• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Truffles oil is more valuable than Iridium Truffle.
Not if you don't have the Artisan skill. (Which I don't because I picked Agriculturist for the 10% growth boost because it felt right at the time, and I Googled for suggestions. I didn't really think I'd need Artisan stuff at the time.) But combine Botanist with Artisan and you're in the money.

Just make sure you make enough oil machines to convert it all and you're golden.

However, if you don't have Artisan, then purple truffles are worth more than normal truffle oil.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
There's so many oversights in this game that should be fixed.

Like I just bought an Iridium Sprinkler from Krobus then got distracted, when I went back to my game I accidentally gave it back to him as a gift. So I couldn't buy it again since he only sells one a week. Ugh. I have accidentally given things to people all the time. Why doesn't it ask you if you want to give the item first? A simple dialog would prevent so much.

Of course it was right at the end of the day after I'd done all my chores and of course there's no way I'm missing out on another sprinker (I forgot to buy one a few weeks ago) so I quit the game and started again. Even though I'd spent some time in the desert and the Skull Cavern.

Bah!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I'm finally going to start this on Switch soon. Any good starting tips or things I need to know?

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I'm finally going to start this on Switch soon. Any good starting tips or things I need to know?

Quoting myself from the first page here;

Kind of a grab bag of advice I've given on that... ahem... other forum;

- Don't rush. The game doesn't have a hard ending so you're not under the gun to get everything done immediately.

- Do what you want. Everything you do has some kind of benefit, from being social (which nets you lots of gifts and recipes) to fishing (the fish sell for a lot and you'll often find treasure) to foraging (a good way to make money early) to mining (tons of materials).

- Always check the TV. Weather reports, foraging tips and free recipes.

- Rainy Days are good days to fish and mine since all of your crops are watered and some fish only come out during rain.

- Don't rush into livestock immediately, they're time consuming and expensive if you're not prepared. Always make a silo first and give yourself plenty of time to harvest grass with the scythe for hay. I like to upgrade to the deluxe barn / coop as quickly as possible for the auto-feeder function too.

- Sheds are great if you need storage space as they're way bigger inside than out. Good place to store stuff (which, really, you should try to save one of everything) or set up all of your artisan crafting stations (cheese press, furnace, etc.).

- Check the traveling merchant who appears to the left, past the big tree, in the woods south of your farm. She shows up Friday and Sunday only, and sells a lot of stuff out of season or earlier than you'd normally be able to get it yourself. Two of the biggies to watch out for are Sprinklers and Battery Packs (which are used to make sprinklers). Sprinklers = automation = more time to do other stuff.

- Upgrade your tools in the winter when you won't really need them.

- Every 5th level in the mine has an elevator door so you can return to that floor quickly.

- You can find stuff in the various trash cans around town, just don't get seen doing it or the villagers will react badly.

- The village bar usually draws a ton of people after dark if you want to try to maximize your social interactions.​

Addendum; for a larger backpack, see the counter at Pierre's shop. That's a good thing to save up for first.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay, thanks. There's so much to do I didn't want to spread myself too thin.

Yeah, at first blush it's overwhelming, try not to let it kill your enthusiasm because you have all the time you need to get things done. Focus on the easy stuff it suggests first; get some seeds, grow some crops. Foraging (that is, just looking for natural plants like dandelions, wild horseradish, spring onions) is simultaneously a good way to make money and explore the valley.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at first blush it's overwhelming, try not to let it kill your enthusiasm because you have all the time you need to get things done. Focus on the easy stuff it suggests first; get some seeds, grow some crops. Foraging (that is, just looking for natural plants like dandelions, wild horseradish, spring onions) is simultaneously a good way to make money and explore the valley.

Just two questions, how do I start getting into socializing and gift-giving? And where is Robin's place?

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just two questions, how do I start getting into socializing and gift-giving? And where is Robin's place?

Socializing is as simple as talking to people around town (there will be a quest to meet everyone, don't feel like you have to do it the first day because some of the people aren't immediately available), gift giving is as simple as having an item in your hands and talking to them. You can give people up to two gifts per week and part of the fun is figuring out what they like (and hate).

Robin's place is north of town; if you exit the north side of your farm and take the little path it will put you right to the northwest of her house (it has a blue roof with a shed out back). Alternatively, you can head north of the town square into the little park area (with a playground, fountain and the Community Center) and follow a path north from there.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017

If you have no skill, fishing during rainy days can be extremely difficult.

