• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing this game, but my girlfriend has played a ton of it. She's telling me she thinks her game is glitched, and I don't know enough to make suggestions about what she is missing or if this is a known glitch.

She's telling me that she can't attach bait to her fishing hooks, nor can she load(?) her slingshot. She says the way you do those two things in the menus are basically the same and her game just doesn't let her do it. Any tips? Anything I should tell her to try?

Thanks!

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing this game, but my girlfriend has played a ton of it. She's telling me she thinks her game is glitched, and I don't know enough to make suggestions about what she is missing or if this is a known glitch.

She's telling me that she can't attach bait to her fishing hooks, nor can she load(?) her slingshot. She says the way you do those two things in the menus are basically the same and her game just doesn't let her do it. Any tips? Anything I should tell her to try?

Thanks!

It's right-click with a mouse or X on a xbox controller. You can't put bait or anything on the basic bamboo fishing pole, but all the others will take at least bait. I hope she figures out what's wrong. I've never had that issue so I can't be much help.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody still come around here and can answer this:

My girlfriend and I are curious how Stardew Valley Co-op works. Can we use it to effectively share a farm online? What are the limitations?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody still come around here and can answer this:

My girlfriend and I are curious how Stardew Valley Co-op works. Can we use it to effectively share a farm online? What are the limitations?

You share a farm but money is combined. You can add a handicap when you first start meaning selling items gives more money, I'd recommend having one so you can both buy all the items you want. Aside from that it's exactly like single player.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You share a farm but money is combined. You can add a handicap when you first start meaning selling items gives more money, I'd recommend having one so you can both buy all the items you want. Aside from that it's exactly like single player.

I assume only the host can progress the farm alone? Thanks for answering so quickly!!

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Multiplayer Update on PlayStation and Xbox could release in the coming weeks, and ConcernedApe wants to release infos on the 1.4 content update after that.

Oct 27, 2017
I've started playing this again recently and I'm pretty addicted. A lot of my time is spent looking up tips and strategies and I'm continually thinking about it. I'm near the end of year 2; I messed about a lot in year 1 but this time I've been focusing mostly on the more profitable crops whilst also growing others for variety. I've got a large hen house, three cows in a barn and I've just had the stable built. I've set up a bunch of tappers on trees, but I think I'll cut down a lot of trees during winter to rearrange and set up two small orchards; one with trees I can tap and the other with fruit trees. I'm pretty low on gold so I've been doing a run into the lower mine levels on most rainy days and I need some iridium bars to make sprinklers, preferably enough to get it all set up before spring comes around. I've not really done many of the bundles in the community centre yet, but I'd like to get the greenhouse so I need to focus on that a bit. I haven't done any social stuff at all but I'll probably use a guide as I'm honestly not sure I can be bothered finding out what people like by myself. Loving it though. If the numbers by my save file mean the length of time I've played then apparently I've been at this for 45 hours!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm half way through winter and I was planning on doing loads of stuff like upgrading my watering can to iridium and getting a bigger house in this quiet season, but I'm pretty much out of money. Got about 30 chests full of stuff but I'm a bit loathe to sell too much. I guess I could sell eggs as I'm getting a good regular supply of those every day. I've also got a few pickles, jams and mayonnaise jars I could sell. I also need to make sure I've got at least a few thousand to buy seeds once spring begins. I've done a few runs into the Skull Cavern but it's pretty challenging and I might wait until I've got a better weapon and more resources. Saving up for the Magna Sword but it's 25000 gold and I currently have about 1000! Although I do have about a dozen Ancient Seeds so maybe I should concentrate on those come spring.

