• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
  • I started a DVD collection starting in 2000
  • I started a Blu-ray collection starting in 2008
  • Then I realized I had to start another collection in 4K
  • Then in the future, another collection in 8K and so on

Not worth it. Buy digital movies. For example, I know Apple will upgrade your FHD movies to 4K... they will probably upgrade the 4K movies to 8K once available.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
good for you?

why are you even in this thread then just to show your disdain? The OP asked for recommendations of 4k movies not whether or not they should get 4k movies.
you're equivalent to someone popping into a laptop recommendation thread where the OP says "no macbooks" and coming in and saying "just get a macbook"

it adds zero to the discussion infact makes it worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I really need to buy Blue Planet 2.
It's glorious. For the people who wonder why I still buy 4K despite not being that impressed by the PQ well, it's because I might as well these days since it comes with the bluray version so two birds, one stone kind of thing. I think I need a projector to really be impressed by 4K as the larger the screen size is, the more you get out of it.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
good for you?

why are you even in this thread then just to show your disdain? The OP asked for recommendations of 4k movies not whether or not they should get 4k movies.
you're equivalent to someone popping into a laptop recommendation thread where the OP says "no macbooks" and coming in and saying "just get a macbook"

it adds zero to the discussion infact makes it worse.
Jesus fuck, God forbid i try to save op some money

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have yet to watch a 4K disc that wasn't simply amazing looking. I am in the process of switching all of my old standard and Blu-ray discs to 4K as they come out, shit is glorious. A few recent ones I watched ID4 and Bayformers both looked fantastic. Matrix looked amazing and fixed the weird green tint it had before.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the flack that the new Ghostbusters gets, I thought that was a treat. It's one of the few movies that even though it is black barred on the top and bottom, the Visual Effects scale the whole screen. Couple that with HDR and I think it's quite a looker

I only try to buy the reference 4K movies myself on Physical Bluray for that added quality, but the convenience for digital is just too much. Maybe I should stop getting physical...
I have 49 4K films and the only ones that really blew me away were Planet Earth 2 & Blue Planet 2. I find myself when it comes to 4K impressed more by the audio quality rather than the picture(that's because in most cases you find atmos on 4K disks only).
I actually agree with this, maybe it's because I have a 75", but the 4k barely eeks out the 1080p. Most casuals won't care and notice the difference at 75" because the PPI gets lower than say a 55" at least that's my thought.
Seems like I need to hunt down a true receiver with atmos, because I'm rocking a Vizio sound bar lol

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
For the flack that the new Ghostbusters gets, I thought that was a treat. It's one of the few movies that even though it is black barred on the top and bottom, the Visual Effects scale the whole screen. Couple that with HDR and I think it's quite a looker

I only try to buy the reference 4K movies myself on Physical Bluray for that added quality, but the convenience for digital is just too much. Maybe I should stop getting physical...

I actually agree with this, maybe it's because I have a 75", but the 4k barely eeks out the 1080p. Most casuals won't care and notice the difference at 75" because the PPI gets lower than say a 55" at least that's my thought.
Seems like I need to hunt down a true receiver with atmos, because I'm rocking a Vizio sound bar lol
the upgrade in UHD is from the deeper color and atmos, not necessarily the resolution, though on a big enough screen true native 4k is going to look better than 1080p

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To you. But some people actually want the better picture and sound quality that physical media can provide. Jumping back and forth between streaming and disc versions of some movies the difference aint even close.

I am not a fan of Fury Road in 4K. The image is too oversaturated. It was early days of UHD and HDR, so if they revisit it and make it not as POP with the colors, I would be all over it.

But man, the Atmos mix on Fury Road, which is on blu and UHD. That Atmos mix is godly.
I feel you on this. I still enjoyed the heck out of it. I personally only view it on Bluray atm mainly because I don't own a UHD player yet. I just feel it's worth being in the collection if you didn't own it already.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I feel you on this. I still enjoyed the heck out of it. I personally only view it on Bluray atm mainly because I don't own a UHD player yet. I just feel it's worth being in the collection if you didn't own it already.
The iTunes copy I had upgraded to 4K so was curious. But have the Black and Chrome blu set. That version would be really cool in hdr actually. Show off the contrsst

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm slowly collecting 4K discs after swearing off physical media in the mid-late 2000s. I feel like 4K is as good as the average home viewing experience is going to get so hopefully they won't become obsolete a la VHS/DVD. Hah who am I kidding -- the capitalism machine will eventually convince us all that 8K is the only way to watch stuff (even things filmed 4K or lower lol).

