• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Redfall also has full Japanese localization . Japanese voice acting etc. Like in the vid

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
For comparison, Skyrim had 60k lines and that game was MASSIVE.
The thing is, no matter how many lines they have, if what characters say is not interesting, dont feel different from each other and have some charisma, it can be 60 or 150k, it will be boring as fuck.

Skyrim only became actually interesting in the writting department when you downloaded the Interesting NPCs mod, and that was not done by them, so...
I hope they actually hire good writters for this.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
That's a lot of lines. Hope they're actually good, too.

Just saying the game has a metric fuckton of lines is about the same as saying the game world is a million, trillion square kilometers big, to me. Quality over quantity, Todd.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
This "we have over 150k dialogue lines!" has the same meaning as Ubisoft saying "This game's world is the biggest we have created yet"

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Almost worthless metric. It's like companies still touting a map FIVER BAJILLION MILES ACROSS.
It's the content that matters

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of dialogue, even if shit, says quite a lot about a game's scope and focus. So I don't think the world size comparison is particularly apt.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just show the game already.
Do we have to update this one?
Let us wait and see. But we should keep our expectations for Starfield in check. I just hope it's Skyrim in space. That's all I want. It will most likely have all the Bethesda problems as well, but that's okay as long as it isn't completely broken.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Mircosoft follows Sony steps and embrace the MENA market by localizing every major release in Arabic.
Sony has been great in that regard and it is paying off

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Just have decent gameplay this time please, I tried so many times to get into skyrim over the past decade and I just can't get past the horrible gameplay/combat.

Edwin.abr19

Sep 26, 2021
Just the sheer amount of dialogue compared to other Bethesda games and it's surface level promises of "Elder Scrolls in space" has me extremely hyped for what could be but I need to keep my expectations in check. Need that gameplay reveal

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Hope protagonist isn't voiced again. Felt so limiting in fallout 4 and even mods couldn't fix it

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, no matter how many lines they have, if what characters say is not interesting, dont feel different from each other and have some charisma, it can be 60 or 150k, it will be boring as fuck.

Skyrim only became actually interesting in the writting department when you downloaded the Interesting NPCs mod, and that was not done by them, so...
I hope they actually hire good writters for this.
I just hope it means NPC's will have more than three things they say and that's it. I just don't want to hear the same lines in this game over and over and over. If more lines help with that, I'll happily take it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
i can't imagine how people will react if this game is a solid 85 MC. Because so far people seem to be going into this game very. negative and doubtful.
150k dialogue however makes me wonder how much is audio logs dealing with the past and how much is present day.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope it means NPC's will have more than three things they say and that's it. I just don't want to hear the same lines in this game over and over and over. If more lines help with that, I'll happily take it.
I think even their important characters when they have more lines, they still feel flat. I didnt enjoy their writing on Fallout 3, and much less in Skyrim. Then you play a Fallout game actually written well, like New Vegas, and the difference is night and day.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
lol come on people. Todd didn't say this like STARFIELD HAS SO MANY LINES! As much as, across this huge number of lines that Starfield has, we've localized ALL OF IT in Japanese (a language that a relatively small minority of players will choose to play it in, I would imagine). That's a huge investment in time and money. Which is good! Hoping for good language support across the board from Bethesda and XGS games moving forward.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Good to see Xbox getting more serious about being a global brand. Their localization efforts in the past havent been great.

Also Starfield is gonna be massive. Show me the game Todd!

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Do we know if Emil Pagliarulo is writing this one too or are they finally switching things up for a change?

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Wonder if Starfield will start it's own dialogue memes (ala Arrow to the Knee).

:P

I was a cartographer once, but I took a displacer beam to the elbow...

*grabs coat*

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just have decent gameplay this time please, I tried so many times to get into skyrim over the past decade and I just can't get past the horrible gameplay/combat.
Play ranged/mage for somewhat decent combat. But yeah, melee is pretty bad. Starfield being sci-fi and (probably) more ranged focused in its combat gives me hope though. Fallout 4 had somewhat solid shooting mechanics. It was a huge step up from Fallou 3+NV and if the can further improve that and add some better enemy AI and behaviour it could be fun.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
lol come on people. Todd didn't say this like STARFIELD HAS SO MANY LINES! As much as, across this huge number of lines that Starfield has, we've localized ALL OF IT in Japanese (a language that a relatively small minority of players will choose to play it in, I would imagine). That's a huge investment in time and money. Which is good! Hoping for good language support across the board from Bethesda and XGS games moving forward.
Skyrim already had a japanese dub (and spanish, french, german...), this is nothing new. Microsoft even helps more in budgets by usually localizing their first party games to multiple languages. Sony is usually the best at this, dubbing everything, and then microsoft usually everythign, though they had a very dark age during halo 2, and then theres Nintendo which just... takes strange decissions in what to dub into multiple languages and what not.

The (bad and unwelcome) surprise would have been if with microsoft they decided to return to not do any dubbing. But maybe is good to actually have reconfirmation of it though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Do we know if Emil Pagliarulo is writing this one too or are they finally switching things up for a change?

he changed his twitter bio from lead writer to lead design director a while ago.... so it might be possible hes not gonna be the lead writer this time around, but there is no info on it yet.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the quantity of lines of dialogue was ever a problem in Bethesda's RPGs...

Bragging about how many Bethesda dialogue lines you have is kind of like bragging about how many more soggy fries come with a fast-food meal.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This "we have over 150k dialogue lines!" has the same meaning as Ubisoft saying "This game's world is the biggest we have created yet"

I don't agree. You can make a huge world that is very samey by copy pasting or procedurally generating structures or entire cities. But every dialogue line has to actually be written by someone, an then spoken by someone else, with a unique voice.

A big world can be empty or repetitive, but many lines implies a lot of unique man made content, lots of quests and/or dialogue options.

Doesn't mean it will be good quality, but I wouldn't compare it with big open world maps.