• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which May exclusive game are you more excited for?

• State of Decay 2

Votes: 650 47.8%
  • Detroit: Become Human

Votes: 711 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Detroid no doubt. I love David Cage's games and this is looking really exciting to me.

State of Decay i'll have to wait and see. It looks promising but I'll wait how polished the game turns out to be.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no fan of co-op zombie games, and I am very interested in games trying to push interactive storytelling. So yeah, Detroit.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Windows is an MS platform.

So Zelda BOTW isn't an exclusive by your logic since it's on WiiU
What are you talking about? The guy you quoted is actually talking about exclusive in terms of console. He might have missed the fact that Windows is MS's platform and thus a game on PC is still exclusive to Windows, but he's not wrong in that the game isn't on xbox one, the console, thus not an actual exclusive that cannot be found anywhere but the console itself, like Sony or Nintendo had with their consoles. Wii U is clearly a Nintendo's console.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
State of Decay is a survival Zombie sim with base management. Name a single survival zombie sim released on console this gen? I could be wrong but I can't think of any...

I wasn't saying there was another game exactly the same, more that I personally see zombie shooters and zombie survival games as a completely oversaturated market/overdone concept, to the point that I tire of it. Off the top of my head Dying Light, They Are Hundreds, Zombie Army Trilogy, Dead Rising, 7 Days To Die, Metro 2033, Walking Dead, Res Evil 0 HD remake, DayZ, Dead Island, How to Survive, Deadlight Director's Cut, even the Division survival DLC all share many similarities to State if Decay. I'm sorry I genuinely don't have the time or inclination to list specific comparisons with each game, but I'm sure you understand I'm not saying they are all exactly the same, just that in my eyes they are all extremely similar. From what I've seen State of Decay 2 has nothing special that makes it stand out from any of the other zombie games, of which there are loads, and the series has been an indie cult gem rather than a AAA masterpiece. "Survive a zombie outbreak" is an extremely popular premise for a video game, and many current gem games feature zombies in some form or other.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Off the top of my head Dying Light, They Are Hundreds, Zombie Army Trilogy, Dead Rising, 7 Days To Die, Metro 2033, Walking Dead, Res Evil 0 HD remake, DayZ, Dead Island, How to Survive, Deadlight Director's Cut, even the Division survival DLC all share many similarities to State if Decay.

The only similarity between these games and State of Decay is zombies. Some of the games you mentioned are so different that not even the zombies can be used as a comparison. How familiar are you with SoD?

Simplifying it to "survive a zombie outbreak" is as reductive and meaningless as saying all jrpgs are about "saving the world".

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit looks god awful. I would rather play state of decay 2 but im not really excited for it.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
State of Decay 2 looks pretty shallow.

I had hopes it would be a 3d version of Project Zomboid, but I don't think that's what they are delivering.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lighting and how it's exceptionally dark in just that one area. Enough for you to see the glowing eyes of the zombie. Lightening in games done right is a huge plus for me. I can't imagine how awesome it would be when instead of one set of eyes, there's a shitload coming after you.
Actual night time lighting is a rare thing in video games.
Hmmm, now that you mention it, it does look interesting to see the glowing eyes only.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Detroit makes me want to fall asleep every time I see something on it so definitely State of Decay by default

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
But most here are PS4 owners, not gaming pc or Xbox owners so moot point what you're saying

I think people owning PC and/or Xbox One might be a lot more people than you think. This is after all, a primary US forum.

Anyway, so glad that State of Decay 2 has so much fanfare. But still surprised that so many people think that state of decay 2 is primary a online co-op game.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
The only similarity between these games and State of Decay is zombies. Some of the games you mentioned are so different that not even the zombies can be used as a comparison. How familiar are you with SoD?

Simplifying it to "survive a zombie outbreak" is as reductive and meaningless as saying all jrpgs are about "saving the world".

Sorry I don't mean to sound dismissive of the game. I did play the first State of Decay and I just didn't get into it at all. To me they really are all just zombie games with their own twists on gameplay mechanics, but still just zombie games. I do see your point, I am just personally tired of zombies as a whole. It seems like every shooter these days has to have zombies. I suppose most RPGs do have you saving the world, but I suppose what makes them feel fresh to me are the enemies are all different and unique to the various series. I guess I find that zombies as enemies all feel roughly the same as in any other zombie game, and the whole zombie premise as I said just feels overdone. I get that a lot of people are really into zombie games, it's obviously just not for me :)

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Detroit, definitely. Looks great. Loving the "repetitive trash" comments. Really? You've seen enough of it to dismiss it that way? Either way, I'll probably get both, but if I had to choose, easily Detroit.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Detroit, if not by default.

Never had any interest in State of Decay. Tried it on 360 and wasn't feeling it. I've always liked Cage's games on the other hand.

Plus, despite Cage's comments, I'm very interested in the premise of Detroit. Between exploring the ideas slavery, fully functioning AI androids (and how they react to realizing their position), and being set in Detroit, the game is right up my alley.

