• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Help me fill it. What movies shine in 4K? What movies probably don't benefit much from 4K but are too classic not to own in 4K?

So far I have Infinity War, Endgame, Alien, Terminator 2, and Pacific Rim.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I fell in love with ET thanks to the 4K Blu-ray. The original Blade Runner is another highlight if you want to see how good old movies can look when given the proper love and care.

I like T2. But, it is too sharpened in some scenes, and they fucked with the color timing. Which I will never fucking understand, even if it is something I wouldn't really notice without the internet telling me.

The Cybertron scenes of Bumblebee are fucking INSANE looking on the 4K Blu-ray. But, that is like 30 seconds of the movie. Luckily the rest of the movie is enjoyable as well.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Blade Runner 2049
Mad Max: Fury Road
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

John Wick 1 and 2 look pretty great as well, and they're worth owning anyway.

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Physical. I thought I was done with it but with the way streaming services are fracturing I'll be popping in a lot more discs.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I hear Alita: Battle Angel is the reference disc to end all reference discs.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Great thread, I just got my first 4k TV so I'm planning on doing the same.

Just ordered the Apocalypse Now Final Cut, looking at the trailer for it I'm not sure if I've ever seen the whole thing (I always get Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket confused with each other). I remember being blown away at how good the Tropic Thunder Bluray looked and since that was heavily inspired by Vietnam movies, I'm hoping Apocalypse Now looks even better in 4k.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Help me fill it. What movies shine in 4K? What movies probably don't benefit much from 4K but are too classic not to own in 4K?

So far I have Infinity War, Endgame, Alien, Terminator 2, and Pacific Rim.

Actually the older films (shot on decent film, 35mm and especially 70mm that's stored decently) can really benefit from 4k (as well as newer digitally shot films). The worst ones are circa early digital film movies that were shot at like 1080p or lower (Star Wars prequels are notorious for this limitation, ep 2/3 were filmed at 1080p, so anything past that is upscaling).

Blade Runner (the original) and BR2049 both have great 4k releases.
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Matrix
The Fifth Element
The Patriot
Braveheart
Starship Troopers
Gladiator
Fury (the tank movie with Brad Pitt)
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Blue Planet II
Planet Earth II (Both this and Blue Planet are AMAZING in 4k, easily one of the pinnacles to show off 4k imo)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Escape From New York
Evil Dead II
The Big Lebowski
Spider-Man (Sam Raimi's)

Last edited:

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blade Runner 2049, Alita Battle Angel, Saving Private Ryan, and American Made all looked fucking crisp and beautiful when I watched them on 4K.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I've been thinking about seriously getting into UHD for a while now but I never see films I'm interested in. I'm more into older, foreign film, and cult stuff.

I have a few UHD at this point but apart from 2001 they are all new popcorn flcks.

When are flicks like Holy Motors and Yojimbo coming out? (I looked recently and couldn't find them) And what is a good resource for keeping up with these kind of releases?

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Pretty much any good movies that were shot on film will look awesome.

I've been thinking about seriously getting into UHD for a while now but I never see films I'm interested in. I'm more into older, foreign film, and cult stuff.
looked recently and couldn't find them) And what is a good resource for keeping up with these kind of releases?

Personally I just check this site at the beginning of each month.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Disney releases in general are pretty weak. How much do you care about sound? There's a pretty big variance in quality between the Atmos mixes as well (some don't even have Atmos). Nolan doesn't use Atmos on any of his films.

Ready Player One (insane Atmos mix)
Battle Angel Alita (insane Atmos mix)
Blade Runner 2049 (HDR demo disc)
Blade Runner
Black Hawk Down
Fury
Logan
Everest
Sicario
The Revenant (no Atmos)
The Matrix
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Overlord
A Quiet Place
John Wick 2
Into The Spiderverse

Ready Player one and Into the Spiderverse were the most impressive to me all round.

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Actually the older films (shot on decent film, 35mm and especially 70mm that's stored decently) can really benefit from 4k (as well as newer digitally shot films). The worst ones are circa early digital film movies that were shot at like 1080p or lower (Star Wars prequels are notorious for this limitation, ep 2/3 were filmed at 1080p, so anything past that is upscaling).

Blade Runner (the original) and BR2049 both have great 4k releases.
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Matrix
The Fifth Element
The Patriot
Braveheart
Starship Troopers
Gladiator
Fury (the tank movie with Brad Pitt)
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Blue Planet II
Planet Earth II (Both this and Blue Planet are AMAZING in 4k, easily one of the pinnacles to show off 4k imo)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Escape From New York
Evil Dead II
The Big Lebowski
Spider-Man (Sam Raimi's)

Excellent list, thank you.

