• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this is pretty interesting:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/279580-secrets-of-the-lost-sku/

It seems there was a planned expansion called "Masters of the Force", but for whatever reason it was canned. EDIT Naturally assuming it is real.
The most plausible speculation is that the Force was going to be added to 1ed X-wing but was canned for whatever reason, perhaps being too complicated to add to 1ed along with that the second edition must have been in development already. If you look at the latest ships, they have mechanics and things that are far more prominent in the second edition: Bull's-eye arc, reload action, jam action, etc., so the Force having beginning in the 1ed is possible, even if never released.
What could have it contained? I'd guess bunch of pilot cards and Force upgrades, maybe a ships for the Rebels and Empire (as they have most Force users). But we'll probably never know now.

This reminds me that the 2ed is missing SKUs XWZ02 and XWZ03. The Core Set is the number 1, and 4 is Lando's Millenium Falcon, followed by Dice Pack at 5, and then 6-8 comprise the conversion kits.
While 2 and 3 could be the Resistance and First Order conversion kits, that seems weird as they're taking until wave 2, logically they're numbered 18 and 19 or higher.
Makes me wonder if A-wing RZ-2 (TLJ Resistance ship) and the TIE Heavy (Solo Empire ship) were planned, along with Lando's MF for 1st ed but skipped and moved to 2ed, taking slots 2 and 3, but then later delayed for whatever reason. Otherwise, whatever else could have been slated here?

EDIT Oh, and the Upcoming products page is scrubbed from all first edition ships. Logically this means there will be no more reprints. Naturally unclear how long stocks last but if one wants ships with unique paint jobs (they won't be reprinted apparently), you might want to get them sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be heading to a Store Champ event next week. I've played in one monthly OP event this year (maybe two, can't remember if I went in January or not) and that was my only time playing the game this year. I didn't know that's going back to work would mean I'd no longer be able to have any hobbies (should have played a lot more during my two years of unemployment). Part of it was job-related and part of it was related to the 2.0 announcement and how that killed all of my hype for the game for months. The event next Saturday is the same day as the only close Armada Store Championships but this is kind of the last hurrah for my beloved X-Wing 1.0, so it's an easy choice.

No clue what I'll fly yet though. Part of me wants to fly a favorite that I flew early on in 1.0, like an all-Interceptor list or PalpAces. Or maybe fly just a favorite list in general, like something with Miranda, maybe my Miranda, Tarn Misen, Braylen Stramm list. Thats what I flew last year for Store Champs and it's appealing to me for a couple reasons: Tarn Misen is no more, Braylen got moved to the B-Wing from the ARC, and Miranda (hell, the whole K-Wing chassis for that matter) looks DoA and useless in 2.0. I was doing well with Rey and Norra for a while though, probably the best I'd done with any list.
But then part of me wants to fly something crazy that'll never get seen in 2.0. Or maybe fly something new. I wanted to fly a Dual Silencer + An Ace (probably QuickDraw) list since the Silencer came out and never did. I guess the Reapers are pretty popular right now, with people flying two of them and QuickDraw, or two of them with Vader. I guess I could do two Silencers and a Reaper?

I've got a lot of decisions to make. Probably won't be able to get in a practice match by next Saturday either, so I'll be super-rusty. Need to familiarize myself with the most-recent FAQ; I am pretty sure one has come out since the 2.0 announcement, which means I ignored it.

And for the record: I've come around on 2.0, I guess. I'm not super-hyped for it and am still annoyed at some of the small changes, like the full-size upgrade cards full of wasted space and stuff like that. I at least plan on pre-ordering the core set and an Imp conversion kit for release and playing in the first 2.0 event a few days after, as opposed to my initial plan of waiting a while. If I want to play X-Wing anytime soon, no one else will be playing 1.0 anymore, so I'll have to adopt 2.0 or not be able to play it anymore.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like the sound of Nora and Rey, and if you're going to be rusty at a tournament, you may as well give yourself as much advantage as possible through your familiarity with that list.

