• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else had issues with things not generating supplies? I made a garden and I have been constantly on the verge of starvation for the last four days. If there was some kind of "food has been added. Food has been used" transaction going on there, I haven't seen it at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I buy this using the Xbox app on W10, can I also install and play it on my Xbox One? Or would I have to buy a seperate copy/license for the Xbox?

Yeah, it's tied to your gamer tag so you can play on Xbox or PC. The saves transfer between platforms too

Has anyone else had issues with things not generating supplies? I made a garden and I have been constantly on the verge of starvation for the last four days. If there was some kind of "food has been added. Food has been used" transaction going on there, I haven't seen it at all.

The stuff gets added/subtracted when the day ticks over I believe. If you go to the base screen and click on the box that lists the various resources it will show you what is using/providing each resource.

Unless your survivors have traits that modify appetite (fast metabolism, likes to share food, competitive eater etc.) then each survivor will consume 1 food/day. If you have a garden that provides +2 food/day with 4 survivors (-4 food/day) that still leaves you with a deficit of -2 food/day.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I buy this using the Xbox app on W10, can I also install and play it on my Xbox One? Or would I have to buy a seperate copy/license for the Xbox?
Yes it's a play anywhere title.

Well a garden only produces so much (I believe unpgraded it may only produce 1 or 2 food a day). Your people require 1 food/day each. So if you're trying to be self sufficient you should upgrade the garden, mod it with something that boosts food yield (like fertilizer), and also make some Outposts that generate food.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I decided to start over with a new community. In hindsight, I may have taken on too many hungry survivors and I don't feel like going back and dealing with it :P

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I find 6 to be a good number of survivors. You can have 3 2-person teams, giving the 4 survivors at home time to rest and recuperate not to mention build facilities.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I decided to start over with a new community. In hindsight, I may have taken on too many hungry survivors and I don't feel like going back and dealing with it :P
You can also just exile survivors with no real penalty. I find nowadays I'm totally fine taking on survivors to be able to hit the minimum to move bases, then getting rid of those that are a drain on food/morale etc. Once I've built what I need.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Specifically, it does not matter how or where you buy the game as long as it's digital. Any of the following will get you digital access to State of Decay 2 on PC:
  • Redeeming a code
  • Buying on the web
  • Buying in the Win10 Microsoft Store
  • Buying through the Xbox Store on console
  • Buying in the Xbox app on Win10 / iOS / Android
  • Subscribing to Game Pass
In other words, it's impossible to own State of Decay 2 digitally and not have access to it on both PC and Xbox One.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
You can also just exile survivors with no real penalty. I find nowadays I'm totally fine taking on survivors to be able to hit the minimum to move bases, then getting rid of those that are a drain on food/morale etc. Once I've built what I need.
But don't you feel a little bad? I do.

Has anyone ever run into a survivor they exiled later in the game? It would be cool if there was some special dialogue that would pop if if you saw them again.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Well, just had the most brutal of all bugs happen today. I just got home from a 2 week vacation trip, and SoD2 updated. The update had an error, and I retried the update which appeared to succeed. Now, the game flashes the logo but then crashes to desktop. I've tried resetting the app and restarting my computer. Looks like I'm uninstalling and redownloading all 24 GB. This is my first time with a UWP game, and it's convincing me that Microsoft has no idea about what they're doing if they can't get a pretty basic function right.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
What is the next step after I get all my members to hero status? I've already chosen a leader as well (builder). Do I just keep going after plague hearts? I'm still on the map I started out with.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to post a picture of my base. I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. Also, how come turning on the generator or battery add on doesn't actually show me what benefit that gets me? Or do all of the things need power. That could be my issue lol

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
What is the next step after I get all my members to hero status? I've already chosen a leader as well (builder). Do I just keep going after plague hearts? I'm still on the map I started out with.
10-12 plague hearts eliminated + leader missions (some only unlock after you've wiped out the plague hearts) is the way to complete the campaign. You get a warning before your point of no return.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I need to post a picture of my base. I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. Also, how come turning on the generator or battery add on doesn't actually show me what benefit that gets me? Or do all of the things need power. That could be my issue lol
Each facility, as you select it and look at it on the base screen, should tell you if it needs power or water and what effect it has. Not everything needs power at all, or all the time. For example, there is a radio station upgrade that requires power to implement. But once you upgrade it, power is no longer needed.

