• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

In advance of the 4th of July holiday, we are celebrating that the State of Decay 2 community now exceeds three million players. This, along with the recent news that fans made State of Decay 2 the best-selling game of May, puts us in a festive mood. To celebrate, we are revealing our first post-launch content, the Independence Pack. This pack gives you the opportunity to take on the zombie horde with style, grace and most importantly, COLORFUL GUNPOWDER. Available today on both Xbox One and Windows 10, the pack unlocks an array of fiery new versions of vehicles, weapons and gear for your community. State of Decay 2 wants you to show off with explosive awesomeness to the three million player strong community. Heck, even the zeds are dressed for the occasion in this pack, and there are few things as satisfying as taking out a Revolutionary War-themed zombie during a supply run. It's like history that you can blow up…WITH FIREWORKS!

What do you get in this firework-filled content? Glad you asked, patriot. The Independence Pack features three zombie-ready vehicles, access to a supply drop containing three new patriotic melee weapons, two unique ranged weapons and piles of single-use fireworks that are perfect for causing general havoc (or making blood plague elimination a much more festive occasion):

• Take the Pyrohawk, Burninator or Meatwagon out for a spin. With names like these, you know driving will be more entertaining.
  • Step up to your station at the BBQ with The Freedom Ringer, Grillmeister and BBQ Fork – new hand-held zed-slaying solutions.
  • Subtlety not your thing? Well we have the Pyro Launcher and Starshank Launcher so you can blast zombies with fiery explosives.
  • Just like loud noises with pretty colors? You're in luck! The Block Rocker, Reign o' Fire, Bouncing Boris and XL Firework Shell offer even more options to turn a mission into a celebration.
If that's still not enough boom, you can also use the new Fireworks Crafting Station facility mod to craft additional fireworks or ammunition for your fancy new fireworks launchers. Also keep an eye out for a new wandering trader hosting a fire sale on these explosive new goodies. That's right, a good ole traditional fireworks sale.

image: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/SOD-PATRIOT.png

SOD-PATRIOT.png

Grab the Independence Pack today for $4.99 USD (or for free if you purchased State of Decay 2: Ultimate Edition); Xbox Game Pass members also receive a 10 percent discount on the Independence Pack. If that isn't enough to get you jazzed, the team also added to the existing game with a new update that focuses on non-firework content. In Update 2.0, get ready for 20 FREE new missions, nearly 10 new weapons, a "Rare Books" trader for new skills and plenty of improved gameplay in honor of the Independence Pack for ALL players. Did we mention it's free? To read more on that, please visit StateofDecay.com for the full patch notes and other things that aren't fireworks.

But wait, there's more! After wiping out the blood plague and celebrating your legacy with this festive pack, get ready for completely separate shenanigans in the upcoming Daybreak Pack this September. That all-new content lets you take the fight to the zombies, featuring an exciting new mode where you play as a well-equipped Red Talon soldier. You'll work to complete a challenging objective while protecting your fortified position against waves of zombies and freaks to earn new rewards and weapons. The Daybreak Pack is also included in State of Decay 2's Ultimate Edition.

If you haven't joined the community just yet, now's a great time to get in on all the action! In addition to playing it with an Xbox Game Pass membership, you can purchase the Standard Edition for $29.99 and the Ultimate Edition for $49.99., which includes both the Independence Pack and Daybreak Pack. As an Xbox Play Anywhere game, one digital purchase gets you both the Xbox One and the Windows 10 version of the game

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/28/state-of-decay-2-independence-pack/#xMM7wQ1QejVPrXdk.99

The Independence Pack retails for $4.99. If you purchased the Ultimate Edition, this DLC is automatically included. If you are a Game Pass subscriber, you get 10% off of the Independence Pack.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the vehicles and weapons are single use? Once they're smashed up/destroyed are they gone forever?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the last DLC and all the patches/updates happen before I buy the Ultimate Edition at a good sale price.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Amazing. Great numbers but even better: great support. Free content - on top of the independence pack - is nice to see.

The September Expansion especially sounds great.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that's awesome. I yet have to truly dig into the game despite really enjoying it, there's just multiple other games taking my attention away right now. Game Pass makes it easy to jump in and jump out anytime, though. Brilliant success, if what MS said a while ago is still true (over half of the players come from sales and not Game Pass) would put the game over 1.5 million: a pretty impressive feat for a 30$ AA game.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
That's a lot of players! I didn't care for this game when I tried it on Gamepass, but I know several casual playing people pick it up. I thought it was odd. Crazy how much people still love zombie/co-op games. Happy that Undead Labs have found this great success.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
did they ever fix the motion blur on Xbox One X?