I haven't played since the 2.0 announcement, either, but all the changes have me hyped more than I ever have been. Pretty much every single change seems like one for the better, though I'm not familiar with the new K-Wing chassis; maybe it'll be competitively priced.

Sorry to hear about your work cutting into your personal time so drastically. I hope things are able to normalize and allow you a chance to pursue that which you want.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Tie Pinisher has a gunner slot too, same really bombardier is the only real useful one. Makes me wonder if in the future the gunner upgrades are going to be buffs for not only the turret attacks but all the secondary weapons.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tie Pinisher has a gunner slot too, same really bombardier is the only real useful one. Makes me wonder if in the future the gunner upgrades are going to be buffs for not only the turret attacks but all the secondary weapons.
I would imagine those are a possibility. Hopefully they'll be careful about it though, to avoid power creep.
As it is, i wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to have the game work with current stuff mostly for now, add stuff only after niches are identified for future upgrades. At least that would be the smart way...

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I like the sound of Nora and Rey, and if you're going to be rusty at a tournament, you may as well give yourself as much advantage as possible through your familiarity with that list.

I haven't played since the 2.0 announcement, either, but all the changes have me hyped more than I ever have been. Pretty much every single change seems like one for the better, though I'm not familiar with the new K-Wing chassis; maybe it'll be competitively priced.

Sorry to hear about your work cutting into your personal time so drastically. I hope things are able to normalize and allow you a chance to pursue that which you want.
I'm actually not that big of a fan of Norra but I can't deny that she can hit really hard, which makes her such a good partner for Rey since Rey can hit hard as well. I run my Rey with VI rather than the standard Expertise that is always stapled onto her because I've had a lot more times where shooting first has been a benefit rather than time's where I hadn't taken a focus token for my action. But with Reapers being popular right now and Jam being a thing, maybe Expertise might be better. Rey (with Finn, Kanan, and sloop title) is just so easy to fly that it's making that list stand out to me. But the desire to fly something as a farewell to 1.0 with my favorite ship (Interceptors) or just my favorite faction (Imperial) in it is super-strong.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars coming for X-wing! Woo!

Fuck. Can't afford them. As it is looks like i'll be getting 2e core and Empire and Rebel kits, nothing more for near-future.

This came from GenCon apparently.

Also A-wing RZ-2 for Resistance.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what will I do with the Clone Wars stuff. I resigned myself to Scum with Rebels as alternative faction (with maybe a Resistance tie-in), so doesn't feel that appealing to me. Maybe if they release some sexy ship I may really want and there's a fun list with it, but otherwise...

Seems we'll have an article tomorrow.

Also, LOL at the Executor on Armada. That's a big model. Seems larger than XW Epic ships.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, i just realized, i said some months ago something akin to "they'll have to do Clone Wars sooner rather than later as they're running out of ships for the game".
Indeed, there aren't many reasonable options for the Rebels and Empire left. TIE Heavy, TIE Avenger though hard to think good roles for either one, overlapping with TIE Aggressor and TIE Defender/Advanced X1, respectively. For the Rebels... eh, drawing blank here, unless you delve into old EU and things like T-wing.

The Resistance and First Order seem to be small factions for now. Probably changes somewhat once Resistance series is done but i'm highly doubtful it'll introduce many new ships, despite its focus on space combat. A prototype or two, maybe we'll see B-wing Mk2 and T-85 X-wing, First Order bombers or other assault craft, but what else?

Scum works across all eras easily. Funny enough, Scum already got a bunch of Clone Wars stuff, Asajj Ventress and Cad Bane being notable even if they don't have real Clone Wars-era ships.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, Resistance and FO conversion kits are apparently 30 dollars. A bit on the expensive side, given that the others are much larger and cost 50.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Executor is going to be the coolest thing about Armada, and I say that as a huge Armada fan!