I used the wiki for the gifts, some people like to discover it as the game progressed, but it seemed complicated. If you feel you don't like the social part, try giving gifts only on birthdays, that should cover it.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Don't make the mistake I did, not read about which plants grow on a trellis, and plant them in a way to make them unharvestable.

Most plants you can walk through. However, anything that grows on a trellis (it'll say in the description, like beans), plant so that you can water and harvest and reach without walking through plants. so, don't plant trellis in a

xxx
xxx
xxx

formation.

Do it like..

xxxxx
[space to walk[
xxxxx

Also upgrading your tools take, I think, two days. So plan to upgrade tools on days you don't need them. If it's raining today and the TV says it'll rain tomorrow, upgrade your watering can today. If it's raining and the TV says it'll not be raining tomorrow, don't upgrade your watering can.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't make the mistake I did, not read about which plants grow on a trellis, and plant them in a way to make them unharvestable.

Most plants you can walk through. However, anything that grows on a trellis (it'll say in the description, like beans), plant so that you can water and harvest and reach without walking through plants. so, don't plant trellis in a

xxx
xxx
xxx

formation.

Do it like..

xxxxx
[space to walk[
xxxxx

Also upgrading your tools take, I think, two days. So plan to upgrade tools on days you don't need them. If it's raining today and the TV says it'll rain tomorrow, upgrade your watering can today. If it's raining and the TV says it'll not be raining tomorrow, don't upgrade your watering can.

Ah, this is helpful. Thanks!

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh if you ever need a lot of money:
-Go fishing and, while waiting for fish to bite, click on the journal icon. That way time stops but fish still bite, and you end up catching twice as many. Then you sell them all (or most)
-In summer and Autumn, plant a crapton of berries. Then you sell most of them

But honestly you don't really need to do this unless you're running very low on money. Though berries are always good

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Does anyone know if Grandpa's Shrine for multiplayer will judge each character independent of the other, and produce as many Statues as there are players who meet the requirements?

Also, WHERE THE HELL DO I GET A PRISMATIC SHARD *rageeee*

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Ah, this is helpful. Thanks!

Sorry to double post but I wanted to make sure you got this.

More tips that I learned way too late:

1. You can fill your pet's water bowl daily with your watering can.
2. Watch TV every day if there's a Queen of Sauce show for the recipes.
3. If you hold a piece of hay, you can walk around holding down your right mouse button and pet all the animals without bringing up the popup if you already pet them.
4. Grass grows randomly 0-2 adjacent tiles per day. If you fence in your animals and you grow grass on the perimeter, they'll never eat your grass starter and there's a chance grass will grow into the area. Less money spent.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Bah bought this on switch and discovered it doesn't have multiplayer yet. Now we're tempted to double dip on PC due to this game being digital crack.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the scope of a scarecrow? Is there any way to know what area a single scarecrow covers? I dont want to have to litter my farm with these!

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the scope of a scarecrow? Is there any way to know what area a single scarecrow covers? I dont want to have to litter my farm with these!

I really wish scarecrows highlighted the area they cover when you're holding them as an item because it's hard to explain.

They basically cover a round area that extends in all four directions 8 spaces, creating a 17 x 17 area, but it excludes 10 spaces at the corners. I'm spoiler tagging the image in case people don't want that sort of info spoiled.

QNzcV3H.png

Really wish they were just square.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish scarecrows highlighted the area they cover when you're holding them as an item because it's hard to explain.

They basically cover a round area that extends in all four directions 8 spaces, creating a 17 x 17 area, but it excludes 10 spaces at the corners. I'm spoiler tagging the image in case people don't want that sort of info spoiled.

QNzcV3H.png

Really wish they were just square.
This is super helpful! Thanks!!!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch will be the first console to get multiplayer. But no word yet on when exactly it will ship.
Did they confirm this? Until now all consoles got patches at the same time, do we know why this one will get staggered releases? And why Switch first? Im playing on Switch I dont get affected by this but I'd just like to know why?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was initially confirmed over a year ago - the Switch will be the first console to get multiplayer Stardew Valley -

https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-multiplayer-news/

that is still the case.
Ok i realize that but do we know why Switch, the last console that got the game mind you (Vita doesn't count), is getting this patch first? I mean until now all consoles got the patches at basically the same time. Why stagger them now and why Switch first?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Ok i realize that but do we know why Switch, the last console that got the game mind you (Vita doesn't count), is getting this patch first? I mean until now all consoles got the patches at basically the same time. Why stagger them now and why Switch first?

