• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll admit it, I bought this game simply because I'm a big StarFox nerd and I liked the ship. Played for an hour or something, and the game is pretty cool nonetheless. Nothing spectacular about it but so far it's pretty fun. StarFox integration is surprisingly great and doesn't feel too much tacked on.

Can I play the whole campaign with my dude McCloud? Or is he going to disappear once the Wolf storyline is done? So far, it seems I'm doing the game's main story, simply with Fox, which is fine by me. I see it as a weird spin-off and it does indeed work within the Lylat universe.

Also, there was a dialogue in which the main protagonist says he's from Earth, and Fox casually drops he's from some weird planet named like Papatoone or something. Should we take this as canon lol? I like how Ubisoft just does whatever they want with the characters honestly.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'll admit it, I bought this game simply because I'm a big StarFox nerd and I liked the ship. Played for an hour or something, and the game is pretty cool nonetheless. Nothing spectacular about it but so far it's pretty fun. StarFox integration is surprisingly great and doesn't feel too much tacked on.

Can I play the whole campaign with my dude McCloud? Or is he going to disappear once the Wolf storyline is done? So far, it seems I'm doing the game's main story, simply with Fox, which is fine by me. I see it as a weird spin-off and it does indeed work within the Lylat universe.

Also, there was a dialogue in which the main protagonist says he's from Earth, and Fox casually drops he's from some weird planet named like Papatoone or something. Should we take this as canon lol? I like how Ubisoft just does whatever they want with the characters honestly.

yes

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So how is it playing with the joy-con mount?

Can I play both with and without the mount and continue the same savefile?

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It's annoying that this didn't unlock at midnight but I'll just tether my Switch to my phone at lunch so I can check-in on eShop and put an hour in :)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So how is it playing with the joy-con mount?

Can I play both with and without the mount and continue the same savefile?
you do not need this.

second Q in the OP's FAQ
Q: If I do have the physical toys, do I need to fumble them onto my controller all the time?
A: No, once activated, they unlock digital copies (for a limited time until reactivated)

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Grabbing a digital copy later today, really looking forward to this. What a great month for games.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Can I have a clear statement that characters/ships/weapons are NOT unlockable through quests or whatever in the game itself ?

Pilots, ships, and weapons are not unlockable in-game. This is a toys to life game. The only way to get any of those items is by buying the physical or digital packs. The only items that drop in game are mods for said items.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

It was canon before, apparently it's an obscure piece of trivia that was only mentioned in the Japanese SF64 manual. If anything it shows Ubisoft really did their homework.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Can I have a clear statement that characters/ships/weapons are NOT unlockable through quests or whatever in the game itself ?

This is correct. You can buy the toys, or you can buy them digitally. Note that even the base digital version of the game comes with many more ships, weapons and pilots than the physical starter pack.

Are you in the states

Can't be, Switch digital is still locked here. It's dumb that I could go to my local Best Buy when it opens at 10 AM and buy it and play before the digital version unlocks.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey, did you create this thread to discuss the game, or troll Ubisoft? You've said this a couple of times now, even in the OP. The toys-to-life pricing model has been known for this particular game for some time now. Let's stick to discussing the game in this thread, thanks.
Do you work for Ubisoft XD

I answered a question, no big deal. Not sure why this needs to be taken so seriously.

Does even the digital version require the 6gb day one update?
well logic would dictate the digital version has the update built into the initial download.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
The digital version is definitely the best deal. You can finish the entire game with everything included without any reason to buy anything else. Actually surprised they included everything they did.

Plus it has the best character, Judge.

Also it's been stated you can do everything with the base physical pack, which isn't exactly true. The puzzle monuments on each planet have different weapon type requirements. A lot of them require weapon elemental types not included in the base pack that are included in the regular digital version.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
So I'm guessing most people here bought the Switch version?
For the ones that didn't: Do you feel that the Star Fox content missing in other versions is significant enough to reduce your enjoyment?