Edit - and I've got the golden pumpkin award which I could sell! I don't think that has any real use.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm half way through winter and I was planning on doing loads of stuff like upgrading my watering can to iridium and getting a bigger house in this quiet season, but I'm pretty much out of money. Got about 30 chests full of stuff but I'm a bit loathe to sell too much. I guess I could sell eggs as I'm getting a good regular supply of those every day. I've also got a few pickles, jams and mayonnaise jars I could sell. I also need to make sure I've got at least a few thousand to buy seeds once spring begins. I've done a few runs into the Skull Cavern but it's pretty challenging and I might wait until I've got a better weapon and more resources. Saving up for the Magna Sword but it's 25000 gold and I currently have about 1000! Although I do have about a dozen Ancient Seeds so maybe I should concentrate on those come spring.

Edit - and I've got the golden pumpkin award which I could sell! I don't think that has any real use.

You can sell everything - or keep one of everything if you want to do all the recipes for the achievement. Otherwise, there is no reason to keep any of it. Turn eggs into mayo, milk into cheese, fruit into jam, etc... but the real money is wine. Starfruit wine and Ancient Fruit wine will make you millions. Sweet Gem Berries will also make a lot of money, but they can't be turned into wine. If you have the greenhouse, you can slowly turn the whole thing into Ancient Fruit, which never needs to be replanted, and have a very steady income. Also, PIGS. You can ditch all the other animals because pigs make way more money finding truffles. If you have the gathering skill at level 10, every truffle will be iridium quality, and you might get double the truffles. You can turn them into truffle oil or just sell them. Artisan products will always sell for more so if you can turn something into something else, do it.
I usually get around $30K-$70K per day. My record was $550,000 in one day. Year 3, I planted nothing but Ancient Fruit outside because it lasts through Fall. I have more money at this point than I know what to do with.

As for Skull Cavern, there is no reason to go there until you have the Galaxy Sword. (If you really want the Galaxy Sword and can't find a Prismatic Shard, there is a certain piece of wallpaper you can use that the game sees as the same ID as the shard. There's also a piece of wallpaper you can chuck into a coop incubator that will hatch out a dinosaur. These are easy to find on Google.)
If you get to year 3 and get all 4 candles lit on Grandpa's shrine, you will get a statue that showers you with iridium so it's not even worth it to go to Skull Cavern at all except for the quest challenge. I had so much money, I bought enough stone that I could make 100 staircases and got to "the bottom" that way.

Also, the golden pumpkin is just for decoration or to sell. I believe it sells for $2000.

Oct 27, 2017
You can sell everything - or keep one of everything if you want to do all the recipes for the achievement. Otherwise, there is no reason to keep any of it. Turn eggs into mayo, milk into cheese, fruit into jam, etc... but the real money is wine. Starfruit wine and Ancient Fruit wine will make you millions. Sweet Gem Berries will also make a lot of money, but they can't be turned into wine. If you have the greenhouse, you can slowly turn the whole thing into Ancient Fruit, which never needs to be replanted, and have a very steady income. Also, PIGS. You can ditch all the other animals because pigs make way more money finding truffles. If you have the gathering skill at level 10, every truffle will be iridium quality, and you might get double the truffles. You can turn them into truffle oil or just sell them. Artisan products will always sell for more so if you can turn something into something else, do it.
I usually get around $30K-$70K per day. My record was $550,000 in one day. Year 3, I planted nothing but Ancient Fruit outside because it lasts through Fall. I have more money at this point than I know what to do with.

As for Skull Cavern, there is no reason to go there until you have the Galaxy Sword. (If you really want the Galaxy Sword and can't find a Prismatic Shard, there is a certain piece of wallpaper you can use that the game sees as the same ID as the shard. There's also a piece of wallpaper you can chuck into a coop incubator that will hatch out a dinosaur. These are easy to find on Google.)
If you get to year 3 and get all 4 candles lit on Grandpa's shrine, you will get a statue that showers you with iridium so it's not even worth it to go to Skull Cavern at all except for the quest challenge. I had so much money, I bought enough stone that I could make 100 staircases and got to "the bottom" that way.

Also, the golden pumpkin is just for decoration or to sell. I believe it sells for $2000.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I sold a few artisan goods today and they're worth a good chunk of money, so I'll do that to get some funds for spring and get cracking with my ancient seeds too.

