• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Yes, finally! I've had my game on hold for months now, can't wait to get back into it.

I will be able to load up my PS4 farm right?

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
So how many people are still playing? I just started it up again recently and got hooked all over again. The new multiplayer stuff doesn't really interest me but I'm hoping there's some cool content added to single player.

I'm mid-summer in the first year and have had some interesting stuff happen.

Always check the trash cans. On previous plays, I would check one now and then, but very rarely and kind of stopped doing it because I never really found anything. This time I've made it a point to check one whenever I'm passing and I've already found tons of bread and other food (which really helped early in the game when energy is so low), a catfish, eel, jade, iron bars, strawberries, geodes, and a few other things.

A meteor hit my farm in the first couple of weeks so as soon as I get a gold pickaxe I'll already have a good start on iridium ore.

The traveling merchant had a rabbit's foot very early in the game so I grabbed that for the community center. Also found an ancient seed fairly early.

One of the more surprising things is that I caught one of the Legendary Fish (Crimsonfish) without really trying for it. I didn't even have the iridium rod/tackle yet, and was just randomly fishing the east pier at the beach when he hooked on and I expected to lose it, but he didn't really put up much of a fight.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
need help with smapi... the API says "not loaded" and doing SHIFT-F2 doesnt bring up the smapi menu ingame. any ideas? it worked, once....

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Played a bit on my way to work this morning on the Vita. Handeld is perfect for a game like this, can see why my Switch owning friends love it. Havn't done a lot as of yet, just fixed the bridge near the fisherman and i'm working my way up to the mines to start work on my Silo and other farming stuffs.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how many people are still playing? I just started it up again recently and got hooked all over again. The new multiplayer stuff doesn't really interest me but I'm hoping there's some cool content added to single player.

I'm not playing but that's only because I plan on rebuying the game once I get a switch. Playing in bed sounds so good.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'm just really gutted that the Vita version isn't cross save. Not only that but it shares trophies with the PS4 version.

I'm 100 hours in on PS4... I wanted to mop up the remaining trophies on Vita but I may as well stick to PS4 now.
And I'd be more inclined to play through again on Vita if it had a separate trophy list.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
I'm just really gutted that the Vita version isn't cross save. Not only that but it shares trophies with the PS4 version.

I'm 100 hours in on PS4... I wanted to mop up the remaining trophies on Vita but I may as well stick to PS4 now.
And I'd be more inclined to play through again on Vita if it had a separate trophy list.

Im not sure how the control scheme will translate to the Vita, but could remote play be an option for you?

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Well, after about 3 hours with the Vita version I had the game crash on me, which is quite annoying as I was more or less at the end of the day and about to go to bed. I hope that they still work on that port, as it really could use some polish. Besides the crash I also had quite a lot of frame drops (which I expected) but also moments when the game froze for half a second or the sound wouldn't play correctly. Anyone else experienced similar problems? I really hope that the crash was only an exception.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So first time diving into this game.

Any need for any sort of guide? Or can I just roll with it and let things happen? Any missable stuff?

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So first time diving into this game.

Any need for any sort of guide? Or can I just roll with it and let things happen? Any missable stuff?

Using a guide kind of ruins the sense of discovery, though I totally understand using one later to find out what the various villagers like / dislike or where in the hell they're at on certain days. Just roll with it, relax, it's not the kind of game you can 'beat' beyond your own sense of satisfaction.

There's only one thing that's miss-able and it's a very minor event in the first year for a specific character. I can give you more details if you like but it's not important in the slightest. The game does "rank" your progress at the end of the second year, but you can trigger the ranking any time you want after the fact to improve your "score" (which is ultimately kind of useless beyond getting a special furniture item as a reward).

Just kick back, make a nice / efficient / pretty farm, do some fishing / mining / foraging, socialize with the villagers and maybe get a husband or wife, enjoy some of the festivals... it's basically a very laid back small-town simulator. Don't fall into the trap of frantically running around trying to do everything at once, there will be time for everything.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Don't fall into the trap of frantically running around trying to do everything at once, there will be time for everything.

This, just go at your own pace and do the things you want to do. I was having trouble getting into it the first few hours, but once it started to click it became a problem (in a good way). It's my most played Switch game to date.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys. Knowing that I'm never going to be "struggling" to accomplish things is refreshing. I both love and hate the newer Harvest Moon games...Tons to do, but its more a game of optimization and efficiency than it is of farming and relaxing.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys. Knowing that I'm never going to be "struggling" to accomplish things is refreshing. I both love and hate the newer Harvest Moon games...Tons to do, but its more a game of optimization and efficiency than it is of farming and relaxing.

Yeah, Stardew Valley generally doesn't gate progress as harshly as Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, and it's also a more breezy experience (you could literally run through two years of Stardew Valley in the time it would take you to finish year one in 3DS Story of Seasons games).