I don't know, but at a guess I'd say it's because of the Switch's portability.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada

Probably for same reason as a lot of Switch exclusives. What is that reason? I guess because Nintendo offered them a deal they couldn't refuse. (Money, % or promotion?) SteamWorld Dig 2 launched on Switch first. If you watch a lot of Nindies they will say launching first on the Nintendo Switch. What they gave to get that, I don't know.

In other words, Nintendo asked. Probably gave something.

Yeah, the Switch is the last to get it, but it's also the last console to be released, so that's not a key factor.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I started playing this last night on the PC after picking it up over a year ago, oh my God, I only played for an hour but I'm already itching to get back and grow some crops.

This is my first type of game like this, and I want to explore everything, I think I've opened Pandora's box lol

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, who thinks this will get MP on Switch as a push for the yearly online service from Nintendo? News is MP is coming to switch before PS4 or XBONE, which means they are probably fully focusing on Switch dev.

I mean, I've got friends on PC, so unless they have cross platform play (lol) it won't mean much for me (unless it somehow has couch co-op).

Also, this update means there will be a way to rechoose professions, so that'll be great as I made bad choices on my Switch save. Does the update also buff the shitty professions? Looking at guides a few months ago and certain paths are objectively bad.

Anyway, back to making casks and bee houses.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
So, who thinks this will get MP on Switch as a push for the yearly online service from Nintendo? News is MP is coming to switch before PS4 or XBONE, which means they are probably fully focusing on Switch dev.

I mean, I've got friends on PC, so unless they have cross platform play (lol) it won't mean much for me (unless it somehow has couch co-op).

Also, this update means there will be a way to rechoose professions, so that'll be great as I made bad choices on my Switch save. Does the update also buff the shitty professions? Looking at guides a few months ago and certain paths are objectively bad.

Anyway, back to making casks and bee houses.

I was just thinking about this earlier. I know it might not seem like a big thing to launch with the online service but it kind of is. Stardew Valley charts every single week on the eshop.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I was just thinking about this earlier. I know it might not seem like a big thing to launch with the online service but it kind of is. Stardew Valley charts every single week on the eshop.
As soon as the MP beta started on Steam it got back into the top 5 sellers for MONTHS.

Stardew has power.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada

That's tough to say. I am getting the feeling that Switch Online won't make the mistake of blocking all online games, just Nintendo ones. So it's strange to have that features as a Switch Online game if it doesn't use the service. As far as I know, no other console blocks out all third party games like that. Though, some used to in the past.

Why wouldn't it have cross pay? Same code. It's harder to stop it than start it. The problem is the invite system. No couch co-op, though.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I was looking on the eshop for a game to play with my wife who has very specific tastes and "gaming abilities".

And since there's no Pikmin yet, Yoshi is far away (and still kinda hard for her to control), Pokemon too... I thought about Stardew.

But it seems the MP is still not in the Switch version. Were there any insight from the dev about roughly when it has a chance to happen ?

Looked around and the answer seemed to unfortunately be negative.

If not close to release at all, I'm not sure what game I can find or if I can even find one.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
It's not known how far it is until release. Just that the Switch will be the first console to get it. You need two Switches and two copies of the game for it to work.

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
More good news; the game just sold it's millionth copy on the Switch!

Stardew Valley originally launched on other platforms in 2016. When it was ported to the Switch this time last year it was met with overwhelming support by the Switch community. Stardew Valley has gone on to sell over 1 million units on the Switch eShop alone. Many fans believe the Switch is the best place to play games like Stardew Valley and that is not lost on the developers.

"I'm still very excited about Stardew Valley and what it's future holds. With the upcoming multiplayer update there is so much life left in the game... and Nintendo Switch is truly a perfect home for the game."

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of copies.

I can't wait to dive into the game again with that multiplayer patch. No official statement about cross-play with pc, right?

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Damn. The only thing that could make this week any better is the announcement of a sequel, haha.

I already bought the game on PC, 2x on PS4 (digital and physical) and on the Switch, but I'm so in for a mobile version if it plays well.