• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa I only had Heart of the Swarm
Apparently I also got Legacy of the Void? Thanks Blizzard

I didn't see this offer covered in the promotional materials

EDIT:

The fuck? I restarted the game and now it shows as "Purchase to Play"
I got trolled

Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing on NA, feel free to join the ResetEra group and chat channel (social button near the bottom right -> Find -> search for it) and say hello. Might be a bit quiet for now, but we may as well see how it goes, and I'd be happy to help new players get started. Groups do not overlap with Clans, so you can still join a Clan with your friends; Groups are really just a chat channel and an online status indicator.

I'll be dabbling in co-op all day to level up the new commander, but I may put a beginner's guide together later tonight, if I have time.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing on NA, feel free to join the ResetEra group and chat channel (social button near the bottom right -> Find -> search for it) and say hello. Might be a bit quiet for now, but we may as well see how it goes, and I'd be happy to help new players get started. Groups do not overlap with Clans, so you can still join a Clan with your friends; Groups are really just a chat channel and an online status indicator.

I'll be dabbling in co-op all day to level up the new commander, but I may put a beginner's guide together later tonight, if I have time.

Would appreciate something like this for new comers and to add to the OP. I have some time tomorrow but other than that I'm pretty busy through the weekend. Will be on for some duo's with my friend after work though.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Just joined this. I don't ladder anymore (although I might start again with msc gone), but pop in for some co-op or arcade quite often.
Number of hours to earn the Brutal 25 achivement on WoL = UNDEFINED BECAUSE IT'S BEEN BUGGED SINCE 2010!

*rage*
Hmm? I don't recall having trouble unlocking it. How is it bugging for you?

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Also I'm liking the UI changes. Profiles are nice. The annoying lag when navigating menus seems to be gone for me too, everything is quick.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That really sucks :\ can you see which mission isn't counting if you click the Liberty Completionist: Brutal achievement?

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What's the server situation for ANZ players these days? I vaguely remember there used to be oceanic servers (based in Singapore iirc) which weren't the greatest. Did they add local Aussie servers the same time as they did for WoW and D3?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
New batlechest potraits, nice.

iTAS9h5.png

F8n3A9M.png

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Game is broken right now lol

Crashing and taking forever to find games, boo.

I play 3-4 nights a week. When I stream, it's typically diamond/masters 2's/3's level play.

edit: Was able to get on. But that's the first time I've crashed in SCII in my memory.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game crashed on startup once for me and now everything is clear.

Also I'm liking the UI changes. Profiles are nice. The annoying lag when navigating menus seems to be gone for me too, everything is quick.

Yeah it's all nice and responsive now and I don't have to click between tabs to get them to load fully.

So now I can't buy Legacy of the Void. The only way to do that is to buy the campaign bundle. :/

Don't bundles etc automatically discount when you own elements of them?

PIG has some good basics videos

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard plz, this was my plan too ಠ_ಠ

Doesn't look like it ಠ_ಠ

Hopefully it's just an oversight or something.

That might be a glitch, I just checked and all of my bundles that include it are discounted because I own it and other software. Can you not go to the campaign tab and select Legacy of the Void to get a prompt?

This seems like a weird oversight that HOTS and LOTV campaigns aren't listed individually on the store.

Hambulance

Oct 30, 2017
That might be a glitch, I just checked and all of my bundles that include it are discounted because I own it and other software. Can you not go to the campaign tab and select Legacy of the Void to get a prompt?

This seems like a weird oversight that HOTS and LOTV campaigns aren't listed individually on the store.

You are correct sir.

The campaign screen was doing the taking forever to load thing earlier so I didn't get this far.

yqdAfxD.jpg

Some mention of it in the actual store would be helpful too.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
So I got a free heart of the swarm gift from Blizzard in an email, as someone who hasn't played SCII since release, is it a good story campaign? Not interested in multiplayer at all.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I got a free heart of the swarm gift from Blizzard in an email, as someone who hasn't played SCII since release, is it a good story campaign? Not interested in multiplayer at all.

It's a much better story and campaign than Wings of Liberty.

From a gameplay perspective, Kerrigan is a unit on the field and can be upgraded, along with the swarm, between missions.

I know you said that you don't care about multiplayer, but you might like Co-Op, which isn't PvP, it's 2 player co-operative campaign style missions with voice acting and the whole shebang.

You choose a commander before the starting and based on that choice you have different units, and abilities, that can be leveled up as you play missions. Some commanders are physically on the battlefield with your army, and some are not, giving you a more traditional RTS option.

Co-Op also has an ever changing mutator mode that adds new variables to a mission. A specific mutation is usually up for something like 2 weeks? Before a brand new one takes its place. You can also add your own modifiers to the mission if you want, making your own custom mutations to play on.

Co-Op is constantly being added to and expanded on, btw.

The old Co-Op trailer from when LotV was coming out

Version 3.3 Video covered Mutators
https://youtu.be/tF85EY0SY7s

There's also a very good DLC Campaign featuring Nova and it uses the same up-gradable commander concept as Heart of The Swarm campaign, so Nova can be customized along side your army.
It's 9 Missions long but worth the money in my opinion.

Nova DLC

Gameplay Trailer
https://youtu.be/3Fs5sKBLLbo

Last edited:

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland

I find these tweets really shameful. Blizzard makes Hearthstone, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. 2 of which have lootboxes and and 2 of which aren't just cosmetic. Activision also makes Destiny 2 and Call of Duty, which both have lootboxes in paid games.

