anyway.

Griegous

Oct 27, 2017
So, I started expanding my collection from the two basic boxes. This Christmas I found some nice deals and now I am sitting on a pretty hefty (comparably) imperial collection (one of each of most of the small ships, a decimator and a Slave I)

My question is: is there a coprehensive guide on how to go about building squads? Or should I just spread all I have on a table and try to find combinations that make sense?

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are guides around... but for casual play, none seemed particularly interesting. IMO, anyway. This is based on quick googling.

As for collecting, i recommend widening your collection first. Sure, you won't have multiple copies of many upgrades but you can test things. Focus on getting more when you know more, you know?

Use https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs= for building squads. Far easier than spreading all your cards and trying to find combinations :P

Some thoughts on squad building:

IMO, you will need to find your own style, it will be more fun that anyway rather than following cookie cutter ideas. And remember to follow few basics like "focus on strengths" and... uh, note synergies? Fly everything you can at least once to get some idea how things work.
Economy in squad building is a good thing to note: Don't spend points on things you don't need. If in doubt, you probably don't need it, unless you have points leftover. Depending, it may be better to slap an empty filler ship to your squad rather than cram expensive upgrades for others when cheaper ones do just fine.
Action-economy for ships is usually good as well, so building around that is a good idea (eg a ship that grants others extra actions).
No comment on pilot skills, still haven't figured these out properly. (But in casual play with my brother and friends, we don't have any meta-game really, we have no idea what kind of things others prefer.)

Basic ship types can be split to "arc-dodgers" (eg TIE Interceptor, A-wing), "jousters" (X-wing, TIE Defender) and "turrets" (Y-wing with turret, Decimator). As a general rule, arc dodger beats jouster, jouster beats turret, turret beats arc-dodger.
But then there are also ordnance ships (missiles, torpedoes), bombers, and support ships (eg a TIE Bomber with "TIE Shuttle" title carrying a couple of crews that benefit other ships in the squad). And ships that can be multiple roles (like the new TIE Silencer which arguably works both as an arc-dodger and a jouster though it is also very expensive).

Basic squad compositions consist of things like swarms (many ships, usually weak), aces (few decked out ships) or... well, high-low mix (one or two good ships, rest weak filler).

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Most builders (like the one Woorloog linked, my favourite to use) have the option to add your collection and only show you cards you own, or at least make them quickly discernible. It may help you to don't get overloaded of options.

And while I'm completely adverse to use the "meta" lists or builds when you are new, you may find useful websites like List Juggler to get ideas on concrete pilots. Outside the Stores/Regionals/Nationals/Opens and so, there's plenty of people flying unorthodox (and usually very fun!) lists or builds.

Don't be afraid to try *anything* you think you may like!

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So, I started expanding my collection from the two basic boxes. This Christmas I found some nice deals and now I am sitting on a pretty hefty (comparably) imperial collection (one of each of most of the small ships, a decimator and a Slave I)

My question is: is there a coprehensive guide on how to go about building squads? Or should I just spread all I have on a table and try to find combinations that make sense?

The best way to build squads is by using the fantastic tools online or in apps. Android has a great app that lets you plug in your collection and shows you only what is available to you, and you can find it here:
https://plus.google.com/communities/108260866778071859673

Sorting and how you store your cards makes a huge difference in how you can build your squads, IMO. I went with binders at first because of the convenience for seeing all the information, but the bigger your collection is, the bigger the pain in the ass it is to keep them sorted when you get a new ship. Taking every damn card out just to add one and keep them all alphabetically organized is not worth it. Just go to a boardgame or card shoppe and buy the $1 to $3 cardboard card organizers, then store all your cards with labeled cardstock dividers. It's so much easier to just finger tab your way through the bunches of cards, and adjusting your collection is instantaneous.

Griegous

Oct 27, 2017
Woorloog Kharnete Arttemis Thanks so much for the advice! I will take a look at the online builder and the Android app.

And yes, the idea is to find some fun combinations to play around. In any case all will be strictly casual since I am playing with the wife mainly and she has barely any time to do any research herself.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soo, what EPT do people put into Rho-cannonboats?
With Linked Battery, Predator doesn't seem to be terribly useful, especially given its cost. Expert Handling seems like an OK possibility as the option for Barrel Roll is not a bad idea, not sure if worth stress and the cost though. Otherwise, i'm basically down to Crack Shot or Trick Shot.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Crackshot, but I think I'll switch to Veteran Instincts (or maybe Adaptability and adding a Seismic Torpedo). Trick Shot as the cheap option is nice. Also: Lightning Reflexes is surpsingly good on this ship.