I've been meaning to get back to it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Good on Undead and MS. All those XGP trials going to good use ;)

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I need to get back into this game. I played it for about 2 hours, had fun, but my focus turned to other games. I am super happy with how successful the game has been for Undead Labs, too!

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Get ready for completely separate shenanigans in the upcoming Daybreak Pack this September. That all-new content lets you take the fight to the zombies, featuring an exciting new mode where you play as a well-equipped Red Talon soldier. You'll work to complete a challenging objective while protecting your fortified position against waves of zombies and freaks to earn new rewards and weapons.

Looks like a DLC in the vein of Lifeline.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty crazy the turn around MS has had this year in terms of 1st party succes compared to last year. With FH4 on the way as well which is also looking to be financially successful this is a hell of a rebound year

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The link to the patch 2.0 notes is a dead link (fitting I guess) has anyone got the full notes yet?

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Really happy for them and here's hoping this success leads them to make an even better game

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already fixed most of the stuff. Been playing in co-op the last whole week without any significant problems. This 2.0 Update will only enhance the experience even more.

I tried after the 15gig 1.1 patch and the game would still crash to desktop after 20 ish minutes no matter who hosts.

Shameful really. I can let slip a half-assed implementation of the coop mode (although we shouldn't) but I won't pull any punches with technical incompetence.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Wow 3 Milly that's good, I had a lot of fun with this game but quit after it repeatedly glitched during the final mission of my second playthrough.
Still had about 40 hours and my wife liked it as well

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I tried after the 15gig 1.1 patch and the game would still crash to desktop after 20 ish minutes no matter who hosts.

Shameful really. I can let slip a half-assed implementation of the coop mode (although we shouldn't) but I won't pull any punches with technical incompetence.
They were at patch 1.4 already - and today at 2.0. Give it a try maybe. They fixed most of the stuff very fast.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Congrats on the 3 million players but a patriotic pack is a bit weird given that it only resonates with Americans. Oh well.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These new firework weapons sound lame but I'm excited for the skill book vendor and some new missions.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The ability to make explosives at your home-base is a cool addition, though I'm betting this is balanced out by resource requirements for the recipes.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I suppose since MS owns Undead Labs I can give up on it being on Steam (or better yet GoG but I had no hopes of that since the first wasn't on GoG either).

So, I suppose I'll get around to buying the game. But right now I ahve too much to play on my VR (a while back I got myself to only buy games when I'm ready to play them as no point in buying them when you aren't going to play them yet especially as if you wait they may be cheaper).

Jun 22, 2018
I really enjoyed my first play through of this game. New DLC will definitely help encourage me to go back and play through on the other maps.

Dre G Writer

Jan 5, 2018
The ability to make explosives at your home-base is a cool addition, though I'm betting this is balanced out by resource requirements for the recipes.

We was already able to do this in the base game before any patches came out. Grenades, soda can grenades, remote mines, box mines, land mines, C4, molotovs, incendiary grenades, pipe bombs, and like two or three more I can't think of right now.

You just needed the right facility and the person with the skill to be able to craft them.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty crazy the turn around MS has had this year in terms of 1st party succes compared to last year. With FH4 on the way as well which is also looking to be financially successful this is a hell of a rebound year

It's interesting. Rebound year in term of sales, but definitely not critical reception. Though Forza Horizon 4 will change that.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I tried clicking on the website to see the patch notes and it's just a 404 page. The main page and news also makes no mention of the 2.0 patch for me. Huh. I'm really on the fence about if I should start playing again and some nifty improvements would help sway me, if anyone has a list.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This game feeds my itch to take over land area. Seeing those circles around the houses turn color after I clear them satisfies some inner need. Taking over territory in GTA: San Andreas and Mad Max did the same thing.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if the vehicles and weapons are single use? Once they're smashed up/destroyed are they gone forever?

The preorder vehicles can be summoned over and over. Though I once ran into an issue where I summoned one and it spawned sunk into the ground and was never able to get into it and I guess since I never used it wouldn't let me summon another one.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yesss!
  • Added a new jog animation for human characters.
  • Polished the "walk to run" and "run to walk" transition animations.
Curious to see what this looks like now, this and the motion blur were the biggest issues with the game from a visual standpoint. Has the game been capped at 30FPS yet? Haven't seen it mentioned in any patch notes.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really hope they can take this series to the next level with SoD 3. IP has so much potential, especially if they decide to branch out to other mythologies etc.