Clone Wars is already the most disappointing thing about X-Wing, and I'm hoping the rumored card-only packs are real so I can obtain their respective upgrade cards without ever having to dirty my shelves with those ships.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The articles for Mining Guild TIE amd Resistance and First Order kits are up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/2/mining-modifications/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/2/evil-resurgent/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/2/spark-of-rebellion-1/

The Scum TIEs seems going to trolling and messing with the rival, something I approve. And this Elite talent is quite neat.

swz19_a1_awing_spread.png

Also: the man, the legend, is back. And now as a 6.
swz18_a1_midnight.png

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017

Welp, now I have a dilemma. I made the Spanish translation for the original YASB, but I was already on peace with Geordan's decision of not doing anything for the 2.0. So no idea what I'll do with this on September. I guess it will depend on if I do like FFG's builder or not. Being YASB the only builder I liked was the reason I translated it after all :P

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
It will have one for sure, but I'm more afraid on the quality/design of the app itself than anything else. The problem is actually YASB, is so damn good and simple it will be hard for FFG to create something that won't make me miss it.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was never fond of YASB. The images and card text aren't readily available when creating squads, and the formatting was nothing catchy. X-Wing Squadron Builder was the best for me, but it stopped getting updates last year.

It's such a straight forward task that I can't imagine FFG being incapable of succeeding to create a user friendly builder.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to figure out potential builds for TIE Defenders in 2e. Lack of double-tapping meanings cannons are dubious point tax mostly. Missiles offer some utility but only if i have left-over points. Feels like it boils down to "Juke, FCS", though admittedly other talents and Collision Detector are options. Really doesn't help the ship is so expensive as it is, hard to justify using more points on it.

More annoying is lack of Maarek Stele (despite his dubious ability), and Vult Skerris from Rebels would've made wonderful addition.
(Maarek Stele should be a Gunboat pilot as well.)

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
The RZ-2 A-Wing is a different ship than the one the Rebellion used, right? More elongated? I already have 4 A-Wings, so I'm not really looking forward to buying another, but I need Tallie and L'ulo. Their cards won't be in the Resistance Conversion Kit, will they? The Conversion Kits only include stuff that's been released in 1.0?

I do love all the new canon pilots though. Joph Seastriker, Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree, L'ulo from Black Squadron. Exciting stuff!

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from what will probably be my only Store Championship this season. I've been up for over 24 hours since I had work over night into the morning, and I've got work in a few hours, so I need to try to get a couple hours of sleep. I'll edit in the details later but I went 13 out of 24. Not that great but last year at the same store I placed like 27 out of 32 or something terrible like that, so it's a step up.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The RZ-2 A-Wing is a different ship than the one the Rebellion used, right? More elongated? I already have 4 A-Wings, so I'm not really looking forward to buying another, but I need Tallie and L'ulo. Their cards won't be in the Resistance Conversion Kit, will they? The Conversion Kits only include stuff that's been released in 1.0?
Yes, different ship. Resistance only, as the faction is no longer a sub-faction but a fully fledged one, so you're gonna need 'em if you want to fly A-wings with the Resistance. No, the cards aren't in the conversion kit, it is indeed for 1.0 stuff only.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from what will probably be my only Store Championship this season. I've been up for over 24 hours since I had work over night into the morning, and I've got work in a few hours, so I need to try to get a couple hours of sleep. I'll edit in the details later but I went 13 out of 24. Not that great but last year at the same store I placed like 27 out of 32 or something terrible like that, so it's a step up.
Grab some sleep, but awesome job considering the hellacious schedule you went through.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Off work now and about to crash but here's the deets about yesterday:

Alright, I'll delete the previous stuff and add in some actual info.
24 people showed, which is down from last year but still pretty good considering a lot of people are on hiatus until 2.0 drops. One of the somewhat-local Store Championships last weekend or the weekend before that drew less than 8 people. We had some people come from all over the region and two of the SlingPaint dudes drove down to mop the floor with everyone again like last year.

