• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I do love the pic that di.se has of the raid:
bigOriginal.jpg

Makes things seem less dramatic, but uh yeah. This seems like a real clear cut insider trading case, which isn't all that surprising considering who was running the company.

edit: Oh, allegedly they delayed information about profit warnings and change of CEO on November 15th, same day that the CEO + other dude sold their stocks. Could you at least try and be competent with either running a game studio or committing crimes? I'm not asking for much here, just show some basic competency in one area of your professional life.

That's just old people otw to Dreamhack.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is so sad.

Starbreeze made some excellent games over the years. I guess they sort of shifted into a publishing role over the past few years? And now this...
Most if not all of the original creative minds that are responsible for their celebrated titles left after Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena in 2009, to form MachineGames and other companies.

Starbreeze today is seemingly a completely different entity all together.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
This is the official statement from Starbreeze (my translation, so inaccuracies may occur but it should accurate enough)

"The Swedish Economic Crime Authority have conducted a raid at Starbreeze AB this wednesday morning. The Company has been informed that this occured due to suspicion of insider trading/crime. The company as such is not a subject of any suspicion.

The company is cooperating with the Swedish Economic Crime Authority. The incident does not affect the company or the ongoing reconstruction.

Starbreeze does not have any further information in the matter"

Original statement in Swedish (via their official site)
Ekobrottsmyndigheten har på onsdagsmorgonen genomfört en husrannsakan hos Starbreeze AB. Bolaget har informerats om att detta skett med anledning av misstanke om grovt insiderbrott. Bolaget som sådant är inte föremål för någon misstanke.

Bolaget samarbetar med Ekobrottsmyndigheten. Händelsen påverkar inte bolaget eller den pågående företagsrekonstruktionen.

Starbreeze har ingen ytterligare information i ärendet.

Deques

Oct 26, 2017
You could say this was their "Safe house raid", and they lost
Either way, it's sad news for the company

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
riddick...the darkness...even syndicate...starbreeze were at one time one of my fave devs. a shame they are going out like this. on the plus side, isnt it true that a big portion of their staff became machine games? THQ and bethesda should team up to make a new the darkness

raldoh

Mar 3, 2018
Skamligt om sant...

Big fan of Starbreeze's older works, seeing Riddick running on the OG Xbox floored me at the time. Their FPS designs always tried to push immersion as much as possible, to varying success in their later titles, something that is still quite rare with the exception of Machine Games (for obvious reasons).

Hopefully all the employees will turn out ok, good thing Stockholm game dev scene seems to be quite vibrant for the time being.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they have layoffs recently?

My brother in law had interviews with them earlier this year. Didn't get hired and now I'm glad for him lol

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Research for Payday 3.

Ouch but funny

I do love the pic that di.se has of the raid:
bigOriginal.jpg

Makes things seem less dramatic, but uh yeah. This seems like a real clear cut insider trading case, which isn't all that surprising considering who was running the company.

edit: Oh, allegedly they delayed information about profit warnings and change of CEO on November 15th, same day that the CEO + other dude sold their stocks. Could you at least try and be competent with either running a game studio or committing crimes? I'm not asking for much here, just show some basic competency in one area of your professional life.

Rep. Chris collins: "watch me do day and date insider trading"

Starbreeze bod: "hokd my beer"

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the Dead by Daylight devs managed to save themselves from this nonsense.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Update; Another Starbreeze boss is hunted by the Swedish Economic Crime Authority after the raid (in Swedish, paywalled)
To no one's surprise DI is citing sources that say both the former CEO and the CFO are now under suspicion for insider trading, still just the one person being arrested. There is also mention of several sweeps taken by the Swedish Economic Crime Authority.

also, for fun; Swedish business site Veckans Affärer posted an article yesterday about how Nordea (the biggest bank in Sweden) did an analysis on how the future of the stock is looking. The stock was at the time of the article valued at 60 öre (which is about ~$0,067) and he potential future value ranges from 3 kronor (~$0,33) on the high end with a successful reconstruction to 0 kronor (which is about.... checks notes... $0) and mentions of assets being sold in a "fire sale".

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Update; Another Starbreeze boss is hunted by the Swedish Economic Crime Authority after the raid (in Swedish, paywalled)
To no one's surprise DI is citing sources that say both the former CEO and the CFO are now under suspicion for insider trading, still just the one person being arrested. There is also mention of several sweeps taken by the Swedish Economic Crime Authority.

also, for fun; Swedish business site Veckans Affärer posted an article yesterday about how Nordea (the biggest bank in Sweden) did an analysis on how the future of the stock is looking. The stock was at the time of the article valued at 60 öre (which is about ~$0,067) and he potential future value ranges from 3 kronor (~$0,33) on the high end with a successful reconstruction to 0 kronor (which is about.... checks notes... $0) and mentions of assets being sold in a "fire sale".

Woof. Thanks for following up further.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It is always crazy when the CEO dips that quick.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Is this related to Bo resigning? This is wild, it's also sad to see if this is the end of Starbreeze that Payday will go under due to the upper Management's incompetence.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight this makes the way they use to talk to customers much more interesting

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bo Andersson, the recently-resigned CEO, is already overseas after resigning two days ago. Not shady at all. https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/a3dy8d/comment_from_bo_andersson_former_ceo_of/

Christ, I've waited over a decade for that game. This can't be what kills it...

Double Fine has bounced back from losing a publisher mid-development twice now. They'll be fine, especially considering the game in question has already secured most of its funding and is partially done.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This is random news. Some serious allegations too. This company can never seem to get "right".

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Bo Andersson, the recently-resigned CEO, is already overseas after resigning two days ago. Not shady at all. https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/a3dy8d/comment_from_bo_andersson_former_ceo_of/
Oh.
Well I guess that settles who is arrested and who is being "hunted". That entire article is hilarious in just how shady he sounds.
i really want to know what Finansmarknadskammaren is
The Prosecution Office for Market Abuse, or if you prefer your translations to be literal "the finance market chamber".

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
A year from now:

"New from the creators of Payday and Payday 2! Prepare yourself for... The GETAWAY!"

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Sad news :(
I'll never forget after Octamed I perfected my composing and sequencing with Fasttracker II back when they were called Triton. I'll be always thankful for that.
Love trackers, seems like you have a very similar path to me into music production. A few artists are still using Fast Tracker II, really impressive after all these years.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Not so breezy now are ya?

Wait...shit. They were publishing Psychonauts 2. Not so funny now. :(