• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
To confirm dates for Dreams, Predator and KH DLC, show first gameplay for Babylon's Fall and officially announce RE3?

You could just announce the date on the website (you can already play the early access version of Dreams anyway, it's basically out already with a big new patch at "release date", nothing full price titles shamingly aren't even doing already) and upload the rest of the trailer to YouTube and nothing of value would be lost.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great SoP imo, probably the best they have done so far, with something for everyone.
GoT looks sublime, can't wait for the TGA show to see more

Dreams looks like an insane powerhouse (if marketed well, it should do very well), and I was very intrigued by Babylon Fall and the Portal like puzzle game.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Really? Dreams release date & Resident Evil 3 official reveal & release date alone make it "have a point"

Edit: not to mention the first gameplay for Babylon's Fall
Game Awards is in three days. I defended the last State of Play and the one before it, but this one actually feels extraneous. Lots of these announcements could have just been Game Awards trailers or dropped on PS Blog.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Doesn't stop it from being shite though.
It wasn't shite though. What are you actually talking about?

We got gameplay of Babylons Fall. We got footage of RE3make with a surprise release date. We got a tease of Ghost of Tsushima, We got the final release date of Dreams. What were you actually expecting. Seriously. Answer me earnestly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with you guys is you expect every state of play to have Sony dropping bombs on PS5 info, every Sony 1st AAA announcement, etc......when they specifically said they will not....and then you guys expected it anyway
I mean, I guess that's the problem then isn't it? It feels too much like a holding pattern. Even the Ghost of Tsushima trailer was such a limp "check back in a few days!" trailer just to keep the running time going. The amount of SoPs we've had this year just feel disproportionate compared to the actual news we've been getting. Imagine if they skipped the last one and just absorbed The Last of Us II into this one (which already had to be delayed shortly after its SoP announcement).

Until Sony get ready to talk more about their future plans these showings feel like a formality more than anything else. Even Nintendo went through a 2016 lull when they didn't have much to show because of how there was no real news to share yet, and not many Directs as a result.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty meh for me tbh. Not really interested in seeing trailers of ports on State of Play. GoT looks different?

Came in with zero hype left with zero hype. Re3 looks good just not my thing anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit; for some reason I thought this wasn't live for another 5ish hours! Will have to try to watch it at my desk to catch up!

Jun 23, 2019
Game Awards is in three days. I defended the last State of Play and the one before it, but this one actually feels extraneous. Lots of these announcements could have just been Game Awards trailers or dropped on PS Blog.

Sony doesn't get to dictate who and what gets shown at TGAs so your assumption there is unfounded. And if they wanted to get people hyped for games coming in the last twilight of PS4's shelf life, then what's the problem? Sounds like people are just complaining to be complaining at this point.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't shite though. What are you actually talking about?

We got gameplay of Babylons Fall. We got footage of RE3make with a surprise release date. We got a tease of Ghost of Tsushima, We got the final release date of Dreams. What were you actually expecting. Seriously. Answer me earnestly.

It was shit for me because none of the games appealed and most of which didn't look that interesting — just middling games that will end up being a fart in the wind upon release. Further to that, they withheld a first-party game for The Game Awards, that's just disappointing. The only interesting part was RE3 and Dreams finally getting a release date is a case of 'about fucking time.'

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sony doesn't get to dictate who and what gets shown at TGAs so your assumption there is unfounded. And if they wanted to get people hyped for games coming in the last twilight of PS4's shelf life, then what's the problem? Sounds like people are just complaining to be complaining at this point.
Agree to disagree, you liked this SoP and I didn't.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
To confirm dates for Dreams, Predator and KH DLC, show first gameplay for Babylon's Fall and officially announce RE3?
Yeah, plenty of notable games in there. Pretty solid minus some leaks that robed some real hype and especially lots of release dates.
So many of those different games shown in Dreams looked amazing too.

The magic game looked pretty cool even though I don't really play mp games and so some cool VR, and was cool there being a real first look at Babylon's Fall was totally unleaked, didn't expect that to show up at all, figured it'd be next year at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Superliminal looked cool, didn't realize it was out already on PC.

Babylon's Fall looks like a Nier game, hopefully with awesome plot and not just action.

LOL @ Tsushima teaser and punt to TGA.