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Help me fill it. What movies shine in 4K? What movies probably don't benefit much from 4K but are too classic not to own in 4K?

So far I have Infinity War, Endgame, Alien, Terminator 2, and Pacific Rim.

Terminator 2 is arguably the worse 4K transfer of all of 4K. Some say worse then the Blu-Ray.

Stuff like Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot, Braveheart, Gladiator, Bladerunner, Matrix trilogy, etc if you want the classics.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess you can add Twin Peaks to the list*!

*kinda, only two episodes will be in 4k

Oct 27, 2017
To those saying it's not worth it for physical discs, look at used shops. There are a few by me that I've gotten a bunch of 4K Blurays from for under $10 including really great movies listed here like Blade Runner 2049, IT, John Wick and so much more. Even have some for cheap. Got Jumanji, Now You See Me 1+2 and Hunger Games for under $5

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Excellent list, thank you.

Also, it kind of blows my mind that the original Terminator isn't out in 4K.

It's James Cameron holding it all up. He doesn't give a shit, the 4k T2 shows exactly how much he cares (one of the worst uses of not only color timing changes where he made the whole movie blue blue blue, unlike the original release, but also way too much DNR that makes people look like wax figures at times because they wanted to erase film grain that should be there in the first place).

We still don't even have the Abyss or True Lies on blu ray yet and he's been holding it up for years. They literally have had both of them competed for blu ray release but are simply waiting on him to "go over" and approve the transfers but he can't be bothered to take the time out to do that because of whatever else he's doing.

see:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To you. But some people actually want the better picture and sound quality that physical media can provide. Jumping back and forth between streaming and disc versions of some movies the difference aint even close.

I am not a fan of Fury Road in 4K. The image is too oversaturated. It was early days of UHD and HDR, so if they revisit it and make it not as POP with the colors, I would be all over it.

But man, the Atmos mix on Fury Road, which is on blu and UHD. That Atmos mix is godly.

The Atmos mix is killer but you can get it on the BD version too. More and more Blu Rays are getting the Atmos mix as well which is nice. Not sure what's up but Fury Road looks dark as hell in 4K HDR, almost seems like it's a bug.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
  • I started a DVD collection starting in 2000
  • I started a Blu-ray collection starting in 2008
  • Then I realized I had to start another collection in 4K
  • Then in the future, another collection in 8K and so on

Not worth it. Buy digital movies. For example, I know Apple will upgrade your FHD movies to 4K... they will probably upgrade the 4K movies to 8K once available.

Seeing the way things are going I doubt we'll be getting a physical 8K format.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The Atmos mix is killer but you can get it on the BD version too. More and more Blu Rays are getting the Atmos mix as well which is nice. Not sure what's up but Fury Road looks dark as hell in 4K HDR, almost seems like it's a bug.
Sony and Disney were always hiding their Atmos mixes on UHD. WB and Paramount have always been putting it on everything because they can. Was always bullshit holding it back

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017

The real wrinkle in all of this is studios' poor support for Dolby Vision on disc (assuming you have a DV capable TV). There are lots of movies to this day that have Dolby Vision for streaming, but not on the disc. Disney put DV on Black Panther and The Last Jedi discs, but Infinity War and other movies since then haven't had it on disc, just streaming. So, you're deciding between more detail or better HDR.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The real wrinkle in all of this is studios' poor support for Dolby Vision on disc (assuming you have a DV capable TV). There are lots of movies to this day that have Dolby Vision for streaming, but not on the disc. Disney put DV on Black Panther and The Last Jedi discs, but Infinity War and other movies since then haven't had it on disc, just streaming. So, you're deciding between more detail or better HDR.
You still get HDR with HDR10. And for many things you probably would never know it was DV or HDR10 unless a logo popped up saying so. Just like 99% of the people here would never know something is an upconvert from a 2K master unless they were told so.

