• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Archaeopteryx

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it actually helps, but when you drop off a tool be sure to hit the organize button in your inventory to get rid of the open spot. Same with any open spots in your fridge. I'm on year 3, all my tools upgraded to iridium, 80+ hours of gameplay and zero crashes.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot next session.

Oct 25, 2017
The darker the water, the better the fish. The spots I use are at the left pier on the beach (where the boulder is in the water), and the bottom left of the Town Map right between the two bushes that lead into the map that has Marnie's Ranch. Even at lower fishing levels you'll get gold star fish pretty regularly.

Luckily, you get better with fishing as your levels go up. Also, make sure to go fishing while its raining, several cases of fish that only appears when it does.

Does getting "Max" when casting have any effect? Other than casting distance, of course.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Just started my second playthrough. I was extremely thorough the first time, though, so this time I'll probably play a chill game.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
The darker the water, the better the fish. The spots I use are at the left pier on the beach (where the boulder is in the water), and the bottom left of the Town Map right between the two bushes that lead into the map that has Marnie's Ranch. Even at lower fishing levels you'll get gold star fish pretty regularly.

Luckily, you get better with fishing as your levels go up. Also, make sure to go fishing while its raining, several cases of fish that only appears when it does.
High username to post ratio

Thanks, gonna get them gold fishes 8)

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm approaching winter of my first year on my Switch save. What should I do except for trying to complete the bundles? I'm already at the bottom of the mines and I don't have any animals yet.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm approaching winter of my first year on my Switch save. What should I do except for trying to complete the bundles? I'm already at the bottom of the mines and I don't have any animals yet.

I was in your shoes (minus finishing the mines) my first winter has been getting and upgrade a barn and coop since between Cows, Goats, Chickens, and Ducks I was able to complete all but the finishing and bulletin board bundles. Obviously your mileage may very based upon what you did in spring -fall. Winter can also be a time to give towns people a lot of gifts to work on making them like you or redesigning your farm layout for the next year. I tore down all my stone fences and moved my barn, coop, and production items somewhere more aesthetically pleasing.

Glad to see you made the jump!

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thank you! Good to have you in here.
I was in your shoes (minus finishing the mines) my first winter has been getting and upgrade a barn and coop since between Cows, Goats, Chickens, and Ducks I was able to complete all but the finishing and bulletin board bundles. Obviously your mileage may very based upon what you did in spring -fall. Winter can also be a time to give towns people a lot of gifts to work on making them like you or redesigning your farm layout for the next year. I tore down all my stone fences and moved my barn, coop, and production items somewhere more aesthetically pleasing.
Yeah I guess I'll focus on animals and gifts. I played the game for ~20 hours back when it came out, and over 70 hours on PS4 and in that playthrough, which was kind of like a min/max-lite playthrough, I completed all the bundles around the start of fall of year 2, so this is kinda like my first playthrough that I play just to have a nice, relaxing experience without any pressure behind it. So right now I only do what I really want to do, which made me forget to get animals, haha. Thanks for the help!

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a good Barn + Coop by Winter Year 1 was essential on my second playthrough. Otherwise your residual income is basically 0. With 4 Chickens, 4 Ducks, 4 Cows, and 4 Goats, I get about 8000G per day just from my animals.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Glad to have a place to discuss this game again! I've been mostly trying to just play this "myself" without obsessing over min/maxing or looking up too much. The next time I fire it up marks the first day of winter, so I'm looking forward to the change of pace. I expect it won't change too much for me, since I never really expanded my garden plots much (I haven't exactly been raking in cash as a result) but it will be a good chance to build up my other non-farming production. Still waiting to unlock kegs so I can get my brewing and winery going!

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
*Watch Thread*

I am about to get the Switch version but will probably wait a week or so, it is Mario time after all.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the OT. I'm still waiting for the Switch to get a patch for the crashing bug. Don't want to play and worry about that just because I have space in my fridge inventory and whatnot. Was there an ETA on the patch?

