• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of think the spawn rate of the special zombies increases with every plague heart you kill, but it might just happen over time regardless. Either way, once I stopped panicking every time I saw a Juggernaut, none of the specials are really that bad unless you're already in a tough situation.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I kind of think the spawn rate of the special zombies increases with every plague heart you kill, but it might just happen over time regardless. Either way, once I stopped panicking every time I saw a Juggernaut, none of the specials are really that bad unless you're already in a tough situation.

This is true, but ferals do get my attention. Partly because they move fast and if you don't get them at range can be a threat, and secondly because in the first game my main guy got mauled to death by one 30m from home base.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

I think it might have to do with how many infestations you let build up. I get a lot more special zombies when I let the infestation cleanup lapse. It definitely causes more hordes.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It says there's a ton of infestations and yet the last few I cleared weren't even showing on the mini map. I don't know if this is a bug or whether this game is actually designed this way.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It says there's a ton of infestations and yet the last few I cleared weren't even showing on the mini map. I don't know if this is a bug or whether this game is actually designed this way.

It's a bug. It happens when an infestation appears in a place you've already cleared - which means you have to mouse over all of them to find them.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
So im trying to finish off my Trader Legacy and I've failed the mission twice because of glitches
First time I admit I screwed up brought a yellow gun which immediately broke, my partner disappeared and one of my trade partner died
Second time I brought an HK and my best fighter, of course my partner immediately disappears and the game starts going at like 10fps, and one of these knuckleheads died AGAIN!
I swear that the game has even WORSE performance after the most recent patch I recorded it hoping to upload it later

My wife asked for me to help her out after her car ran out of gas, her melee weapon broke, and she was out of ammo, and her partner disappeared, I had to sneak all the way to a gas station, secured the gas and sneak past 2 separate zombie hoards. IT was pretty pulse pounding

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So I started this up through Gamepass and so far it's been mixed at best.
I played through the tutorial, I've met and recruited Rodrigez, and then I got a mission to switch to Locke, which then gave me a mission to talk to Lee and then go do something. At that point I had to stop playing so quit the game. Now when I go back on the mission I had as Locke is gone and seems to be gone forever? If I switch to someone else and back to Locke, no luck. Switch to someone else and talk to Locke to try and make it happen again, no luck.
A bug like that kinda saps my enthusiasm to keep going since all that seems to be left is the endless loop of "Go out and scavenge for random stuff"

So far I have to say I'm sure as hell glad I didn't spend any money on this. The gameplay is kinda fun but the barely there narrative and games ability to just completely forget it gave you a mission makes it not seem worth bothering with.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully they just fix it soon because that's absurd. I've also had the game fully crash twice. My hope is with the acquisition they can get a lot more financial support because this shit is absurd. I am okay with there being no narrative.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So I started this up through Gamepass and so far it's been mixed at best.
I played through the tutorial, I've met and recruited Rodrigez, and then I got a mission to switch to Locke, which then gave me a mission to talk to Lee and then go do something. At that point I had to stop playing so quit the game. Now when I go back on the mission I had as Locke is gone and seems to be gone forever? If I switch to someone else and back to Locke, no luck. Switch to someone else and talk to Locke to try and make it happen again, no luck.
A bug like that kinda saps my enthusiasm to keep going since all that seems to be left is the endless loop of "Go out and scavenge for random stuff"

So far I have to say I'm sure as hell glad I didn't spend any money on this. The gameplay is kinda fun but the barely there narrative and games ability to just completely forget it gave you a mission makes it not seem worth bothering with.
It's not a bug. They are not story quests or anything, just based on the random "personality" of the characters you have. It will appear again in time. Exiting the game "deletes" all current quests but any request from other enclaves and random personality quests will appear again at random.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a bug. They are not story quests or anything, just based on the random "personality" of the characters you have. It will appear again in time. Exiting the game "deletes" all current quests but any request from other enclaves and random personality quests will appear again at random.
Ah right.

That's probably even worse for me then. Don't really think I can be bothered going back if all I'm going to do is just random quests that amount to "Use particular character to scavenge particular place" with no real progression other than whatever random crap I pick up.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Ah right.

That's probably even worse for me then. Don't really think I can be bothered going back if all I'm going to do is just random quests that amount to "Use particular character to scavenge particular place" with no real progression other than whatever random crap I pick up.
The idea is to kill all the plague hearts, then elect a leader and do their few (about 3) "story" quests which makes you win, while trying to balance the happiness and resources of your community. It's a very niche type of game.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So have the dev team said if the fan getting super loud on the community tab screen is a bug or not? Been reading some reports of peoples xbox x consoles actually shutting down when being on that screen!

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Ah right.