OP
OP
Doober

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Unless you have a monster-assed TV I can't imagine 8K being a noticeably massive jump in quality, so I feel pretty comfortable collecting 4K content.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Unless you have a monster-assed TV I can't imagine 8K being a noticeably massive jump in quality, so I feel pretty comfortable collecting 4K content.
And how much content will even be done in 8K? Most studios aren't going to invest to move to 4K DI either because the professionals have noticed it is minimal difference while HDR color is the real game changer.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I've yet to see a bad 4K disc, all so far have been an upgrade over what's come before. Evil Dead 2 really is an excellent transfer and is the best the movie has ever looked.
Dog Soldiers released in Germany as a Digibook, and while on the surface it doesn't seem that great (no HDR), for me it was worth it as it blows the old DVD and blu ray releases out of the water....especially that awful Shout/Scream Factory release. It's not demo material, but it's a great upgrade over what has come before.
John Wick 1 and 2 looked really good.
The first Deadpool had tons of detail. I was underwhelmed at first, then realised that my TV hadn't switched over to HDR for some reason, fixed that and it looked great.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What's with people saying there's no difference with streaming and discs? I mean even a standard 1080p BD plays at a higher bitrate than 4K streams even if you have incredibly fast internet that 95% of people don't. Don't even try to compare the lossless Atmos mix either.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with people saying there's no difference with streaming and discs? I mean even a standard 1080p BD plays at a higher bitrate than 4K streams even if you have incredibly fast internet that 95% of people don't. Don't even try to compare the lossless Atmos mix either.

They're virtually identical unless you're 6 inches from the screen comparing side-by-side for miniscule differences. And streaming movies you buy now have the potential to get better in the future, which obviously isn't possible with disc based media.

OP, here's some must haves in 4k:

Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
2001: A Space Odyssey
All Avengers movies
Pacific Rim
The Revenant
Alien
Coco
Mission: Impossible 4-6 (they all look great but 4-6 look amazing)
Aquaman
The Matrix trilogy
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant
John Wick 1 & 2
Sicario

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Going to echo:
John Wick
Saving Private Ryan
Mad Max Fury Road
The Dark Knight
Blade Runner 2049.
2001: A Space Odyssey (a bit slow of a movie but looks incredible).

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this to say the reviews on Apocalypse Now have been stellar. It's a six disc set, with the Final Cut on one 4K disc and then theatrical and Redux on another, all are Dolby Vision, all feature Atmos, and all this for $22.99 most places. Like that's insane value.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm the new Apocalypse Now set is incredible!

That film was shot over 40 years ago and some scenes look like they could've been filmed yesterday. Fantastic release!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone picked up godzilla kotm yet? Curious as to how the 4k disc is. I was gonna get the iron man trilogy and thor duology but im feeling pretty burnt out on mcu content atm

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly just do the same thing every year: wait until around November/Black Friday time and grab a bundle of discounted 4K discs w/ Digital codes for the films I really liked.
Slickdeals.net will have deals like this all over the place usually from the same places (Target, Best Buy - with Amazon price matching both). For these sales I'm typicallying paying $8 - $10 each (most Marvel/Disney 4K films have not reached this point yet).

If you have an Apple TV and don't mind digital, they often have 4K (through iTunes streaming) for $5.

At this point, I'm more of a digital person only because because the sales were so damn good at $5-6 an average a pop. I have the following in 4K on VUDU:

Spiderman Homecoming
The Revenant
Deadpool
Deadpool 2
John Wick 2
Kickass
Mission Impossible 1 - 5 (this was a $30 bundle that got me all 5)
Blade Runner 2049
Goodfellas
Hacksaw Ridge
Inception
Life of Pi
Batman Begins
MadMax: Road of Fury
Alien Covenant (I just used my brother in laws digital code - I haven't actually watched this)

There are others I own a the 4K disc for, but they only gave me an HD download...which is complete BS (Logan for instance). I think I have over films in digital at the point, so it will take some time to get them over to 4K.

Main discs/4K downloads I really want to pick up is Mission Impossible Fallout and the Planet Earth series.

Last edited: