• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
Force can be used as a mini-focus token and allows you to change 1 focus result to a hit or evade.

They won't mess around with this, he is already a ridiculously expensive crew card in v1 so he'll no doubt be pricey in v2.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well well, there's already a trade-off. Since Luke grants +1 Force, MF Han+Luke combo likely sports only 1 Force FP. Mini-focus is pretty good, yet so is ability to perform free turret rotates.

Have a good feeling about 2nd ed.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Figure it will depend on what else the Force can be used for. Obviously if that's all the Force you have, then using it to change the turret facing is no-brainer. But if you need it for something else as well... well, there's limited amount of Force available and limited regen.
Either way, we're looking at an expensive card, and since card prices can depend on ships, i highly doubt it will be a real problem. Slapping Luke on MF Han Solo (likely initiative 6) can be way more expensive than using Luke on initiative 5 or less ship.
Also, I think any half decent pilot will be able to predict which 180° total arc will be more advantageous or how to position themselves in a way that likely leads to both positions having possible shots. The addition of the choice is such a welcome addition to the mindless design of before, but it's still going to be very potent.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
Well well, there's already a trade-off. Since Luke grants +1 Force, MF Han+Luke combo likely sports only 1 Force FP. Mini-focus is pretty good, yet so is ability to perform free turret rotates.

Have a good feeling about 2nd ed.

Exactly, any upgrade cards that add a force token allow you to use it as an asset for either the upgrade card or the modification of dice. Further to this, the new Blinded Pilot card no longer makes you skip an attack, you just cannot modify your attack except for using the force (very thematic). Also, it doesn't go away until you use an action to flip the crit.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I read in the FFG forms that TIE Interceptors will be getting autothrusters, which is now a core mechanic that allows a red boost action after any action. Basically, it's a built in PTL!

Auto thruster. Autothrusters. I love it!!

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
A red Boost or a red Barrel Roll. TIE Interceptor is the only ship that we know of that can chain those two actions (as they have them on the action bar too) in any order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Next friday will be interesting:

jjcvPWL.png

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the ship bases and pegs were more... sound.
Just fixed two ships whose connection pegs got detached, and superglued one peg to my Decimator because the connection peg in it is so loose.
Pegs themselves are kinda weak, and the large bases creak alarmingly when trying to connect a peg to one so that it doesn't detach right away!

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish the ship bases and pegs were more... sound.
Just fixed two ships whose connection pegs got detached, and superglued one peg to my Decimator because the connection peg in it is so loose.
Pegs themselves are kinda weak, and the large bases creak alarmingly when trying to connect a peg to one so that it doesn't detach right away!
I completely agree. I have five or six ships (out of ~130) whose bottom peg connector broke off after the first use. I need to contact them for replacements since the pegs didn't just come out, they snapped as if they were flawed.

I'm considering doing a massive assembly line style of magnetization mods for every ship, but that's a lot of damn work.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, i wonder if they'd sent a replacement for my red A-wing whose engine is misaligned and the ring part is actually broken? I did order a replacement for a TIE Bomber that was obviously flawed, but i wonder if the A-wing is bad enough?

Counting my collection... I got 10 large ships and 60 small ships.
Shelf has space for maybe 40 ships more. I know i'll get Saw's Renegades and TIE Reaper, need to figure out two more small ships to get the sale price from LGS. Wish we knew which ships are certainly getting resculpts in 2ed for later waves, would help picking ships now.

As much as i'd like to see Republic and Confederation factions (quite plausible, given that FO and Resistance will form true factions in 2ed), i kinda hope they don't make those, i'll run out of space.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Mmm, i wonder if they'd sent a replacement for my red A-wing whose engine is misaligned and the ring part is actually broken? I did order a replacement for a TIE Bomber that was obviously flawed, but i wonder if the A-wing is bad enough?

Counting my collection... I got 10 large ships and 60 small ships.
Shelf has space for maybe 40 ships more. I know i'll get Saw's Renegades and TIE Reaper, need to figure out two more small ships to get the sale price from LGS. Wish we knew which ships are certainly getting resculpts in 2ed for later waves, would help picking ships now.

As much as i'd like to see Republic and Confederation factions (quite plausible, given that FO and Resistance will form true factions in 2ed), i kinda hope they don't make those, i'll run out of space.
Just show a picture of the model and you'll probably get it replaced. They are very accommodating in that regard.

I truly don't want prequel content. I hate the discontinuity in aesthetic design, the depiction of Jedi or droids, or any of the plot elements.

