• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Okay so the bug with your survivors falling off lookout positions is also in Container Fort.

This didn't happen prior to the update. At least not for me.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I am still having a hard time farming influence bucks, anyone have good tips?
If you're ever driving in a vehicle, be sure to run down zombies. You still get the 5 influence per kill, or more for special zombies, which really adds up after a while.

Also, sell your luxury items. They build up and each one nets anywhere between 30-100+ influence. Hauling them down to a trader or friendly enclave is 100% worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the game design is kind of flat just do to how systems-based the game is, but I was wondering if the more Hearts you destroy if the rest of them get an increased HP pool or anything like that?

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Just finished up my 4th playthrough (completed all Legacy Boons and all achievements except for the 10,000 kills - 4 playthroughs and I'm only at 53%. Holy hell). Gonna' take this one for the long game, farming all supplies I can, but stop right before the end in case DLC adds any new dynamic to the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I am still having a hard time farming influence bucks, anyone have good tips?

If you're ever driving in a vehicle, be sure to run down zombies. You still get the 5 influence per kill, or more for special zombies, which really adds up after a while.

Also, sell your luxury items. They build up and each one nets anywhere between 30-100+ influence. Hauling them down to a trader or friendly enclave is 100% worth it.

You can use a supply locker at friendly enclaves which helps a lot. Sell mods you don't need as well, no reason to keep five portable generators in your locker.

I just finished my first play through, on my second I'll sell a lot of my guns and weapons. I had a locker full of machetes that never got used once

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
You can use a supply locker at friendly enclaves which helps a lot. Sell mods you don't need as well, no reason to keep five portable generators in your locker.

I just finished my first play through, on my second I'll sell a lot of my guns and weapons. I had a locker full of machetes that never got used once
Huh. Is that... not a bug?

I've done that before and just assumed it was a bug.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
And use the satellite broadcast on your command center. The upgraded Level 3 CC gives you 20% extra on all influence you gain, even when trading.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
You can move as soon as you upgrade your command center to level 2 (just need materials and labor) and research new territories, which takes 10-15 minutes.

Thanks! On my way to Druckard. Heard is the hardest of the three due to the topography. Let's see how it goes.

I am on my way to getting every achievement. I like when games have doable achievements, I mean, they all are "technically" doable, but some are just crazy. Can't remember the last time a game hooked me like this one. I can't stop playing.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent so much time just working on my base and farming supplies. I have only killed on plague heart so far lol

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017
I am on my way to getting every achievement. I like when games have doable achievements, I mean, they all are "technically" doable, but some are just crazy. Can't remember the last time a game hooked me like this one. I can't stop playing.

Yep, I can't praise this achievements enough. The list pretty much covers everything you can do in the game, without making you getting sick of it. Distribution is great as well, with early-game popping a bunch of smaller ones, then decreasing in frequency, so you can hunt each of them down as you'd like to. The only tough/time-consuming one is the 10k kills, I'm 87% on that, and just started my 4th playthrough. My target is 1000G here as well, and I hope they extend the list later.

I also enjoy how the game transforms around the 3rd playthrough, where instead of plain survival and discovery, I'm trying to figure out the optimal ways to build, recruit and loot. I remember the first playthrough reaching into 20 days or so, the 3rd one I could've done in 6-7 if I didn't spread out timing between the last 3-4 hearts to loot weapons for the next playthrough and farm some kills.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Finished all the legacies. I got a lot of mileage from this game. As much as I love this game, the game can do with some improvements.

Improvements like:
  • Enlisted survivors should continue their story even when in combat. I'm so sick of, "Back in the day, Oh shit zombies!" Over and over again, and all I'm doing is driving.
  • More often then not, multiple quests pop up at the same time. I think those should be spread out more evenly. Same with requests from other enclaves. Sometimes enclaves will ask for help, as soon as a few minutes after finishing their last requests.

For the next game, I would for it to be more in depth, even if it means a higher price tag. After all, it's a very unique game within the zombie genre. Only zombie game I can think of that has base management is Dead State on PC, and that's a more turn base tactics game.

I got some ideas I would like to see for State of Decay 3.

• A longer campaign with a story. Can keep the leader traits, but I think it would be better if the campaign wasn't catered to the leader trait. The trait should still give unique bonuses.
  • As someone else mentioned, a free form base building would be great. A lot of the bases have a lot of empty space that you can definitely fill up. Heck one of the starting bases has a large garage within the base that isn't be used. Perhaps the ability to clear the are around a base and expand the size.
  • A reputation system helping or raiding other enclaves would affect your reputation as well as attract other survivors who settle in your map. Can work with leadership traits as well. If you decide to be a trader or sheriff, you can build a coalition of enclaves, but also attract raiders because of the wealth you amass. Warlords can force smaller communities to give tribute but also, risk the danger vigilantes coming into town to liberate them.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Both me and my friend took about 20 salvage runs to figure out we weren't supposed to be breaking down duffel bags. Our first bases almost died before we figured this out.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
For the next game, I would for it to be more in depth, even if it means a higher price tag.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It was a mistake by Phil Spencer to not buy this IP and studio and put AAA resources behind this game.

The first State of Decay was incredibly popular despite being jankware and not a retail game. When I heard all the hype about sequel, I figured Microsoft had finally found a new AAA IP. I was expecting AAA graphics, sound and gameplay, with dedicated servers. Instead, (5 years later!) we get a buggy AA $30 game.

Do I love playing it? Yes!

Do I think it should have been so much more? Yes!

EasyCompany

Jan 28, 2018
After going my entire play through without making human enemies and without killing any non-zombies...

I've entered the Warload endgame which has me killing so many humans! Sorry Coalition.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
Free form base building would be excellent. It was disappointing to see the same approach carried forward into this game. Having a system like in Fallout 4's settlements, or even RimWorld, would make much more sense.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
So anyone notice the radio also tells a story in the background? Redtalon and recurring character Lilly Ritter? What I don't like is that you need to keep playing, either through the same community or new one for the story to unfold. Again this is why there should be longer campaigns. There's only so much you can do in one run. Finished my 4th campaign and I don't even think that story is done yet so I'm going to have to do one or more now.

I used the lichenologist from my first community :(

I'm going to save up my influence, buy a .50 cal and just roll through the plague hearts in double time

My 4th community, I used the warlord legacy and got a .50 cal lol. Gonna use that again, but kind of torn between builder and trader.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It was a mistake by Phil Spencer to not buy this IP and studio and put AAA resources behind this game.

The first State of Decay was incredibly popular despite being jankware and not a retail game. When I heard all the hype about sequel, I figured Microsoft had finally found a new AAA IP. I was expecting AAA graphics, sound and gameplay, with dedicated servers. Instead, (5 years later!) we get a buggy AA $30 game.

Agreed. I thought the first game sold enough that Microsoft could have better supported them for the sequel.

Free form base building would be excellent. It was disappointing to see the same approach carried forward into this game. Having a system like in Fallout 4's settlements, or even RimWorld, would make much more sense.

Yes agreed. With in reason of course. Can't turn half the county into your base lol.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Not getting to pick what map you go to when starting a new game (and skipping the tutorial) is crazy. I hope they update the game with the ability to choose.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I change my mind about the utility truck being the best vehicle.

Best vehicle in fact is the Brogan Trekker. It's not the fastest, but it's really fast. Somewhat durable, holds 4 passengers, and has like 8 truck space. Also small profile makes it easy to access some gaps on the roads.

Only complaint that it's such a small vehicle, I find myself entering the car when I'm trying to refuel or access the truck. The curse of one button do all.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Both me and my friend took about 20 salvage runs to figure out we weren't supposed to be breaking down duffel bags. Our first bases almost died before we figured this out.

I did that in State of Decay 1. It killed my team in that I was down to one character and I went out into the woods for a final hurrah. Then I tried again after reading how to play on the internet.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Church on the Hill base has two unused rooms in the back. One can be turned into a 2 person bedroom and one can be the personal bedroom of the leader. Free form base building sounding so sweet.

Also any base that has a built in look out point like the corner office or Church should count as a sniper tower for the Builder legacy. Just wasting space.

Is the most I'm going to get out of a outpost +1 for a material?
Yes. Some outpost give access to water and electricity but cost 1 fuel a day.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
The RNG that spawns enclaves wants me to murder people. I've had an enclave pop about 4 houses down from my base three times now that threatens me for supplies. The first one I humored them since I had plenty seeing if they'd turn friendly. Their last quest was a threat to take my base so I had to put them down. About three game days later and in the exact same house a different enclave does the same shakedown tactic. This time I just killed them. Three more game days and ANOTHER one pops with the same tactic...

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Do NPC survivors in your group use ammo?

Also, I feel like the only point of the armory is to make professional silencers. Am I missing something?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enclaves are horribly designed in this. The constant fetch quests that keep popping up are really starting to piss me off. Not to mention how they'll just disappear on you if you dare not to do one of their errands after having done a bunch of previous things for them. Really hope the Steam version gets decent mod support like the original so we can get a rebalance like QMJS again to fix it. There's a lot of potential here, but it needs a lot of work to make it less annoying.

EDIT: Also, zombies just clip through objects when hanging onto your vehicle, preventing you from strategically using lampposts to knock them off like in the original game. Fantastic.

Last edited:

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Need some advice for state of Decay. I can't seem to upgrade my base any further and it's at a standstill. It says I need experience in certain things and I have a bunch of manuals that give characters experience but when I try to use them it says something like "character cannot learn any further skills" so I can't build anymore. Also can't seem to recruit anyone else no matter how many strangers I help.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
Need some advice for state of Decay. I can't seem to upgrade my base any further and it's at a standstill. It says I need experience in certain things and I have a bunch of manuals that give characters experience but when I try to use them it says something like "character cannot learn any further skills" so I can't build anymore. Also can't seem to recruit anyone else no matter how many strangers I help.
Characters can only have five skills in total (cardio, fighting, wits, and shooting are the base skills, anything after that is a specialized skill). You'll want to use the skill books on characters without a fifth skill.

The soft cap on survivors in your community is nine, hard cap is 12. Only under special circumstances can you get past nine (like the builder legacy, or having eight survivors and you recruit a group of three or so). If you're not at that cap and you're just having bad luck with missions where they don't want to join, you can always recruit from allied enclaves or search for survivors with your radio.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Characters can only have five skills in total (cardio, fighting, wits, and shooting are the base skills, anything after that is a specialized skill). You'll want to use the skill books on characters without a fifth skill.

The soft cap on survivors in your community is nine, hard cap is 12. Only under special circumstances can you get past nine (like the builder legacy, or having eight survivors and you recruit a group of three or so). If you're not at that cap and you're just having bad luck with missions where they don't want to join, you can always recruit from allied enclaves or search for survivors with your radio.

Thanks but i knew this. The issue I have is that I can't recruit anyone and the books are not working. My base is just a mess now and I'm constantly losing stuff

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Locker UI needs an overhaul. Either a sorting option, or separate different weapon/ammo types like this example.
n4d8m72xfjz01.png

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA

This isn't as easy to do as it might first seem.

Time and again small studios have failed if ramped up too fast. Often times the leadership is unable to manage a larger studio or produce more complicated games without a slower ramp up.

Now that they have produced a good mid-tier budget game with SoD2, it may be possible to ramp up to full AAA over a couple years, but that likely means at least 4-5 years till their next game while they deliver DLC for SoD2.

With the success of SoD2, it's likely worth acquiring them as they have proven themselves.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
That moment when you accidentally pressed '''euthanize" instead of cure for a high rank survivor. Ugh..

Surely they would have thought to include a '''' you sure?' prompt..

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
That moment when you accidentally pressed '''euthanize" instead of cure for a high rank survivor. Ugh..

Yeah god a confirmation window is needed. I made an enclave leave by fumbling with the dialogue options. I was gonna turn in the rucksack I was carrying but instead said I couldn't help and they left immediately. From allied to gone with one button press.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

I did that by accident but was able to quickly close the game before it saved. It was close.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sometimes your character can just disappear if you switch to your follower. Fuck's sake.

EDIT: And she suddenly appeared in the road. Apparently she spawned back at the home base, and was running towards me from there.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Ok. Now you have me fantasizing. Free form (or semi-free form) base building that combines State of Decay zombies and resource gathering with Mad Max and it's car and hand to hand combat.

I love both those games and I think it's because I get satisfaction from building up the bases and taking over territory in both of them.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This isn't as easy to do as it might first seem.

Time and again small studios have failed if ramped up too fast. Often times the leadership is unable to manage a larger studio or produce more complicated games without a slower ramp up.

Now that they have produced a good mid-tier budget game with SoD2, it may be possible to ramp up to full AAA over a couple years, but that likely means at least 4-5 years till their next game while they deliver DLC for SoD2.

With the success of SoD2, it's likely worth acquiring them as they have proven themselves.

I see what you are saying. However, I thought they proved themselves as great game designers and mediocre programmers with the first game.... which we just got more evidence of with the second game. Hopefully they get some excellent programmers and a army of graphic artists for the 3rd game. That's really all they need.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Second playthrough in Cascade hills, was initially in the North Eastern base which is pretty isolated, just shifted to the SOmething Keogh Garage in the North West, what a base, totally changed my playthrough.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Second playthrough in Cascade hills, was initially in the North Eastern base which is pretty isolated, just shifted to the SOmething Keogh Garage in the North West, what a base, totally changed my playthrough.

That's where I am now. The built in distillery is the best as long as I keep remembering to turn the water on every hour. I'm about to move to the container fort though because that place looks amazing.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
What happens if you start a new community with survivors from previous communities, and they die? Do you lose them from your roster forever or do they get added back?