I brought Rey and Norra but with a couple tweaks from the list I normally fly. I know Expertise is what people staple to Rey but I've always liked VI on her to try to shoot before some other pilots that commonly get flown around here. Reapers are supposed to be somewhat popular in the meta right now and I banked on there being more jamming than stress control going on, so I went with Expertise rather than using VI and being required to take a focus that would wind up jammed. Of course there was only one Reaper there today and I didn't even face it but stress wasn't a huge thing today either. I didn't have the points for PtL and Kyle on Norra which is what I normally use (Kyle over C-3PO), so I dropped Kyle to Nien Nunb (since I'm doing greens for R2D2 regen, might as well turn that red 4 straight into a green) and bumped PtL up to Expertise too so I would only have to take a target lock to prep for offence.

Match One: 25-100
Match 1 was against against the young son of a local player. He was flying three generic X-Wings with R2 Astromech and Integrated, plus a TLT Y-Wing with R2. He got into some good positions with multiple range one shots on Rey early on and put her in a bad spot (well figuratively out her in a bad spot, after I literally put her into a bad spot). After killing an X-Wing I tried to run away with Rey a bit since I had taken a ton of damage but I had left Norra too close to everyone else and she became the primary target while I tried to bring Rey back in. Both got blown up and the X-Wing is the only thing I killed.

Match Two: 00-100
Match 2 was almost a mirror match against a local who flys a lot of Rey, who was playing Rey/Norra (but with PtL and C3P0 on Norra). I managed to get some hits on Norra after stripping her of her shields but Rey was chipping away at my ships while Norra regen-ed. Early on I did get a good block on his Rey that led to him being a bit worried I guess but I couldn't capitalize on it and he did a fantastic job of predicting my movement after that. Didn't even really target Rey at all because I thought I'd jack up his Norra worse than I did during the Rey bump, so half points wasn't even an option for me. Getting tabled was the result.

During this lunch break is when I began considering dropping my fourth match. I wanted to come home and get some sleep and I was doing horribly anyway. Luckily my math wasn't that good when I was thinking about four 75-minute rounds and round three ended earlier than I had figured it would, so I didn't drop.

Match Three: 100-00
Match Two was against a guy from a little ways away who was pretty new to the game. He flew Ketsu Onyo in the Shadowcaster with Dengar crew, and a Mangler Cannon Bossk. I noticed while we were setting dials that his Shadowcaster was pointed the wrong way, pointed directly towards him off his side of the map; the mobile firing arc was pointed towards me but that was the rear of the ship. I didn't really want to win a match in that fashion so I definitely pointed it out to him. He rotated it the correct way but forgot to rotate the mobile arc, which I didn't really catch either, so he didn't ever get any benefits from Ketsu's ability since the arc was pointing the wrong way from my ships. I pinned down Ketsu and burned the ship away extremely quick with Rey and Norra putting out 4-5 hits each for a few turns. Bossk was next and he knocked away a few shields from Rey, getting some really good shots and crits that he could use his ability on. I had him in arc the whole time and was rolling extremely hot with my 2 green dice (1 AGI and 1 blank from Finn) though, so I escaped the worst of it and avoided giving up half points on Rey for the sweep.

Match Four: 100-62
Match 4 was against a player I'd never met who had driven a bit further than I did. He flew BroBots, Bravo and Charlie. I was pretty worried because though I had been putting out solid offense all day, that was against 1 or 2 AGI ships. These were two 3 AGI ships with Autothrusters and Glitterstims, who could boost and sloop their way into Range 3 easily for that extra green die. He was getting very unlucky with his defense rolls though all match. I knocked the shields off Bravo first before he disengaged. He got some solid hits on Rey and knocked her shields off pretty quickly too, getting a crit through on me that dealt a stress to me at an inopportune time that shut down my Expertise and kept me from doing a sloop + boost that I would have really needed to get a nice kill (would have cleared the stress from the white 3 bank but the rotation from title would have dealt another one and I would have lost Expertise that round). He broke off with Bravo and left Charlie behind, so I focused on Charlie and whittled it down to nothing. He had brought Bravo around again and killed Rey, but we wound up with full-health, full-shield (she had lost them but R2D2'd them back on) Norra w/ Target Lock jousting his one-hull IG-88B. His Bravo did avoid a lot of damage for several turns prior by consistantly rolling a focus result when rolling to see if he took damage at the beginning of combat from a crit, and then when rolling for asteroid and debris damage. Could have been over a lot sooner but that eyeball kept coming up when he'd roll. My Norra easily won that joust though.