Not sure why Sony is dropping the ball on these State of Plays. 25th anniversary of PlayStation and a Ken appearance, but all we get is a thank you and a GoT teaser.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

TBH, you are on the money here. The SoP was pointless when the VGAs is in two days. Every announcement could have been a part of that show and saved Sony the money.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Dont know the other shows (Nintendo , MS) but I think a show of this type should be only for internal stuff and exclusives. What is the point of reveal RE3 if its a multiplataform, or KH3 that its a 1 month timed exclusive..
Ghost should be in the show and not a teaser to other show. I would expect some news on Now.

The show its fun to watch but I think its not relevant enough to Playstation.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a good show. Dreams release date, Kingdom Hearts DLC trailer, a Resident Evil 3 Remake reveal, Babylon's Fall gameplay reveal and interesting smaller titles shown with a tease for Ghost of Tsushima at the end.

KH3 DLC and RE3 not leaking days before this State of Play would have probably helped with sentiment, which is unfortunate but the content wasn't anything to sniff at on the whole.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
That was pretty meh for me tbh. Not really interested in seeing trailers of ports on State of Play
I can't say I liked it very much, but the only port there was probably Spellbreak. Everything else was developed by SIE or multiplatform (Goose Game included, that game simply had an staggered release).

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It was shit for me because none of the games appealed and most of which didn't look that interesting — just middling games that will end up being a fart in the wind upon release. Further to that, they withheld a first-party game for The Game Awards, that's just disappointing. The only interesting part was RE3 and Dreams finally getting a release date is a case of 'about fucking time.'
Some of you are really incapable of looking at things beyond your own nose. It was a pretty good and varied presentation with big and small games. I get that maybe its not for your taste but come on. You contribute nothing of interest by saying. "this is shit." Not everything on there appealed to me, but for a 20 minute stream, there was a good amount of stuff. I think some of you have weird expectations out of these. A 20 minute stream is not going to be E3 2016.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean "We'll See"

Thats literally in engine/in game footage. Not some prerendered thing. Good lord. You can even see the aliasing.
"in engine" != gameplay. So "we'll see" how good the gameplay looks in realtime when they finally show it... eventually. And, no last year's video doesn't count, as it wasn't from the final game. We've seen enough downgrades to not use that as a benchmark.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The last major AAA Sony exclusive being shown at the last biggest gaming stage of the year makes hella sense for marketing purposes.

If RE3, and the Remind trailer hadn't leaked it would have been great. RE3, KH, GoT and Babylon's Fall is enough to make this a good State of Play in my book

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expectations should be in check. We are 11 months from next-gen launching. Unsure what you were expecting - Predator is good (played it at EGX), RE3 confirmed and a tease for Tsushima.
I wasn't expecting anything.

I just think this SoP concept are very boring and is just not interesting. I also don't understand why SoP exist. It just doesn't do anything for me.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of you are really incapable of looking at things beyond your own nose. It was a pretty good and varied presentation with big and small games. I get that maybe its not for your taste but come on. You contribute nothing of interest by saying. "this is shit." Not everything on there appealed to me, but for a 20 minute stream, there was a good amount of stuff. I think some of you have weird expectations out of these. A 20 minute stream is not going to be E3 2016.

Settle down, comrade. Stop taking it so personally. The corporation that is Sony won't have its feelings hurt by me saying their presentation was shite.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This. Also, RE3, a Platinum action game, KH3 DLC, Predator, Superliminal, Ghost of Tsushima, middling games with no appeal? lol

"in engine" != gameplay. So "we'll see" how good the gameplay look in realtime... eventually.
Uh......We've seen live gameplay and that had some people questioning if it could be an early PS5 game, I'd say the gameplay looked pretty damn good in realtime. LOL, I see you added in some downgrade theorizing for good measure.

Last edited:

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
e68347f01041d77e97a5aa89522fec64.jpg

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I liked it very much, but the only port there was probably Spellbreak. Everything else was developed by SIE or multiplatform (Goose Game included, that game simply had an staggered release).

Fair enough port might not have been the best term. Just don't really want to see trailers for stuff that's been out for a while already in state of play. That's blog post stuff for me.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Other than the Goose game, none of the games shown appealed to me.

I'm a Sucker Punch fan... loved Sly Cooper and inFamous... but GoT doesn't interest me one iota.

Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Babylon... zero interest.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the presentation was fine, good even. By now, we know what State of Plays are about, but we also knew how this thread would go regardless. It is what it is.

For the people who haven't enjoyed a single State of Play yet, quit torturing yourselves. Just catch up on the news afterwards to see if there was anything worthwhile for you.