Also because it's so breezy, it sort of lends itself into replayability in a way most Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games don't. So even if you just want to do some chill farming, you can, but you may also get the urge to start a new fIle and shoot for max efficiency.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Quite possible that I won't play another Vita game for the rest of the year.

The only thing I would have liked, is if night time was a touch brighter, a couple of times I've done some late night planting and it was tricky with the fertiliser, though it's only an issue because i was on the go and it was bright outside.

Otherwise, had some minor frame drops, but nothing game breaking.

Hopefully, a physical Vita version still could happen to match my PS4 copy.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Quite possible that I won't play another Vita game for the rest of the year.

The only thing I would have liked, is if night time was a touch brighter, a couple of times I've done some late night planting and it was tricky with the fertiliser, though it's only an issue because i was on the go and it was bright outside.

Otherwise, had some minor frame drops, but nothing game breaking.

Hopefully, a physical Vita version still could happen to match my PS4 copy.

You can build lamp posts to put outside. Early maybe build some torchs.

Oct 25, 2017
So badly want to charge up the vita but my switch farm is just starting year four of spring.

I've got the ancient fruit wine flowing out my eyeballs.

Pigs are finally reproducing(sold all other animals) Pigs are just so cutie!!

A nice patch of farm dedicated to specialty honey.

Lastly a couple of smile pens. Just a hobby the wife and I enjoy aka Abigail.

I've made a few expensive late game purchases that has made moving through the world a breeze.

Although it is fun to start over...maybe not this time. Can't wait for that DLC!

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Been reading the responses to someoneelse who just recently started...pretty helpful, thanks! I also started (on day 3) and I just have a couple pressing questions. I'm trying to take the advice of "no guide" but these are really bothering me:

1. I can't seem to do anything in the crafting menu. My inventory bar is totally full, so I was trying to figure out what to do with it, so when I went to the crafting tab, I thought I could makes something with the stones, wood, etc. But every time I have something selected (like fence) and I go to swap it with the inventory bar (wood?), I cam only swap and then can't let go. Twice now I've tried but had to just close the game. I've hit every button on the controller and I just can't figure it out. It's like I get stuck there holding something and then have to end my game. (Playing on Switch btw)

2. What do I do with all my inventory stuff? Is there a place to store it? Maybe I'm focusing too much on clearing the brush on the farm.....I haven't even left the area, lol.

3. Is it necessary to sleep every night? On the first night, my character fell asleep after I overexerted him. Is this the only place to save?

I think that's all for now! My main issues involve the inventory. I feel stuck now that it's full.

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading the responses to someoneelse who just recently started...pretty helpful, thanks! I also started (on day 3) and I just have a couple pressing questions. I'm trying to take the advice of "no guide" but these are really bothering me:

1. I can't seem to do anything in the crafting menu. My inventory bar is totally full, so I was trying to figure out what to do with it, so when I went to the crafting tab, I thought I could makes something with the stones, wood, etc. But every time I have something selected (like fence) and I go to swap it with the inventory bar (wood?), I cam only swap and then can't let go. Twice now I've tried but had to just close the game. I've hit every button on the controller and I just can't figure it out. It's like I get stuck there holding something and then have to end my game. (Playing on Switch btw)

2. What do I do with all my inventory stuff? Is there a place to store it? Maybe I'm focusing too much on clearing the brush on the farm.....I haven't even left the area, lol.

3. Is it necessary to sleep every night? On the first night, my character fell asleep after I overexerted him. Is this the only place to save?

I think that's all for now! My main issues involve the inventory. I feel stuck now that it's full.
As soon as you get 50 pieces of wood, you can craft a chest (later on you will need several of these) to hold all your stuff. You will also be able to purchase larger backpacks so you can hold more stuff.

And yes, you need to sleep every night. You can stay out late and collapse from exhaustion, but you will start with less energy the following day.

Also, if your inventory is completely full and you're trying to craft something, the game is wanting you to dump something from your inventory. Make sure you have an empty space in your inventory for whatever you've crafted, otherwise you'll have to throw something away.

Last edited:

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
As soon as you get 50 pieces of wood, you can craft a chest (later on you will need several of these) to hold all your stuff. You will also be able to purchase larger backpacks so you can hold more stuff.

And yes, you need to sleep every night. You can stay out late and collapse from exhaustion, but you will start with less energy the following day.

Also, if your inventory is completely full and you're trying to craft something, the game is wanting you to dump something from your inventory. Make sure you have an empty space in your inventory for whatever you've crafted, otherwise you'll have to throw something away.

Ah, thank you!!!! The chests help a lot. All I ever wanted lol

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The backpack upgrades are available immediately at Pierre's general store, it's on his counter not his usual store inventory. The first is 2000g and adds 12 more slots. Usually the first thing I try to buy.

