• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped story progression for a while and to get mods from ruins/wreckages, and it quickly helped the damage output. Upgrading the damage done by Fox's special (the initial fire support when the allies come flying in) also does wonders. I finished the second giant boss once its weak point opened once.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Stark Link is the best Star Fox games since 64 and, although quite generic in open world design, it represents the best direction for the IP to head in.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I love this game. Wish it did better so they'd make more and make merch (not game accessories)!

Cambot

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game for Switch (starter pack) during the Black Friday sale and just cracked it open a couple days ago. It's fun! But then I ordered literally every accessory when it was half-off, and now I'm afraid to go home from work because there are going to be so many plastic things that got delivered today and my wife will question my sanity!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I bought this game for Switch (starter pack) during the Black Friday sale and just cracked it open a couple days ago. It's fun! But then I ordered literally every accessory when it was half-off, and now I'm afraid to go home from work because there are going to be so many plastic things that got delivered today and my wife will question my sanity!

If you bought an extra grip, dock that Switch and play together! I don't know if you play co-op if you can have one player play with ships and the other play digitally since once you attach the ship/pilot/part once, you have it for about a week digitally.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is currently the best way to buy the game to maximize content to dollars without ever having to buy toys? I believe the Deluxe version negates any need for the toys, correct? If so, I'll pick it up. What about the Collection DLC? is that just more single player content?

I also don't know if I'd really want to play that sort of game on the go, so how are the Bone and PS4 versions? It seems like a perfect game for playing on the Bone while chilling on the couch. Is there any local multiplayer whatsoever?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
What is currently the best way to buy the game to maximize content to dollars without ever having to buy toys? I believe the Deluxe version negates any need for the toys, correct? If so, I'll pick it up. What about the Collection DLC? is that just more single player content?

I also don't know if I'd really want to play that sort of game on the go, so how are the Bone and PS4 versions? It seems like a perfect game for playing on the Bone while chilling on the couch. Is there any local multiplayer whatsoever?

Most people can get buy with the Standard Digital game. The Deluxe only seems to come with one extra ship, 3 pilots, and a few weapons. Unless you really want to fly the Nadir or use certain pilots/weapons, you can go with standard. They do have freebie weekends where they will let you try someone for free and you can always buy it piece-meal if you really like it.

DLC Collection is just all the ships and weapons. (So far) any additional content like enemies or missions are free along with the upcoming Starfox stuff.

If you get toys, they unlock in your game for a week before needing to reattach them. The games are the same, digital or physical, they ask if you want to use toys or not. Heck, I played with some toys on my digital copy for the heck of it.

There is 2 player co-op (Switch has to be docked).

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, this is the best deal for Starlink (Newegg, $15). Question for everyone: I have all 3 consoles, so witch to get? Leaning towards Switch bc Fox, however does it run/look ok on there? Also leaning towards Xbox one X too. Thoughts?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Ok, this is the best deal for Starlink (Newegg, $15). Question for everyone: I have all 3 consoles, so witch to get? Leaning towards Switch bc Fox, however does it run/look ok on there? Also leaning towards Xbox one X too. Thoughts?

How do you feel about Starfox? That is the biggest question. There are a few missions and a few more coming exclusive to the Switch.

Outside of that, will you play it on the go? I played it a lot portable and loved it. Pop-in wasn't the worst and had no complaints. Haven't installed the PS4 version yet though so I don't know how they compare. Though I've heard the other consoles have better draw range and more grass like flora in the environment.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
How do you feel about Starfox? That is the biggest question. There are a few missions and a few more coming exclusive to the Switch.

Outside of that, will you play it on the go? I played it a lot portable and loved it. Pop-in wasn't the worst and had no complaints. Haven't installed the PS4 version yet though so I don't know how they compare. Though I've heard the other consoles have better draw range and more grass like flora in the environment.

Not too big on the Star Fox thing. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the XBO version for the enhancements. Thanks for the input!

Oct 27, 2017
I am also thorn between the switch version and the xbox one one. Would like to play as fox but I would also like to collect the achievements. Is there any missables achievements?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I am also thorn between the switch version and the xbox one one. Would like to play as fox but I would also like to collect the achievements. Is there any missables achievements?

I am going to do the same with PS4 version but I main the Switch. I think people are saying it is about a 3/4 out of 10 difficulty to get them all with only ONE missable (if you clear all the planets, Primes will no longer appear). But if you go physical, you may need a weapon type of each kind cause they mention some effects like Stasis and Vortex status which aren't in the base game. Also two co-op trophies but you can do that with a spare controller doing nothing.

Most of it seems like you will do if you are trying different weapons and playing through the entire game.

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to do the same with PS4 version but I main the Switch. I think people are saying it is about a 3/4 out of 10 difficulty to get them all with only ONE missable (if you clear all the planets, Primes will no longer appear). But if you go physical, you may need a weapon type of each kind cause they mention some effects like Stasis and Vortex status which aren't in the base game. Also two co-op trophies but you can do that with a spare controller doing nothing.

Most of it seems like you will do if you are trying different weapons and playing through the entire game.
Thank you for the infos :)

Feb 10, 2018
In Europe there's a quite big price drop right now, the standard version is 25€ on the Eshop

I bought it, I hope I won't regret it (yeah, I just bought it for the Starfox tie in)

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I just got the starter pack for Switch delivered from Newegg for $15 yesterday. This game is pretty damn cool. I look forward to the new updates next month.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What in the world? The game is actually really good, a ton of fun.

Bought it on a whim without seeing much about it beforehand and it constantly surprises me with the amount of content, integration of Star Fox and just generally great production values.

Best Starfox game in decades, and a great space exploration game in general.

Big thumbs up.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
What in the world? The game is actually really good, a ton of fun.

Bought it on a whim without seeing much about it beforehand and it constantly surprises me with the amount of content, integration of Star Fox and just generally great production values.

Best Starfox game in decades, and a great space exploration game in general.

Big thumbs up.

Agreed on all counts. It was my 2018 Switch GOTY. Im taking a break from it until all the new content drops but I can't wait to jump back in.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the main campaign, love this game, really addictive to just go and doing shit around in the planets.
The best part of the combat is the Primes and Mothership raids, but the dog fight bosses leave a lot to be desired.

I have a question tho, during the game's cinematics there is a TON of characters that....are never introduced? like the little cat...uh, person, who is smaller than even the Star fox characters and some guy who is told to "calm down" during a cinematic, i don't think they even have toys unlike Kharl or Eli.

What's up with that?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Just beat the main campaign, love this game, really addictive to just go and doing shit around in the planets.
The best part of the combat is the Primes and Mothership raids, but the dog fight bosses leave a lot to be desired.

I have a question tho, during the game's cinematics there is a TON of characters that....are never introduced? like the little cat...uh, person, who is smaller than even the Star fox characters and some guy who is told to "calm down" during a cinematic, i don't think they even have toys unlike Kharl or Eli.

What's up with that?

Aren't they probably like planned toys that never came out (and will never come out because the game didn't do well)?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they probably like planned toys that never came out (and will never come out because the game didn't do well)?

But they don't exist as digital downloads either, maybe they'll be part of the April update? I doubt Slippy, Falco and Peppy will get toys so it's possible?

On a unrelated note, this game not having gyro controls is a HUGE missed opportunity in the Switch, the ship is literally mounted into a Joy con mount, it would be perfect to make your ship swerve by actually swerving your toy ship.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's still weird to me that they invested all this technology in the special grip and these pilots and weapons and ships (and the ships are pretty cool) and the game plays so much better and is so much cheaper just buying it all digitally. And you can't mix and match either.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's still weird to me that they invested all this technology in the special grip and these pilots and weapons and ships (and the ships are pretty cool) and the game plays so much better and is so much cheaper just buying it all digitally. And you can't mix and match either.

It's even weirder when you get the Switch version which includes a ship (Zennith) only available by playing digital (since your pack in toy ship is the Arwing), so if you want to have that option you have to play without the mount.

But i think they had the right idea by making the Toy Ships be actually a toy kids could have fun with even with out the game since they are legit modular toys.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to reply twice in a row, but after a little digging i found out the cat creature, Startail, does have a toy, she happened to be a timed exclusive for Europe but with the toys to life element of the game not doing well im assuming she's never gonna be brought to this continent.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think there's like five extra pilots total? I can't see the toys coming over but they should be able to release them digitally. At least, I'm assuming the starfox characters are going to be digital only. I wonder how that's going to work with the physical toys.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's like five extra pilots total? I can't see the toys coming over but they should be able to release them digitally. At least, I'm assuming the starfox characters are going to be digital only. I wonder how that's going to work with the physical toys.

Im hoping they'll be release digitally with the spring update, totally assuming as well that Peppy, Slippy and Falco will be digital only (the update was said to be free after all) so i don't see why they wouldn't do that to everyone else.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Just a heads up, due to no future plans on the merch of this game,Best buy has all the add-ons for this on sale. $3 if you want add ons and characters.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Im hoping they'll be release digitally with the spring update, totally assuming as well that Peppy, Slippy and Falco will be digital only (the update was said to be free after all) so i don't see why they wouldn't do that to everyone else.
did they actually explicitly say the big Star Fox/Racing update was free?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I feel it is a travesty that Star Fox isn't included in the Collection 2 bundle and we aren't getting toys of the ships and pilots. They are some of the coolest ones yet!

I feel like the weapons aren't too new outside having more than one Imploding weapon which is nice.

did they actually explicitly say the big Star Fox/Racing update was free?

Yes

D48MAQkW0AEzsls.jpg

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Star rated enemies don't fuck around!

Feel like Primes also plant extractors at a much faster rate, getting overwhelmed is much easier now.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Just finished my first race in ̶S̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶F̶o̶x̶ ̶G̶P̶ err Crimson Moon. Pretty fun!

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Are the star rated just on Crimson Moon? I restarted my game on Hard difficulty and haven't seen any.

No, they are everywhere, Dreadnoughts, Primes and Extractors are star rated too and new Outlaw super enemies roam every planet.

Be adviced, there is one thing the trailer didn't tell you they added, a new move performed by holding the boost and shield button, it's a ramming attack and you need it to fight the new Outlaw Tank enemies.

Kinda feel like they only appear in the after game since basically they will fuck any character not in at least level 30 with easy. the upside is they give much more experience so you can master ships and weapons faster.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Been struggling with the first star fox mission.
The one with the refinery in space.
Any tips how to deal with the beams?

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I haven't quite sunken my teeth in yet but I have to say this free update is perfect, pretty much what I hoped for. New planets to explore (moon technically) but with new gameplay loops as well.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys, the concept attracts me, because the ins and out of planets are seamless, but different than No Man Sky for example, it has a story, missions and focus on combat. However the price on pc is very high..... So, to those that played the game, is it worth it? Even without the Star Fox content?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Ok guys, the concept attracts me, because the ins and out of planets are seamless, but different than No Man Sky for example, it has a story, missions and focus on combat. However the price on pc is very high..... So, to those that played the game, is it worth it? Even without the Star Fox content?

I haven't played any of the NEW SF content but original had Fox, the ship, and maybe a mission or two (it wasn't much in my 20+ hours of play). The game is good, plus it has some cool Star Fox stuff.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hi guys, both digital versions of the game are half off again so I thought I'd finally buy it but I don't know which way to go: do base and the Star Fox expansion or deluxe and wait on the sf expansion? Thoughts? TheMoon

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hi guys, both digital versions of the game are half off again so I thought I'd finally buy it but I don't know which way to go: do base and the Star Fox expansion or deluxe and wait on the sf expansion? Thoughts? TheMoon
Just get the SF content. Ships and weapons are kind of a waste.