The reason for VI is all the other Rho's out there (plus things like Kanan, Lowhrie and so). Yeah, Crackshot is extremely powerful and can be decisive when facing good defensive ships, but shooting first and having the chance to destroy something without the target shooting you back is more valuable (or being able to use SLAM to get the hell out of some situations).

For example, the tournament I've played today with almost all of us testing lists for the regionals, where I faced two Deadeye Harpoon Rho's + Kylo in the second game. After some maneuvering, the first combat round was all four Gunboats head to head and the two aces at range of one of them each. This resulted on a dead Gunboat for each side (without even using Crackshot), but if I had VI I wouldn't have lost any ship there. Many turns later the same thing happened, with the last two Gunboats killing each other when both were at 2-3 hull. And while I lost that game, mostly thanks to a PS0 crit on Quickdraw, it would have been *very* different if I had both Gunboats alive after the first pass.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do have two Veteran Instincts cards... but only two, so they might not be options if i need some for others. I do have two Lightning Reflexes as well, but is that better or worse than Crack Shot? No Adaptability.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Lightning Reflexes better or worse than Crackshot... I don't know. I see them quite balanced on the Gunboat. Sure, Crackshot is a guaranteed damage whenever it fits you, but Lightning Reflexes lets you have one or two extra shooting rounds after the first pass that may translate to more than that guaranteed damage from Crackshot.

I really like both to be honest. I only went the Crackshot route because certain Silencer tanking builds that started to appear in my area and I felt I needed that guaranteed damage. But I was really torn between both.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really depressing how bad standard X-wings are. Unique pilots may be good (or workable even if not ideal) but the low skill ones... man.
I mean: T-70 Blue Squadron Novice vs Rookiee Pilot: for three points more, the Blue has better dial, extra shield and boost action. Really, really good deal.
Admittedly same difference applies to TIE Fighters: Epsilon Squadron Pilot TIE/fo grants one shield, target lock and better dial for three points more than Academy Pilot.
But TIE Fighters can be still used as filler for squads, so they aren't completely hopeless. For Rebels the Rookie Pilot doesn't really work as filler, too expensive in the first place.

I wonder if FFG ever gets around issuing a title to X-wings (now that Biggs is nerfed), something like T-65A2 that either cheapens the ship or grants it boost or some other benefit.

Trying to built something for Rebels that makes use of their "low-tech" ships without freighters or mercs (no HWK-290 or YT-series). U-wings, X-wings, Y-wings, Headhunters.
Honestly not sure what good the X-wing is for unless i take Biggs at least.
But then again, i'm not sure what do to with the U-wing. Should i use it as a support ship or super-heavy fighter? Somehow combine both roles despite the expense?

EDIT Actually, i'll go for stupid quantity over quality. A pair of X-wings, a pair of Headhunters, and an Y-wing with some Proton Torps, all pretty low skill. X-wings get droids from my limited selection so they, unfortunately, won't be identical which offends my sense of aesthetics but can't do anything about that.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if FFG ever gets around issuing a title to X-wings (now that Biggs is nerfed), something like T-65A2 that either cheapens the ship or grants it boost or some other benefit.
I'm almost positive either the next wave or ace pack with come with an X-Wing fix. Honestly, I'm expecting a variety of titles like the Defender, Gunboat, an Scyk have.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, would an Ace pack also include something for E-wings? What other Rebel ships are in dire need of tweaking?
As i understand it, the A-wing and B-wing may not be stellar but they aren't in nearly as bad spot as E-wings and X-wings.

EDIT here's my current thinking for my Rebel team:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!3:-1,2:-1:20:;6:-1,126,1,163:-1:25:;64:-1:-1:-1:;64:-1:-1:-1:;2:-1,206:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Quantity over quality. The one X-wing has that M9 droid because i really didn't come up with any better ideas (don't have more R2s or Targeting Astromechs), and i figured the ship would be supporting the Y-wing as much as possible.

A tweaking suggestions? Honestly wondering if it'd be better to throw away one Headhunter and give some upgrades, skill or otherwise, to others.
Core idea is to use the Y-wing and standard X-wings at least. Not sure about the rest.

