• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Another newbie question: so the Conversion Kits cover the big three factions, but they don't cover the new splinted First Order and Resistance factions, right? From what I can see there's not that many of those?

Just thinking about which factions I want to focus on first. I guess they'll reveal more FO & Resistance stuff as they go forward.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Another newbie question: so the Conversion Kits cover the big three factions, but they don't cover the new splinted First Order and Resistance factions, right? From what I can see there's not that many of those?

Just thinking about which factions I want to focus on first. I guess they'll reveal more FO & Resistance stuff as they go forward.

Correct. The first wave in September will be comprised of the new 2.0 starter set, a handful of re-released ships for the Imperial, Rebel, and Scum factions, and three corresponding conversion kits.

The conversion kits don't include any miniatures, they just provide cards, tokens, and medium bases necessary for converting multiple of every ship from that faction into the new rules.

Resistance and First Order factions will release as part of Wave 2, and their conversion kits will be smaller and less expensive since there are less ships released for them.

Resistance has T-70 X-Wing, YT-1300, B/SF-17 Bomber
First Order has TIE/fo, TIE/sf, TIE Silencer, Upsilon-class Shuttle

Edit - Am I the only one hoping for a new, future trilogy Scum faction? The quadjumper would clearly belong there, and the mercenary groups that boarded Han's freighter in TFA would go there, and maybe the luxury ship stolen from Canto Bight... but we just haven't seen enough ships yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough ships and stuff to make another Scum faction. Another dirty tricks faction? What's the special catch?

As it is, the Rebels are a balanced faction, with strong ships but also quite a bit of options (eg Headhunter and A-wing swarms, perhaps). The Empire is a horde faction, with focus on numbers though they also field superb pilots. The Resistance is a powerhouse, focusing on powerful pilots and ships at the expense of numbers (at least IIRC that is the intent for the 2ed Resistance). The First Order is a bit vague at the moment, though i understood it will have fewer but better ships than the Empire, so it probably goes for some kind of mix of the others. The Scum is large ships and unconventional tactics (dirty tricks, highly moddable ships, etc.).
I can't really see how to separate another Scum faction here, not as they're already mashed up. If there were Hutts and Zahn Cartel or something like that, it'd work but too late for that effectively unless you duplicate a lot of things.

For contrast, the Separatists could be pretty easy: focus on droids, with few living beings leading them. The Republic's clone armies imply numbers, lead by the Jedi. Oddly enough, both the Confederation and the Republic are kinda similar. Unfortunately both have significant overlap with existing factions easily, but at least they got a lot of ships. Scum doesn't really.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not enough ships and stuff to make another Scum faction. Another dirty tricks faction? What's the special catch?
I don't want a catch, I just want the time periods to be correct. They're separating Rebel and Imperial with Resistance and First Order to make them chronologically appropriate; I think scum deserves the same.

They're lacking the necessary content now, but I hope the upcoming Filoni cartoon fills all of it in, while also expanding upon the resistance and First Order.

Once they've created the characters necessary, they can craft a thematic design to apply to each ship and pilot.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, but the Resistance and First Order use modernized equipment. Scum uses outdated, modified civilian, or otherwise exotic equipment for most part. They are always chronologically appropriate, so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, the Quadjumper is actually pretty old (yeah it has tech slot in 1ed of X-wing but for all we know it could be modified), rather than being a newer model of ship.
New characters and more ships, why not, indeed those would be welcome. But there is little point in making a separate faction that is functionally identical. Perhaps a second Scum faction could be created that is functionally somewhat different, but i don't think it is worth it. The Resistance and First Order differ from their predecessors enough to make them play just a bit differently, and with additional design they may be just enough to really work as separate factions rather than as sub-factions. (Personally i never mix them, just feels wrong.)

The sequels have poor offerings for the Scum at the moment, and it'd be even worse for a new faction. Han's freighter was pretty big, big enough it doesn't even work in Epic, as it is 400 meters long (the Corvette is 150m long for comparison). TFA does feature a ship seen in the prequels as well, it would actually suit the Scum in Epic though it would be somewhat similar to the C-ROC in function (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CSS-1_Corellian_Star_Shuttle).
DJ's ship from TLJ (the Libertine) is pretty long at 50 meters, but the YV-666 is even longer so the Libertine could be introduced as yet another large-base ship for the Scum. It is unique though, but on the other hand it is old enough to be around during the prequels (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Libertine). Could be an interesting ship with multiple titles and unique-only pilots.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks on FFG forum noted that the unique R5 droid is basically upgraded version of a generic R5, apparently that was seen somewhere.