There are some optional benefits to power and water, for example I think gardens of a certain level produce more food if its actively got water going to it.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each facility, as you select it and look at it on the base screen, should tell you if it needs power or water and what effect it has. Not everything needs power at all, or all the time. For example, there is a radio station upgrade that requires power to implement. But once you upgrade it, power is no longer needed.

There are some optional benefits to power and water, for example I think gardens of a certain level produce more food if its actively got water going to it.
Thanks

I feel like I'm playing right. But I'm always low on something and feel like my garden isn't doing enough. I'll have to sacrifice some chumps

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Thanks

I feel like I'm playing right. But I'm always low on something and feel like my garden isn't doing enough. I'll have to sacrifice some chumps
You probably are playing it right, but resources ebb and flow as you play the game. If food is an issue I recommend making food outposts. +1 food/day per outpost. Upgrading the radio station in your base gives you more outposts, plus there are at least two possible facility mods for the radio station that give you +1/+2 outposts just by slotting them in.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Eliminating plague hearts and doing your leader's missions are the main campaign goals.

10-12 plague hearts eliminated + leader missions (some only unlock after you've wiped out the plague hearts) is the way to complete the campaign. You get a warning before your point of no return.

Thanks. So will I be asked to move to the next map or is that completely optional? I don't really want to complete the game without visiting at least one of the other maps.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Thanks. So will I be asked to move to the next map or is that completely optional? I don't really want to complete the game without visiting at least one of the other maps.
Completely optional. You can go to a new map by research territories using the radio facility. Another idea to consider is to finish your legacy, thereby getting your boon (sort of like a community wide perk) for your next playthrough, then starting a new community on a new map.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Completely optional. You can go to a new map by research territories using the radio facility. Another idea to consider is to finish your legacy, thereby getting your boon (sort of like a community wide perk) for your next playthrough, then starting a new community on a new map.

Ok, thanks.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I want to give this game another go but have they added a 30FPS cap or motion blur options yet? Haven't seen it mentioned in the patch notes.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I forgot how much it sucks to really like a character and get used to using them and then losing them....permadeath was such a smart feature for this series.

Ugh....on to my next main.

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how much it sucks to really like a character and get used to using them and then losing them....permadeath was such a smart feature for this series.

Ugh....on to my next main.

I finally lost my first character, lichenologist that survived an early playthrough fell in the middle of a zombie invasion. I wasn't even controlling her at the time, seeing that tombstone at the back of the character screen was such a kick in the gut. RIP Rina, we won't forget you :*(

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I sincerely hope Microsoft pumps a lot of funds into this franchise since its 1st party now. Me and my wife who were massive SoD fans were excited at the thought of coop but its a huge fucking mess that is simply not enjoyable. I feel like the devs had a lot of good ideas but no infrastructure and execution is terrible. Everything feels so clunky and is an endless series of menus and terrible QoL choices.

The lag in coop makes doing anything a chore since zombies will randomly spawn out of thin air potentially killing you or putting you near death state. Just tried to do a plague heart mission and when the wave of zombies spawned in everything slowed to a crawl and almost caused us to die due to how clunky everything feels. Super frustrating since this game could be a real gem but the lack of polish and terrible servers just ruins any hope of a fun coop experience.

They also built this huge world to explore but it feels like the game actively makes you regret venturing out to do any actual exploring. Survivors are constantly bitching every 5 minutes about supplies being destroyed, they're hungry, they need meds, blah blah blah. But nobody actually does shit, they just complain and drain my resources faster then I can actually obtain new ones. Better build outpost that gives me a whopping ONE material per day, cool. Its the ultimate babysitting simulator of 2018. I want to just get in the car, drive around and discover new areas and gather supplies but its constantly interrupted by current community members bitching or random npcs begging for help and then complaining cause I didnt get there within a minute or two.