Will probably get it after a price drop and I know it's going to be cheaper on the other platforms before Switch so I could consider getting it on Xbox.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The digital version is definitely the best deal. You can finish the entire game with everything included without any reason to buy anything else. Actually surprised they included everything they did.

Plus it has the best character, Judge.

Also it's been stated you can do everything with the base physical pack, which isn't exactly true. The puzzle monuments on each planet have different weapon type requirements. A lot of them require weapon elemental types not included in the base pack that are included in the regular digital version.
Are those required to beat the game? Cause that's what I put into the OP, not 100% it, but beat it. Took that from reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
Lego Dimensions, Skylanders, they all have these sub-sections and sub-objectives that can be unlocked with specific additional items from subsequent purchases, so hearing that about this game is not surprising.

The campaign for Lego Dimensions was designed and fully playable with the starter pack (and I did so), though you frequently ran into side things that clearly needed extra characters and such to get to.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Are those required to beat the game? Cause that's what I put into the OP, not 100% it, but beat it. Took that from reviews.

You can beat the main story with everything that's included in the base physical pack. Some enemies will just be a little harder since you won't have the elemental damage they are weak to, but nothing game breaking.

After you finish the main story, you are tasked with getting 100% on each planet. Not sure if the puzzle monument things count towards that.

Lego Dimensions, Skylanders, they all have these sub-sections and sub-objectives that can be unlocked with specific additional items from subsequent purchases, so hearing that about this game is not surprising.

The campaign for Lego Dimensions was designed and fully playable with the starter pack (and I did so), though you frequently ran into side things that clearly needed extra characters and such to get to.

It's defintely not like that here. All of the normal content can be done with what's in regular package. They don't have side areas that can only be done with certain characters like skylanders had. The game really isn't in your face about buying more items either. When you do certain acitives, it will notify you the first time what weapons work best but that's about it.

The puzzle moments are really the only thing you need all the elemental types to complete and all they really give is some currency and mods.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if story DLC is planned for this. It sounds like 100%ing the game is doable within ~30ish hours, but there are some ships, weapons, and characters that are releasing post-launch. I don't think people will have much of an incentive to buy these extras (whether physical or digital) if they've already finished the majority of the content in the game.

Also, does anyone know yet if there's a reward for 100%ing this?

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There was a tip on the loading screen that said to use the elemental canisters lying about for these. (The ones usually found near wreckages)

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up my Switch copy from Best Buy

Make sure you check the figures. The first one I had ready for pickup had a major paint botch in the arwing.

Also, unlike that reddit posting linked earlier, my copy came sealed

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Went into town to pick this up before work.

I did not expect the box (or the Arwing) to be that big! Barely fit in my bag lol.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Real talk. Is this the best "Star Fox" game since 64?
No, because it doesn't play like a Star Fox game. Star Fox Zero is the best Star Fox game since 64 :)

It's self indulgent humor that risks detailing into narrowing in on Ubisoft and their business model rather than the game , Moon. Doesn't add anything to the conversation.
I disagree strongly and think this is being taken way too seriously lol.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Man I am really, REALLY waffling on this. More than I ever waffle on most games.

You know what is really confusing me? Most reviews seem to be on the Switch, and they better scores are on Switch (it seems?) so it makes me wonder how much of any given review is just "OMG STARFOX YASS!" You know?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Man I am really, REALLY waffling on this. More than I ever waffle on most games.

You know what is really confusing me? Most reviews seem to be on the Switch, and they better scores are on Switch (it seems?) so it makes me wonder how much of any given review is just "OMG STARFOX YASS!" You know?
Well it is an obvious strong point that the other versions just don't have and it's their lead marketing platform/version due to the tie-in. As with anything, there's no rush to buy this day-1 just to stay in the conversation.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Also, to hopefully settle the price/DLC debate once and for all.
The Digital version is a better deal, if you just want a video game. For 60 dollars, you get a complete videogame with multiple ships, pilots and weapons. (game quality and variety notwithstanding,)

If you are into mostly just the game, yes, getting the plastic toys makes it far more expensive.

