• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lighting
• Look Development
• Art Direction (lighting + mood)
--
I created the lighting for the 2021 teaser trailer of Starfield. Using our own Creation Engine 2, we created this entirely in game without any cinematic tools. Working closely with director, Istvan Pely, I assisted in art direction for anything lighting and mood related.

keith-beltramini-starfield-teaser-012.jpg

keith-beltramini-starfield-teaser-002.jpg

keith-beltramini-starfield-teaser-010.jpg

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
What's on that sandwich? Lettuce, cheese and...salami?

Where do they keep the cows? Is there a Citadel like hub? Is it lab grown? So many questions.

Looks good though.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe this is in game. That engine is amazing. Also the lighting artist is super talented..saw some of his previous work posted in the Xbox OT.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I'm going to have a room dedicated to having 1000 sandwiches in it. The most interesting aspect from the trailer is that ladders are climb able.

I am so eager to see what the big cities/colonies are going to look in this game.

Last edited:

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care, I just want better gameplay which they haven't done since FO3

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It'd be awesome if the game looks like that! So many people thought it was CGI.

I don't really care, I just want better gameplay which they haven't done since FO3
What are you talking about? Skyrim and FO4 have better gameplay than FO3. Heck, FO76's gameplay is so much better, too.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yes, please.
But oh dear god, please have figured out the menus and inventory somehow.
Please? It's a testament how great the worlds are that I suffer through that mess over. And over. And over.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Damn lol. That's wild then. I'm actually looking forward to this because I do like the fallout games, but I'm not a huge fan of the setting so the same kind of game but in a space setting is really good for me. The thing I liked the least about skyrim was the setting as well so this is all good news.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It looked great and the trailer left me interested in seeing more, especially the general design of future elements. More the general mundane than the giant bases. I want to see how well they flesh out that world in detail, and this was off to a good start.

What's on that sandwich? Lettuce, cheese and...salami?
Lettuce, Cheese, Salami and Bread
7 + 6 + 6 + 3 + 5

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to seeing gameplay. These types of trailers rarely do anything for me, whether they're CGI, in engine, whatever.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Game looks really good Im def keeping an eye on it.
Also I legit cant stop reading Starfield as Seinfeld lmao

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Damn that's impressive
such a massive leap from FO76 graphically it's insane
amazing what a generational jump can do

Aug 31, 2019
Can someone explain what a cinematic tool is, in context of this quote? I haven't had my coffee yet, but what are they not using that makes it impressive?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Will it have cheese wheels though?

And how will the framerate hold up when I spawn 10.000 of them?

These are the important questions.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Quite impressive. It looks like a sizeable jump from Bethesda's previous engine, assuming that similar lighting will be present in game.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I just wish it was real gameplay. Not, "in game without any cinematic tools" like this lighting artist says. What does that even mean?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
If there was one game that helped Microsoft decide whether or not to buy Bethesda, I bet it was this.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand that was in game but there wasn't much of it.

They used a ton of concept art in the trailers, with moving objects like spaceships animated on top, it was ridiculous. I didn't even realize this game was officially announced in 2018.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Game of the conference. That fidelity over 100s of hours of gameplay spanning multiple planets. Can't wait.

May 21, 2018
I'm curious about whether they're using a GI solution like UE5's Lumen or if they're just going hardware raytracing like many games that require RTX cards and such.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Game should be less janky with Microsoft money flowing in, right?
if anything not working on a Playstation version of the game will contribute more work into it being less jank.
Unless Microsoft is the reason why the game is late 2022 and not earlier.

throwing money at it wont ever fix jank but its part of the time and resources puzzle

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
It'd be awesome if the game looks like that! So many people thought it was CGI

I know. So many people who think they have a valid opinion on this kind of thing complain so much about CGI when they don't even know the difference between CGI and in engine footage.

I mean, it was plastered all over the trailer that it was in engine. Hines and others have stated that multiple times too.

Baffling really.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It being in engine isn't surprising at all, AAA engines these days are amazing. Proof will be in the pudding in terms of what can actually be achieved in terms of real time cinematics and gameplay on consumer hardware. Can't help but feel if the game really looked this good they'd have shown the actual game.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It being in engine isn't surprising at all, AAA engines these days are amazing. Proof will be in the pudding in terms of what can actually be achieved in terms of real time cinematics and gameplay on consumer hardware. Can't help but feel if the game really looked this good they'd have shown the actual game.
Cause the game is still a year and a half away, so instead of pulling the team away from that to make a vertical slice for the trailer now. They can do something like this.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good but still have no sense of what this game is going for. My mind can come up with all sorts of scenarios based on "Skyrim in space" but chances are it can quickly veer into unrealistic expectations. But hey, at least it looks pretty.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
But this isn't just "in engine." The teaser trailer literally says "alpha in-game footage." Bethesda isn't really known for making trailers that promise better visuals than the game has. Skyrim got its first gameplay trailer 9 months before the release. I expect Starfield will get a real trailer in half a year.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Not a surprise I would've said. But seeing so many believing this is CGI on here, this comes as a surprise to some, even though even the trailer says in-game xD

I still can't believe this is in game. That engine is amazing. Also the lighting artist is super talented..saw some of his previous work posted in the Xbox OT.
I was surprised to see such a massive upgrade, even though they talked about this engine overhaul to be the biggest in a very long time.