• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really starting to get into this game now. Built myself a chest which was very needed. And some fences. How do I get seeds to grow food though? I'm running out of parsnips and they're very handy on the road.

Btw, can somebody explain the fishing mini game? I can't catch anything after my first catch. So the green thing has to be below the fish to push it up? But it never works.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I'm really starting to get into this game now. Built myself a chest which was very needed. And some fences. How do I get seeds to grow food though? I'm running out of parsnips and they're very handy on the road.

Btw, can somebody explain the fishing mini game? I can't catch anything after my first catch. So the green thing has to be below the fish to push it up? But it never works.

Starting out you buy seeds from the general store. Fishing is hard at the start, but you need to click either faster or slower and keep the green on the fish to fill up the bar.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Starting out you buy seeds from the general store. Fishing is hard at the start, but you need to click either faster or slower and keep the green on the fish to fill up the bar.
Thank you, I'll look into it, and keep practice fishing.

Can't I drop items from my inventory? I tried dragging an item out but it didn't work. It sucks when I find a material I don't have but I can't pick it up cause my inventory is full. I wonder if I can upgrade my inventory space so I can carry more.

Also what is the best way to earn money besides the journal? I have 454g and everything is so expensive. Should I just catch fish and coal and stone and sell it all in the box at my house? Do I sell any of these things for instance?

915120f7-0a9d-4e17-9ezmcen.png

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
You need coal and stone, don't sell. Plant stuff. Fish. Forage. Mines.
Do I just go to the general store and keep buying seeds and growing it. Then I can sell foods and fish.

Btw I placed a fish in the box, and immediately placed another fish in the box. So the first disappeared instantly. Does this mean that I sold it already?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you're putting things in the sales box, you can recover the most recent thing you shipped.
I think dude picks up the stuff overnight and that's when you get paid. Otherwise you can sell to the appropriate vendor to get paid right now.

You need to have a balance of crafting materials vs. cash, so you can build buildings and buy weapons etc. But your game is your game, you can sell all the stones if you want. It will put off your ability to build a barn, but animals take effort anyhow.

Unless you're trying to min-max the time spent on getting all the trophies in a single round or something, there's no worries about missing anything. One cutscene with a town member, and maybe your dead relative will give you a barely passing grade on your first evaluation.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
If you're putting things in the sales box, you can recover the most recent thing you shipped.
I think dude picks up the stuff overnight and that's when you get paid. Otherwise you can sell to the appropriate vendor to get paid right now.
What if I am putting multiple things in the sales box? Will I be paid for it all? I placed multiple things in there but could only recover the most recent item as you said, but was I paid for the other things I put in there?

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What if I am putting multiple things in the sales box? Will I be paid for it all? I placed multiple things in there but could only recover the most recent item as you said, but was I paid for the other things I put in there?
Yes. You get paid overnight for every single thing you put in there. You'll get an overview of what you've put in the box and how much each item sold for (always the same amount of money year round) when you go to bed.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
The one box is a oops i made a mistake but only the one recent put in item. When you sleep, which is only way to save btw, you will see totals. Hit the + to see what all you sold.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Great. It's nice that I can see what I've sold and for how much during a night. Now I'm finally making some money. I got the fishing down and is selling plenty of fish. Also sold 100 pieces of stones, and some grass etc. I can't wait to own a horse so I can get around faster but that seems like endgame stuff.

I also figured out how to drop items, since it's not possible to drag out of the inventory. Instead I have to delete it from the inventory in the menu.

Now I'm headed for the egg festival, and after that I'm gonna gift Halley a dandelion or something from the beach since it's her birthday tomorrow.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'll do that.

Can someone evaluate my progress?

I'm on Day 24 of Spring Year 1. I probably earn around 300g daily so it's going really slow. On a good day I can earn 800g on fishing. I've only ever crafted one thing, and that's the furnace so I can melt ores into bars.

What would be the logical next step to progress. I'm thinking I should keep fishing and selling. And look into upgrading my tools like the pickaxe, water can and hoe. And also upgrade my fishing rod to one I can put bait on, it'll cost 1800g. After this, i would want to upgrade my house with a kitchen.

Any other tips?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll do that.

Can someone evaluate my progress?