And even if we're just looking at Starcraft 2, most players will still have paid for 3 separate games to play what they are playing now and they didn't get anything out of the game going f2p. It saddens me quite a bit to see (on Twitter) people celebrating these tweet

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I find these tweets really shameful. Blizzard makes Hearthstone, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. 2 of which have lootboxes and and 2 of which aren't just cosmetic. Activision also makes Destiny 2 and Call of Duty, which both have lootboxes in paid games.

And even if we're just looking at Starcraft 2, most players will still have paid for 3 separate games to play what they are playing now and they didn't get anything out of the game going f2p. It saddens me quite a bit to see (on Twitter) people celebrating these tweet
What's common about the two Blizzard games that have more than cosmetics in their boxes? They're free. Activision Publishing is a separate part of the holding company that has nothing to do with Blizzard's games. And you're right - they were three separate games; each one featured a lengthy campaign and major multiplayer additions. The people who bought those games got all the campaigns, which people don't get if they're playing free now. They get one bonus campaign and have to pay for the rest. Further the majority of the community is happy because we frankly just like to see the increase in activity. So I don't know why you're trying to come to our defense like we should feel screwed over. Ridiculous post.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
What's common about the two Blizzard games that have more than cosmetics in their boxes? They're free. Activision Publishing is a separate part of the holding company that has nothing to do with Blizzard's games. And you're right - they were three separate games; each one featured a lengthy campaign and major multiplayer additions. The people who bought those games got all the campaigns, which people don't get if they're playing free now. They get one bonus campaign and have to pay for the rest. Further the majority of the community is happy because we frankly just like to see the increase in activity. So I don't know why you're trying to come to our defense like we should feel screwed over. Ridiculous post.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think anyone who bought the games when they came out are now suddenly upset about it going f2p. In fact, most people who still play the game are probably stoked that it finally went that way, precisely because of what Syf says here.

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland

What makes you part of the community and me not? I play Blizzard games and mostly like what they offer and I think this is a shitty way to promote their game. Celebrating Blizzard for being pro-consumer is bad for the industry, because they're really not, they are just good at making you believe they are.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
What makes you part of the community and me not? I play Blizzard games and mostly like what they offer and I think this is a **** way to promote their game. Celebrating Blizzard for being pro-consumer is bad for the industry, because they're really not, they are just good at making you believe they are.

Lol, you are trying way too hard to be contrarian.

Right now ETA is charging $60 for essentially a f2p game.

Blizzard, on the other hand, initially charges roughly $90 are over the course of 6 years for three full size games. They then offer two out of three of those games for free

All these flavors and you choose to be salty.

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Lol, you are trying way too hard to be contrarian.

Right now ETA is charging $60 for essentially a f2p game.

Blizzard, on the other hand, initially charges roughly $90 are over the course of 6 years for three full size games. They then offer two out of three of those games for free

All these flavors and you choose to be salty.

You seem to be using those numbers to suit your narrative.
Roughly 90$? They weren't 30$ games, it was much closer to 120$.
3 full sized games? WoL was a full game, the others were slightly updated multiplayers with a campaign that would basically lock you out of the multiplayer of the previous game if you didn't pay. 1 full game with 2 expansion packs.
Offering 2 of them for free? Seems like one to me. None for paying customers, though.

Yes I'm quite salty that the narrative the internet is taking is "Activision Blizzard, nice. EA, bad" because they really aren't all that different, one is just more subtle about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
You seem to be using those numbers to suit your narrative.
Roughly 90$? They weren't 30$ games, it was much closer to 120$.
3 full sized games? WoL was a full game, the others were slightly updated multiplayers with a campaign that would basically lock you out of the multiplayer of the previous game if you didn't pay. 1 full game with 2 expansion packs.
Offering 2 of them for free? Seems like one to me. None for paying customers, though.

Yes I'm quite salty that the narrative the internet is taking is "Activision Blizzard, nice. EA, bad" because they really aren't all that different, one is just more subtle about it.

e26.jpg

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Nova DLC end up being worth buying? I couldn't finish the LotV campaign because I was a bit tired of the SC2 campaign formula of linear mission, then base building with finding X things across the map whole defending small incursions. Does the Nova DLC actually add anything new?

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the Nova DLC end up being worth buying? I couldn't finish the LotV campaign because I was a bit tired of the SC2 campaign formula of linear mission, then base building with finding X things across the map whole defending small incursions. Does the Nova DLC actually add anything new?

it was OK. nothing special, but if you're a fan of SC2, it's worth picking up imo.

On a side note, this patch sucks. Not the f2p element, I actually like I can experiment with the previously paywalled co-op commanders (btw the new one is OP AF) to see if I like them enough to purchase, but every co op game I load gets stuck at 75% for like 3 minutes. It would normally take 20-30 seconds at most to load the map; I have a very good PC and it wasn't happening before this patch

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing worked out ok for me. I bought WoL on launch, and I picked up LotV at some point only planning to play multiplayer. But now that the gap has been filled in I'm looking forward to continuing the campaign from where I left off.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the MP is completely free? I might give it a shot again. Had no desire to pay for the expansions after WoL

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I was hoping that there would be more single player content. I really enjoyed the Nova covert ops mission packs.

I could have sworn that they talked about creating more mission packs in the future. Did Nova covert ops sell poorly?