• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a tease for Ghosts. Really excited for that one.

Other than that, kinda disappointing. Goose game looks fun but not $20 fun (will pick up on Gamepass). Think I'm just getting more picky with games last few years.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Out of interest, I had a look at my comments on the previous State Of Play; I think they still highlight the inherent way it doesn't quite work for me the way Directs do:

It's okay, and on a clear upswing, but it's still got some distance to go.

I was thinking about what the difference was, given the format now is so similar to the modern Direct "Headlines" approach. I think there's a few key issues, now:

* The format is *too* rigid. *Everything* is a 'Headline' , a block of standalone information with no relation to what comes before or after. The TLOU2 trailer was a prime example; immediately beforehand was the PSPlus TLOU-in-October reveal: That information belongs with the TLOU2 trailer! Contextualise it! "Here's TLOU2... and TLOU1 will be free on PSPlus in October!". (Also, "Available now" for that, if at all possible, would have been a rather more immediately exciting moment). The way the reveals took place in the SoP felt really weird and disjointed.

It does feel a little bit like the SoP is only really planned as a running order of trailers with a brief introduction, and the separation of the PS Plus reveal and the TLOU2 trailer highlighted that. They're starting to get the content right, but the delivery isn't there. Nintendo's Directs have evolved such that 'headlines' sequences are only part of the story; it's a full programme with separate features of which the headlines are just one. TLOU2 would have been better handled with a deeper dive, perhaps go into some systems, then conclude with the PS+ TLOU1.

* Talk more. NDs are a presentation with a VO that contextualises what you're seeing. These are games; help us understand how they are; inform us. I shouldn't have been left wondering if LA Noire VR is new content or the original game adapted to the VR interface, for instance. Humanity looks intriguing, and could be right up my street - but I don't really quite know what I'm looking at - is it puzzley? RTS-ey? Pikmin-ey? Is Wattam more of a Katamari-esque game or a Noby Noby Boy-esque toy? I'm happy either way, but I'd quite like to *know*!

* The last difference may be insurmountable... but, to be fair, it's very much a YMMV thing anyway. Sony are too cool, for want of a better word; Nintendo have cultivated an irreverence through recent years which means they can get away with being a bit silly in a way that Sony just can't. I think the Medievil Demo/Dan's Hat is a good example; I can't help but think that there's so much of a better way that information could have been delivered to the viewer in a way that matches up more with the irreverence inherent in the Medievil universe.

* Finally, there's another difference, and it's not really an aspect of the broadcast itself, but more the philosophy of the whole State of Play project when compared to Directs: It feels that State of Play is regarded within Sony as a way of getting trailers to peoples' eyes... and, currently at least, it doesn't seem to be aiming to do much more than that. Nintendo, on the other hand, does seem to be more invested in Direct with various marketing intiatives being integrated with the Direct system; shadowdrops are extremely common these days (we had, what, five shadowdrops in the last direct? Whereas here we had the Medievil demo?).

So here's how I'd structure it:

Promote the SoP explicitly the way Nintendo does; preannounce TLOU2 as the explicit centrepiece (we were all expecting it anyway), with other news around it.

Open with a high-profile reveal - that'd probably be CoD in this context. I'm surprised they didn't have Batman, that would have been a great item to put in there.
Segue into headlines. As mentioned above, don't leave them to just run trailers, but have the voiceover talk you through what you're seeing. Probably Medievil first, lean into the humour; follow with Humanity, Piccolo, the other reveals; possibly make the VR an explicit sub-section.The last headline should be Wattam, it's anticipated enough to cause some excitement and adorable enough to contrast with what's to come.

I'm in two minds about what to do about the The Show on PS+ reveal, because it's a significantly less enticing product in Europe. I happened to watch the US SoP but I just checked the Europe one and it is actually a different narrator - although the script seems the same. It felt really odd to have a full high-profile trailer for the baseball game and then just a quick throwaway "Hey, TLOU:R too" in a region where I imagine the latter is the bigger draw. I think possibly you swap the two reveals over depending on which region's SoP you're watching.

That said, I think the best method, as mentioned above, is to have a different game as the second highlight in October's PS+, and then shadowdrop TLOU:R for PS+ in the TLOU2 section - but that was probably not on the cards as an option!

End on TLOU2; talk about it first, maybe reveal some new mechanics; then shadowdrop TLOU:R if that was on the cards, and conclude on the trailer.

I don't agree, actually. Yes, on the surface the presentation is very similar, but in terms of how they're presenting it, it's a bit different.

I was sleeping on it and I think I've come up with the perfect analogy: A State of Play is - largely - a playlist of trailers. That's all they're doing at the moment. And that's not inherently bad, but it's not what a Direct generally does; Directs take on the responsibility of explaining what you're looking at.

Compare these:

And note which one gives a clearer picture of what the game's about, even though it's quite a complicated concept.

(Actually, a more direct comparison struck me, which was interesting: Comparing Civ VI on Switch's reveal to Civ VI on PS4's reveal. That's an interesting one because Civ VI on Switch's reveal used a bunch of time for an animated trailer for Civ itself, and then only a brief clip of gameplay footage - although again, the gameplay footage had voiceover guy giving a bit of context. Civ VI on PS4's reveal gave a lot more gameplay footage, and used splash panels of text to inform people. Tone was interestingly different as well, Switch's reveal was more... aspirational, PS4's was more... I dunno, trendy? I wonder if that was a conscious decision or just that they had more console footage available for the PS4 showing?)

To isolate one concept in there that I think is still true in this one:

A State Of Play is a playlist of trailers. A Nintendo Direct informs you about games.

That, I think, is what I'd like to see change.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Good SoP for once ! Finally Dreams.

That said, frankly worried about Babylon's Fall. It looked uninspired.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. It was passable.

Also wish they had shown GoT now. Oh well, good thing the awards are happening soon so not too long of a wait.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you can't tell really shows how ridiculous some posts in this thread are. It's like you need a fucking console reveal to dare uploading an update video.

Yeah, fair enough pal. It seems obvious that you were being sarcastic in retrospect, but like you say some people react with only a binary response so it can be hard to tell!

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Out of interest, I had a look at my comments on the previous State Of Play; I think they still highlight the inherent way it doesn't quite work for me the way Directs do:

To isolate one concept in there that I think is still true in this one:

A State Of Play is a playlist of trailers. A Nintendo Direct informs you about games.

That, I think, is what I'd like to see change.

They need to bring back their Qore format

Highly informative with a good presentation.

They have experience doing this so I don't get why they feel the need to offer something similar to Direct and act like they don't know what they're doing and how to present an original show.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't particularly good.

I don't understand why they keep doing SOP if they don't have the content for it.

Seeing Kutaragi was pretty dope though

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Underwhelming. I get that people are excited for different things, though. I just wanted to see more of GoT, nothing else that was shown was in any way interesting to me.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not having content for it and not having the content you wanted for it are two separate things...

Ok? Didn't realize to I was supposed to talk for every human being.

Content wasn't up to par for me and has seen in this thread that's the case for several other people, there's no need to go to bat for Sony over people's personal opinion.

Jun 23, 2019
I really feel like Nintendo Directs have painted people's perceptions in the wrong direction. SoP are not the end all, be all for Sony's announcement. They just did them and will do so in the future to supplement announcements at shows. Nintendo however, this is their only main line of communication so of course whenever they have Directs, they make a production out of it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like Nintendo Directs have painted people's perceptions in the wrong direction. SoP are not the end all, be all for Sony's announcement. They just did them and will do so in the future to supplement announcements at shows. Nintendo however, this is their only main line of communication so of course whenever they have Directs, they make a production out of it.

The problem is that Sony cancelled every other instance of announcements at shows. And only started the SOPs after that fact. Of course people will expect a bit more than what was showed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? Didn't realize to I was supposed to talk for every human being.

Content wasn't up to par for me and has seen in this thread that's the case for several other people, there's no need to go to bat for Sony over people's personal opinion.
Navid's not going to bat for Sony when they say, "not everything has to appeal to you" in response to you saying, "SOP doesn't have anything to show what's the point".

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what people were expecting either. Thought that was a decent presentation for it's length, fairly varied with a major game announcement.Sony have kind of indicated there wouldn't be any more new game announcements. For most general audiences, this would have been absolutely fine.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The pacing was really good, the games they would show are expected (come on, you must be nuts if you thought you were getting ps5 games). I think they've basically nailed their SoP format

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I wonder how many people switched tabs and started paying attention to something else when the lady was talking about Project Resistance's story campaign.

Because I did. And missed half the RE3 trailer as a result.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Also people need to realize that Sony has a ton of projects in development but obviously can't talk about it until PS5 is revealed.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't particularly good.

I don't understand why they keep doing SOP if they don't have the content for it.

Seeing Kutaragi was pretty dope though
But they did have the content for it...

Untitled Goose Game (one of the 2019 gotys)
Spellbreak
Superliminal
Babylon's Fall reveal
Kingdom Hearts 3 Re*Mind
Predator Hunting Ground
Paper Beast
Dreams release date reveal
R3make reveal
GoT teaser
Kutaragi message

That is a lot of good stuff in just 20 minutes.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Dreams looks utterly fantastic. Hope they'll give the game a PC release too.

I've played many minigames in games like WarCraft III. I like community creativity. Brings some of the best moments in gaming for me.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Was a perfectly fine way to spend 20 mins with a cup of tea for me. Excited to get Solid Goose on my PS4. Was going to get it on Steam but PS4 is more than fine next week. Gave me a reason to watch Game Awards too :D Nah I would have watched anyway but excited to see the rest of the Ghost trailer.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Overall Most titles didn't speak to me except that platinum/square enix game, RE3, and Ghosts. I really respect PlayStation for lobbing Ghosts to the game awards as to not detract too much from the announcements there.. I wasn't expecting that at all.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was decent, nice to see more of Superliminal and that new PSVR game by the Another World dev looks fantastic. Fluid and terrain manipulation puzzles gimme, From Dust needs a spiritual successor like yesterday.

The Platinum game looks aces, loving that aesthetic. Also can't wait to see more of Tsushima at TGA. This has been one of the best end of year periods in gaming for news and next gen hype, HL: Alyx (with more to be shown at TGA), RE3, PS5/Anaconda news, and I'm sure a lot more at the show. Getting to experience something like Death Stranding this late in the year has been a treat too.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
That Dreams trailer was HYPE and I already own it. Just wish I had time to actually learn it and create something.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
That was a great showing, best State of Play so far. Kinda hoping for it to be the last one though, go big in 2020 again, no more stupid Direct format (I can't comprehend how anyone could prefer that to live conferences).