• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once pigs are happy they start digging up very profitable truffles, it takes a while to get there though. I actually prefer pigs to the other livestock, they don't need any special tools like cows / sheep and they don't produce stuff so quickly that you have to constantly clean up (eggs). Very laid back, piggie farming is.

They are getting me truffles but I find them kinda meh.

Then they just don't do anything during the winter months. 30 days wasted food on them

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then they just don't do anything during the winter months. 30 days wasted food on them

At the point I was able to really invest in piggies wasting food was a non-issue. I can see it being a problem if you rush into them, but as others have said, the yield from truffles is high and pigs require literally nothing besides opening a door if you have upgraded your barn.

I'm big on automation, I have almost all of my watering and harvesting done for me, but I found grabbing all the eggs, sheering the sheep and milking the cows ate up a lot of time. It was especially annoying heading down to the coop and ending up with an inventory full of slightly different size / quality / colored eggs and having to grind them through the mayo-maker to turn a profit. Very useful early on but the last time I played I wanted the farm to basically run itself (which is why I hope in a future update they have some kind of auto-milk / sheer / egg-gather-upper thingy).

I downgraded to a few chickens (one regular, one void, think I kept a brown one around too) one duck, one rabbit, one cow, one sheep and the rest are oinkers.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not all about the money folks.

I stand by my view pigs are the worse. I'll keep em around tho.

Considering abandoning crops in full for a few seasons. clean up my farm and do a good bit of mining to finalise all the upgrades. end of Year 2 and i've upgraded feck all

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not all about the money folks.

I agree, for me it's about laziness. I've slowly automated more and more of my farm so I could do stuff I hadn't been because the watering / harvesting / feeding / petting / milking / sheering / processing just took too long. Here's what my farm ended up looking like last time I played; https://i.imgur.com/UV7wvyG.jpg . The two big main fields ("190 Total" and "170 Total") are auto-watered and auto-harvested. Everything else is watered but not harvested, and I treat those as optional depending on what I want to grow each season. It basically runs itself. For livestock, by dropping down to just piggies I just let them out and pet them as they exit and I'm done for the day. The chickens and other stuff require dealing with eggs and such (which I tend to put off). Which doesn't sound like much, but time goes quickly (and it fills up the inventory).

Considering abandoning crops in full for a few seasons. clean up my farm and do a good bit of mining to finalise all the upgrades. end of Year 2 and i've upgraded feck all

That's what winter is for.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Hey fellas, new player here, currently in Fall of the first year. I keep seeing people say that mining is very profitable and makes a lot of money but... how?

I get that you get lots of ores and minerals and geodes but what can I sell

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey fellas, new player here, currently in Fall of the first year. I keep seeing people say that mining is very profitable and makes a lot of money but... how?

I get that you get lots of ores and minerals and geodes but what can I sell
The minerals (especially the ones you can get from cracking geodes) can fetch you decent cash. The real payoff is getting metal for lucrative farm equipment like sprinklers and kegs, though.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
The minerals (especially the ones you can get from cracking geodes) can fetch you decent cash. The real payoff is getting metal for lucrative farm equipment like sprinklers and kegs, though.
Well that's disappointing. Many people I talked to were like "man, stop fishing, with mining you get wayy more money" and since I made 5-10k on a fishing day and barely 1k on a mining day, I thought I was doing something wrong
I mostly kept the minerals I got in case I needed them for gifts or something.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
I say that I enjoy the game the most when I forget about making money.

Yes, in the first couple of seasons you might struggle, mostly when trying to get new buildings. But after that I don't really mind making 10k a day or making 50k. For example, the discussion about pigs or other animals, altough pigs are the most profitable I've realized that I enjoy milking cows and goats. Petting animals eats about 2 hours of my day, but I enjoy the process, I enjoy it a lot, up to the point of feeling upset when the goats have no milk!

I don't know.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"VITA patch going live today:
*Fixed crash which could occur when using the Hoe in the mines.
*Fixed crash during Shane's 2-heart event.
*Fixed issue causing music to stop when app is hibernated/screenshot
*Fixed periodic crash which could occur after several hours of gameplay."