Some other lists present yesterday, from my poor memory: 4 B-Wings. Two Scurrgs that a guy has been flying a lot recently. Four accuracy corrector TIE Advanced with something else (usually this guy flys the four with a naked TAP). A Rebel list with a few X-Wings and a Sheathipede. A 5 X-Wing list. An Imperial list with Countdown, Vermeil in the Reaper, and Whisper I think? A list with a Silencer, Defender, and another ship (can't recall the third ship). Rey and a Lothal Rebel. I know I saw Captain Rex on a table, a U-Wing on a table, a Mist Hunter piloted by Zuckuss, and some K-fighters. Pretty varied event, I felt like.

I got an awesome large piece of wallart featuring BB-8 as a doorprize that I get to hang in my new house. I'm set with a Juke for 2.0 and a custom 2.0 Vader (one of the guys who attends has been making alt-arts to give away at events for a year or more now). Before leaving for the event that morning I hopped on the store's FB Pre-Orders page and signed up to get one of the 2.0 core sets, the promo damage deck, and one each of the Wave 1 conversion kits at the store's pre-order discount ($150 for all of it), so I've got that to look forward to in a month. The purchase comes with free admission into the OP event right after that too, so that'll be nice.

All in all it was a good day. I'm glad I didn't drop out like I was considering and I'm glad I stayed awake for it; tiredness wasn't too big of an issue for me except for about halfway through the hour drive home when my eyes got real heavy and I had to crank the AC, sit up as straight as possible, and belt out the lyrics to Lost Horizons songs as loud as I could to keep from falling asleep. Wish I could go to another, and wish I could fly Imperials for maybe one of my last 1.0 games. There is a Store Championship in Myrtle Beach next weekend that probably won't draw hardly any people but they start at 3PM and I have work that morning and that night. Luckily the local store that my group abandoned over issues with the manager is under new management and wants to get X-Wing going again there. He's set up a recurring event for Wednesday nights, clearanced his 1.0 stock to 20% off to try to move some of it to make room for 2.0, and said he's open to ordering tourney kits after we do a couple local small-scale events to see how big the interest is. I am gonna try to demo X-Wing in there and hopefully hook some new people soon too. So my 1.0 days might not be 100% over with the completion of yesterday's event. Maybe I'll be able to start playing again somewhat regularly if I can stop in there weekly.

Oh well. I've had two hours of sleep in the last 37 hours, so I'm done-

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice write up, and 2-2 with that lack of sleeping is great. I would've sucked on the same situation :P

For my part I didn't expect to attend any other 1.0 tournament (2-3 of the stores in the area will wait until the second edition is out) or even play again, but there's a special event tomorrow (a regular 3-round tournament but with the Store kit mostly raffled away and pizzas) and I've been convinced to go by some friends. I'll go almost full YOLO:

Kavil — Y-Wing 24
Attanni Mindlink 1
Twin Laser Turret 6
Unhinged Astromech 1
Vectored Thrusters 2
Ship Total: 34

Zuckuss — G-1A Starfighter 28
Attanni Mindlink 1
Outlaw Tech 2
Fire-Control System 2
Tractor Beam 1
Mist Hunter 0
Ship Total: 34

Thweek — StarViper 28
Fire-Control System 2
Glitterstim 2
Autothrusters 2
StarViper Mk. II -3
Virago 1
Ship Total: 32

Fully YOLO would be Autoblaster and Ion Bombs on Kavil instead the TLT, and Contraband Cybernetics on Zuckuss. I'm still undecided, I'll need to think on it tomorrow morning.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/281090-the-day-twitter-broke-x-wing/
This is amusing. Apparently it is currently possible to create a situation in X-wing 2ed where the game gets stuck because one player cannot legally place Boba Fett crewed ship at start and there are no provisions for situation like this. It will be undoubtedly get errata but it is amusing for now.
I have to agree with the commonly proposed clarification that allows you to ignore enemy ships outside of the standard placement and gives the option to place Boba Fett in the standard setup zone.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
A gazillion years after I played it using Vassal, tomorrow we'll start an Aturi Cluster campaign with a group of friends. It's about godamn time.