Also, it kind of blows my mind that the original Terminator isn't out in 4K.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
2001 A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner and 2049
Batman 89
Batman Returns (this release is astoundingly good)
Alien
First Man
Dunkirk (I don't like the movie but it looks incredible)
Transformers Dark of the Moon (Bayformers aside, this disc is a treat, with killer Atmos track to boot)
How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World
The Matrix
Logan
Pacific Rim
Power Rangers
Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man 2
Star Trek 09/Into Darkness

Out of those, Batman Returns and 2001 are probably my two faves. Pacific Rim's Hong Kong sequence is a killer HDR display though.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Recently I've been a big fan of Glory's 4k release. Absolutely beautiful. That cinematography Oscar was well deserved. Great sound mix too.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I recently bought a 65 inch Samsung Q90R. I have been buying some of the weekly 4K movies on sale via the VuDu app which is connected to movies anywhere. I do believe people when they say the UHD Blu-Ray disk looks better, but I can't imagine it is that much better as the 4K HDR via Vudu looks so damn good. I may get a disk player one day but with Samsung not supporting DV and Samsung no longer making HDR10+ disk players, I don't feel excited about future physical media.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question: how is the non-HDR disc quality versus streaming? Because streaming 4k I can't really tell a difference from 1080p on my 55" screen sitting 3 feet away, unless I go back and forth between 4k and 1080p and then I only barely see a difference. For video games it's something else entirely, but streamed movies and TV shows on Netflix or Amazon, definitely not worth it. But to try disc I'd have to buy a player that supports it.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
s-l640.jpg

Awesome picture. Awesome Atmos. Awesome movie. I thought Zhang was spent after the Great Wall but this was a serious return to form. Highly recommended.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I recently bought a 65 inch Samsung Q90R. I have been buying some of the weekly 4K movies on sale via the VuDu app which is connected to movies anywhere. I do believe people when they say the UHD Blu-Ray disk looks better, but I can't imagine it is that much better as the 4K HDR via Vudu looks so damn good. I may get a disk player one day but with Samsung not supporting DV and Samsung no longer making HDR10+ disk players, I don't feel excited about future physical media.
This. I can get 4k codes the week of release for $10 or less versus $30 for the disk. The difference isn't worth an extra $20

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This. I can get 4k codes the week of release for $10 or less versus $30 for the disk. The difference isn't worth an extra $20
Superior picture quality. Superior sound. Not reliant on internet access or a service being up and running. Last night internet was knocked out for hours. Thank god I had a physical media collection because all I needed was electricity for that to work.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
2001: A Space Odyssey is the best 4K I've watched. I expected it to make the models just look really fake but it just shows how insanely articulated they all are.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max Fury Road is a must have. All this battle Angel Alita talk makes me want to grab a disc despite not being a huge fan of the film(appreciated the 3d and visuals though)

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
To you. But some people actually want the better picture and sound quality that physical media can provide. Jumping back and forth between streaming and disc versions of some movies the difference aint even close.

Mad Max Fury Road is a must have. All this battle Angel Alita talk makes me want to grab a disc despite not being a huge fan of the film(appreciated the 3d and visuals though)
I am not a fan of Fury Road in 4K. The image is too oversaturated. It was early days of UHD and HDR, so if they revisit it and make it not as POP with the colors, I would be all over it.

But man, the Atmos mix on Fury Road, which is on blu and UHD. That Atmos mix is godly.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2001 A Space Odyssey
Alita Battle Angel
Blade Runner (2049)
The Mummy Trilogy (if you don't like the other two at least the first one)
Robert Langdon Trilogy
Spiderman Trilogy

These are ones that are amazing that I also own, there's undoubtedly much more, but these I know are absolutely amazing. Even much better than the blu-rays.
The Mummy and Robert Langdon trulogy do have two upscales (both the third film), but the native 4k presentations are amazing!

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
To you. But some people actually want the better picture and sound quality that physical media can provide. Jumping back and forth between streaming and disc versions of some movies the difference aint even close.

I am not a fan of Fury Road in 4K. The image is too oversaturated. It was early days of UHD and HDR, so if they revisit it and make it not as POP with the colors, I would be all over it.

But man, the Atmos mix on Fury Road, which is on blu and UHD. That Atmos mix is godly.
I wouldn't say that they aren't close. But we'll have to agree to disagree.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I have 49 4K films and the only ones that really blew me away were Planet Earth 2 & Blue Planet 2. I find myself when it comes to 4K impressed more by the audio quality rather than the picture(that's because in most cases you find atmos on 4K disks only).