I'm on Day 24 of Spring Year 1. I probably earn around 300g daily so it's going really slow. On a good day I can earn 800g on fishing. I've only ever crafted one thing, and that's the furnace so I can melt ores into bars.

What would be the logical next step to progress. I'm thinking I should keep fishing and selling. And look into upgrading my tools like the pickaxe, water can and hoe. And also upgrade my fishing rod to one I can put bait on, it'll cost 1800g. After this, i would want to upgrade my house with a kitchen.

Any other tips?

I really love fishing in this game. If you have fun doing it, keep it up as a great side activity.

I tried to look for a screenshot that shows one of my good days of fishing. I think it's from a day in the summer season:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Upgrading a watering can is amazing because it speeds up daily work. Hoe is less important because it only needs doing....once a season....in theory.

Also, make friends early. If you're fishing, you're wandering to good spots, so give gifts and figure out what people like.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've met 27/28 people lol. I haven't been to Joja Market yet, so I'm kind of hoping the last one's there.

And yeah, I totally love fishing, super addicting. I always go to the beach to catch fish near Willy's shop, so I can sell them right away and catch more.
I did try and fish in the mines too. I think I'm gonna go explore, see if I catch different fish in different areas.
Also TheKeyPit , your image isn't working.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And yeah, I totally love fishing, super addicting. I always go to the beach to catch fish near Willy's shop, so I can sell them right away and catch more.
I did try and fish in the mines too. I think I'm gonna go explore, see if I catch different fish in different areas.
Also TheKeyPit , your image isn't working.
Are you trying to earn achievements/trophies for this game? Selling fish to Willy won't let the fish count to any of those. Just wanted to let you know.

Fishing in the mines isn't profitable. You catch too much trash there.

I could tell you a good spot on the lake on the top right of the map if you want to know.

Image not working? I can't even edit that because it doesn't show up in the edit-window.
Well, just go to the link: https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/thekeypit/screenshot/10686820

Summer is a good season to catch good fish near Willy's shop.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Are you trying to earn achievements/trophies for this game? Selling fish to Willy won't let the fish count to any of those. Just wanted to let you know.

Fishing in the mines isn't profitable. You catch too much trash there.

I could tell you a good spot on the lake on the top right of the map if you want to know.

Image not working? I can't even edit that because it doesn't show up in the edit-window.
Well, just go to the link: https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/thekeypit/screenshot/10686820

Summer is a good season to catch good fish near Willy's shop.

None of your images work for me...

Also you really only fish in the mines for the bundle stuff.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I never go after achievements or trophies in games. I just want fish that are worth good money.

I just bought a new fishing rod and attached bait to it, but can't say I'm noticing much of a difference so far.

I'll be sure to explore the north-east area for good fish.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Orz I'm not gonna be able to get fhe Greenhouse built before Winter unless the Traveling Merchant decides to be really generous with the animal products

Deleted member 47619

Sorry if anyone saw my old post. I wanted to post in the DQ tread. I've been playing Stardew for quite awhile now. I felt rather stressed during my first playthrough because of Grandpa's evaluation. But it's much easier for me to complete the Bundles in my second playthrough. I'm almost finished with the Community Center in that file.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought this for Switch yet and Chucklefish is still the Switch publisher so that's kind of a shame because I'd rather my money go more directly to ConcernedApe (although I guess it doesn't really matter, if he only gets one dollar out of every SV sale he's still a multimillionaire...)

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I haven't bought this for Switch yet and Chucklefish is still the Switch publisher so that's kind of a shame because I'd rather my money go more directly to ConcernedApe (although I guess it doesn't really matter, if he only gets one dollar out of every SV sale he's still a multimillionaire...)
He is not changing the publisher on the Switch. Possibly because it's only reasonable to let the people who helped with putting it on the Switch profit a little more from their work? I don't know if he plans to take back that IP in the future or not.

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Finally! But how does multiplayer work exactly? If I set up a world for me and a friend of mine, will he be able to play on that farm when I'm not online? Or does he just join my savefile while I'm playing, and can't play when I'm not able to?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some very interesting news - ConcernedApe is going to self-publish Stardew Valley -

"Starting December 14th, I'll begin self-publishing Stardew Valley on PC, XBOX, PS4, and PSVITA. On those platforms, I (ConcernedApe) will be both publisher and developer. However, Chucklefish will remain publisher on Nintendo Switch and Mobile platforms."

more at this link -

https://stardewvalley.net/move-to-self-publishing-starting-december-14th/
He'll be on his own for the release of the Multiplayer update on PS4 and Xbox One, and will have to crush all the upcoming bugs singlehandedly for these versions after that patch releases?