I probably won't end up getting it day 1, but if the consensus is that it's decent, then I'll definitely be picking it up.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I don't mean to sound dismissive of the game. I did play the first State of Decay and I just didn't get into it at all. To me they really are all just zombie games with their own twists on gameplay mechanics, but still just zombie games. I do see your point, I am just personally tired of zombies as a whole. It seems like every shooter these days has to have zombies. I suppose most RPGs do have you saving the world, but I suppose what makes them feel fresh to me are the enemies are all different and unique to the various series. I guess I find that zombies as enemies all feel roughly the same as in any other zombie game, and the whole zombie premise as I said just feels overdone. I get that a lot of people are really into zombie games, it's obviously just not for me :)

its perfectly fine to not be interested to the theme in general; i was particularly tired of zombie themed games as well. which is why SoD surprised me, because despite having zombies and you being possible of shooting them, the focus of the game is not that - its the human side of the zombie outbreak. how communities form, how communities sustain themselves, how the members in it interact which each other. its a game about the humans first and the zombies as a backdrop (again similar to the walking dead comics) - comparing it to shooters like ZAT or linear action adventure games like RE really dont do it any justice because the game couldnt be any more different in what it wants to achieve. you're not Protagonist McShounen the one man army mowing through hordes and hordes of zombies searching for x objective, you're a community of different people with different personalities and skills trying to coexist and survive in a zombie apocalypse world. the game is a simulation game first, survival game second and action oriented shooter as a distant third.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Both eventually.

State of Decay 2 first, it's cheaper, I loved the first game. Can't say the same for Beyond two souls.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
Cage's writing guarantees that Detroid will be hilariously terrible. It's a shame that their tech and art is wasted on these games. The only interest I have is watching the Detroit version of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y. I'm not overly excited for State of Decay 2 but I have actual negative interest in actually playing Detroit so SoD2 wins by default.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The first State of Decay was something really special. There just aren't many games like it, and it was so close to being perfect for me. The endgame and base mechanics were just a little flat. I wish I currently had an XBO to play it on. I'll play both though eventually. I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy for what is was.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Lots of hot takes in this thread. All in good fun I take it. That being the case, here's mine.

Detroit is a big budget AAA, technically accomplished, great artistic merit, mature story telling, single-player, aimed at diversifying and attracting new people to gaming.

SoD2 follows the now well trodden Microsoft template of being undercooked, with shoddy presentation and jank. Aimed primarily at US males who need something after the PUBG jankfest (because they wouldn't touch SoT). A few interesting gameplay mechanics, but even Microsoft see it as a budget offering.

Is that enough generalisations for ya. ;-)

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
QDs other games are not terrible at best and SoD1 was pretty good. So, SoD.

I wasn't saying there was another game exactly the same, more that I personally see zombie shooters and zombie survival games as a completely oversaturated market/overdone concept, to the point that I tire of it. Off the top of my head Dying Light, They Are Hundreds, Zombie Army Trilogy, Dead Rising, 7 Days To Die, Metro 2033, Walking Dead, Res Evil 0 HD remake, DayZ, Dead Island, How to Survive, Deadlight Director's Cut, even the Division survival DLC all share many similarities to State if Decay. I'm sorry I genuinely don't have the time or inclination to list specific comparisons with each game, but I'm sure you understand I'm not saying they are all exactly the same, just that in my eyes they are all extremely similar. From what I've seen State of Decay 2 has nothing special that makes it stand out from any of the other zombie games, of which there are loads, and the series has been an indie cult gem rather than a AAA masterpiece. "Survive a zombie outbreak" is an extremely popular premise for a video game, and many current gem games feature zombies in some form or other.

You are just listing games that have zombies in them. Saying State of Decay is extremely similar to any of those is about the same as saying it is extremely similar to Detroit.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm a fan of most Sony exclusives, but David Cage games don't really appeal to me
Way more interested in State of Decay 2, but won't pick it up at launch
Still not burned out on zombies, The Last of Us 2, Walking Dead: The Final Season, and Days Gone are all high on my wishlist

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
From what I've seen State of Decay 2 has nothing special that makes it stand out from any of the other zombie games, of which there are loads, and the series has been an indie cult gem rather than a AAA masterpiece.

You haven't been paying attention, since that's completely wrong. Maybe you should give it a try.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
These people who are saying that State of Decay is generic. That's like saying that Dark Souls is generic because it has dudes fighting with swords and armor.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. It'll outsell both games mentioned. Of the two Detroit looks a lot less derivative and more likely to be another ace in Sony's pocket.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
You haven't been paying attention, since that's completely wrong. Maybe you should give it a try.

I did try the first one and I didn't like it, and I read that 2 is shaping up to be essentially more of the same, just bigger and better, but all the same mechanics, premise etc so I can't really see that I would suddenly enjoy it. I appreciate fans of it like yourself will obviously feel differently, but it wasn't for me. For what it's worth I really hope it does well and that you and all the fans have a lot of fun with it :)