That said, we know there is going to be a smaller TIE Silencer since they admitted last one is scaled incorrectly. X-Wings, Y-Wings, and Protectorate Starfighters have been confirmed. B-Wings are rumored, and A-Wings, E-Wings, and Kihraxz are being requested.

I'm sure there's going to be a Solo movie tie-in Falcon and TIE Heavy this year, too.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I reckon they'll finish current factions faster than new ships are made to the franchise (at least at current rate). So they will have to branch out to prequels (or something else) sooner rather than later, if they wish to keep selling new stuff. This is because I think they'll focus to current expanded universe series and films before old expanded universe at the moment. I may be wrong, of course.
I understood that updating things for second edition takes much, much less time than it has taken to release everything so far, but even so re-releasing existing ships won't be so interesting to current players...

Let's see, what's missing...
Scum:
-Solo Falcon, most likely for the Scum, could have a mini-ship like the Ghost has.
-Mining Guild TIE Fighter. Is it it likely? I don't think so but why not, since the Rebels have their own TIE fighter? Color and partial solar panels certainly make it distinct looking.
Empire:
-TIE Heavy, role-wise, i figure the TIE Heavy will replace the TIE/sf, or will be analogous to it in some way.
-Delta-class shuttle, now actually a possibility given that the Empire will lose Upsilon. However, i don't expect this to be a priority.
First Order:
-Xi-class shuttle, a cheaper option for the First Order as they'll lose the Lambda. As with the Delta, i doubt this is a priority.
-AAL troop transport, could offer a small or medium base transport/support option for the First Order. Questionable option for space game though, given its drop ship nature.
Resistance:
-RZ-2 A-wing, undoubtedly will become the Resistance arc dodger option.
-B-wing Mk2. We haven't seen this but the Resistance transport uses parts of it, and the Resistance will need a heavy jouster/ordnance ship option.
-Resistance Transport could offer a U-wing-like option for the Resistance, a small or medium base support.
-"Resistance" tv-series logo ship". Given its looks, it could be a Headhunter-derivative or similar, and could fulfill "filler" role for the Resistance.

Note on the First Order:
They are missing a small support, a turret ship, and any kind of bomber ships. While all factions may not get all kinds of ships, i doubt they'll leave out mostly specialized things like SLAM ships rather than sorta basic archetypes. The bomber role would be most easy to fulfill, with some kind of FO TIE Bomber variant, but i wonder if this will have to wait till we see one in a film or a tv series?

That's all i could think off.
Honestly, that's not much, especially if you weed out some unlikely and overlapping stuff like the shuttles. Figure we'll get Solo Falcon, TIE Heavy, and A-wing RZ-2 this year almost certainly. The First Order will likely get something as well, same time as they're getting their conversion kit.
Undoubtedly the Resistance TV series will have new ships for both the Resistance and First Order, but i doubt it will have many new ships right away.

So, yeah, i figure they'll run out of stuff to do sooner rather than later, and so introducing new factions offers them new opportunities. I really doubt they'll bring old-ass ships like T-wings or "uglies" or all those stupid TIE variants from old expanded universe.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This year, Dave Filoni's new show is an anime style cartoon revolving around Resistance fighter pilots pitted against First Order fighters. It's inspired by WW2 dog fights, so I expect tons of content to come from that just as we got from Rebels.

star-wars-resistance-1200x520.jpg

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Vaksai'd Kihraxz are tricky. Low skilled pilots become expensive but ultimately weak, and can't use missiles effectively. Yet taking a good pilot and pimping their rides is very expensive! I like 'em, but man, they're difficult.

Scum Boba is surprisingly good. Went with Expertise, Tail Gunner, and Engine Upgrade.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Scum Boba is surprisingly good. Went with Expertise, Tail Gunner, and Engine Upgrade.

An hilarious Boba everybody must try at least once, is Fearlessness, Cluster Missiles, K4 (or Dengar if you don't fear bumps on the initial pass to TL), Glitterstim. Guidance Chips recommended, but without Engine Upgrade may be tricky to move to some.

Switch Cluster Missiles for Autoblaster Cannon for minor but countinuous laughs.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
Just noticed this, but 2nd Edition is dropping the 'Miniatures Game' from the title. All official Packaging just has the game called 'Star Wars X-Wing'

Slow news day.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably mostly a marketing move. "Miniature game" might make people think it requires painting and assembling minis, or something? Or the name's just too long. And it isn't like there are anything else with "X-wing" in the name now, like X-wing video games or X-wing comics.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I've followed X-Wing for a while but never had the courage to jump in, especially once it got pretty late into the waves. I'm really excited for 2nd Edition as a point to finally make the plunge. I just hope that with the conversion kits I won't already be at a disadvantage if I'm barely starting compared to people who have all these newly converted ships.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As i understood it, early 2nd edition tournaments will be restricted to Wave 1 ships (ie core set, Y-wing, X-wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Advanced) to let newbies have chance.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
That's good to hear. I'll take that!

I thought I read somewhere that the last 1st Edition Wave will have 2e stuff in it, right? I guess I'll look into that, too.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to sell a bunch of my excess. I want the updated models, and I am planning on getting two starter sets at launch for two extra limited damage decks, so I'll start the second edition waves with 4 TIE/ln, 2 rebel T-65 X-Wing, and one or two Partisan T-65 X-Wing and U-Wing miniatures. Most of everything beyond one conversion kit worth of ships can be sold to build up my collection of upgraded models.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
2.0 question. Will there be pilots and upgrade cards in the 2.0 individual ship packs that are not included in the conversion kits? Like, say I already have 4 TIE fighters from 1.0 and I buy the conversion kit for Empire, which comes with cardboard and pilots for 4 TIEs. Does this completely eliminate the need to buy the 2.0 individual TIE ships, provided that I don't want more than 4?

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
2.0 question. Will there be pilots and upgrade cards in the 2.0 individual ship packs that are not included in the conversion kits? Like, say I already have 4 TIE fighters from 1.0 and I buy the conversion kit for Empire, which comes with cardboard and pilots for 4 TIEs. Does this completely eliminate the need to buy the 2.0 individual TIE ships, provided that I don't want more than 4?

Ive looked around and Icant find any info on what exactly is in conversion boxes. I don't think they have announced that much yet. They've shown pilots that aren't in the 1.0 boxes though (there's an 2.0 Ezra pilot for Sabines tie, which wasn't in 1.0) so it's possible the reverse will be true.

Kharnete posted saying they'll have an unboxing Friday, so I. Guess we'll find out then.

I'm just curious how they will handle epts and other cards? Will you basically just get billion cards, even for ships you might not own? I don't know how they can do it.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Ive looked around and Icant find any info on what exactly is in conversion boxes. I don't think they have announced that much yet. They've shown pilots that aren't in the 1.0 boxes though (there's an 2.0 Ezra pilot for Sabines tie, which wasn't in 1.0) so it's possible the reverse will be true.

Kharnete posted saying they'll have an unboxing Friday, so I. Guess we'll find out then.

I'm just curious how they will handle epts and other cards? Will you basically just get billion cards, even for ships you might not own? I don't know how they can do it.

There are something like 200 cards in the conversion kits (along with the cardboard tokens and medium sized bases) that provide all the upgrades for each ship represented in the box. I believe they've stated that all of Wave 1 and 2 content will be included in the conversion box, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll definitely be watching the unboxing video to compare it to the T-65 X-Wing unboxing.

Also, they've stated that individual 2.0 ship released will not contain unique upgrades like the Starviper did with Autothrusters, and they will proliferate upgrades across all factions.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017

There's conflicting information on this.

In on side, Alex Davy and Mr. Brooks, the game designers, saying that for the first couple waves *all* the cards from the blisters are included in the conversion kits. The only exception is the Core content, where there are some things exclusive to it (Luke and so, just like the current Core sets).

On the other side, the Organized Play boss at Asmodee Spain (which isn't known by talking BS, but everybody can be wrong at times) saying there's *one* pilot on each blister that won't come in the conversion kits, using Norra Wexley as example.

Both, the designers and the Spanish OP guy, agree that there will be ways to acquire those pilots/cards that may not be included on the conversion kits, either because they are exclusive for each blister, either because they didn't think of it at the moment they designed the conversion kits (something that *will* happen for Wave 3 onwards), without buying each individual "reedited" blister.

This friday there will be an unboxing at FFG's Twitch channel, so we'll see what's going on. If there's no Norra on Y-Wing on the Rebel kit... :P. They will also sell everything at the Gencon on early August, so we'll know everything by then.

Upgrade cards, each kit has all the cards the ships inside it can use, both unique for that faction and generic. According to FFG.es, there are 167 Upgrade cards in the Scum kit, 153 for the Imperial, and 162 on the Rebel side. Pilot cards go from 84 to 99.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
I hadn't heard the part regarding the Spanish OP guy, but I suspect there's gonna be some truth to what he says. Having just conversion kits, although amazing for the customer, is only going to make them so much money.