Linked actions are pretty big deal as they free ships that previously relied on PTL from it. More options. And i reckon they've pruned a lot of stuff and replaced things with fewer but actually meaningful options.
Like, currently so many EPTs aren't really worth the consideration. For 3 pointers, PTL and Predator are perhaps the best ones, while of one-shot cards, the Crackshot is basically the best one.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really in love with everything I've seen with 2.0. The only hiccup I've seen is the Luke Gunner card that seems to undo the intent of the changes for turrets and arc dodging. I hope they just improperly translated the Polish version, but if that's what it is, then I guess it'll be priced high and intended for newbies.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised it the Luke Gunner price is at least 20 points (ie 10% of squad total, quite a lot of a single card). For i5 pilot. Slap it on i6, and perhaps it becomes 25-30 points. Anyone willing to spend 15% of their points for a single upgrade card?

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
There's no doubt Luke will be expensive as fuck (as it should be), but my problem with that card is its existance. I mean, the Second edition seems to address all the main issues the first edition had, from 360 to insane action economy, regeneration, secondary weapons, token stacking and more. And suddenly this card appears to bring back (even on a premium price) one of that? Somebody dropped the ball there.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There's no doubt Luke will be expensive as fuck (as it should be), but my problem with that card is its existance. I mean, the Second edition seems to address all the main issues the first edition had, from 360 to insane action economy, regeneration, secondary weapons, token stacking and more. And suddenly this card appears to bring back (even on a premium price) one of that? Somebody dropped the ball there.
Has it been confirmed that the Polish translation is correct? I read that their cards are often localized poorly, and when translated to English, you're left with a different meaning.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
No idea, but I haven't seen anyone claiming otherwise :P

If they don't spoil the card in any article, I guess we'll know for sure by the Gencon, as everything will be sold there.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke is evidently built as a thematic card, based on the Death Star escape scene. There is a moment when he swings the turret around and fires immediately, destroying a TIE fighter. I very much doubt they wouldn't be aware of the gameplay implications, probably thinking they can solve it with the cost alone. I can't see them changing it.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be fine, 1st Edition Luke is a gunner with a free mod on the 2nd shot, it's powerful but also 7 points so no one takes it. This luke is gonna be the same, power, but expensive.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
If there's anyone here from Europe (well, or not from Europe :P) without many problems using things on French, there's an insane promotion at FFG France with the upgrade kits at 50% until August 31st, and some cool First Edition packs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.fr/news/article/star_wars_x_wing_superstar

http://www.fantasyflightgames.fr/jeux/collection/star_wars_x-wing_20

EDIT: according to certain guy, is a gigantic fuck up by FFG France, and God knows what will they do on honouring orders (or not) to those who have already bought them (and still can buy them). We'll see.

Last edited:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Oh neat, Iden Versio gets a TIE Fighter card.

I wonder if we're going to get a Scum and Villainy Falcon due to Solo.

Tensketch

Oct 28, 2017
They're doing the right thing by waiting til after the movie releases. As over the last few years, the pressure to get ships out in time for the film has resulted in inconsistencies due to the developers not getting access to information and having to improvise.
For example, pilots with names like 'Red Ace' or 'Omega Leader' because they weren't allowed to know any character names. Or the striker having no bomb slot.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Horton and Dutch are looking NICE! I've barely scratched the surface, and I'm loving what I'm seeing.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday we had with may be the last* tournament on my club before Second Edition (3-0 with a TIE swarm, good enough for a second place), but we already gave away 2.0 alt cards.

4YoaLWk.jpg

Quite happy with the result (had to create things like the force icon), although I'll need to tweak a bit that text size.

*Summer + everybody with the Second Edition on their minds isn't an ideal situation for more tournaments. I may try to organize some Mario Kart or Dogfight days instead,

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yesterday we had with may be the last* tournament on my club before Second Edition (3-0 with a TIE swarm, good enough for a second place), but we already gave away 2.0 alt cards.

4YoaLWk.jpg

Quite happy with the result (had to create things like the force icon), although I'll need to tweak a bit that text size.

*Summer + everybody with the Second Edition on their minds isn't an ideal situation for more tournaments. I may try to organize some Mario Kart or Dogfight days instead,
Whoa, you created those? They look fantastic!