Last edited:

SpankmasterC

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder, would an Ace pack also include something for E-wings? What other Rebel ships are in dire need of tweaking?
As i understand it, the A-wing and B-wing may not be stellar but they aren't in nearly as bad spot as E-wings and X-wings.

EDIT here's my current thinking for my Rebel team:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!3:-1,2:-1:20:;6:-1,126,1,163:-1:25:;64:-1:-1:-1:;64:-1:-1:-1:;2:-1,206:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Quantity over quality. The one X-wing has that M9 droid because i really didn't come up with any better ideas (don't have more R2s or Targeting Astromechs), and i figured the ship would be supporting the Y-wing as much as possible.

A tweaking suggestions? Honestly wondering if it'd be better to throw away one Headhunter and give some upgrades, skill or otherwise, to others.
Core idea is to use the Y-wing and standard X-wings at least. Not sure about the rest.
I always feel like I get more mileage out of an extra ship than more upgrades. So I always try to go for more more MORE.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit more upgrades doesn't seem to be working for me usually. Often they end up wasted points... in theory there's a lot one can do with an extra ship after all, it'll always come in handy.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much it can be done withouth changing the list a lot. A minor change I would do is switching where the M9 is to the Rookie, so the Red Squadron guy doesn't attract that much attention.

Dropping a Z to beef up the other ships could be an option (you could even fit Blount with Tracers, or Cracken with whatever you like), but you could also drop *both* Z's and add a third X-wing with any Astromech you may have there to use Integrated. Or Tarn Mison (if you have it) and move the M9-G8 to him to troll the opponent :P

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'd love to do some play time, but there's no community in the local shop a town over sadly

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much it can be done withouth changing the list a lot. A minor change I would do is switching where the M9 is to the Rookie, so the Red Squadron guy doesn't attract that much attention.
Yeah, i noticed that myself. What about two Rookie Pilots and upping the Zs to Talas?
I do wonder, is the M9 actually worth it? Cost-wise, it allows one re-roll like Predator so it doesn't look too bad, but it requires droid slot and a target lock to work, so...?
Dropping a Z to beef up the other ships could be an option (you could even fit Blount with Tracers, or Cracken with whatever you like), but you could also drop *both* Z's and add a third X-wing with any Astromech you may have there to use Integrated. Or Tarn Mison (if you have it) and move the M9-G8 to him to troll the opponent :P
Third X-wing is problematic since i don't have third X-wing :P (No GR-75 either, so no extra X-wing pilots or droids from it.)

The problem with named Rebel pilots for me is that they often require... team work between pilots, something i'm not good at. I tend to fly individual ships as individuals as that is the easiest way to predict their future. Blount with Tracers is neat in principle but i've never managed to make him work... Others like Dutch Vander seem to end up wasted as well usually. One reason i figured i'd try something simple, no named pilots.

Speaking of team work, i need to try Upsilon+TIE/fo swarm again one day. The last time i tried it, it was fun even though i ended up losing. The most hilarious part was the starting position for TIEs being in the middle of the field thanks to that one pilot ability...

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my Upsilon+TIE/fos weirdness:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!228:186,-1,-1,212,-1:-1:-1:;184:254:-1:-1:;184:254:-1:-1:;184:254:-1:-1:;184:254:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Place Dormitz diagonally to around middle, then TIEs to even further from it, all with Focus tokens.
But are the Advanced Optics worth the points here?

EDIT Perhaps Zetas and four points worth of upgrades to Dormitz...
EDIT Maybe this: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Pattern Analyzer to allow coordinate when i must do a red maneuver. Kylo's Shuttle to generate stress, seems reasonable enough use for two points (i don't have Tactician card).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, my Rebel squad didn't work at all. Naturally.
My friend nearly blew up one X-wing with TIE Silencer during the first combat round. I lost a Headhunter to an asteroid, another to really good attack vs really poor defense.
At least i took the TIE Silencer with me... not that it helped me ultimately.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
OK, my Rebel squad didn't work at all. Naturally.
My friend nearly blew up one X-wing with TIE Silencer during the first combat round. I lost a Headhunter to an asteroid, another to really good attack vs really poor defense.
At least i took the TIE Silencer with me... not that it helped me ultimately.
Was the list just the Silencer and Striker? That is a list I have been considering...