• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheTyrantShow

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
As protesters took to the streets in hundreds of cities across the United States and the globe to support Black Lives Matter and decry police brutality, Starbucks, like many major American companies, rushed to publicly proclaim its support for the movement and pledged to do more to combat racial injustice.

On June 1, the coffee retailer vowed on Twitter to "stand in solidarity with our Black partners, customers and communities." A few days later, it tweeted, and then pinned, a more in-depth commitment to supporting Black Lives Matter and confronting bias and racism and to "being a part of change."

In fact, the company explicitly stated that Black Lives Matter attire was prohibited from the lists of things employees can wear due to its dress code policy, which also includes any type of political, religious, or personal accessories or clothing. However, as many employees noted to BuzzFeed News, Starbucks not only exempts buttons and attire celebrating LGBTQ rights and marriage equality, but hands them out.

sub-buzz-1462-1591767759-5.png

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtm...s=&utm_term=4ldqpgc&__twitter_impression=true

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's very hypocritical to me, if a Starbucks employee can't wear anything showing their support for Black Lives Matter, how the fuck can Starbucks claim to be "very pro Black Lives Matter"?

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
To be honest it's probably a good policy for all businesses to prevent any kind of social or political messaging on attire of their employees for or against *anything* it's honestly probably just for the best if employees only wear branding related to the company they are currently on duty working for.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Man, fuck Starbucks. Too bad (in a way) I never spend any money there, so me despising them for this won't hurt them in the least.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many enraged people in everyday life, it might be safer for the employees this way. It sucks.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Even under "no political imagery" type stuff, Black Lives Matter should be fine. It's not a political statement, it's a statement of right/intent to exist.

Can you wear a pride flag or rainbow pin or something, or a cancer support ribbon? If you can wear that, how could you not have BLM if you felt so inclined?

Meh, whatever.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't wear anything highlighting BLM, but you can wear pride pins that have existed for years.

Hypocrite fucks.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give a fuck about no stupid ass pins from Starbucks. They have shown their ass before. Plus they coffee sucks.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
In fairness, wouldn't this make it likely many employees and managers are going to be confronted by racists instead of the corporate people?

Not saying they should ban the words but I'd imagine there's a good chance it would cause turmoil for employees in the stores.

And frankly, I don't think Starbucks actually is behind the movement.

Edit: see below

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
that's what is said in my post. not sure what you're trying to add to it.
I wasn't commenting on your words sorry, I thought that tweet you posted was good to highlight. I had posted something just above the one where I quoted you thinking about maybe they don't want employees arguing this and that Starbucks probably doesn't support the cause anyway. But then I saw your post and thought it rendered my previous one moot, and that "actually, I was guessing wrong" is what I meant by the "actually."

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't commenting on your words sorry, I thought that tweet you posted was good to highlight. I had posted something just above the one where I quoted you thinking about maybe they don't want employees arguing this and that Starbucks probably doesn't support the cause anyway. But then I saw your post and thought it rendered my previous one moot, and that "actually, I was guessing wrong" is what I meant by the "actually."

Oh gotcha! Yeah Starbucks are being wack about this. And knowing how the culture inside Starbucks allows for colorful hair, pride, etc, I just don't understand how they could hide behind that line of thinking.

Apologies if my response came off aggressive as well, didn't intend for that, and appreciate the clarification! :D

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They also just asked all hourly employees to either stay employed at severely reduced hours OR go on a 3-month unpaid leave of absence OR quit and take a pretty measly severance package (60 hours of pay plus a lump sum to cover the costs of COBRA insurance). No reduced bonuses or pay for the company executives, of course.

Oct 25, 2017

"Black lives matter. We are committed to being a part of change."

It's already part of their public message, if there was damage to be done it would have been done. I don't see how this makes any sense.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
They also just asked all hourly employees to either stay employed at severely reduced hours OR go on a 3-month unpaid leave of absence OR quit and take a pretty measly severance package (60 hours of pay plus a lump sum to cover the costs of COBRA insurance). No reduced bonuses or pay for the company executives, of course.

Excuse me, don't you mean hourly PARTNERS?

Yes, Starbucks refers to their baristas as partners and it's some weird capitalist doublespeak BS

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest it's probably a good policy for all businesses to prevent any kind of social or political messaging on attire of their employees for or against *anything* it's honestly probably just for the best if employees only wear branding related to the company they are currently on duty working for.
This. It would be stupid for Starbucks to allow employees to wear clothing endorsing any given political movement, especially since its existing dress code already forbids any typography or graphics on clothing.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, its shit.

I work for them currently and while their response to Coronavirus was to give every partner a 3$ raise, that ended at the start of June.

And now this.

I'm not a fan, but theres nothing I can do. Even my store manager doesnt feel the same way, but we cant go against corporate

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Actually this makes this seem hypocritical. One potentially divisive social movement should not be banned if others aren't.
From the dress code, only official Starbucks issue pins can be worn on aprons. So if they put out a BLM pin, that would be allowed, but otherwise not.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
The issue, so they claim, seems to be that the BLM related apparel that doesn't meet the dress code is caused by the issue that it wasn't provided by corporate. The Pride pin posted above is clearly from corporate and contains the company branding. If they really want to show support for BLM while maintaining consistency in their dress code I guess the answer is to provide official BLM pins for employees?

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
In fairness, wouldn't this make it likely many employees and managers are going to be confronted by racists instead of the corporate people?

Not saying they should ban the words but I'd imagine there's a good chance it would cause turmoil for employees in the stores.

And frankly, I don't think Starbucks actually is behind the movement.

Edit: see below

Presumably employees would be aware of that possibility as they opt in on wearing clothing in support of BLM. It wouldn't be mandatory

edit: wouldn't their starbucks approved! LGBTQ pins invite the same risk anyway? Yet those are ok.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of sad that their female, Asian American VP of Inclusion and Diversity isn't big on BLM
Their VP of Inclusion and Diversity is black. She went to a historically black college and got her first job at Essence Magazine. She bills herself as a "real life Olivia Pope."

d-7a8P3n_400x400.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably more about not wanting to give employees free license to wear homemade stuff that might have a more forceful or abrasive message on them.

From a pure food-safety perspective, there's also the danger that people will wear cheap, poorly made pins that don't fasten right and could fall off, ending up in people's drinks.

I will be surprised if they don't have some kind of officially sanctioned pins in the near future though.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Starbucks. Their shit coffee is a blithe on society.

However, fuck them even more for telling their employees not to support a just cause publicly.
Yeah, dial back on dumb takes like this, perhaps.

From the looks of it, Starbucks isn't modifying its existing policy to accommodate BLM promoting dress, not specifically banning BLM messaging in particular. If they do start to allow BLM messaging, it'll probably be through corporate-designed, manufactured, and distributed pins, like they do with Pride.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Yeah, dial back on dumb takes like this, perhaps.

From the looks of it, Starbucks isn't modifying its existing policy to accommodate BLM promoting dress, not specifically banning BLM messaging in particular. If they do start to allow BLM messaging, it'll probably be through corporate-designed, manufactured, and distributed pins, like they do with Pride.
Why would I have to get a sponsored pin if I want my pride flag to be more inclusive than theirs? Why would it matter at MacDonalds or any other job?

PS: Don't value judge posts.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fast Food is pretty strict in the dress code department. When I worked at KFC they even complained about extra pockets on my pants.