• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
It's randomized I believe, but you can always grab a grass starter to plant some of your own.

Don't forget sheds for all of your storage needs too, they're great for getting all of your chests / processing stations / kegs and such out of the way.
Hmm okay. I'll see what happens and just plant some if they're too far from my barns.

And yes, I'm currently too poor to really invest in sheds but that's the plan!

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
When I played on PC it took forever to get a rabbit's foot, they simply didn't drop. It was my last item for the CC by far.
This time I started looking very early at the travel cart vendor and nabbed one during my first summer. No more delays.

br26

Oct 27, 2017
Just three items left. Truffles, pomegranates, and a rabbit's foot.

funny enough truffles and a rabbit's foot were the last two i needed too.

Rabbit's feet are TOUGH to get though. the dragons in the second mine area drops them, and the travelling carts may carry them on occasion, but I had to buy two rabbits and spend a few weeks in-game waiting for one of them to finally drop it.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Had my first crash. I think it was because I opened the fridge right before going to bed.

Waiting for winter to start on really designing my farm now that I can make iridium sprinklers.

Gonna try and marry Sebastian unless one of his cutscenes really puts me off.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this game on the normal map. I have a feeling it will be like Animal Crossing that I will just spend all the time fishing and trying to gather them all. Should I change to the riverland farm instead or does normal one make me able to catch everything?
The other farms look cool but they get annoying when trying to plan your farm down the line. Since your quite limited in space.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Currently on Summer in Year 2... think it's Summer... I have had Coffee Beans running crazy, making endless Coffee stockpiles whilst making Mayonnaise/Cheese.

Just shy of Level 80 in the mines also, so still waiting on the Gold Reefs/Veins do knock out Gold tools... I'm going to start making some stockpiles of food across Summer and Fall and in Winter do a shitload of Cooking, I have yet to actually "cook" anything. So that will include a bunch of fishing...

The Community Centre is coming together nicely, but there are a few things still to go.

I do need some help though, can someone recommend...
stopping this game at a reasonable hour at night? I have had a few 2-3am sessions on worknights, where I get up at 530am each day...

It's not healthy!!!

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[...]- You can find stuff in the various trash cans around town, just don't get seen doing it or the villagers will react badly [...]

I've got to admit I'm really bothered by this and by how they treat the homeless guy (including the responses you can choose from in those situations). Is this game somehow anti poor people?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm midway through winter in year 1. I'm really enjoying the break from planting and harvesting crops; not because I don't enjoy that but it's given me time to tend to other jobs.

I've organised my farm, placing my buildings where I like them and putting cobblestone paths around my land. I've created an orchard of fruit trees and kept on top of clearing unwanted trees, stumps and rocks. Previously I just had my silo, barn and coop dropped in whichever space was available at the time and everything else was a wasteland of scrap until I sought stones and wood.

I'm also trying harder to build friendships, especially my future wife Abigail. I've discovered everyone likes artisan goods so everyone gets free honey, jelly and mayonnaise twice a week. Is there any way of finding out what people REALLY like? I've picked up a few hints from conversation with some characters but I'm still not exactly clear who would appreciate what as a gift. I really don't want to use online guides - I'd prefer to discover it naturally.

Absolutely loving this game. I'm playing it every opportunity I get. Thank goodness for Switch portability.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I'm splitting my time between the two depending on TV availability, as I only play SV handheld.

TV available = Super Mario Odyssey

TV not available = Stardew Valley

Life is good right now.

vella

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Mid way through winter first year, cleared the mines, got steel tools and completed two of the community centre bundles. Switch is perfect platform for this game. Haven't bothered with any friendship stuff yet, gonna wait until year two.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just started on the Switch. Man those saving times are gonna get pretty frustrating. Hopefully they can improve that as I don't remember it even being noticeable really last time I played it

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in spring of year 3. First time playing. I think I'm going to start a new farm. I've learned so much and I can do better with a new farm. My farm now is a hot mess.

Also I'm really glad I wasn't the only one with the "crash" bit. I was harvesting for iridium and it crashed on me, twice! I almost cried. I had so much ore.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing on the Switch. It's a little overwhelming, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Is there a quick way to make money and buy the backpack?
If you just started, I think that means you're in Spring. If so, farm Cauliflower. Also buy Strawberry seeds at the Egg Festival if that hasn't already happened.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Just started on the Switch. Man those saving times are gonna get pretty frustrating. Hopefully they can improve that as I don't remember it even being noticeable really last time I played it

It's the same way on all of the console versions I'm afraid, it's fastest (1 or 2 seconds) on the PC and Mac but takes around 20 seconds on the consoles.