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
Got very addicted to this on switch. I had to literally force myself to stop playing to check out other games for a while. Feeling that itch to come back though. I hope I remember everything when I go back and don't have to re-learn what I'm doing.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Falling in love with this game all over again on Vita. The port itself is passable, I've had two crashes in six hours of play and noticeable frame rate issues on rainy days, but other than that, it's the full experience

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
When you max out the hearts of villagers, do you have to keep speaking to them to maintain it and is there any point in continuing to give them gifts?

I keep on giving my wife (Leah) gifts anyway to make up for all the extramarital sex I'm having with Emily. I'm a considerate husband like that.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to avoid spoilers and I've got a newbie question.

Is it easy to miss stuff forever time wise?

Like can I spend a week fishing and not be concerned about plot threads ending while I'm gone fishing?

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Each new spring is a blank slate, take the game at your own pace. You should never feel stressed playing Stardew

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to avoid spoilers and I've got a newbie question.

Is it easy to miss stuff forever time wise?

Like can I spend a week fishing and not be concerned about plot threads ending while I'm gone fishing?

The only thing you can miss is a little three-heart event with Sam that only happens in the first year. It's not a particularly important one, honestly, with no impact on your friendship with him.. it's actually more like character building for Vincent than Sam.

Otherwise, there's literally nothing you can miss out on.

Each new spring is a blank slate, take the game at your own pace. You should never feel stressed playing Stardew

That's why I'll never understand people who gripe about winter having nothing to do. That's your time to start getting ready for spring; clean out your chests, tweak your farm layout, gather up supplies for new buildings or features, take care of all the tool / sprinkler upgrades you've been putting off, etc. The greenhouse and winter seeds allow you to keep farming if you really want and there's always livestock to attend to. Winter's sort of a nice breather and reset button right before that first frantic rush on Spring 1 (and the change from Winter's soft, almost sad music tracks to Springs big, boisterous music just adds to the excitement).

Oct 25, 2017
When you max out the hearts of villagers, do you have to keep speaking to them to maintain it and is there any point in continuing to give them gifts?

I keep on giving my wife (Leah) gifts anyway to make up for all the extramarital sex I'm having with Emily. I'm a considerate husband like that.
Friendship levels of non married npc do not decay once you max them out. Spouses level do decrease.

Oct 25, 2017
This game got its hooks in me this weekend, now all I can think about is getting back in there and checking how my crops and animals are doing. And it's pretty exciting that the dev is still pushing new content for the switch that's on the way

Question: Is there a point to those little shrines spread out around town with animals on them?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
This game got its hooks in me this weekend, now all I can think about is getting back in there and checking how my crops and animals are doing. And it's pretty exciting that the dev is still pushing new content for the switch that's on the way

Question: Is there a point to those little shrines spread out around town with animals on them?

I think they're where you're teleported to if you use the applicable warp totem, but I've never bothered crafting or using warp totems so

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017

I was the same way, once the game grabbed me it became a problem. Also like Tfritz said those little shrines are for warping.

Oct 25, 2017

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for the Skull Cavern? I'm using Galaxy Sword, and Dark Boots.

Oh, and I can't add more stuff to the Museum tables. There is space, yet I can't place them, is there a bug?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the Skull Cavern? I'm using Galaxy Sword, and Dark Boots.

Oh, and I can't add more stuff to the Museum tables. There is space, yet I can't place them, is there a bug?

Bring stacks and stacks of Rock, and stacks and stacks of Bombs. Craft Staircases out of the Rock and use them to cheese your way in deep, then start placing Bombs to blow rocks up and collect whatever comes out.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
not exactly, but i find some of the spaces on the right are just, impossible to use. just adjust your view a tiny bit and try again, and then before you click the OK button, adjust your view so OK isn't over a usable space.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, after buying this game on a whim and putting in 110 hours, I think I'm finally ready to hang up my straw hat. I booted it up yesterday and I just found myself bored. My farm is all efficient, I've got ancient fruit stuff out the wazoo, a couple dozen pigs, and some honey bees, and it's nice enough. But most days now are just getting up, doing two hours of stuff, and then having nothing to do by 10 am. I'll go to the Skull Cavern on occasion, but I'm not too interested in hunting down the remaining artifacts or maxing out my relationships. I definitely got my money's worth out of this game, though. Hopefully in a few months, I'll have the urge to start it up again and make a new farm, because it's been fun.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully in a few months, I'll have the urge to start it up again and make a new farm, because it's been fun.

My experience mirrors yours very closely, I got everything I wanted out of the game and it doesn't force or incentivize the things I'm okay ignoring (catching every fish, for example).

I'm expecting to wander back for the multiplayer update, but I'm not sure how much that will extend things. However, I'm also sure one day when I need a serious chill-out game, SDV will be waiting like an old friend. Kind of comforting.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find pigs an absolute waste of money in this game. Bought 2. Regret the wasted money now

Once pigs are happy they start digging up very profitable truffles, it takes a while to get there though. I actually prefer pigs to the other livestock, they don't need any special tools like cows / sheep and they don't produce stuff so quickly that you have to constantly clean up (eggs). Very laid back, piggie farming is.