• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
https://gamingbolt.com/starbreeze-raises-30-million-to-speed-up-payday-3-development

Starbreeze Studios has apparently managed to raise a whopping $30 million by selling shares for the company; this money will go towards speeding up the development of Payday 3, the sequel to their perennially popular co-op heist game.

Some of the $30 million will apparently also be going towards marketing Overkill's The Walking Dead, the action game based on the popular multimedia zombie franchise that is set to launch for PS4, Xbox One, and PC in Fall 2018.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
It had a 31,465 peak concurrent player count on Steam today, and had approximately 846,451 unique players on Steam within the last two weeks.

It's not PUBG, but it's still pretty healthy.

Those are some great numbers! I have no idea whether or not to get this game for Switch, though. No way to tell how future support is gonna go.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Those are some great numbers! I have no idea whether or not to get this game for Switch, though. No way to tell how future support is gonna go.

Ehhhhh console support for this game is pretty bad, iirc. PC is certainly the preferred platform.

Odd that they're that strapped for funds. Hoping that TWD game alleviates some of that concern.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's kind of different. Could be that they expanded too quickly and suddenly found themselves short on cash.

In only like 5 years they bought Overkill, bought the Payday IP, bought an LA studio that started working on a presumably cancelled Toys to Life game, began developing a VR headset, and began signing on to publish a ton of indie games. That's a lot of business venture with only one, maybe two, hits in that time frame (Payday 2 and Dead by Daylight).

But Payday 3 and Walking Dead will undoubtedly bring in a ton of money so I'm not worried about them.

cyress8

Avenger
Need to put all that money into creating decent stealth mechanics. So fucking wonky. Stopped even trying and just go loud on every fucking thing. ( More fun anyway. :P )

I want them look at Hitman and incorporate its mechanics into the heists.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't like the console versions of Payday but I don't think they're serviceable.

Even if it doesn't come out as a dumpster fire, it likely wont get continuing support like the PC version. I'd be surprised if it even gets the upcoming difficulty and skill changes that they're going to be beta testing in the next couple weeks.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is a Zombie game really what you want to invest in now? Isn't that crazy over?
And another MP shooter?
I'd guess the existing base for PD2 is mostly people who already have invested a bunch of money and time into that. And the IP is kind of damaged with how they have handled it, no?

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
My question is how the heck is an action oriented Walking Dead game JUST now about to be released? Reminds me of the World of Warcraft movie.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. Too many fingers in too many pies too quickly without notable success coming back from most of them, and the PD2 revenue stream can't be too healthy almost five years later. Wonder how much they burned on RAID, and more importantly, how they couldn't see what a mess that game was shaping up to be ahead of time.

At least they shouldn't have too much trouble finding staff familiar with UE4 to spend that money on.

Is a Zombie game really what you want to invest in now? Isn't that crazy over?
Their TWD game has been in the works for years now. Been pushed back a couple times.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Really hope PayDay 2 Switch does well for them - a handheld co-op online FPS with grinding and unlocks sounds like a dream.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, RAID: WWII really bombed (as mentioned in the article). And not too surprising, the stock dropped like a rock after this announcement. I hope for their sake the Walking Dead game turns out alright (and is not delayed).

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but that was about 14 years ago and as I understand it most of the creative team left to form Machinegames and were bought out by Bethesda.

Machinegames team did

That is why Riddick was so fantastic.

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Syndicate was also a damn great idea that was just executed semi-badly.

Indeed, I love the Riddick videogame.

Deleted member 1777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Syndicate was also a damn great idea that was just executed semi-badly.

I think I'm one of the few folks who loves the Syndicate fps. I honestly think it's really underrated, plus it's got fantastic weapons and sound design. MachineGames folks should have taken the sound designer with them.

I think I'm one of the few folks who loves the Syndicate fps. I honestly think it's really underrated, plus it's got fantastic weapons and sound design. MachineGames folks should have taken the sound designer with them.
I have it for X360 because it came from Starbreez (Also have The Darkness and the Riddick titles, just because). Syndicate looks Godly, so whenever ill go through my backlog, ill be sure to give it a go. Looks oodles of fun, and reminds me of Mirror's Edge visually (Also a title i have, hah)

Deleted member 1777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have it for X360 because it came from Starbreez (Also have The Darkness and the Riddick titles, just because). Syndicate looks Godly, so whenever ill go through my backlog, ill be sure to give it a go. Looks oodles of fun, and reminds me of Mirror's Edge visually (Also a title i have, hah)

I'll be honest here and say the reason I like it so much is because of how good the guns sound and feel. Storywise ? Not as good as The Darkness/The Riddick, I can definitely say that. Still I found it quite interesting overall. The coop was terrific fun as well but unfortunately I don't think you'll get to play unless you have friends/folks from here willing to play it with you.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I forgot Syndicate was a game.

Fuck me I'm playing through that. I'm on a slow ride to play through every FPS on the 360 and I remember this being good, heh.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Are they really that tight on money? Hopefully The Walking Dead can help them stay afloat.

Is it common to sell shares to fund what should already be covered by your existing finances?

Normal (and relatively boring) way for businesses to raise funds from institutional investors. There's nothing all that exciting about the sale, aside from the mention of Starbreeze working on unannounced products.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Starbreeze really dropped the ball with Walking Dead. Four years ago the game seemed like an instant winner, but now the television show is quickly dying and hype around the property is on a downward turn.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I remember thoroughly enjoying the co-op aspect of it. The campaign was overall a bit disappointing. The game also came at the end of the generation. At that point it felt like only First party titles did well on PS3/360.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I never like to see any game bomb but man, everything about Raid screamed bomb. Not sure what they were thinking banking on it so much especially with it being hardly more than a reskin of Payday.

Hopefully TWD isn't just Payday with zombies and has some meaningful mechanics and traits of its own.