But I would absolutely love it if they confirm the answer once and for all this Friday.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2.0 announcement really got me interested in the game again. I'm glad they're making an effort to diminish the card bloat that struck X-Wing.

Only thing that really bugs me (beyond the 140 dollar price tag for converting my Rebels and Scum) is how they're separating the First Order/Empire and Resistance/Rebels. Poe is my favorite pilot in the game and it sucks that I will no longer be able to fly him with the majority of my other ships.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hunh, got me interested although my collections so small if I were to hop in and get started I probably wouldn't buy the catchups and just buy a core instead. Of course that's if I wind up near a shop that runs it where I move next. All I have is tfa starter(which I could care less about updating), hired guns, rebel aces, tie defender, tie inquisitor, and an h6 scurrg. Although I wonder if I could just getaway with a new core, and then a ywing(and just share between it and the scum one and use both as rebels)... hmm things to consider

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been talking about this at work for a week with people who know nothing about the game. There's no time to look at my phone while on the clock, but I'll be watching the whole recording as soon as I'm off.

I'm freaking hyped.

Coincidentally, this has also caused a Resurgence in excitement for Armada. I just got a notification from an Etsy shop that my order of Armada fix templates to more easily keep track of squadrons on the board has shipped.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
That stream was more than I'd ever hoped to see. Was great.

Also noted that they point out that the exclusive pilot cards come in the conversion kits!

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap just looked up the prices on the conversion kits, this new edition is gonna cost a lot

Is expensive if you play (and want to keep playing) all the factions/ships or you have a shitton of ships of certain faction and want things for all of them*. If you only play one faction, with ~90$/€ you are good, and that's basically the cost of a regular full Wave.

If you play everyhing (like me XD)... then yep, those 190$/€ are a lot. The options there is either focus initially in one faction and buy the other kits later, start saving money now for all three kits :P, or getting rid of one or more factions. I was tempted for the third option, but I think I will do a "fuck this" and go for the second.

*Here I still think you only need one kit and trade for whatever extra things you may require to use in official tournaments, and proxy the hell out of them outside those (casual play, Epic and so). Or just ask for them to a friend whenever you may need it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I pretty much collected every release so yea, it's gonna cost me a ton. Really think they went overboard with redoing even the dials and so many items, it should have simply been card updates

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some dials were atrocious. And some compare very badly to newer dials, as they're missing new maneuvers. They needed to be redone.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I watched the video in the OP and this game seems really neat. I don't think I have the disposable income for it right now but maybe someday I'll fly with y'all. I love the models -- I've seen some at my local hobby shop and at Barnes & Noble and they're really lovely.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video in the OP and this game seems really neat. I don't think I have the disposable income for it right now but maybe someday I'll fly with y'all. I love the models -- I've seen some at my local hobby shop and at Barnes & Noble and they're really lovely.

There's a new edition coming this September with the same basics but new/refreshed/improved/tweaked mechanics, so it may be a great starting point.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/x-wing-second-edition/

Don't dare to buy anything until then tho, as they change everything but the models. And in tons of cases, even the model (either to add detail, either to make some cool shenanigans like mobile wings).

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Some dials were atrocious. And some compare very badly to newer dials, as they're missing new maneuvers. They needed to be redone.

This.

They seriously limited themselves when they put everything on the cards and dials, limiting the ways they had to issue updates to keep ships competitive.

While the kits are expensive, the up side is if there's ever a 3.0, it will involve much less work to convert, since it's all digital now.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
There's a new edition coming this September with the same basics but new/refreshed/improved/tweaked mechanics, so it may be a great starting point.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/x-wing-second-edition/

Don't dare to buy anything until then tho, as they change everything but the models. And in tons of cases, even the model (either to add detail, either to make some cool shenanigans like mobile wings).

Oh nice. Good timing, thanks.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Conversion kits look great! I hope availability isn't a problem in the beginning. If you order from minimarket, everything is like $10 off MSRP, so that is definitely helpful. That's assuming you don't have a local place that has even better discounts (I don't).

Also, is there anywhere I can read up on the updated rules, even if it's just speculation? I have no idea what some of the new symbols on the cards mean.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Kharnete do you know if any store in Spain will carry the English version with the preorder bonus damage deck?

According to the Organized Play guy, the promo damage decks will be on Spanish. So if you want it on English, you'll need to seek something online (either preordering somewhere else, either buying the deck from someone).