They don't want to touch any 1.0 thing anymore tho, so we'll use some 2.0 Beta rules someone posted on Facebook. We won't be able to break the game with crazy and stupid combos as much as we could on First Edition, but it will be fun nonetheless.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
X-wing Second Edition is out. Unless you are on a crapy country like me, where it's released tomorrow :P

The companion APP is also out on website version, and while the android app CAN be downloaded, the fact that doesn't show up on a search and the "coming soon on Android and iOS" from the announcement, kinda indicates it isn't actually the intended public version yet. The gazillion weird things it has supports that theory.

These days I'll rework the OP.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I will get it will Saturday. I ordered it alongside Rogue Trader and that doesn't release till then so I presume they are gonna get shipped together. It's only two days but seeing all my local club happily open their sets and post pictures online is a bummer.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The cost to upgrade to 2E is pretty shocking, already had couple local players pretty much cut out and selling off their gear. For the more casual players, the cost to upgrade their collections is pretty silly. While some changes are welcome, they kinda went overboard here.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the increased prices for expansions, upgrading is cheap-ish, depending on what and how many things one is converting. For me, single faction kit is enough, and as long as 1E expansions stay available, i can increase my fleets pretty cheaply.
Would cost me more to re-create my current fleet over time than it is to convert it.
Admittedly it is expensive thing to do on one go.

That said, i think i'll be selling my sequel ships. I have little interest in converting them given that those kits are expensive compared to variety they offer, plus with two far more interesting factions coming...

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Picked up two starter sets and Lando's falcon. Will be picking away at conversion kits next week. I'm super excited because I've been taking to my co-workers about how improved and balanced the game has become with this revision, and two of them seem to be willing and eager to learn the game and play!

The app is definitely unfinished on Android, though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Given the increased prices for expansions, upgrading is cheap-ish, depending on what and how many things one is converting. For me, single faction kit is enough, and as long as 1E expansions stay available, i can increase my fleets pretty cheaply.
Would cost me more to re-create my current fleet over time than it is to convert it.
Admittedly it is expensive thing to do on one go.

That said, i think i'll be selling my sequel ships. I have little interest in converting them given that those kits are expensive compared to variety they offer, plus with two far more interesting factions coming...

Have and play all factions, so this is the problem, and most ppl I know were at least collecting and buying most Rebel and Empire ships at the minimum. And keep seeing folks say you need to buy the new starter set to have the updated components to play? So just to support my rebels and empire collection, I have to spend even at discount, close to $120? Just to upgrade to a new edition is nuts, even Gamesworkshop was usually not that bad with it's warhammer edition changes.

And I of course want to keep playing with my scum and ST stuff, so thats another $100 to upgrade those.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nd keep seeing folks say you need to buy the new starter set to have the updated components to play?
Strictly speaking not necessary but you do need templates with center lines and the new tokens (charges especially). Naturally one can do that by getting plastic third party components.
Also one would be missing out Luke and other Core Set exclusive pilots and cards, like Force upgrades, which may or may not be critical, though i'm inclined to think they're pretty important given how strong Force users can be.

I will still maintain that the conversion cost isn't that big in total. New player wanting a similar sized collection will eventually end up spending more due to increased individual expansion prices.