--------

Edit: Well, it finally happened! I triple dipped for the first time. I now own my GOTY 2016 "Stardew Valley" on Steam, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.

Cheers to additional 100+ hours of farming :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any easy way to check which recipes I've already cooked and which items I've already crafted?
In the inventory menu at the top there's a little tab that looks like a bag... in there you can check what recipes you have cooked - what items you have shipped - fish you have caught - what crops you have grown.

Is it wrong to start a new game because I haven't played in months?
Not wrong at all! I have started over 5 times... normally around the end of year 3, starting over is a lot of fun.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey so yeah a few months ago I bought this when it came to Switch. I played for a few in-game days and put it away to keep playing BOTW.

Then a week and a half ago I finally loaded it back up and I've been hooked since. It's so gosh dang fun. I LOVED the original Harvest Moon (Even though it had a save file problem on my cart that kept deleting the game and it turned me off) and owned the N64 version but didn't like it as much. I never played a HM game since. But Stardew Valley is like the real HM sequel we never got. I love it. I picked the Forest farm. Probably should have gone with something with more space but I like the trees.

I'm in year 3 now. I'm not even married yet. I've kind of been courting Penny but I'm not sure. It would either have been Penny or Leah. But I went with Penny. I just haven't jumped into the whole dating thing yet. She's only at 3 hearts right now. I guess you need a lot more because she kind of turned me down when I asked her to dance in the Spring. That really kind of hurt. So I guess I'll just keep giving her diamonds from my duplication machine as it spits one out every 5 days.

So far I just plant whatever crops I feel like. At first I would go for money makers, now I just pick a bunch of each of the good stuff. Eventually I might just go with the stuff that keeps growing and a large batch of the current seasons "big" crop. I started with no sprinklers and it was such a chore. No time for anything else. Eventually I got animals too. Chickens, then cows, ducks, sheep, a pig, rabbits. I have all of them. But for a while they were a chore until I finally crafted a few sprinklers. I have 6 Iridium ones and a bunch more of the second tier ones. They help SO much. I don't have to water anymore. So all I have to do every day is tend to the animals then some random things around the farm then I have the rest of the day for whatever.

I spent a lot of time in the Mines and got all the way to the bottom. Got the key. Now I just visit from time to time for ores or to try and fill my Adventurer's Guild points.

I fixed the bus. The desert is nice but I failed the Skull Cavern so badly. I was able to get to like floor 10 but then died because I wasn't paying attention to my HP. Oops. I don't go back much because it's too much work to get all my chores done then go pay 500G to take the bus to the desert. But it's there at least. I plan on at least making it to floor 25 for the quest. I also really want Iridium. It's so rare. I hate it. But I really want to replace my sprinklers with all Iridium ones and put some in the greenhouse, which I also unlocked but don't use much right now because it's a chore to water in there and I don't have any iron for more sprinklers. Eventually I will. It's nice to have the option.

I only have the Aquarium part of the Community Center to finish. I have 4 fish left. A few I can only get in the fall or winter and one is in the mines. No luck so far but hopefully I'll do it. Speaking of fishing, at first I HATED fishing. I didn't understand how it worked like at all. Eventually I figured out what it looked like I was supposed to do but couldn't do it. Then I found a comment on a YouTube video about leveling up in the hidden forest lake. OMG, it worked so well. I was up to level 1 in no time. Then 2. Now I'm up to 6, almost 7 with the best rod. I love fishing now. But apparently tackle breaks after some time? Because I had one and it disappeared without fanfare or a message. That sucks. But whatever.

Speaking of big crops. I got a Giant Melon to spawn on day one in the first year (Exactly as the melons finished growing) but haven't had one happen since. Shame. Even with my iridium sprinklers. Oh well. Maybe once I put some iridium sprinklers in the greenhouse I'll grow some if the major crops and let them sit and see if they all eventually turn into big ones.