About the SF missions from gamefaqs:
It's 4 missions with each mission being about 10-15 minutes long. The last mission was pretty cool, but the other 3 were just decent. It's cool playing with the other Starfox members, but honestly, it feels like the four of them and these extra missions should have just been a part of the base game

remember the racing mode and new enemy stuff is free DLC that you get anyway. the SF DLC is just the character pilots and those missions. you could also just wait and see how much you like the base game first before you get more pilots that you only should get if you're really into the Star Fox angle of things as pilots don't really do anything special either (just more to level up).

Kotaku has a write-up: https://kotaku.com/starlinks-latest-update-confirms-star-fox-is-still-the-1834508848
>>>>>>>>>>

"In honor of the DLC, I started a new game on my Switch, playing the game from the beginning as Slippy Toad because I love that whiny little tech head. His performance is adorable when he's not busy falling asleep at the flight yoke. OK, it's adorable then, too. It makes me want to play through the entire game as Peppy and Falco as well, to see what they say and do in different situations.​
The three new playable heroes come with a trio of new enemies to battle. When visiting the "Crimson Moon," the mysterious bandit planet that hosts activities like racing and the arena that came with this week's free multiplatform DLC, members of Team Star Fox receive a strange package. It's a Cornerian Cake, and inside is a challenge from a trio of Team Star Wolf baddies. Leon the chameleon, Pigma the pig, and Andrew the monkey have arrived in Atlas and are attempting to harness the power of the game's main antagonists, the Forgotten Legion, for their own gain.​
Three new enemies equal three exciting new boss encounters, each tailored to the unique abilities of a member of Team Star Fox. In a tank battle against Andrew, for example, Slippy must use his special ability to confuse enemies and pit them against each other in order to damage the monkey's tank. The battle can be played with any of Starlink's pilots, but Slippy makes it easy.​
It's a pity the DLC adventure is over so quickly. As with the Star Fox content included at launch, these special themed encounters are some of the most unique in Starlink. After taking down countless enemy extractors, raiding samey spaceborne bases and battling the same handful of enemies over and over again, it's so refreshing to play through something tailored and original."​
<<<<<<<<<<

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

Remember, the Star Fox pack is ONLY giving you pilots. Missions are free. So only buy Star Fox if you want to play as Slippy, Peppy, or Falco.

Pilots give you unique abilities. Ships have wings and some differences in hull/speed/etc., they are also your lives before you have to fix everything. Weapons are weapons. Ships & weapons can be leveled up to give you XP to spend on your Pilot. Best bet is look at the abilities of the pilots that are in the bonus stuff and see if that is worth it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah I'll just go base then and wait till I have more budget to grab the Star Fox mission and pilots because I'd love to have the entire team. Thanks you guys

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Remember, the Star Fox pack is ONLY giving you pilots. Missions are free. So only buy Star Fox if you want to play as Slippy, Peppy, or Falco.

Pilots give you unique abilities. Ships have wings and some differences in hull/speed/etc., they are also your lives before you have to fix everything. Weapons are weapons. Ships & weapons can be leveled up to give you XP to spend on your Pilot. Best bet is look at the abilities of the pilots that are in the bonus stuff and see if that is worth it.
The SF DLC characters get specialized mission content too.

Yeah I'll just go base then and wait till I have more budget to grab the Star Fox mission and pilots because I'd love to have the entire team. Thanks you guys
I edited the previous post in the mean time^^

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So there's something you guys overlooked: the three additional pilots are from the 3 factions you need to unlock the upgrades in three of the trees. Not super big deal but a little annoying

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
So there's something you guys overlooked: the three additional pilots are from the 3 factions you need to unlock the upgrades in three of the trees. Not super big deal but a little annoying

Doesn't the base game have one of each faction?

I pretty much only played as Shaid and thought I had all the Equinox unlocks unlocked.

Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing this for real over the weekend, even though I've owned the digital deluxe since forever. Looooove the gameplay loop. I'm exploring the third planet, been playing as Fox exclusively, and have him leveled up to 10 already. Just a fun, chill game for me to be playing right now! <3