• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 1 day, 10 hours, 44 minutes, 32 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resetting Under a Harvest Moon

Jun 22, 2019
I finally gave the game a brief whirl (only played about 5 in-game days) and I don't know if I should stick with it.

Instead of the game being relaxing and soothing as I expected, it gave me some rather unpleasant anxiety, something most video games never do. Harvest Moon never did, although I'm in a worse mental state now than back when I played HM games I guess.

Something about the day timer being short, your energy levels even shorter, not being able to afford food in the early game (at least not if I wanna save up to upgrade my measly inventory), time passing even inside of houses making me feel like I need to leave immediately rather than check out how the townspeople live. HM had these systems too obviously but the cumulative experience never made me feel as uneasy and stressed as I did with only a few SD days (although again, maybe I'm just in a different state of mind and HM would cause the same sensations in the present).

And I guess the art style doesn't really resonate with me either (I thought it would but after actually playing... nope) so I'm not particularly appreciating the slow-paced wandering around.

Kinda bummed that this feels like it might just not be for me.

Retro

Oct 25, 2017
I finally gave the game a brief whirl (only played about 5 in-game days) and I don't know if I should stick with it.
The passage of time affects nothing except what crops you can plant and the holidays, obviously. There's nothing you can miss (except one very minor cut scene), and there's no time limit on making progress since you can visit the shrine on your farm and have your progress evaluated at any point after the first two years. Nobody leaves, nobody dies (except Grandpa, but that's right at the start of the game), all of your progress is forward. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

If it ends up not being for you, don't feel too bad. At the absolute worst, you've supported a super positive indie developer.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
What helped me relax was the first time I pretty much totally blew a season and my farm got pretty overgrown. Made me realize how low stakes everything is, you're never really punished for failure to rush around doing things. Especially in year one, you basically cant screw up bad enough to make your farm any worse than it would be at the start of a new season anyway.

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard not get that feeling of having to rush, even though you don't need to. I also wish time wouldn't pass in buildings.

But there's plenty of time to do things. You can just spend one day entirely on fishing, or one just exploring and talking to people, etc. You don't have to cram in farming, fishing, mining, socializing into each day.

You'll soon figure out your own pace you're comfortable with.

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is playing on the Switch. She's at the mermaid house with the seashells. How do you interact with the shells? Google just says "right click on them" or "hit them", but we can't find out how.

help please

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is playing on the Switch. She's at the mermaid house with the seashells. How do you interact with the shells? Google just says "right click on them" or "hit them", but we can't find out how.

help please
i think you have to sit through the whole show before you can interact with them, then you have to press them in a certain order (the answer is in a Secret Note, and also right here: Mermaid Show: 1-5-4-2-3

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think you have to sit through the whole show before you can interact with them, then you have to press them in a certain order (the answer is in a Secret Note, and also right here: Mermaid Show: 1-5-4-2-3
Yeah she had waited until the curtains closed again, but nothing was working. Then suddenly it worked. I think it was glitched.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of getting this game on GOG. What are some must-have mods? Also, is it complicated to install mods with this game?
I feel like the Content Patcher has pretty straight forward directions and was enough for me personally to follow despite not knowing anything about computers.

Seasonal Villagers outfits is nice, adds a little variety. There are a ton of portrait ones out there, but a lot of them are either unfinished or are just for the Hot Local Singles, and I'm not sure how many are compatible with 1.4

I haven't done any specific gameplay mods, just aesthetic ones, but I remember a lot of folks liked the "harvest anything with a scythe" one?