Sour

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so excited for winter. I'm gonna farm the mine, upgrade all of my tools and replan my farm layout.

Should I be trying to set up as many quality sprinklers to get the EZ farming?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for winter. I'm gonna farm the mine, upgrade all of my tools and replan my farm layout.

Should I be trying to set up as many quality sprinklers to get the EZ farming?

I opted to go for quality sprinklers and don't regret it at all. In fact, I don't feel the need to expand my farm past what it is at currently, so I don't think I'll be upgrading to the iridium sprinklers. I picked the standard farm, though, so you may be in more need of space if you picked a different layout.

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
Linus is really one of my favorite characters. (Not my pic)
ltMm96R

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
This game man. I can't believe I waited this long to give it a shot. It's so relaxing - the ultimate podcast game.

Reading through this thread and some starter guides, I see I've been really efficient with my time. I'm like Day 20 of the first spring and I'm just learning there are quests available from the community center (I talked to the wizard and kind of forgot to go back to read the thing at the center). Should I start over or just keep going? I just got the coop built and have been doing a bunch of mining the last few days. I don't have that many active crops aside from one bean plant, some cauliflower I just planted, and I think 8 strawberry plants that haven't fruited yet. I also smelted my first copper bar so was going to try to upgrade something. I'd rather not start over but if I kissed something big I'm ok with it.

Are there 90 days in each season? The calendar just looks like it ends at 30.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
This game man. I can't believe I waited this long to give it a shot. It's so relaxing - the ultimate podcast game.

Reading through this thread and some starter guides, I see I've been really efficient with my time. I'm like Day 20 of the first spring and I'm just learning there are quests available from the community center (I talked to the wizard and kind of forgot to go back to read the thing at the center). Should I start over or just keep going? I just got the coop built and have been doing a bunch of mining the last few days. I don't have that many active crops aside from one bean plant, some cauliflower I just planted, and I think 8 strawberry plants that haven't fruited yet. I also smelted my first copper bar so was going to try to upgrade something. I'd rather not start over but if I kissed something big I'm ok with it.

28 days per season.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

Just keep going, you'll learn as you progress. There are certain things that you can miss but nothing that will "ruin" the game, and of course there's always the next year .......... :)

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Try abload.de?

I guess that's one downside to these new forums; quoting a post doesn't include the BB Code so nobody can just copy the address and see for themselves... unless there's a way to do that. /shrug

- Don't start over, quests are just a nice way to build up friendship and earn a little extra money but you're not missing anything if you ignore them completely.
- You literally cannot miss anything except for a very small cutscene in the first year (Alex's three heart event), and it's not blocking any progress or anything.
- Make sure when you go to upgrade your watering can, the next day is rainy and you water your crops before you take it in, that way your crops will get watered (they don't die, but they also won't grow / produce the next day).
- Each season is 28 days.

Cool, thanks. What happens if I plant a spring plant on like Day 27 of spring? Will it die day 1 of summer?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Soooo, is there any fastest way to clean dead crops? I was hoping I will some crops to die on the next season so that I won't have to till the soil on the next season. Too much work

Maile_rox

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo, is there any fastest way to clean dead crops? I was hoping I will some crops to die on the next season so that I won't have to till the soil on the next season. Too much work

I've tried bombing it. Don't recommend. With the energy I have left over I go and clean crops until 1am or when my energy gets really low

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Is using fertilizer as much as possible a good idea early on? I have like 60 sap but wondering if I should hold onto it for crafting something else. I'd start fertilizing in the start of the summer since I'm almost there.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it, Marnie. Why don't you go to the saloon on your birthday! >:(

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Never even dabbled with fertiliser yet. Do I just add it to tilled soil? Does it increase the likelyhood of gold star produce?

TheJuFox

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Never even dabbled with fertiliser yet. Do I just add it to tilled soil? Does it increase the likelyhood of gold star produce?
exactly that, yeah!! :D I personally only really use it for the 'big crops' that already give you a lot of profit. It really adds a lot more to it. Super easy to make as well, since sap doesn't really have a use outside of making fertilizer anyways

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
exactly that, yeah!! :D I personally only really use it for the 'big crops' that already give you a lot of profit. It really adds a lot more to it. Super easy to make as well, since sap doesn't really have a use outside of making fertilizer anyways
Yeah I have lots stored but just never used it. Will likely give it a go when it gets round to summer. Thanks for the info.