Why didn't he wait until Multiplayer dropped on those platforms?

(Alright, he confirmed on Twitter that he'll even do his best to eliminate all remaining problems of the Vita port)

He'll handle it.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The game will be a best-seller on the digital stores for years to come.

It's easy to appreciate his genuine desire to update the current game rather than put all this content in a sequel.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So I stopped playing for a while on my Switch. About 3 months. Came back the other day to the new update and loaded up my year 5 farm and performance is horrible. What happened? When I'm outside on the farm and all my animals come out of their barns the frame rate drops to literally 1-2FPS. It never did that before. It was fine before. Now it's virtually unplayable. Worst part is I'm planning on making it a mostly animal farm next year. I only have like 90 animals.

I've Googled and maybe some people are having the same problem. I haven't tried starting over because I do not want to start over. If I start over the fun will be gone. I want to play my farm. I'm pretty much maxed out all my levels except fishing.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I stopped playing for a while on my Switch. About 3 months. Came back the other day to the new update and loaded up my year 5 farm and performance is horrible. What happened? When I'm outside on the farm and all my animals come out of their barns the frame rate drops to literally 1-2FPS. It never did that before. It was fine before. Now it's virtually unplayable. Worst part is I'm planning on making it a mostly animal farm next year. I only have like 90 animals.

I've Googled and maybe some people are having the same problem. I haven't tried starting over because I do not want to start over. If I start over the fun will be gone. I want to play my farm. I'm pretty much maxed out all my levels except fishing.

Yeah, highly surprised that wasn't picked up during testing.

Here's the official Chucklefish thread on all of the bugs in 1.3 -

https://community.playstarbound.com...switch-multiplayer-known-issues-fixes.150754/

It would be worth you logging yours there too.
Always look at his official twitter account:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Always look at his official twitter account:

Awesome. Hopefully it's soon. I'm going on vacation and was hoping to play a bit. It's playable but it's a really bad frame rate depending on where I am on the farm and how many animals are nearby. So weird. Will be glad to see it gone so I can get to work converting to a mostly animal farm for year 6. I'm worn out on planting and harvesting so much every season (I don't have the Jumino hut yet) and now that you can automatically gather milk and wool it'll be much more fun to just max out my animals. If only there was an egg collector as well. I will be keeping a couple crops but most of the farm will be for animals to roam around. (I have like 4,500,000 in the bank right now. The greenhouse is for fruit trees and a mixture of star fruit and ancient fruit.)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ok, but how does it work?
You place one in each barn and it just collects everything for you in the morning. It's basically a chest. You can leave your doors open and let the animals be free and just go inside the barn and get the stuff.

However, using them will not let you gain the extra +5 friendship points you get by manually milking or sheering them. So if your animals are still young it'll take longer to get to max friendship points. If this is a fine tradeoff then it's worth it. Especially if you have a lot of animals.

I just want an egg collector now. But that's not a big deal since eggs and feathers and bunny tails all just sit on the ground and wait so it's not that much of a deal. Milking is harder because you're trying to milk them all when they're constantly moving. (Plus the game has horrible hit detection when trying to decide which animal you're trying to milk.) Also it avoids the whole "will it/won't it have milk today?" thing with goats who only have milk every two days or so since it'll all just collect.

It also lets you just leave it for a few days and come back and gather everything all at once. So you don't HAVE to collect it that day. Less stress. Less collecting. More time for activities.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Auto-Grabber

Note: You'll still want to pet your animals every day whether you collect the stuff or not. At least you can get those points.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want an egg collector now. But that's not a big deal since eggs and feathers and bunny tails all just sit on the ground and wait so it's not that much of a deal. Milking is harder because you're trying to milk them all when they're constantly moving. (Plus the game has horrible hit detection when trying to decide which animal you're trying to milk.) Also it avoids the whole "will it/won't it have milk today?" thing with goats who only have milk every two days or so since it'll all just collect.

Plus having to carry the milking tool around gets annoying, whereas eggs are just there to pick up as items.