Oct 27, 2017
I just started year 3 spring. Literally day 1 so I'm clearing debris from my farm and planning what I'm going to do next. Got 3 candles around the grandpa monument lit up, so I'll do a bit more work then see if I can roll for 4. I've got one coffee bean which I'll plant and about a dozen ancient fruit seeds. I've got a bunch of stuff still to finish at the community centre but my main stoppage right now is fishing. I'm level 7 but still don't feel very good at it and I haven't caught any rarer fish except a couple of squid. I guess I have no choice but to keep doing it and try to get up to level 10, although it's probably my least favourite activity. I've also got Robin currently doing the first upgrade on my house so I can actually have a kitchen!

Oct 27, 2017
Here's is the point system criteria for 4 candles:

I never said thanks for this. I re-rolled at the altar after finishing the Community Centre and get the Iridium idol.

However, I've pretty much run out of steam with this now. Now that I have completed the Community Centre I kind of feel like I don't know what I'm working towards and I can't really be bothered with the Skull Cavern. In total I've earnt about $1.5 million and I have my greenhouse filled up with Ancient Fruit, aside from a bit of space for strawberries as two rows for Starfruit. I've put Iridium sprinklers outside in preparation for Spring, but I guess the best thing is to grow more Ancient Fruit and I've already got more of those than I know what to do with. I've got a few dozen wine barrels in and around my house and the cellar is filled with maturing wine as well.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Out of nowhere this morning (PS4)

AF48-E16-D-458-F-4314-ACC6-A35-AF9-B442-B7.jpg

Feb 10, 2018
Hi, I have bought this game to play with my girlfriend, but we have some issues with coop

I bought the game with my account, which is the primary account on her console, and we have nintendo online family account.
We can both play solo fine at the same time, but when we try to play online together, I can't use my main character, I have to create a new character each time I join her game, there's no way to save my new character or use mine.

When we play "local mode", it gives me an error message saying that we can't both play using the same copy of the game.

So I thought "okay, that means that we need to pay it twice, once for each console, in order to play together" It's a bummer, but the game is $12 so why not, since we both really enjoy it.

However, when I try to buy the game with her account, it tells me that it's already bought, both on the eshop or with nintendo's website. So I don't know what to do. Anyone knows how to finally be able to play together with our characters ?

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Good news. I know people have been antsy since he hasn't updated via Twitter in over a month. I'm waiting for 1.4 before starting a new game.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Resuscitating this thread to let everyone know that the 1.4 content update is coming out for PC November 26th with consoles following soon after:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Resuscitating this thread to let everyone know that the 1.4 content update is coming out for PC November 26th with consoles following soon after:

Content-wise, nearly every aspect of the game has been expanded or improved upon in some way.

One small example is the Wild Bait…which used to be essentially worthless… but now gives you a chance to catch double fish.

There's a lot of little things like that, where I felt that the game had some holes or weak points that could use a little boost.

Another example, is that every spouse now has a unique 14-heart event after marriage:

I'm glad they're adding post marriage events. Since he mentions how Wild Bait was essentially worthless before, I wonder if any of the other essentially worthless stuff is getting buffed? Like imagine if he found a way to make the lumber perks worthwhile

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I'm glad they're adding post marriage events. Since he mentions how Wild Bait was essentially worthless before, I wonder if any of the other essentially worthless stuff is getting buffed? Like imagine if he found a way to make the lumber perks worthwhile
Thats what I'm wanting to know as well. It really sounds promising though!

I'm also hoping the economy got rebalanced a little bit to make other crops/animals more viable.

Sometimes I feel like I just get locked into growing blueberries or making ancient wine in the late game because that turns the most profit.

Either way, I just can't get enough of this game and the fact that more content is coming so far after release for free kind of is blowing my mind.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what I'm wanting to know as well. It really sounds promising though!

I'm also hoping the economy got rebalanced a little bit to make other crops/animals more viable.

Sometimes I feel like I just get locked into growing blueberries or making ancient wine in the late game because that turns the most profit.

i imagine ancient fruit wine will still reign supreme, but it'd be neat if there were a new or buffed Spring crop for year 2 and onward that has a more comparable price to Summer and Fall crops, because as it is it feels like a huge momentum killer to get out of winter and be ready to grow new crops in year 2 and realize how much less money you're raking in compared to Summer and Fall (or, more likely: Spending three weeks waiting for your Ancient Fruit to come in)

Either way, I just can't get enough of this game and the fact that more content is coming so far after release for free kind of is blowing my mind.

When it's a labor of love, it's a labor of love. (It helps, probably, that even if he only got one dollar for each sale, he'd still have like 4 million dollars, and thus he's in a position to continue his labor of love)

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
i imagine ancient fruit wine will still reign supreme, but it'd be neat if there were a new or buffed Spring crop for year 2 and onward that has a more comparable price to Summer and Fall crops, because as it is it feels like a huge momentum killer to get out of winter and be ready to grow new crops in year 2 and realize how much less money you're raking in compared to Summer and Fall (or, more likely: Spending three weeks waiting for your Ancient Fruit to come in)

When it's a labor of love, it's a labor of love. (It helps, probably, that even if he only got one dollar for each sale, he'd still have like 4 million dollars, and thus he's in a position to continue his labor of love)
Strawberries?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

At best you get 6 Strawberry harvests at a base price of 120g per Strawberry. Blueberries have at best 5 harvests, with a base price of 150g (50g per Blueberries, 3 Blueberries per harvest), so on the surface it seems like Strawberries are comparable, but they're limited by the availability of the seeds: You either bought a ton halfway through spring during the festival (cutting your harvests down to 3), or you have to use the strawberries you grow to make more seeds. Whereas Blueberries are like... just go to Pierre's and buy as many seeds as you can handle.

Blueberries also scale higher with better quality. A Gold Star Strawberry harvest + Tiller is 198g, a Gold Star Blueberry harvest + Tiller is 246g.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
At best you get 6 Strawberry harvests at a base price of 120g per Strawberry. Blueberries have at best 5 harvests, with a base price of 150g (50g per Blueberries, 3 Blueberries per harvest), so on the surface it seems like Strawberries are comparable, but they're limited by the availability of the seeds: You either bought a ton halfway through spring during the festival (cutting your harvests down to 3), or you have to use the strawberries you grow to make more seeds. Whereas Blueberries are like... just go to Pierre's and buy as many seeds as you can handle.

Blueberries also scale higher with better quality. A Gold Star Strawberry harvest + Tiller is 198g, a Gold Star Blueberry harvest + Tiller is 246g.
None of that makes them incomparable. If you're comparing profit yields, you definitely already have a stockpile of strawberry seeds from previous springs, so it shouldn't matter when you buy it

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see changing crop prices from year to year. Like maybe the sell price of strawberries in year 2 is different than year 1, so you're not always planting the same crops over and over.

Maybe even a random event, like a letter in the mail from the general store saying the prices of parsnips are skyrocketing. And if it's off season, you can dedicate a portion of your greenhouse to grow some parsnips. Stuff like that.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
None of that makes them incomparable. If you're comparing profit yields, you definitely already have a stockpile of strawberry seeds from previous springs, so it shouldn't matter when you buy it

generally when people say "comparable" they mean "almost as good if not equal to" not "one is noticeably worse when you compare them"

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
generally when people say "comparable" they mean "almost as good if not equal to" not "one is noticeably worse when you compare them"
Bullshit, lmao

First off, what is "comparable" is already subjective

Secondly, compare your numbers. If you plant 100 strawberries at the beginning of spring and get all 6 harvests, that's $118,800. If you plant 100 blueberry plants and get all 5 harvests, that's $123,000.

100 blueberry seeds is $8,000, 100 strawberry seeds is $10,000. If you don't have agriculturalist, that's another $10,000 in Speed-Gro for the 5 and 6 harvests, respectively. So at the end of spring, you've made net +$108,800/98,800 from strawberries, and net +$115,000/105,000 from blueberries at the end of summer. That's a $6,200 difference in profits. Yeah, that's worse, but at six figure profits that's a negligible difference

Plus, what if you don't have speed-gro or or agriculturalist? That's 5 strawberry harvests at $99,000, and 4 blueberry harvests at $98,400. What if you don't have tiller? Now they're both yielding $90,000, so the only profit blueberries have over strawberries are in the initial investment of seeds.

Factor in the RNG, and at 3x the fruit, blueberries have a considerably larger risk of producing more silver/bronze fruits, making them less likely to produce their maximum possible profit than strawberries.

And you don't consider that shit comparable?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Checked the patch notes. Sadly nothing in there to draw me back.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I had my fun with this game and Im not sure Ill go back for the new patch, but I do hope we see a sequel soon and that ConcernedApe can hire a staff to expand the game even more.

I want new storylines and more to do in a sequel, but it feels like that's a long ways off

OP
OP
GJ

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I want new storylines and more to do in a sequel, but it feels like that's a long ways off
Exactly. These updates are nice and all, but what I really want is a new town, new villagers, new music, a new storyline etc. A 'new' Stardew Valley. It's years off for sure, but it can't come soon enough. One of the draws of Stardew Valley for me was the sense of discovery. Meeting everyone, getting to know their stories, exploring the world, figuring out what crops to plant etc. I already know all those things after playing it on Mac, PS4 and Switch. I need a new Stardew Valley experience.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. These updates are nice and all, but what I really want is a new town, new villagers, new music, a new storyline etc. A 'new' Stardew Valley. It's years off for sure, but it can't come soon enough. One of the draws of Stardew Valley for me was the sense of discovery. Meeting everyone, getting to know their stories, exploring the world, figuring out what crops to plant etc. I already know all those things after playing it on Mac, PS4 and Switch. I need a new Stardew Valley experience.
Same here. Oh well, I just hope that ConcernedApe will have fun and will deliver a new experience, whatever it will be.

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the change to fishing. Rewarding a "perfect" catch of a silver or gold star fish by bumping its quality up one. Getting lots of Iridium quality fish early in the game for some nice extra cash.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So Ive been thinking about this and dude, THERES THIS HUGE EXPANSIVE MOD WITH NEW TOWN (wip), VILLAGERS WITH BACKSTORIES, TONS OF NEW EVENTS AND CHARACTER EVENTS, FESTIVALS, ETC!!

Its called Stardew Valley Expanded

Im so excited to try it

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
Towards the end of the first year, really enjoying some of the changes so far. It could just be in my head but I swear I'm getting more coal from the mines than I used to. The new quarry mine is a nice little addition. Same with the new desert trader.

Found squid ink which I finally realized is for dyeing clothes when using the sewing machine, but I haven't messed with that yet.

I'm using the forest map so the wood chipper is really handy since I have access to a lot of hardwood.

Oh and making the autograbber work in the coop is an excellent addition.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
you can use basically anything to dye clothes, actually!

Dying clothes is maybe a fair bit more of a hassle than it needs to be, as it turns out: I initially thought from the screen you just used any ol' item to dye it that specific color (ie - Bait would dye something Red), but what you actually have to do is use items for each dye color and it'll give you access to the gradient sliders from the beginning of the game. It's maybe not great having to use six items to dye on article of clothing, but most of the colors are super easy to come by (Bait and Sashimi are Red, Geodes and Copper Ore are Orange, Sap is Yellow, Fiber is Green, and Blackberries are Blue). Purple's a little trickier because there's nothing I've seen that's as plentiful and "I don't really need this for anything else" like the other colors. I guess maybe Refined Quartz?