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
A question for those with very large collections, or those who use binders for cards -- any recommendations? I use a Plano 1374 for my ships, and I can easily fit all of the non-epic 1.0 ships in 3 of the 4 containers that come with it, with some of the larger ships being housed under the lid. For my 4th container, I put all of the Rebel and Imperial ship bases and dials, along with some plastic bases and pegs. At the moment I've got my cards in Zipfolio Xenoskin binders; one for pilots and another for upgrades. They are completely full. The good thing about those binders is that they are well-made and look great. But you cannot add pages to them, which is a pretty huge drawback with an ever-growing collection.

I'm looking to move all of my cards, and possibly even my dials and ship bases into a large binder. Has anyone done this, or seen it done in your gaming circles? I'd love some recommendations or advice. How about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUGOQE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A22378Z03K0GID&psc=1

Anyone know what kind of pages I'd need to buy that would house the dials and bases, both small and medium? I'm guessing some kind of coin collecting pages would work best, but I'd rather not buy the wrong size. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A question for those with very large collections, or those who use binders for cards -- any recommendations? I use a Plano 1374 for my ships, and I can easily fit all of the non-epic 1.0 ships in 3 of the 4 containers that come with it, with some of the larger ships being housed under the lid. For my 4th container, I put all of the Rebel and Imperial ship bases and dials, along with some plastic bases and pegs. At the moment I've got my cards in Zipfolio Xenoskin binders; one for pilots and another for upgrades. They are completely full. The good thing about those binders is that they are well-made and look great. But you cannot add pages to them, which is a pretty huge drawback with an ever-growing collection.

I'm looking to move all of my cards, and possibly even my dials and ship bases into a large binder. Has anyone done this, or seen it done in your gaming circles? I'd love some recommendations or advice. How about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUGOQE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A22378Z03K0GID&psc=1

Anyone know what kind of pages I'd need to buy that would house the dials and bases, both small and medium? I'm guessing some kind of coin collecting pages would work best, but I'd rather not buy the wrong size. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://m.imgur.com/a/qyVHD
Feel free to look at my album. I have a decent collection, and I've actually gone the route of putting everything in binders: cards, dials, and ship tokens.

Having done it, the only recommendation I would give is to only organize the dials within a binder. The cards become far too great of a hassle to organize once your collection grows. Every addition requires far too much effort to insert new content between your current collection. Ship bases, while they look nice inside a binder, are a hassle to take out of a page when it's time to play. Put the cards in a cardboard card box and separate the ships and factions with paper dividers. I've been toying with putting the ship tokens with the cards within their respective dividers, and I'll probably do that when 2.0 launches.

If you do want to go the route of all sleeves, or even if you just want to sleeve the dials like me that binder won't work. The dial pages are too wide to fit within that binder, which was a major disappointment to me. They will end up extending about a third of an inch outside of the zipper when you try to close it, rendering it unviable. I had to end up going with a Five Star brand messenger bag to fit them.

Considering 2.0 is coming out with a medium class ships, I I would even more strongly dissuade you from going the route of binders for ship tiles. However, if you would like to go this route, the correct size binder sheets for the small ship tokens would be 1.5" x 1.5" slotted coin pages, and large ships fit within 3.5" x 3.5" slotted photo pages. The dials belong best within 2" x 2" storage pages with flaps (pictured in the album).

I think I'm going to abandon the binders in 2.0 entirely and just combine ship tokens and dials with the cards, with a single column cardboard card box per faction.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
https://m.imgur.com/a/qyVHD
Feel free to look at my album. I have a decent collection, and I've actually gone the route of putting everything in binders: cards, dials, and ship tokens.

Having done it, the only recommendation I would give is to only organize the dials within a binder. The cards become far too great of a hassle to organize once your collection grows. Every addition requires far too much effort to insert new content between your current collection. Ship bases, while they look nice inside a binder, are a hassle to take out of a page when it's time to play. Put the cards in a cardboard card box and separate the ships and factions with paper dividers. I've been toying with putting the ship tokens with the cards within their respective dividers, and I'll probably do that when 2.0 launches.

If you do want to go the route of all sleeves, or even if you just want to sleeve the dials like me that binder won't work. The dial pages are too wide to fit within that binder, which was a major disappointment to me. They will end up extending about a third of an inch outside of the zipper when you try to close it, rendering it unviable. I had to end up going with a Five Star brand messenger bag to fit them.

Considering 2.0 is coming out with a medium class ships, I I would even more strongly dissuade you from going the route of binders for ship tiles. However, if you would like to go this route, the correct size binder sheets for the small ship tokens would be 1.5" x 1.5" slotted coin pages, and large ships fit within 3.5" x 3.5" slotted photo pages. The dials belong best within 2" x 2" storage pages with flaps (pictured in the album).

I think I'm going to abandon the binders in 2.0 entirely and just combine ship tokens and dials with the cards, with a single column cardboard card box per faction.

Wow, that is quite a beautiful collection! Thanks for sharing.

To be honest, and maybe this applies to a bunch of people here, but I love considering storage/display solutions almost as much as I love playing the game. I'm very happy with my Plano for ship storage, but it's clear that I'm going to need to come up with another solution for everything else, especially once 2.0 drops. One of my issues is that I live in Japan, where space is extremely limited. That's why I'd like to keep things as a sort of one-stop-shop for as much as I can. A giant binder would be better than several boxes, but I think you're right that if I put everything in binders there won't be enough room.

But with 2.0 there won't be anymore mini-sized cards, correct? They're all US standard? If that's the case then I could probably just keep all of my 1.0 cards in the Xenoskin binders, and just get a single new binder for the 2.0 cards.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I hope someone puts up files for 2.0 upgrade cards that are either shrunk down to the American mini size (without the huge black side with the icon) or recreates them using the style and formatting of 1.0 upgrade cards. I'm tempted to take a paper cutter and lop the icon half of the cards off anyway, though that'll make them a weird size that won't fit in my card sleeves or binder pages. I hate the "It's the new 2.0" We've got to change stuff just to change it, so that way it's new" vibe that the full-size upgrade cards give me.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nice! The Imperial kit with so many Decimator ships just kills me, though. I imagine it's been finalized months ago, but no one needs so many!

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that there are several ships (A-wing, Z-95, U-wing, YT-1300, VCX) that supports one less generic pilot than dials, but in truth there are pilots *we know* are on the kits that aren't listed, like Norra on the Y-wing. So yeah, it's not actually complete.

EDIT: The reference card on the right side.
y.png

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Noticed some talk about Wave 14 street date being 21st this month. EDIT That's US date, visible in FFG site.

Also, saw a comment about how there should be 7 expansions in 2ed wave 1. Could be a typo but i wonder...

EDIT2 looks like the "7 expansions" comes from the newest X-wing article https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/5/extreme-action/
I believe FFG considers the Conversion Kits as expansions this wave, so that means two will be reserved for Resistance and First Order, with five ships being released alongside them. It would make sense for there to be a T-70 and Resistance Bomber, a TIE/fo and Silencer, and then another Galactic Civil War ship.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Core set
6 ships (x-wing, y-wing, TIE fighter, TIE advanced, Fang fighter, Slave 1)
3 conversion sets
1 dice pack
If all are considered as expansions, that would be 10. but it talks about 7

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, it has finally happened: I ran out of space on my shelfs for one faction:

oAn0p6Y.jpg

These days I've bought/traded several ships I didn't have as preparation for the 2.0, and all those Scum large ships have taken their toll :(, time to buy extra shelves. The Empire still have some space, but that will change quickly (hello Core Set).

Still need a second IG, but I can't find another at the 50% discount I've bought the rest of ships.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this one isn't a hybrid set, but then again, that is probably a marketing decision to get people to move to second edition.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nice! I'm pretty excited to get another Rigged Cargo Chute token without having to buy another Lancer-Class Pursuit Craft.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! I'm pretty excited to get another Rigged Cargo Chute token without having to buy another Lancer-Class Pursuit Craft.
Pretty sure some of the conversion sets are gonna include those. At least, i'd imagine they do, since it is 1ed card.

EDIT Oh, wait, another, yeah sure.
I'm just happy to get one, the Lancer doesn't interest me at all.

(Kinda wish i had never even started a Scum collection as i don't play much with them but i needed the goddamn autothrusters.)

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure some of the conversion sets are gonna include those. At least, i'd imagine they do, since it is 1ed card.

EDIT Oh, wait, another, yeah sure.
I'm just happy to get one, the Lancer doesn't interest me at all.

(Kinda wish i had never even started a Scum collection as i don't play much with them but i needed the goddamn autothrusters.)
Yeah, that auto-thrusters expansion AKA Starviper was pretty dastardly. That said, the Guns for Hire expansion made the Khiraxz and Starviper SOOOO fun to play. The Scum faction small ships are actually some of my favorites.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Scum has some fun ships and i like their dirty tricks but there aren't many i actually like.
The Starviper's fun thanks to its weird barrel rolls, and the Kihraxz multiple mod slots make it really interesting though unfortunately it has boring pilots and making good use of all the mods is difficult.
The Firespray's fun with right build and pilot but it is expensive, tricky to fit. Have habit of overdoing upgrades.
Y-wings and Headhunters and the HWK-290 are just variations from their Rebel counterparts, like them all but i don't really think of them as Scum ships.
The Scyk is something i want to like but it doesn't feel distinct enough. Also really hard to use effectively, i keep wondering if i need pilots from C-ROC.
The Kimogila i've never gotten to work. Can't figure out use for it. Mostly bought it for the upgrades.
The Scurrg i bought for its upgrades mostly. Interesting ship as it can do so many things, but that is also a flaw because it doesn't feel special.
Finally, i got the Jumpmaster, mostly for the upgrades (Rage is hilariously good with Wullffwarro in Auzituck). My brother likes it, i've yet to fly it myself.
Really, if not for the cards from the last four (like Mangler cannon, illicits, minefield Mapper, Rage), i'd probably would've sticking with the other Scum ships.

Just wish they had ships from X-wing Alliance, it has such great selection of ships used by Star Wars scum and civilians and other factions. New expanded universe hasn't really added anything interesting for the Scum yet, the Scum Falcon aside. How about the Sith Infiltrator? Maul's part of Scum after all...

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WBD6vYa6cXMFsQNdbfSK1kjQdscdsQ_aLfMTbGqRsfY/
Looking at known missile and torpedo cards.
Looks like missiles tend to be less powerful but offer greater utility or tricks, while torpedoes tend are mostly just about raw damage.

Concussion Missiles seem to have Assaults Missiles merged into them, in a way. Useful when there are damage cards on table already.
Cluster Missiles allow multiple target attack (apparently bonus attacks are limited to one per round).
Proton Rockets offer massive firepower but require bullseye arc.
Ion Missiles and Ion Torpedoes don't differ much, the latter being more powerful with less charges.
Homing Missiles force the target to choose between auto-damage or trying to doge high-dice attack.

Wonder how these will be costed, especially torpedoes. I really hope loading X-wings with torpedoes is viable, it is so damn iconic after all.

EDIT Oh, and the Heavy Laser Cannon requiring bullseye and the crit thing happening after "modify attack dice" step seems like a steep nerf. The cannon's probably cheaper now though?

SpankmasterC

Oct 29, 2017
These last few days I've been having some serious doubts whether I want to upgrade to v2. I don't really fly competitively, don't really hang out at my flgs, just play with my friends... I love the new mechanics and the rebalancing, but is it worth the €150 and counting just to upgrade? It might get me to play in more tournaments, but... I'm not really sure I'm willing to pay so much money...

How do you guys feel? All set for upgrading all your fleets?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
These last few days I've been having some serious doubts whether I want to upgrade to v2. I don't really fly competitively, don't really hang out at my flgs, just play with my friends... I love the new mechanics and the rebalancing, but is it worth the €150 and counting just to upgrade? It might get me to play in more tournaments, but... I'm not really sure I'm willing to pay so much money...

How do you guys feel? All set for upgrading all your fleets?
No doubts in my mind at all, but I've been wishing for a 2.0 version since Jumpmasters released. My FLGS also does 25% off all miniatures games.

You can always just buy one faction at a time and split the costs.

OP
OP
Kharnete

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I never had any doubt once I learned how the second edition would be even before the announcement (during the Italy Open we learned some *major* leaks that eventualy became true). Yeah, is a lot of money if you play more than one faction, but if you consider it a new big wave is more assumable on my mind. You can also start saving now so it doesn't affect that much your "miniature drugs" monthly budget.

I've decided to sell my Empire/First Order* ships tho. Not because the price entry to the Second Edition (those 50€ minus FLGS discount plus whatever the FO kit will cost), but because I know I won't be able to play all three (well, five) factions as much as I would want to, and it would feel a waste for me. It has been a painful decision, and even more painful to chose which faction to drop out between Empire and Rebels. Scum was safe because Firesprays.

*I'll keep all my three Gunboats and I will try to swap their kit content to fly pure lists. Maybe even buying an Interceptor or another fun ship to join them.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really looking forward to 2.0, all the changes seem like smart moves to keep the game fresh and as an Imperial player I really appreachate the removal of a lot of the unblockable damage and turrets nerf. Although I only collect one faction primarily (I guess 2 now since I got some First Order dudes) so upgrading is a little cheaper for me.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My brother attacks my ship. I have two health left. One critical hit.... no, it wasn't a direct hit, but rather a major explosion, i roll, get hit, boom.
Terrible luck anyhow... plus i spent way too many points in upgrades over more ships.