• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Starbreeze have published their Q4 2018 and full fiscal year 2018 earnings.

Q4 2018
Revenue: SEK 82.5 million (~$8.9M; down 20.5% from SEK 103.8 million in Q4 2017)
Revenue from Overkill's The Walking Dead: SEK 34.1 million (~$3.7M)
Revenue from Payday: SEK 20.4 million (~$2.2M; flat compared to Q4 2017)

EBITDA: SEK -73.7 million (~$7.9M loss; down from a SEK 6.3 million profit in Q4 2017)

Depreciation, amortisation, and impairments totaled SEK 1,428.6 million (~$153.4M). The company has impaired assets in the amount of SEK 1,401.9 million (~$150.5M).
This number is basically the amount of invested money in projects that are completed or cancelled during the quarter that they expect a return from. In game development, it's common practice to depreciate one-third of total development costs during the release quarter, one-third during the next 9 months, and the last one-third during the 12 months after that.

The loss before tax amounted to SEK 1,264.7 million (~$135.8M; down from a SEK 67.9 million loss in Q4 2017).
Earnings per share were SEK -3.96 (down from SEK -0.22 in Q4 2017; the share price was SEK 1,18 at market close yesterday).

Full year 2018
Revenue: SEK 350.0 million (~$37.6M; down 3.2% from SEK 61.4 million in 2017)
Revenue from Overkill's The Walking Dead: SEK 34.1 million (~$3.7M)
Revenue from Payday: SEK 97.7 million (~$10.5M; down 18.8% from SEK 120.3 million in 2017)

EBITDA: SEK -10.3 million (~$1.1M loss; up from a SEK 53.6 million loss in 2017)

The loss before tax amounted to SEK 1,347.2 million (~$144.7M; down from a SEK 176.2 million loss in 2017)
Earnings per share were SEK -4.20 (down from SEK -0.55 in 2017)

Cash and cash equivalents on 31 December 2018 amounted to SEK 72.4 million (~$7.8M). This is basically what they have in the bank.

---

There will be an extraordinary general meeting on Thursday 7 March 2019.
A distribution deal was made with Universal Games and Digital Platforms for the Starbreeze mobile title PAYDAY: Crime War.
Starbreeze is selling back the publishing rights to System Shock 3 to OtherSide Entertainment.

---

TL;DR
Long story short, Starbreeze made $3.7 million in revenue from Overkill's The Walking Dead sales. In the October-December period, they have completed development of Overkill's The Walking Dead and cancelled projects. They have spent a lot of money on these projects, and on $150.5 million of all invested money on these projects, they had expected a return (which is $0 on cancelled projects and $3.7M on Overkill's The Walking Dead). The rest of the investment on these projects will be depreciated/dealt with in the coming quarters.

As of 31 December 2018, they had access to $7.8 million in cash and cash equivalents: that's basically the combination of the money they have on their bank accounts and the money they have been promised by banks for loans. When this number hits zero, they're basically bankrupt.

---

Year-end report will all info can be found here.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wait they spent $150m and earned $3.7m?
I cant be reading that right.
That's disastrous.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
lol

They've turned $150.5 million into $3.7 million, and they currently have $7.8 million in the bank.
Oof

Bombing a WD title wow... I remember watching a few playthrough of it and it's basically a Left 4 Dead game. The main complaints were that stuff were a bit tedious but I didn't know it did not do well especially with that formula of WD+L4D.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I have never heard of that Walking Dead game. I never saw a single trailer, ad, or even a mention of it. Suffice to say, I'm not surprised it didn't do well.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That $150.5 million number does include money spent on cancelled projects that obviously won't generate any money. It's not like they spent all of that $150.5M on just Overkill's The Walking Dead.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
THQ Nordic is already waiting in the bushes by Starbreezes HQ. Wallet ready for maximum buying power. New IPs for their vault.

thq-money-bagsm8j79.jpg

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a heads up, operating income and EBITDA are not the same; OpIn is typically EBIT.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just as a heads up, operating income and EBITDA are not the same; OpIn is typically EBIT.
Yeah I know, but I wanted to make it more readable for people who usually don't read stock market reports. I couldn't find a better alternative, but specified it's EBITDA instead of EBIT for those common with the terminology. If you have a better alternative, I'll edit the OP.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I'd just call it EBITDA. I suppose that does kinda complicate things for those who don't know what EBITDA is, but for those of the audience who do and how it's diff from Operating Income, it's just...kinda confusing. At least, it was for me.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
So if im reading this right they spent $150m on projects and then cancelled all but one. That's a lot of money down the drain, they should look at smaller projects going forward.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
So if im reading this right they spent $150m on projects and then cancelled all but one. That's a lot of money down the drain, they should look at smaller projects going forward.

They wasted so much money on VR and TWD, PayDay 2 made a lot of money but they wasted everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. So, how long until they go into administration? They have nothing on the horizon which could reverse this massive loss, do they? Aside from selling one of their brands or assets (which at this point is probably the VR stuff or Payday), but even then they still need something in the near or mid-term which is going to start pulling in profit for them.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woof. I don't see them surviving much longer. Maybe a Payday 3 could save them but it doesn't seem they have the money to even develop that.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
They're possibly losing the license to OTWD now. Expected it'll be removed from Steam.

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (February 27, 2019)Skybound, the license holder of OVERKILL's The Waling Dead, has filed a license related complaint with the main digital distribution platform for the Starbreeze game OVERKILL's The Walking Dead. As a consequence, the product is expected to be removed from new purchases on Steam within a near future. Starbreeze and Skybound are in discussions about the agreement and Starbreeze is trying to resolve the issue to find an amicable solution with the ambition to finish and deliver season 2 of the game, as previously communicated.

"We are deeply sorry for the issues this may cause anyone who has bought the game looking forward to the resolution of Season 2 and are working urgently to attempt to resolve the issue. Please keep an eye on the official OTWD channels for further news," said Mikael Nermark, Acting CEO Starbreeze.

https://www.starbreeze.com/2019/02/...team-due-to-disagreement-with-licence-holder/

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, rip starbreeze? I wonder what will happen to Psychaunauts 2...

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I think Walking Dead has lost most of its brand value. The TV show has had declining viewership for years and the Telltale games peaked with the first season.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Overkill got lucky with Payday 2. All their other games were terrible, this should have been seen miles away.