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
YAY! So happy to see this thread. This game has seriously taken over all my play time over the past few weeks. It's so nice to just sit back and relax with it. I'm nearing the end of Winter 1 and I have a good nest egg of money and quality sprinklers for spring. I've been taking it slow with the amount I plant and the upgrades I do to my farm and its actually worked really well. I just gave Leah a salad for her birthday and now we're best friends. Soon I will waifu. My Year 2 is gonna be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this thread again.

Middle of Spring Year 2, only have the animal stuff to go before unlocking the greenhouse. So it's gonna be a while to get farm animals and check the traveling cart to get them all for the bundle.

Maxed out my inventory with the last backpack, and made enough money to pay the largest Vault bundle to fix the bus. Bought and planted a whole lot of strawberry seeds for more profit and to pay the other bundles.

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a lot to ask given one person developed the game but it would be cool if the NPCs had an additional scene when you get to 10 hearts with them.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I love the artwork done for the OP. :)

Stardew Valley is my most played game on Steam with 182 hours. It's very addicting. Haven't played in awhile, I admit, but I'm overdue to start a new save.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Just started this game on the normal map. I have a feeling it will be like Animal Crossing that I will just spend all the time fishing and trying to gather them all. Should I change to the riverland farm instead or does normal one make me able to catch everything?

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just started this game on the normal map. I have a feeling it will be like Animal Crossing that I will just spend all the time fishing and trying to gather them all. Should I change to the riverland farm instead or does normal one make me able to catch everything?
You can catch every fish no matter what farmland you pick. The Riverland Farm just has fishable water, but iirc it's the same water as the rivers in town.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I put furniture in the desert, does it stay there even after I leave? Maybe I can make my own oasis.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So just purchased a switch and plan on getting this. Is there MP in this version? No matter I plan on making all the pale ale and winning Hailey's heart once again.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So I'm playing the game for my first time on Switch. Maybe 20 days into my first playthrough. Just unlocked a few Community Center objectives so I'm trying to build toward the Green House and such.

How do you all generally balance your time between farming, mining for resources, fishing, and building relationships? I still don't have nearly enough ore to build sprinklers, so by the time I'm done manually watering my plants half my energy is gone so I have little left to use in the mines unless I stock up on bars to bring with me. But then I can't make bars because I'm not finding enough ingredients for them.

And then that leaves little time for talking to people.

Additionally, how do I find out what each person likes? I try to talk to most people every day, but most of them seem to say the same things every single day. I try giving some of them random gifts but I don't know what to give them so I'm just kinda stuck.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing the game for my first time on Switch. Maybe 20 days into my first playthrough. Just unlocked a few Community Center objectives so I'm trying to build toward the Green House and such.

How do you all generally balance your time between farming, mining for resources, fishing, and building relationships? I still don't have nearly enough ore to build sprinklers, so by the time I'm done manually watering my plants half my energy is gone so I have little left to use in the mines unless I stock up on bars to bring with me. But then I can't make bars because I'm not finding enough ingredients for them.

And then that leaves little time for talking to people.

Additionally, how do I find out what each person likes? I try to talk to most people every day, but most of them seem to say the same things every single day. I try giving some of them random gifts but I don't know what to give them so I'm just kinda stuck.

Save the mining for rainy days, or you can plant less crops.

People will sometimes hint at what they like, and don't feel the need to talk to everyone every day. Minerals are usually liked by nearly everyone.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
How do you all generally balance your time between farming, mining for resources, fishing, and building relationships?

Farming, first of all if you long press the watering can you can water more than one crop at once (though not sure if true on the default, took me one game year to figure that out)

Fish when it rains (won't have to water crops that day). Fishing absolutely sucks when you first start out but gets much much easier. Fish until you can get anew pole.

pick the mushrooms, not the fruitbats

You don't want to upgrade any gear until the winter when you can't farm (till you get the greenhouse)

Also go to the community center and start working the message boards on the left hand side from now. Always check your inventory before selling items to see if you can hand stuff in to the center.

As far as relationships, I just googled what they liked.

Mining? You could wait until the winter for that too.

My advice, chop down some trees, make some storage chests. Save some money for the strawberry seedssold at the spring event and store them so you can plant them next spring.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Just about done with Year 2. Got the greenhouse recently and set the rest of my farm up to roll during Year 3. :D

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
Farming, first of all if you long press the watering can you can water more than one crop at once (though not sure if true on the default, took me one game year to figure that out)

That depends on the level of your watering can. The default watering can only waters one square at a time. Copper = 3 squares, Iron = 5 squares, Gold = 9 squares, Iridium = 18 squares.

And I would also suggest upgrading the watering can as soon as you can afford it and have the materials. Just wait for a rainy day or the end of the season when there's a day you won't need to use it.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished my first year a while ago and noticed that some parts of the soundtrack sound incredibly familiar or almost like a tribute to tracks from other games/artists.

for example "Ravens decent" (https://youtu.be/idOmc35hlhU) sounds like something you would find in Sim City 4.
(for comparison: https://youtu.be/o6l1CsqZtnk)

Parts of "the wind can be still" (https://youtu.be/y_ezfsJ4-Lw?t=51s) sounds like it was taken straight out of one of Perturbator's Albums.

there are many others as well.
Just a coincidence? Am I imagining things?

Last edited:

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do you guys have any computation on using speed-gro and deluxe speed-gro? I'm thinking of using it on starfruit seeds but I don't think it has chance to make it 9 days from 13 harvest?

If that's the case, it is best to use it on crops below 10 days? 11? 12?

zasx

Oct 27, 2017
I already sank 60+ hours in this game!

I'm at Year 2 (Winter), house upgraded, married, mines done, community center done!

I'm getting murdered on the Skull Cave... :(

br26

Oct 27, 2017
Starting year 4. Over 100 hours on the PS4 version. I just saved the community center and am now focusing on developing relationships.

Mostly just doing stuff for trophies at this point, like shipping out a bunch of stuff, hunting for recipes, etc.

Planting a bunch of Starfruit so I can quickly get to $1,000,000.

QP3

Oct 27, 2017
Just purchased on steam. What am I in for? Any paramount tips I should know when starting?

QP3

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a grab bag of advice I've given on that... ahem... other forum;

- Don't rush. The game doesn't have a hard ending so you're not under the gun to get everything done immediately.

- Do what you want. Everything you do has some kind of benefit, from being social (which nets you lots of gifts and recipes) to fishing (the fish sell for a lot and you'll often find treasure) to foraging (a good way to make money early) to mining (tons of materials).

- Always check the TV. Weather reports, foraging tips and free recipes.

- Rainy Days are good days to fish and mine since all of your crops are watered and some fish only come out during rain.

- Don't rush into livestock immediately, they're time consuming and expensive if you're not prepared. Always make a silo first and give yourself plenty of time to harvest grass with the scythe for hay. I like to upgrade to the deluxe barn / coop as quickly as possible for the auto-feeder function too.

- Sheds are great if you need storage space as they're way bigger inside than out. Good place to store stuff (which, really, you should try to save one of everything) or set up all of your artisan crafting stations (cheese press, furnace, etc.).

- Check the traveling merchant who appears to the left, past the big tree, in the woods south of your farm. She shows up Friday and Sunday only, and sells a lot of stuff out of season or earlier than you'd normally be able to get it yourself. Two of the biggies to watch out for are Sprinklers and Battery Packs (which are used to make sprinklers). Sprinklers = automation = more time to do other stuff.

- Upgrade your tools in the winter when you won't really need them.

- Every 5th level in the mine has an elevator door so you can return to that floor quickly.

- You can find stuff in the various trash cans around town, just don't get seen doing it or the villagers will react badly.

- The village bar usually draws a ton of people after dark if you want to try to maximize your social interactions.​
Wow, didn't realize how deep this game is. Good stuff. Finding it very relaxing. I live in a place(IRL) where it doesn't rain much. I'm loving the rainy days in Stardew.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked the greenhouse before winter 2. Moved all my kegs in there and planted my first batch of starfruit. Ramping up production!

Still so many trees to cut down before I can really get into designing the farm.

Is there a way to know where grass is going to crop up once spring starts?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Had my first crash on Switch after a great day in the mines...winter, year 1. Any news on that patch? I haven't gone back to it since (with Mario and Etrian Oddysey 5 I have had plenty to keep me busy) but crashes just piss me off so much and I don't want to risk it again.