And I'm not even bothering with the Joja stuff. I've gone in a couple times to look but screw it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I'm in year 3 now. I'm not even married yet. I've kind of been courting Penny but I'm not sure. It would either have been Penny or Leah. But I went with Penny. I just haven't jumped into the whole dating thing yet. She's only at 3 hearts right now. I guess you need a lot more because she kind of turned me down when I asked her to dance in the Spring. That really kind of hurt. So I guess I'll just keep giving her diamonds from my duplication machine as it spits one out every 5 days.
Wow. I'm in fall year one, started gifting mayo to everyone at the start of fall and doing some quests, and by the 25th I have 7 hearts with Marnie already, and 4+ hearts with a couple others

Do the missions in Pierre's store, most of them give 1 heart of friendship upon completion. And everyone loves mayo, except the kids, and you get it everyday

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wow. I'm in fall year one, started gifting mayo to everyone at the start of fall and doing some quests, and by the 25th I have 7 hearts with Marnie already, and 4+ hearts with a couple others

Do the missions in Pierre's store, most of them give 1 heart of friendship upon completion. And everyone loves mayo, except the kids, and you get it everyday
I just don't have any time. I'm a busy farmer. I'm waiting until I save up a shitload of money so I can settle down with a family and retire.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Grandpa can rest in peace now XD

Got Statue of Perfection.

This game is awesome :) Looking forward the updates on the Switch version.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have so much money I could take a whole season or even year off from farming and just concentrate on my other skills. Like maxing out fishing, finishing the last 4 fish slots in the Community Center, building up a relationship with Penny, grinding in the desert mines. I'd still have to tend to the animals though. I could sell them but I don't want to. So I'd still spend a few minutes taking care of them before heading off wherever I go.

Is it silly to upgrade to the best house if you aren't married yet?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
No, because you get a cellar as the last upgrade :)
I don't even have enough resources to fill up the shed I have with kegs and preserves jars, and I have no interest in aging anything. It's a waste of time when I could make so much more by stocking up on melons and filling my greenhouse with them and making melon juice constantly.

Edit: Sweet. I just finished the Community Center. All I needed was the Aquarium. Tonight I was down to just a Walleye and a Ghostfish. I headed to the Mines to try and hunt ghosts because I thought fishing would be harder. I saw one ghost the entire time and didn't get a fish. Went to sleep and what luck, woke up to a rainy day. So I took care of my animals and went to the river to fish expecting it to take a few days. Caught a Walleye on the second try. Only took two game hours. So I headed to floor 60 of the Mines and cast my rod and caught a Ghostfish on the first try.

Now I just need to find a few more items to donate to the museum so I can go into the sewers.

Last edited:

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't even have enough resources to fill up the shed I have with kegs and preserves jars, and I have no interest in aging anything. It's a waste of time when I could make so much more by stocking up on melons and filling my greenhouse with them and making melon juice constantly.

Edit: Sweet. I just finished the Community Center. All I needed was the Aquarium. Tonight I was down to just a Walleye and a Ghostfish. I headed to the Mines to try and hunt ghosts because I thought fishing would be harder. I saw one ghost the entire time and didn't get a fish. Went to sleep and what luck, woke up to a rainy day. So I took care of my animals and went to the river to fish expecting it to take a few days. Caught a Walleye on the second try. Only took two game hours. So I headed to floor 60 of the Mines and cast my rod and caught a Ghostfish on the first try.

Now I just need to find a few more items to donate to the museum so I can go into the sewers.
I'm sure that having animals is more time-wasting than aging wine :D

Aging is a neat little extra income that is mostly a passive activity.

Last edited:

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Thought I'd finished my museum collection but the trophy didn't pop.
I have three empty spaces in the museum, looked at a guide and it said I should have seven empty? So now I'm really confused.
My artefacts and minerals tabs are full. No idea why I have more stuff than you supposedly should have yet it still isn't counted as complete?

Edit: turns out there were three items I'd obtained but not donated like Emerald.
But I'm still not sure why the wiki says you should end with 7 empty slots.

Last edited:

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Thought I'd finished my museum collection but the trophy didn't pop.
I have three empty spaces in the museum, looked at a guide and it said I should have seven empty? So now I'm really confused.
My artefacts and minerals tabs are full. No idea why I have more stuff than you supposedly should have yet it still isn't counted as complete?

