• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it has an actual narrative while keeping the survival elements of the game. Less run based than the rest of the mode.
Great stuff, I don't mind the other survival stuff if the story is good and the rest can hook me later, gonna try SOT next after that and kill time before borderlands 3 and Gears 5 totally consume all my time for the remainder of the year.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they get to do that MMO at some point and move past this janky open world zombie formula they've done for two games now.

I hope they give us a AAA single player title first.

The MMO can wait, j want to see what they can do with a bigger team, more money and a stronger focus on narrative mixed with deeper survival mechanics.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves will com to Steam now that MS is fine with that.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wish they would understand how much some people hated the stupid radio.

The constant annoyance of it and how it made everyone feel connected which took away from the feeling of being isolated and alone in the world which in turn made finding new people all the more exciting. With the radio it felt like you were just constantly and never ending being asked for this and tihat and to help this person and that person , you're pulled in so many different directions and NEVER get a moments peace to just explore and find things without feeling like you're missing something by not helping the person asking.

It was one of their worst design decisions imo. It shouldn't have been there at the start, it should have been something you had to actively work toward getting and setting up (I'd have preferred a ham radio type thing) which would basically then serve as a way to find other enclaves and NOT something you always have while out and exploring.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sequel looks and play worse than the original, somehow. I hope they take the time with their next project and start from scratch.

tenor.gif

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Literally started playing it again like 2 days ago and I still have the feeling that stuff still feels like a missed opportunity.

The coop was easily the biggest disappointment for me with the lack of any sort of persistence. That and the incredibly annoying settlement missions that are constantly thrown at you every second.

Yeah I echo this sentiment. I absolutely ADORED the first one and hype levels were through the roof for the sequel. The experience left me a little bit down to be quite frank. With the added budget from the MS acquisition, new engine and co-op play; I was really expecting it to hit it out of the park.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gave the game another go with GamePass (I initially got a refund cause the Xbox One version was atrocious to play with in co-op ) and even on pc the game is such a bore. They didn't really improve upon the first game formula. I'm suprised at the high numbers, hopefully they have a lot of funds to do SoD 3.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Despite the early clunkiness of the game and some elements that confused me, SoD2 was a fun game, once I got into it. Found myself player, learning something and restarting my team to try things better. I only hope the sequel pushes base building way more, since I loved that part.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'm a happy addict since the heartland DLC and the new difficulties. Playing it nonstop. Once you get a handle on it's vast sea of interconnected intricacies i happily overlook the occasional bug and foible.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Literally started playing it again like 2 days ago and I still have the feeling that stuff still feels like a missed opportunity.

The coop was easily the biggest disappointment for me with the lack of any sort of persistence. That and the incredibly annoying settlement missions that are constantly thrown at you every second.
I think of the offers to assist other enclaves as an opporunity, something i could do, or not do, wholly up to me, without any fear of missing out. I've played the game so much that i can quickly determine whether or not that is something i want to persue at the moment. Those events are also timed, if you respond back, i think you might be able to increase their wait period . . . while you go root around or whatever.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I didn't like it. Co op was weird and I hate when fatigue sets in
Coffee, snacks, stimulants. There is a solution for every challenge presented by the game, and the more you play you begin to employ the right remedy for what was a head scratcher earlier, or a source of frustration. The solutions creep in. Early going, i got frustrated by somethings, such as fatigue but, eventually as i said, once you get a hanlde on it's depths, the game is stellar.

Last edited:

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the first one, but the second one is missing something I can't put my finger on. Found it incredibly boring.

Also, still waiting for them to patch HDR into the PC release like the consoles :/

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first one but the sequel was really a letdown. I hope they make the next one feel fresh.

Jun 22, 2018
The most memorable moments from the first game were the fixed story moments you had to do, like helping defend the Wilkerson (was that their name?) brothers.

SOD2 was fun, but really felt like it was missing those unique story moments that pulled the game above the repetitiveness of just surviving. I hope whatever they're building for the third game does a better job of having those really unique story moments.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the game, though it did have some obvious issues. I hope whatever they do next is a big step up now that they have the full backing of MS. No more jank!

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The most memorable moments from the first game were the fixed story moments you had to do, like helping defend the Wilkerson (was that their name?) brothers.

