• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nah Win10 since the early builds, but the amount of people who'd buy a game on Windows Store compared to Steam is ridiculously small.

We all know that. And there is still gonna be a playerbase of PC players. Sea of Thieves did pretty good on the Store and so did Forza Horizon 3.
But at the end it doesnt matter. There is only one playerbase because its full crossplay.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. I actually stopped playing TLoU for the first game when it came out (I like mechanics-driven games). I'm not going anywhere near the Win10 store, so this game coming out on a PC marketplace people actually want to use is pretty nice.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
We all know that. And there is still gonna be a playerbase of PC players. Sea of Thieves did pretty good on the Store and so did Forza Horizon 3.

Both games sold "pretty good" compared to other Windows Store exclusive games, which probably means something like "more than 100k". This is peanuts compared to other popular games sold in competent stores at decent prices.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Any link that SoT did around, or even close to 100k on PC?

Microsoft doesn't report any WinStore sales, so no, we don't know. Greenberg only said it's the best selling WinStore game, meaning it must have sold more than FH3 and AoE DE.

Also, the playerbase isn't bound to sales only, since many people played the game using (the free trial of) Game Pass.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the last SOT beta had a 50/50 split, so I assume better than 100k.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft doesn't report any WinStore sales, so no, we don't know. Greenberg only said it's the best selling WinStore game, meaning it must have sold more than FH3 and AoE DE.

Also, the playerbase isn't bound to sales only, since many people played the game using (the free trial of) Game Pass.

It was approximately 2 million users. Let's say the Game Pass made up 50% (personally I think that number is way too high) which leaves us with about 1 million, the closest thing to a Xbox/PC breakdown we've gotten is 50/50 from the betas, which would leave it at about 500k.

Not setting the world on fire, but certainly not a bad number

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Apparently the last SOT beta had a 50/50 split, so I assume better than 100k.

Around 32% of the beta players played on PC. According to PC gamer, that's around 110k.

It was approximately 2 million users. Let's say the Game Pass made up 50% (personally I think that number is way too high) which leaves us with about 1 million, the closest thing to a Xbox/PC breakdown we've gotten is 50/50 from the betas, which would leave it at about 500k.

Not setting the world on fire, but certainly not a bad number

I'd be surprised of the number of sales on PC even came close to 500k, especially with the ridiculous €70 pricetag in Europe. Many people tried the game with the free 14 day Game Pass trial, several popular sites mentioned this possibility. But without actual sales numbers (which we're never gonna see) there's no way to be sure of course.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Around 32% of the beta players played on PC. According to PC gamer, that's around 110k.

I'd be surprised of the number of sales on PC even came close to 500k, especially with the ridiculous €70 pricetag in Europe. Many people tried the game with the free 14 day Game Pass trial, several popular sites mentioned this possibility. But without actual sales numbers (which we're never gonna see) there's no way to be sure of course.
Ted Timmins did a PC gamer talk at one of their events and revealed the scale test had a 50/50 split.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
No that was the scale test happening at that moment. Closed beta was 30/35%
Scale test doesn't matter it's still the same point, the player base was a 50/50 split of users. As the scale test was about getting as many players as possible concurrent, so I find it even more surprising due to that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Scale test doesn't matter it's still the same point, the player base was a 50/50 split of users. As the scale test was about getting as many players as possible concurrent, so I find it even more surprising due to that.

Just correcting you on that it wasnt the final beta. But the closed beta and that the 50/50 was from the scale test. :)

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If 30% of the players are on PC, there would be 600.000 Windows 10 players. But then we still don't know the amount of Gamepass-users. My guess is 250k sales.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching one of the old Twitch streams, and at one point someone asks if it's going to be released on Windows 7, or 10 only. And the developer responds: "The initial release is Windows 10 only".
Which may (or may not) means that the Steam release have a DX11 render.

Around the 29 minute mark.

Later, he mentions that each of the 3 maps are not only similar in size than the 1st one, but also have more density (more things to do), which it's easy to notice on the videos.

Last edited: