• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-s...-officers-asked-to-leave-starbucks-by-barista

TEMPE, AZ — A group of six Tempe police officers were reportedly asked to leave by a barista at Starbucks recently.

The incident reportedly happened on July 4, at the location off of Scottsdale and McKellips roads.

A statement from the Tempe Officers Association says the officers paid for their drinks and were standing together inside the coffee shop.

A barista then approached the group, and said that they were making a customer "feel uncomfortable."

The officers were allegedly asked to move out of the customer's sight, or to leave.

The officers chose to leave the establishment at that time.

In a statement, the Tempe Officers Association says they know this is not a national Starbucks policy.

"This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening. While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019.

We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue."

In response, the Tempe Police Department said it had been in touch with Starbucks' corporate office about what happened.

There is now #DumpStarbucks trending on social media sites and people asking for a boycott now.

EDIT: I meant customers request, can a MOD correct the title?

Oct 26, 2017
My browser recommended me an article about this today from a site called Town Hall? Never heard of the site, but after they used snowflake in their article for the 10th time, I decided I was glad I found out about that shit site. Now I know to never read anything there.

Also, sorry cops. I don't feel bad for you. Being asked to leave a Starbucks is nothing compared to the terrible shit you've wrought on minorities in this country. Suck it up.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Call me a goddamn cynic but the wording of that public statement from the Tempe PD seems to have some very disingenuous intent...

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It'll be interesting to see the difference in discourse on the internet between the incident with the black dude minding his business and this one. I imagine those justifying the black dude being bothered will be foaming at the mouth over this and wanting Trump to "do something"

Deleted member 5519

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm missing something obvious it was ridiculous they were asked to leave? They purchased coffee and were enjoying their beverage in the shop they purchased it from?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They were asked to leave or leave the line of sight of the customer that was bothered by them.

They chose to leave. They chose to be offended by their action of leaving.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
We don't even know if it's a race issue, I get super uncomfortable when there are cops lingering with their guns holstered to their hips (or anyone with an open carry). I was in an airport rental line recently behind a cop who looked like he was about to go into a war zone. I did not feel at ease.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If police departments were run like they fucking should they would look at the fact that you have a ton of people in this country that don't trust them as a problem that needs to be addressed, not an insult that needs to be punished.
But cops gonna cop.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Customer's request was really weird
Barista complying with said customer's request was double weird

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If the story it's true, then they shouldn't have been asked to leave.

Oct 26, 2017
Normally, I avoid twitter comments. But some of these are cracking me up how hilariously awful they are. I wish I knew how to embed a tweet here...

Unless I'm missing something obvious it was ridiculous they were asked to leave? They purchased coffee and were enjoying their beverage in the shop they purchased it from?
It's ridiculous that they had to leave the store...
They were asked to move from line of sight or leave the store. They opted to leave the store. It's a story that is hard to judge by itself without details that we'll never get. As someone who knows someone else who got the shit kicked out of them by police in the hallway of his own apartment years ago, I can understand why he would feel terrified to be in a Starbucks with that many officers. Now if this were just some white dude in Starbucks....Well, that is an odd one.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If police departments were run like they fucking should they would look at the fact that you have a ton of people in this country that don't trust them as a problem that needs to be addressed, not an insult that needs to be punished.
But cops gonna cop.
Truth. This should be a moment for reflection, about why the mere presence of police makes people uncomfortable.

That said, unless their behavior was harassing to other Starbucks patrons, they probably should not have been asked to leave. As shitty as police are as an institution in this country, they are individually still human beings and should be able to go into a coffee shop and get a coffee. Just because the other customer's discomfort at their presence is understandable doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. But police aren't an oppressed class of people, they are overwhelmingly the oppressors of people and this does not serve as an example of systemic oppression against them; rather, it serves as an example of just how little trust exists between police and the communities they are supposed to serve.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Treat the pubic like an asshole..."

upscale-272872129024211.png

Oct 26, 2017
But cops gonna cop.
I know an officer who recently shared an image online along the lines of, "If I wanted to be liked, I'd have become a fireman." He thought it was hilarious. I thought it was the saddest shit in the world. They simply can't admit there is a problem. They will turtle up, play defensive, and in this case, act like they don't care that the public at large doesn't like them.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Policy officers kill hundreds of black and brown people every year. It's perfectly natural for people to be uncomfortable around them

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
THIS OPPRESSION OF THE POLICE RACE OF PEOPLE MUST STOP! THESE POOR, OPRESSED, ARMED TO THE TEETH VICTIMS! !!!

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
As the cops were leaving, they reportedly turned to the baristas and said, "You girls work on commission, right? Big mistake! Huge!"

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, if they were not doing anything wrong in the store they shouldn't be told to leave. The customer who was bothered by their presence could have left if they bothered them so much by just being there. Unless there's more to this story, it makes no sense.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they were really just standing around and there isn't more to this story, their being asked to leave would be ridiculous. Makes me think some details are being left out.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did the cops do something wrong or did the customer just dislike cops and request they get kicked out? Kicking someone out because of their occupation if they're doing nothing wrong is bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, if they were not doing anything wrong in the store they shouldn't be told to leave. The customer who was bothered by their presence could have left if they bothered them so much by just being there. Unless there's more to this story, it makes no sense.
Did the cops do something wrong or did the customer just dislike cops and request they get kicked out? Kicking someone out because of their occupation if they're doing nothing wrong is bullshit.
I'm going to take this to the extreme a bit, but just to try and make a point. If a murderer steps into Starbucks and isn't actively murdering while drinking his coffee in there, it's still reasonable to be uncomfortable around them and want them gone.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Arizona. The police over there harass Latino citizens assuming they are illegal. The cops were probably eyeing a customer like a piece of meat and made them feel uncomfortable.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

A bit of difference with cop's occupation considering they openly carry guns and are able to legally kill people.

Oct 27, 2017
I think a bit more information about what was making the customer feel uncomfortable would be required to make an assessment of the situation.

My instinctive reaction was that it certainly seems acceptable that that a group of customers acting in an intimidating or threatening manner which makes another customer feel uncomfortable should be asked to leave and their occupation shouldn't have to factor in to that.

On thinking further (partly prompted by pride), I am a bit more divided on the matter as if a gay customer was asked to leave at the request of some other homophobic customer for making them uncomfortable I think it would be totally outrageous and unacceptable. As such, if they were simply just standing there and drinking the coffee (and not engaging in any other threatening behaviour aside from them being police) I think the request probably shouldn't have been made.

I think knowing what they were doing is needed to make an assessment of how acceptable asking them to leave was.
They were asked to leave or leave the line of sight of the customer that was bothered by them.

They chose to leave. They chose to be offended by their action of leaving.
This feels like it's being purposely dense; it's clear they were offended by being asked to make a decision in the first place.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to take this to the extreme a bit, but just to try and make a point. If a murderer steps into Starbucks and isn't murdering while drinking his coffee in there, it's still reasonable to be uncomfortable around them and want them gone.
But the primary function of a murderer is murdering. The primary function of an officer is to police, which is not wrong. There are many police officers who have murdered, but it's not fair to assume that every cop you see is a bloodthirsty racist with his finger on the trigger. (Save your hot take one-liners please)

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm torn on this a little. The situation with extreme police brutality, systemic racism and abuse of force is well documented, we all know that. I don't have any sympathy for bad actors.

But it feels like a bit of a slippery slope too. It appears they were standing there drinking their drinks. I'm Muslim and my wife wears a hijab for example. Would I be obligated to do the same if someone said they were uncomfortable around us?