SOD2 was fun, but really felt like it was missing those unique story moments that pulled the game above the repetitiveness of just surviving. I hope whatever they're building for the third game does a better job of having those really unique story moments.
the story beats depend on the leader you pick and whether or not you carry forth with that line. The Heartland DLC is story centric, features two disctinct tales and has some big reveals regarding the overall plotline.

Jun 22, 2018
the story beats depend on the leader you pick and whether or not you carry forth with that line. The Heartland DLC is story centric, features two disctinct tales and has some big reveals regarding the overall plotline.
Yeah, I feel Heartland is a step in the right direction. I was mostly just disappointed that the DLC didn't take place on the new maps that I'd spent less time playing on.

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved this game. Friends and I played through it on PC twice and will likely play through on nightmare at some point.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I played it for like 8 to 10 hours but got old for me. I hope the next one they improve the formula because the simulation is captivating.
The new difficulties up the tension dramatically. But i wouldn't recommed starting in a Dredd Zone if you got ten hours under your belt and it's been a while. I'd ease into it. Begginer, then when your confident, then dredd. on the higher difficulties you have to have your head on a swivel, your wits about you, you have to play it in a milatiryesqe fashion, because for your completely upgraded, beloved character, or new recruits, there lurks the very real possibility of their permadeath around every corner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, how long is Heartland?

Might have to check it out.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, I feel Heartland is a step in the right direction. I was mostly just disappointed that the DLC didn't take place on the new maps that I'd spent less time playing on.
Map familarity is a bonus for me, i love taking the short cuts and knowing the lay of the land so i can groove in my suped up RoadHog. There's three other big maps in the basegame, and I rather enjoyed the new iteration of Trumble County spruced up in Unreal4.

Last edited:

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Hmm, how long is Heartland?

Might have to check it out.
Well there are two sets of characters to pick at the start, each with their own tales. Then there's the overall story goal which gets revealed. I'm a savor the flavor kind of guy, so i don't know really. I played the Guy and gal twice, because Malik died early, and i wanted to see if i could complete it without losing anyone, and then the two gals and their storyline which i'm in the process of enjoying now. If you mainled the story in a hurry, maybe four to six hours there for each set of characters. But like i said, i'm taking in the whole ball of wax, slowly.

There are also heros to recruit to your community each with their own stat bonuses, looks and quirks. Some of the heros you have to make a choice on and decide between one of the two. Also poking around for the echo weapons, and special weapon caches is definetly worth doing. Especially for the 30 mag short barrel auto shotgun.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
State of Decay 2 was great at its core and I finished like 4 communities. Heartland ditched the best parts of it for a totally pointless and mediocre story I couldn't be bothered to finish.

If they can take the foundation of 2, continue adding mechanics, keep filling out the current mechanics, and for the love of God do some damn QA, then State of Decay 3 will be absolutely terrific.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I tried to play it about a month ago and it ran horrendously and I'm still disappointed that when you play co-op that your partner can't help build or upgrade your base.
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. I only played the first game and really looked the gameplay loop, there is a lot of potential in this IP and given more resources I hope their third attempt will be even better.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
State of Decay games just feel like a chore to me. You have to manage so many aspects of the gameplay that there is hardly any moments where you can have fun with it. It is like the developers say "Lets see how we can make more ways to put the player to work and have more to worry about" rather than making the game enjoyable.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
State of Decay games just feel like a chore to me. You have to manage so many aspects of the gameplay that there is hardly any moments where you can have fun with it. It is like the developers say "Lets see how we can make more ways to put the player to work and have more to worry about" rather than making the game enjoyable.
Regarding the feels like a chore thing, i can understand. there was a period of time when i first downloaded the game on GP, and went through the trader legacy, where in i felt like i was barely treading water, in fear of sinking. Eventually though, after some stuggling, and frustrations, i broke free of the tide, and not only started making ground towards the shore, but also becomming a lord of the ocean.

Then I played the DLC, and DreddMare zones and there i was again each time starting on the outskirts of a frightful whirlpool, and there in again each time after learing to float, i started to swim, and now i'm the captain again.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wonder if State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves will com to Steam now that MS is fine with that.

An Undead Labs dev was caught playing the Steam version of SoD2 in a livestream last April, and Spencer, amidst seemingly saying that Steam versions of existing WinStore titles are something that will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, mentioned that "Sea of Thieves might have been our most requested game to come to Steam", so it's safe to say they're sure things.

Last edited: