• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
TBH with the "price drop" and it being on Game Pass, I'm kinda surprised that it doesn't

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm guessing at launch? This is a gamepass title, I don't see a single Microsoft published game coming out without some kind of mtx. And I'm saying this as someone who thinks Gamepass is the biggest innovation in gaming in ages. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, this really makes me wonder how Game Pass is feasible.

No microtransactions and you're selling a $29.99* game for $9.99.

Game Pass is seriously the most consumer-friendly thing I've seen in quite some time. I don't understand how it works for the business, but I ain't the business.

*EDITTED for accuracy.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm guessing at launch? This is a gamepass title, I don't see a single Microsoft published game coming out without some kind of mtx. And I'm saying this as someone who thinks Gamepass is the biggest innovation in gaming in ages. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

No microtransactions and you're selling a $39.99 game for $9.99.

Game Pass is seriously the most consumer-friendly thing I've seen in quite some time. I don't understand how it works for the business, but I ain't the business.
It still (EDIT) has two DLC expansions on the way, so they can make additional money out of Game Pass subscribers that way. A bit like how we've just seen a Super Lucky's Tale DLC expansion launch at the same time that they game hit the service.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It still (EDIT) has two DLC expansions on the way, so they can make additional money out of Game Pass subscribers that way. A bit like how we've just seen a Super Lucky's Tale DLC expansion launch at the same time that they game hit the service.

Yeah, DLC will certainly help and the production couldn't be that expensive if they are selling to for 30 bucks a pop.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

They are not selling a 39.99 game for 9.99, they are renting it to you for a month for 9.99. Big difference.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Highly doubt it, considering it launches at discounted price and being on Game Pass.
Good for them if there is really no MT.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
DLC/MTX will be on these games as it makes sense.
Sea of Thieves doesn't make sense to have DLC because they don't want to alienate userbase. MTX (pets) does make sense because it doesn't really affect the userbase like that.
SOD2 can use DLC cuz it makes sense where MTX may not make sense.

I'm all for making what works.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. The answer from the stream was "not right now" or something along those lines.

Quote from wccftech: "there are no plans to add any kind of microtransactions right now"

Ugh I hope they won't add them at all. Dlc I'm ok with, mtx is a hard pass. I'm waiting for a steam release so will have time to see how things shake out I guess

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I see no issue with adding micro transactions later on in a games life, provided they don't change the game economy to do it.

If the game is fun at launch how does adding optional microtransactions change that?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So whats the publics opinion on micro transactions today? Are they all bad still or are we still loving an approach like Overwatch and Halo 5? I still dont understand the hate

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
As a point of clarification, when do the "steam release" comments for this, Thieves, etc. cross the line?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Then can you stop with your notions of "I'll wait for the steam version" please?

EDIT: Part of my comment was rude and I apologize for that.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off like a jerk, just being honest. I do have a hatred for the win 10 store so I'm definitely biased I will admit. I just figured since state of decay vanilla and YOSE came to steam eventually this would too. I double dipped the original on xbox and steam so I figured it would be there eventually. Didn't mean to derail

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll wait 3 months like Sea Of Thieves.

I think it's a very underhanded practice to wait until after reviews. I'm sure the corporate spin will have sound reasoning as to why it's not there in full at release. We already know that some will take gamers having an issue with this tactic as a slight to the game in question. It'll become a trend soon enough and MS will have to deal with the blow back.

Just be upfront Phil.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
They will have expansions that you can buy, makes more sense than microtransactions for this type of game.

The game is actually $30 not $40.

Perfection

Mar 2, 2018
Sorry I didn't mean to come off like a jerk, just being honest. I do have a hatred for the win 10 store so I'm definitely biased I will admit. I just figured since state of decay vanilla and YOSE came to steam eventually this would too. I double dipped the original on xbox and steam so I figured it would be there eventually. Didn't mean to derail

You don't and shouldn't have to apologize, my comment was rude and I don't need a Mod/Admin to tell me that.

I imagine the game could come to Steam but I do think this is the year MS is taking their PC gaming side seriously, so they may not release it on Steam so they can court existing players to Windows 10.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't see how Gamepass works if this type of game doesn't have microtransactions...

(Just an example, no real stats or something)
Lets say they'd normally sell 500.000 copies + some DLC. They'd earn (not exactly, but w/e) between 1,500,000 - 2,000,000. If with gamepass 1,5 million people tried the game they would have already earned that amount. (excluding all the other games on Gamepass, that's where the calculation becomes muddy). But, they'd also earn from the DLC that those 1,5 million people will maybe buy. Your revenue could be higher without selling a single copy.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
As a point of clarification, when do the "steam release" comments for this, Thieves, etc. cross the line?
I think people are just tired of every thread having that same comment. Its like speaking to the choir. Yes we all would prefer games to be on all platforms and storefronts. After awhile though, the comments get redundant, doesn't add anything to the discussion since its nothing new and everyone agrees.

Best just to vote with your wallet and be done with it.

As for actual State of Decay 2 coming to Steam? Honestly idk, Microsoft is helping fund the development of the game, but Undead Labs is an independent studio. So it might be like Killer Instinct and Quantum Break. An exclusive time period deal.

And as for Sea of Thieves coming to steam? I doubt that would ever happen. Its a internal studio game. Similar to Forza, Gears and Halo.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. That's definitely a way to make up some of that cash.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the publics opinion on micro transactions today? Are they all bad still or are we still loving an approach like Overwatch and Halo 5? I still dont understand the hate
While I dont care for them and rarely buy them I am not going to get upset when devs put them in their games. Just all depends on the implementation. You cannot have Microtransactions effect gameplay.

Want something cosmetic? Go for it. People buying that stuff subsidize new game content for me.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They said the same last month:
yg9NAU4.png

EDIT: Actually it's confirmed no microtransactions: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/03/12/state-of-decay-2-wont-have-any-microtransactions Jeff Strain head of Undead Labs confirmed to IGN, Ryan McCaffrey (IGN First) was previously wondering so they have clarified.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While I dont care for them and rarely buy them I not going to get upset when devs put them in their games. Just all depends on the implementation. You cannot have Microtransactions effect gameplay.

i am not putting down Micro transactions i think the hate is completely overblown. I played overwatch for the first time last night in a while and obtaining a loot box caused me to play the game an extra hour and i enjoyed the extra rewards for playing. I just keep getting confused as to what it is people are angry about. The extra income going to the developers is getting us free content and we get more incentive to keep playing. Win win for me

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
i am not putting down Micro transactions i think the hate is completely overblown. I played overwatch for the first time last night in a while and obtaining a loot box caused me to play the game an extra hour and i enjoyed the extra rewards for playing. I just keep getting confused as to what it is people are angry about. The extra income going to the developers is getting us free content and we get more incentive to keep playing. Win win for me
I think with the lootbox controversy, people were spending real money on a box that had random stuff in it, so you didn't know what you were buying, that right there is just bad business. Also I think they had items in there that affected gameplay, thats a no-no.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I imagine the game could come to Steam but I do think this is the year MS is taking their PC gaming side seriously, so they may not release it on Steam so they can court existing players to Windows 10.

Unless Microsoft fully funds the development, it seems unlikely that the devs would agree with a lifetime Windows Store exclusivity on PC. They'd loose the majority of PC sales by doing so.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Unless Microsoft fully funds the development, it seems unlikely that the devs would agree with a lifetime Windows Store exclusivity on PC. They'd loose the majority of PC sales by doing so.

It is fully MS funded and it is an MS IP. And with gamepass there is even less reason to bring it to Steam. Why pay more if you can play the game for 10 bucks?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It is fully MS funded and it is an MS IP. And with gamepass there is even less reason to bring it to Steam. Why pay more if you can play the game for 10 bucks?

It's not 10 bucks. It's 10 bucks a month. I can actually buy the game for 30 bucks instead of renting it on release and each time new dlc arrives.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thread title is still misleading. They aren't saying it won't have them merely at launch. They are saying they have no plans on adding them. Plans can change, but the way the title is phrased makes it sound like their current plan is to add them later.