But if you are into collecting the ships and stuff, amiibo-style, then, yes, it costs more. Because you're getting plastic toys and stuff.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Well it is an obvious strong point that the other versions just don't have and it's their lead marketing platform/version due to the tie-in. As with anything, there's no rush to buy this day-1 just to stay in the conversation.
Yes, but the question I have is if it is an obvious strong point in an otherwise weak game. Also wish the folks reviewing it on Switch would speak more to the general aspects of the game. (or just more PS4/XBX-specific reviews...) :)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's clear Ubi only sent out the Switch version for review. I rarely see sites like Gamespot and IGN review Switch versions of third party releases over other platforms.

Ubi probably saw the reception of Star Fox at E3, and has seen the pre-order numbers since heavily favor the Switch version, and just leaned into it. I feel like at least 60% of sales of this game will be on Switch. From Star Fox to the toy aspect, it's much more tailored to that audience.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but the question I have is if it is an obvious strong point in an otherwise weak game. Also wish the folks reviewing it on Switch would speak more to the general aspects of the game. (or just more PS4/XBX-specific reviews...) :)

Most reviews said the game wasn't weak, just perhaps repetitive. But the idea is to switch out pilots and configure ships/weapons to mix things up.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is the degree of changes when you swap out ships and pilots? Like, you can play the whole campaign with the starter pack and/or Starfox pack, but then is there an incentive to see new things by playing through the campaign again with ships/pilots you may buy a month from now or three months from now?

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how many times I see it the hovering on the ground stuff just looks... silly.

I quite like it! It feels like a throwback to those old-skool vehicle shooters. Anyone remember Spectre Supreme? What was that other game where you controlled a big tank and it was quite open and you just drove around blowing shit up? It was a classic PC game but I've 100% forgotten the name!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Most reviews said the game wasn't weak, just perhaps repetitive. But the idea is to switch out pilots and configure ships/weapons to mix things up.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is the degree of changes when you swap out ships and pilots? Like, you can play the whole campaign with the starter pack and/or Starfox pack, but then is there an incentive to see new things by playing through the campaign again with ships/pilots you may buy a month from now or three months from now?
You're not really "seeing new things" ...your gun shoots differently and you get a different special move/attack with the ship itself. It's not really anything that makes a replay much different.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
To those who got the physical package: did your box have some kind of tape on the outside you had to remove before opening it? My starter pack just came in the mail from Best Buy and there was no wrapping or tape or anything on the outside of the box. The reason I ask is because I just opened it up to find my starter pack contains everything except for the game itself, so I'm thinking maybe someone opened it up ahead of time and stole the game.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Do you work for Ubisoft XD

I answered a question, no big deal. Not sure why this needs to be taken so seriously.

well logic would dictate the digital version has the update built into the initial download.

Logic would also dictate that this came out at 12AM in the US, but we both know that is not true now don't we?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
No, because it doesn't play like a Star Fox game.
Yeah, I find that I can only wrap my head around the game by thinking of it as Breath of the Wild... in SPACE!

Probably not, I believe the only difference is in buffs and nerfs. The dialogue and story points are all the same.

Oct 25, 2017
To those who got the physical package: did your box have some kind of tape on the outside you had to remove before opening it? My starter pack just came in the mail from Best Buy and there was no wrapping or tape or anything on the outside of the box. The reason I ask is because I just opened it up to find my starter pack contains everything except for the game itself, so I'm thinking maybe someone opened it up ahead of time and stole the game.
That's been happening and people speculate that these could be "review" units sent out to people to showcase. Call the retailer.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I meant to respond to this earlier but somehow my quote got eaten up by something:

Logic would also dictate that this came out at 12AM in the US, but we both know that is not true now don't we?
That's only the case for first party titles and some random third party exceptions, not a rule. If you download a game that has an update, that update is already in the initial download in my experience.