• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There doesn't seem to be much information as of yet but Starbreeze's offices has apparently been raided in light of a 'serious insider crime' and one person is detained.

Swedish news SVT

"Google translate" said:
The ECO, EBM, has conducted a raid against the game development company Starbreeze's headquarters in Stockholm. The reason is suspicions of serious insider crimes, says Dagens Industri.

A person is deprived of liberty, "said EBM's presidential speaker Niklas Ahlgren to the newspaper.

Today's industry has previously written that several executives in Starbreeze sold a larger number of shares in the company shortly before the company gained profits and also replaced the CEO.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Man, this is so sad.

Starbreeze made some excellent games over the years. I guess they sort of shifted into a publishing role over the past few years? And now this...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
"Insider crime" meaning insider trading? Considering they seem to be a rapidly sinking ship, I'm not particularly surprised someone on the inside might have tried to make a few bucks before the rest of the world got to know about their dire situation.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
SplendidEntireAfricanbushviper-size_restricted.gif

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
From the company that brought you Payday, how ironic.

What the fuck is happening there

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
After a quick google search.

But they're the publishers for Psychonauts 2!

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Is Overkill pretty much done as a company then ? I don't see how they could recover from that.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Man, good luck getting outside funding to keep the company going if the allegations of "several executives" selling off their stock right before the administration announcement are true.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Would this be a final blow or is it possible they survive? They were pretty much already on their last legs.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ouch!

"In mid November, outgoing CFO Sebastian Ahlskog sold his entire stake in Starbreeze for a total of SEK 3.3 million. At about the same time, outgoing CEO Bo Andersson Klint sold shares for a total of SEK 18.6 million. The transactions were made at stock prices around SEK 4-6."

The stock currently goes for SEK ~0,80...

($1 ~ SEK 10)

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This story is way too tragic. Let's pour one out for Starbreeze.
The fate of the studio appears to be one of tragedy, yeah.

That said, if execs were gaming their priveledged info for their own personal profits on the stock market then that's still a crime and getting arrested is just part of the deal.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fate of the studio appears to be one of tragedy, yeah.

That said, if execs were gaming their priveledged info for their own personal profits on the stock market then that's still a crime and getting arrested is just part of the deal.
One hundred per cent, and that just adds to the tragedy. That Starbreeze's golden age slipped away over the last ten years, no doubt in the midst of such misbehaviour.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting worried for Dead by Daylight but then I googled and it seems the Devs actually bought the rights to the game earlier this year, neat.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
images

I still remember when the first thing the new CEO did when he took reing was to introduce microtransactions, something that they said previously they would never do. They walked back, but I guess the writing was in the wall.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I do love the pic that di.se has of the raid:
bigOriginal.jpg

Makes things seem less dramatic, but uh yeah. This seems like a real clear cut insider trading case, which isn't all that surprising considering who was running the company.

edit: Oh, allegedly they delayed information about profit warnings and change of CEO on November 15th, same day that the CEO + other dude sold their stocks. Could you at least try and be competent with either running a game studio or committing crimes? I'm not asking for much here, just show some basic competency in one area of your professional life.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, does Double Fine need to look for a new publisher for their new Psychonauts title? What is this, 2004?
I completely forgot about this detail, but at least DF owns all the IP so it's not inmediate trouble for them, but if I were Tim, I would start doing some calls ASAP.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Sad news :(
I'll never forget after Octamed I perfected my composing and sequencing with Fasttracker II back when they were called Triton. I'll be always thankful for that.