This is one of my favorite Xbox franchises and its obvious people enjoy it to an extent cause its doing really well sales wise but hopefully they can have proper development time and funds to really knock 3 out of the park. As it stands I just cant play this one anymore, causes more headaches and stress then I care to fight through.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
You have to harden your heart against people asking for your help every few minutes. If you try to do everything for every outside enclave, you'll never get anything done for your community. Maybe there's a broader message to this mechanic.

Your people should never be hungry or need meds. Ideally you want to have a garden and amass a good supply of food and medicine as soon as possible. Everything else you can run low on without too much trouble but not food or meds.

The messages about your people losing/ruining resources are annoying, I agree, but it shouldn't really affect you much. I think the makers of the game threw them in there so it wouldn't be too easy.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I just booted up SoD2 for the first time on PC. How do i invite my friend, or do i have to get so far in the story before i can?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Finally completed my first playthrough, will jump in for another playthrough somewhere down the line. Loved my time with this game.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
So I was playing yesterday and I had my first mission for my newly promoted leader. I was supposed to meet a guy and help him find resources in a barn somewhere. The barn had a plague heart in it so the two of us tried to take it down.

Usually in a situation like this, I would have gone back to get equipped with more explosives but the car I drove in had three remote mines in it so I was hoping that would get the job done.

It didn't. The two of us got swamped. I barely got out by the skin of my teeth while about thirty zombies and a feral gave chase. My friend wasn't so lucky. Does anyone know if my legacy missions can continue?

I'm the builder if that makes any difference.

Oct 25, 2017
So I was playing yesterday and I had my first mission for my newly promoted leader. I was supposed to meet a guy and help him find resources in a barn somewhere. The barn had a plague heart in it so the two of us tried to take it down.

Usually in a situation like this, I would have gone back to get equipped with more explosives but the car I drove in had three remote mines in it so I was hoping that would get the job done.

It didn't. The two of us got swamped. I barely got out by the skin of my teeth while about thirty zombies and a feral gave chase. My friend wasn't so lucky. Does anyone know if my legacy missions can continue?

I'm the builder if that makes any difference.

Unless it bugs out (which I think can happen in the Sheriff or Warlord missions, can't remember which) then don't worry, you're fine. I'm pretty certain the game won't let you get into a no-win situation no matter what happens, short of every one of your characters being killed.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Unless it bugs out (which I think can happen in the Sheriff or Warlord missions, can't remember which) then don't worry, you're fine. I'm pretty certain the game won't let you get into a no-win situation no matter what happens, short of every one of your characters being killed.
Yep. The legacy missons you get before all plague hearts are taken out don't seem to matter a whole lot.

microtubule

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good experiences with the latest patch so far. Before the patch I restarted a few times and could not progress past the first story mission.

I stupidly went on a late night run with an NPC to scout a storage shed on the other-side-of-town. I was speeding down the road and ran out of fuel right in front of two plague houses with tons of zombies outside. I walked 300 clicks to the shed mission in question and grabbed the duffle bags, found fuel along the way and stealthy refueled the truck and returned home. Very memorable but in many ways the game feels like State of Decay 1.2

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Radioing for resources is borked since the patch. Apparently UL is aware but the game is unplayable for me until the fix goes in.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
just started this... boy this is WAY harder than the first game. I liked how they balanced vehicle usage this time around. fuel is such an important resource. 60fps + no motion blur = great experience.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like every time I turn it on, there's another patch. Which is a good thing, but holy hell, these patches are huge.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I promised I wasn't going to restart in this sequel, but I've already broken that promise. You can fuck up so badly in this game.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I don't know if this was a bug or my mistake but I lost what I think is about half an hour of progress somehow. Usually I am very good about quitting to the main menu when I'm done with a session, plus the game should be autosaving automatically anyway. When I load my game I'm at a survey tower in the middle of Drucker County with two of my guys, but when I stopped playing the other day I had taken them home, switched out to a girl and taken her up to the north part of the map to check out the barricaded strip mall.

Has this happened to anyone else?