I calculate that using FFG USD prices, my Rebels alone cost (including core set but not counting Resistance ships, Scurgg, or Saw's Guerrilas, rounded up cents) 350 USD (in practice i've paid more due to euro-prices).
Second edition prices are, for expansions, 25% higher. So, ignoring the core set as its price is unchanged: 310*1.25=387.5 USD. Throw in the core set on top of this for 427.5 USD.
As it is, were all Rebel ships available now and i were a new collector, i'd actually end up paying a bit less (in FFG's prices) for all 2E ships, but i am missing the Ghost and the Phantom II from my collection, which would tip the scales. Hell, one more X-wing would be all it takes.

For the Empire, i'll be winning in conversion costs easily. For Scum, i'll be losing but i'll do that conversion later on anyway.

Life is definitively easier for single or two faction players.

EDIT My Rebels is basically "one of everything" collection, with additional Y-wing and Headhunter, but no Ghost, Sabine's TIE (normal TIE works for this in 2E with conversion kit), or Phantom II.

Last edited:

Griegous

Oct 27, 2017
It's really beyond me how they are launching the game with the Android app being in the state it's in...

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Completely forgot that this is out. Might pick up a new starter set tomorrow and see how things look.

I'm still unsure if I actually pick up a german or english version. Having to read "X-Flügler" does ugly things to me.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't pick up my stuff because of this damn hurricane. The store isn't getting their Launch Party Kit, Scum Conversion Kits, or promo damage decks until next week though apparently, so they cancelled the launch event tomorrow because of that, and then also because of the hurricane.

The app coming out and being complete garbage is hilarious to me because so many of us knew this would happen. Yet there were still people for weeks on the FFG forums and r/xwing saying "You don't know it's going to be bad, give it a chance! Wait until it actually releases and we'll see how it is then!" I saw a couple positive ratings for the app on iOS, so those people are probably going to double down because who is going to ever admit they were wrong about something? But seriously: text formatting errors, bugs, the apps didn't go live for mobile until late at night, the iOS app isn't a universal app and was designed with mobile in mind, it requires a persistent internet connection... Such a shitshow. But like I said, most of us saw that coming.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be reasonable to come up with Scum lists with just Lando's MF, 2xFang, 2xTIE/mg, StarViper, Slave 1, (maybe 2xHeadhunter) and Rebel and Empire conversion kits and other upgrades? Allowing for that we don't know what 2E versions of some of those come with yet.
Those ships are about the only Scum ships i feel like i care for in the second edition.

I wonder because the more i think about my Scum collection, the less it feels like worth keeping and instead restarting that collection. There are some Scum things i like a lot, but anything else i don't care at all.
Of course, it might be that i should get the Scum conversion kit anyway, it does have bunch of crew and other upgrades that i might otherwise get only by getting ships i don't care for. Probably could sell all the extra dials etc, along with my Scum models i don't really care for nor need.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Would it be reasonable to come up with Scum lists with just Lando's MF, 2xFang, 2xTIE/mg, StarViper, Slave 1, (maybe 2xHeadhunter) and Rebel and Empire conversion kits and other upgrades? Allowing for that we don't know what 2E versions of some of those come with yet.
Those ships are about the only Scum ships i feel like i care for in the second edition.

I wonder because the more i think about my Scum collection, the less it feels like worth keeping and instead restarting that collection. There are some Scum things i like a lot, but anything else i don't care at all.
Of course, it might be that i should get the Scum conversion kit anyway, it does have bunch of crew and other upgrades that i might otherwise get only by getting ships i don't care for. Probably could sell all the extra dials etc, along with my Scum models i don't really care for nor need.
I think the second hand market for pieces of the conversion kit will be pretty healthy. A lot of people have more than the 2 or 3 ships of a particular type provided in the conversion kit and buying a second kit for a handful of components can seem unnecessary.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While i don't need many cards from the Scum conversion kit, i do need the unique ones (for example, you know, Maul and Aphra). Do people buy two Scum kits? I'm doubtful, at least here. Local store ran out of Rebel and Empire kits but had quite few Scum kits left.
I'm not gonna ebay anything, gonna stick to local second hand market only... if there's one.

Of course, even if i were to sell my current Scum models and buy new ones later on, getting a conversion kit just for the unique crews might end up being cost effective, if the alternative is to buy multiple large ships i don't care for.

Either way, i'm probably waiting until we hear about future waves though, like will waves get their own conversion kits or not, etc.

---

Also, in case it is unclear for someone, the new TIE Fighters and TIE Advanced from second edition Core and expansions are colored light blue-grey, ie ESB/ROTJ coloring and not ANH. Which means i may need to get second TIE Advanced in form of 2E expansion. Also another TIE Adv. Prototype, so that i can fly two them at once for whatever reason.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, TIE Aggressor has linked red evade from barrel roll. I'd assume one can use Debris Gambit to do the evade as a white evade, effectively giving the ship two white actions?

If so, Onyx Squadron Scout with Debris Gambit and Ion Cannon for 40 points looks reasonable to me. Since rotating the turret may be difficult though, adding Veteran Turret Gunner might be interesting as it allows double-tapping. Becomes pretty expensive quickly though, so maybe not worth it.

Missiles might be an option if you have something to help with locks (eg Colonel Jendon granting early locks) or coordinating locks or focus for Aggressors.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow I have my first 2.0 Store tournament, and after debating on my head between several lists (Rexler with 2 Ion/PRocket Nu's, Boba-Guri, Boba-Emon, Boba-2 Fangs...) I think I've fallen in love with this one and seems it's the one I'll use: Scarlet Minions.

I've only used it once today (wanted to play a second game, but we had no time due reasons) and the other played terrible, but it felt extremely fun and with some nice trolling potential.

Btw, overall I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. Sure, there are some things that will receive attention (hello Scum Han, hello Barrage Rockets, hello Trajectory Simulator), but for now the update to 2.0 feels like a home run by FFG. So much diversity out there.

It's a funny idea, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better use R5 Astromechs instead. I mean, I understand the "receiving that crit on my fresh shield" and so, but it only should work on the first few combat turns, as with only two shields each the damage cards will quickly appear unless they enemy manage to focus a single ship (something you want to avoid anyways, as that usually translates to a dead ship :P).

No matter the droid, play the list! Although dropping the Torpedoes to add a Z-95 could be interesting too.

So, TIE Aggressor has linked red evade from barrel roll. I'd assume one can use Debris Gambit to do the evade as a white evade, effectively giving the ship two white actions?

Yep. Debris Gambit is a really nice talent, especially now with the limited action economy/worse dice modification. I actually have it as one of the top options for ships like Boba.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went with R2's in the list for thematic reasons.
One could use R5s and use Shield Upgrades instead of Hull Upgrade. Not sure if an improvement. Alternatively just Hull Upgrade and R5s but this leaves points over, though upgrading one X-wing to Garven Dreis might be reasonable and thematic. (Dreis was the Red Leader, no?)
Definitively will try the list but not sure if it is the first thing i'll do. Will play on Sunday. I might pick a small list with me and play after school on Monday on a local gaming store, but not sure what.

Not a fan of trading torps for a single Headhunter. Blocking isn't my strong point, and torps allow for increased burst damage.
Need to figure out a list to use Headhunters though. Perhaps a scummy-Rebel list with Saw's X-wing and U-wing. The Scum Headhunter colors match nicely to Saw's rebels.

This is another thing i've come up with, again a theme list rather than anything serious.
https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!37:112,61,-1,-1,140:-1:-1:;1:136,-1,-1,142:-1:-1:;1:136,-1,-1,142:-1:-1:;49:70,37,107,106,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=
Cheapish coordinator U-wing with two strike X-wings, and a random ass scout whose report the Blue Squadron is investigating. Figure Informant might be useful for placing mines and selecting rotation direction for the U-wing.
EDIT I was thinking of going with a B-wing originally for full Blue Squadron but i figured i'd mix it up a bit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ow my fingers. Been putting dials together and sorting cardboard for some 1.5 hours now. And i've yet to sort out the upgrades from the Core Set, Saw's Renegades, TIE Reaper, and Rebel and Empire kits. And i noticed i need perhaps three packs more card sleeves, ie 300 sleeves...