A few of the quests lead to some good weapons. Then you can load up your favorite survivor with all the gear, finish the story, and take the character and everything they had on them to start a new community.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Is there an easy way to find the plague heart in the map? Also is there a benefit to keeping it around?
Theoretically as long as there's a plague heart, there are going to be plague zombies around, and you can use the plague samples they drop when you kill them to craft antidotes that have high trade value and an easy way to earn influence. I wouldn't keep them around just for that though, since you also get influence by trading in highvalue item and doing missions, even just killing zeds.

Cyros

Oct 27, 2017
Been dipping my toe in and out the past week after watching a lot of YouTube footage. Ran into my first glitch of two infestation zombies not spawning. That actually does bum me out, but most things have gone well otherwise, and I'm enjoying it.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
My wife asked for me to help her out after her car ran out of gas, her melee weapon broke, and she was out of ammo, and her partner disappeared, I had to sneak all the way to a gas station, secured the gas and sneak past 2 separate zombie hoards. IT was pretty pulse pounding
By the way you can withdraw a rucksack of gas from the base screen no matter where you are in the world, and then break it down to get a gas can. It feels kind of cheap though, your story was much more exciting.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
By the way you can withdraw a rucksack of gas from the base screen no matter where you are in the world, and then break it down to get a gas can. It feels kind of cheap though, your story was much more exciting.
LOL oh yeah I forgot about that. At this point though I'm pretty much playing for thrills though and having that pulse pounding was worth the risk!

Oct 30, 2017
Maaaaan - I went into this completely cold turkey, looked at no previews no nothing.

I just played this for the first time after loving SoD1
But after one hour I just felt like I was playing a bigger version.

I'll give it another go later tonight but my enthusiasm took a massive hit

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Maaaaan - I went into this completely cold turkey, looked at no previews no nothing.

I just played this for the first time after loving SoD1
But after one hour I just felt like I was playing a bigger version.

I'll give it another go later tonight but my enthusiasm took a massive hit
Well you're not wrong. At least too me.

Felt like the only thing improved was the character development. Game can feel fast paced at times due to the frequent requests from enclaves, and base events. The "story" is shorter.

The base building is a bit improved but it doesn't work well with the legacy quests.

Oct 30, 2017
Well you're not wrong. At least too me.

Felt like the only thing improved was the character development. Game can feel fast paced at times due to the frequent requests from enclaves, and base events. The "story" is shorter.

The base building is a bit improved but it doesn't work well with the legacy quests.

Yup - gave it another go.

I can't play it - I loved the first game; even bought a 360 just to play it as everything about the game at the time appealed to me.
But I'd have hoped for some evolution of gameplay; as my memory is quite good I can remember going through that game as if it was yesterday. And my brain as soon as I did the same things again with SoD2 it just went.... noooope!

I'm disappointed but also relieved as my gaming back log is huge!

Last edited:

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Can't help but think how amazing this game would be if they did something like Minecraft Realms: the state of your world being stored on Azure servers so your friends can play while you're not around, and everyone contributes to the settlement.

That being said I hope the MS backing they got now ensures a lot of patches to fix the game. It ran horribly the last time I tried it.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but think how amazing this game would be if they did something like Minecraft Realms: the state of your world being stored on Azure servers so your friends can play while you're not around, and everyone contributes to the settlement.

That being said I hope the MS backing they got now ensures a lot of patches to fix the game. It ran horribly the last time I tried it.

I wonder if being part of Microsoft means that they can afford to go down the MMO RPG route that was rumoured a while back

Gripey

Oct 25, 2017
Just got prompted for another 5gb update.

Patch 1.4 Highlights
  • Fixed issue with ladders where players would sometimes not mount the ladders properly during descents and as a result fall off and take damage.
  • Fixed some rare instances of odd follower behavior where players would sometimes lose their follower entirely, or the follower would disappear and then teleport to the player later.
  • Door state should now always match its visuals. (No more running face first into a door that looks open!)

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing and a little confused. First off, the play anywhere is so fucking good. Love being able to play on pc and then Xbox. Although takes getting used to with lower FPS.

Anyway, it tells me to setup and outpost...but I'm already in my outpost and I claimed another building? Why does it keep telling me to set one up? Also tells me I need to be near water..so do I need to just go setup a building by water? And my god my survivors are never happy, it's like the sims. I will say I'm so glad they fixed the amount of zombies that bother you compared to the first one. You couldn't go in a building without 5 showing up.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Patch 1.4 Highlights
  • Fixed issue with ladders where players would sometimes not mount the ladders properly during descents and as a result fall off and take damage.
  • Fixed some rare instances of odd follower behavior where players would sometimes lose their follower entirely, or the follower would disappear and then teleport to the player later.
  • Door state should now always match its visuals. (No more running face first into a door that looks open!)

https://www.stateofdecay.com/2018/06/15/state-of-decay-2-patch-1-4-is-live/

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I just started playing and a little confused. First off, the play anywhere is so fucking good. Love being able to play on pc and then Xbox. Although takes getting used to with lower FPS.

Anyway, it tells me to setup and outpost...but I'm already in my outpost and I claimed another building? Why does it keep telling me to set one up? Also tells me I need to be near water..so do I need to just go setup a building by water? And my god my survivors are never happy, it's like the sims. I will say I'm so glad they fixed the amount of zombies that bother you compared to the first one. You couldn't go in a building without 5 showing up.
Just to be clear your base and your Outposts are two different things. Your base is your primary home, and Outposts are other buildings in the world that you setup with a supply locker and can give you benefits like +1 food a day in the case of restaurants. You can have up to maybe 6 Outposts if you have a fully upgraded and modded radio station in your base. The game is probably nudging you to create more Outposts.

Not sure what the water thing means. It's possible to have a rainwater collector or a still that can make you water in your base, but I've never seen anything telling me to put my base near water. I'm not even sure how that would work.

Survivors being unhappy can be for any number of reasons, but mostly it's lack of resources and infestations. Make sure you don't run low on food, meds, ammo materials or fuel and if you can stomp out infestations in the world.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear your base and your Outposts are two different things. Your base is your primary home, and Outposts are other buildings in the world that you setup with a supply locker and can give you benefits like +1 food a day in the case of restaurants. You can have up to maybe 6 Outposts if you have a fully upgraded and modded radio station in your base. The game is probably nudging you to create more Outposts.

Not sure what the water thing means. It's possible to have a rainwater collector or a still that can make you water in your base, but I've never seen anything telling me to put my base near water. I'm not even sure how that would work.

Survivors being unhappy can be for any number of reasons, but mostly it's lack of resources and infestations. Make sure you don't run low on food, meds, ammo materials or fuel and if you can stomp out infestations in the world.

Thanks so much!
Yeah I'll take a picture next time I load up. Says I need a watch tower and to be near water haha.

I claimed one medical building. Can I unclaim at a point? Just Incase I find something better

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Any chance they will add a nice content update? Or do you think they are working hard on SoD3?
There are at least two pieces of DLC planned, the Independence Day pack and the Daybreak pack.

"Independence Pack (available at a later date): celebrate independence with new vehicles, weapons, and gear that have been modified to give you patriotic new ways to mow down zombies.

Daybreak Pack (available at a later date): take the fight to the zombies in this all-new game mode that introduces a new map with new siege facilities, missions and a variety of events including the challenging new Horde mode."

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Thanks so much!
Yeah I'll take a picture next time I load up. Says I need a watch tower and to be near water haha.

I claimed one medical building. Can I unclaim at a point? Just Incase I find something better
Yes you can. In fact here's a sneaky tip. Any time you are going to search a building, make it an Outpost first. Then you get faster search times and you can dump the items you find directly into the supply locker. You can unclaim an Outpost from anywhere on the map too, you don't have to be at that Outpost.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.4 Highlights

https://www.stateofdecay.com/2018/06/15/state-of-decay-2-patch-1-4-is-live/
2 of these happened to me just today in my first hour of play haha

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can. In fact here's a sneaky tip. Any time you are going to search a building, make it an Outpost first. Then you get faster search times and you can dump the items you find directly into the supply locker. You can unclaim an Outpost from anywhere on the map too, you don't have to be at that Outpost.

Awesome. I also noticed when you first open something, it doesn't tell you what it is unless you move the cursor off and back on.
Is putting the crafting supplies in my locker make the, useable when looking at the garden or kitchen? And I need to find garden knowledge apparently

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Awesome. I also noticed when you first open something, it doesn't tell you what it is unless you move the cursor off and back on.
Is putting the crafting supplies in my locker make the, useable when looking at the garden or kitchen? And I need to find garden knowledge apparently
I think that's a new bug, it's been happening a lot to me lately.

Yes every facility mod goes into your supply locker, then you can slot it into the appropriate facility. You can learn skills by finding books.

Gripey

Oct 25, 2017

Just happened to me again, first mission out post-patch.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I repair weapons? And when I add a generator to something does it tell me what it does

Gripey

Oct 25, 2017
How do I repair weapons? And when I add a generator to something does it tell me what it does

Unless there's another way that I missed, you need to put the item back into the base's inventory, then you should see the option at the bottom of the screen when you highlight the item in there. Pretty sure it's the Y button.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with the big ass patches this game gets? I've now downloaded around 73 GBs for a game that's only supppsed to be 19GBs in total size

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the big ass patches this game gets? I've now downloaded around 73 GBs for a game that's only supppsed to be 19GBs in total size

I can't play the game right now because it needs an update, yet the update on the Windows 10 store just says downloading 50 MB and does nothing. Excuse my language, but this is fucking horsepoop. It needs an update every day.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I buy this using the Xbox app on W10, can I also install and play it on my Xbox One? Or would I have to buy a seperate copy/license for the Xbox?