Edit: turns out there were three items I'd obtained but not donated like Emerald.
But I'm still not sure why the wiki says you should end with 7 empty slots.
Maybe there's another shelf you didn't notice or something

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
anyone got a link for anime character portraits or something @_@?

You can browse through the mods on the nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/categories/6/

or the official stardew valley forums:
https://community.playstarbound.com/forums/sdv-mods-art/

And see if you find something you like. A word of warning though: A lot of folks did, like, new anime portraits for the original ten marriage candidates and no one else, so it may get kind of annoying when you find a style you like but it doesn't have the full town.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Where is everyone? The multiplayer patch is out of beta for PC.

Oh...I guess I just answered my own question.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, is it worth getting back into it? Not interested in the multiplayer, just want to start a new solo save.

Assuming that you have a PC (MacOS and Linux too I think, but check first if you have the last two), there's a fair amount of new single player content too in the just released version 1.3.27 - here's the version history (spoilers of course) -

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Version_History

I'd say it's worth getting back into it for that alone but, of course, YMMV.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
How many tries did it take people to catch the Legend fish?
It feels impossible! I've got iridium rod, trap bobber, dish o the sea etc, and i'm generally ok at the fishing, but he jumps up and down the meter so quickly and erratically it's impossible to keep him in the green for more than half a second.

Edit: Got him! Weirdly, I was playing on a lucky day, hooked about 8 of them in a day of fishing, but landed none.
Reloaded the game, got an unlucky day, didn't hook any for hours and hours then landed the first one I hooked.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Started playing again the other day. I'm in Summer of year 4 now.

I swear the beginning of the season is so stressful because I keep trying to cram everything into one day. But it's impossible to get everything done in one day when your farm gets really big. So I decided to just take it easy and for now I'm just going to grow two things. The major crop for the season (Melon, Cauliflower, Pumpkin) and whatever the biggest money maker for that season is that I can get. Or something that grows over and over.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to use Deluxe Speed-Pro or not. I always have but it's like 150G per tile. But it really cuts down on the initial growth time. Does anyone else skip it? Also what crops do you prefer for money making?

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to use Deluxe Speed-Pro or not. I always have but it's like 150G per tile. But it really cuts down on the initial growth time. Does anyone else skip it? Also what crops do you prefer for money making?

You can use this site to check out yourself:
http://exnil.github.io/crop_planner/

Some crops don't benefit at all from speed boosters since at the end of season they would have the same amount of harvests. In some the deluxe or the normal will have the same amount of harvests.

Since you are at year 4, do you have ancient seeds already? For me it's the best money maker crop.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Time to jump back in!

I like taking these games seriously when I'm playing them singleplayer. I'll make a character I like, self-insert a little, and really get into the experience.

Multiplayer, though?

hiiiiiii8sc2q.png

my buddies shouldn't have made me host LMAO

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Since you are at year 4, do you have ancient seeds already? For me it's the best money maker crop.
A few. I have them in my Greenhouse but only like 4 or so. The rest of the space I just keep filling with Star Fruit when it blooms and occasionally Rare Seeds. (Yeah, I know they grow in fall and I should have been gathering them up all year to grow now but I didn't really think of that until the other day. Oh well. Haha) I don't happen upon Ancient Seeds very often. My Greenhouse has 112 spots to plant them. I also have two of each fruit tree around the edges. (I'm on Switch so I can't use the optimal layout of putting them in corners. Switch has a lot of bugs. Especially with UI and controls.)

Purple truffles is like the most valuable thing in the game.
Yeah. They are sooooo valuable. 8 Iridium Truffles are worth 10000G. Leveling up your foraging skills to the highest level and picking Gatherer and Botanist is the best thing to do. Everything you forage will be Iridium quality and worth the most money. Soooooo good. The hay you "waste" on the pigs in the winter is nothing compared to the thousands of dollars they'll make you during the rest of the year. The more pigs you have, the more you get. Right now I have 5 pigs giving me 10 Iridium Truffles a day. That's 12500G a day * 28 * 3. Of course they don't do anything on rainy days, but optimally they'd give you about a million gold a year.

Last edited: