• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel bad for whoever gets excited for these

Posters like the above are the reason why this site is circling down the drain.

Are you the only living soul who gets to decide what is good and what isn't? You need to burst out of your fucking bubble and realise there are people out there who have wildly different tastes from you.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I still love that "ding" the most.
Haven't been this hyped since that BotW trailer.
Yup, opening the show with the "ding" was perfect.

Was like "Wait?! Wasn't that?? Aww yeah it's happening at some point during this show"

Same here. I thought "WTF? Is that Socom?" then I saw the Predator and thought "WTF? A Sony Predator game? What?"
;D
My mind definitely went to Socom first as well, heh.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Good short show, had a nice variety of titles (MHW, indie RPG, WWS MP title, raccoons revenge + weeb nostalgia) + a LE console tease.

Didn't overstay it's welcome, which was good.

You'll see TLOUII in one of these soon I reckon, but only when ND have confirmed a delivery date for it.

I do think they'll do something with one of the AAAs sometime around E3 tho. They're wording on what to expect was pretty vague and left the door open for any number of communication types to be made.

I also loved the opening start up colour bars.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lurking around the different announcement threads, I think its pretty safe to say this was quite a solid, inoffensive showcase. I can only see these getting bigger and better.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need to know if the PS4 Pro is getting this Days of Play Limited Edition.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty goddamn solid direct, more than makes up for last time imo. FF7R looks great, but I'm not sure about that combat

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are not happy because SE did not release any new info or media for FF7R.
People are not happy because SE released new info and media for FF7R.
People these days are not happy on a constant basis it seems.

It's because the "coming out never/2025" jokes won't work anymore, not that they were ever really clever lol

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah I like this Nintendo Direct-styke approach. I think I see a traditional conference now and kinda feel like it's all faked cheerleading from the crowd, full of awkward lack of confidence/poor rehearsal, and generally just feels like showmanship more than substance. Funny enough, I think Sony E3 2018 was the most emblematic of this with their multi-stage, themed approach.

I feel like this format takes all the really exciting parts of a press conference and just does away with the hokeyness.

I am saying that as someone who thought Sony's absence at E3 was going to be hurtful, but now I'm okay with them just kinda going the State of Play route, I think. Doesn't make me any less excited for the announcements coming on-stage at E3 from the other big pubs, but I do think as the more experienced I get as a consumer in this industry, the less and less I feel a sense of excitement or dazzlement from the press conference format. It's starting to feel more and more inauthentic and kinda lame -- and I think I prefer to just showcase marketing material without any awkward stage presentations stifling it.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Holy shit that was underwhelming. I liked the previous State of Play way more.

Only FF7 was kind of interesting, but still no releadedate or anything made it a joke.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I like this Nintendo Direct-styke approach. I think I see a traditional conference now and kinda feel like it's all faked cheerleading from the crowd, full of awkward lack of confidence/poor rehearsal, and generally just feels like showmanship more than substance. Funny enough, I think Sony E3 2018 was the most emblematic of this with their multi-stage, themed approach.

I feel like this format takes all the really exciting parts of a press conference and just does away with the hokeyness.

I am saying that as someone who thought Sony's absence at E3 was going to be hurtful, but now I'm okay with them just kinda going the State of Play route, I think. Doesn't make me any less excited for the announcements coming on-stage at E3 from the other big pubs, but I do think as the more experienced I get as a consumer in this industry, the less and less I feel a sense of excitement or dazzlement from the press conference format. It's starting to feel more and more inauthentic and kinda lame -- and I think I prefer to just showcase marketing material without any awkward stage presentations stifling it.

I still think conferences has a place. Like the God of War conference where they had an amazing orchestra. Shit was hype.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this type of presentation works, but I'll still take conferences for E3. There's nothing quite like the crowd losing it at an announcement. It's super exciting, and it's cool knowing we're all experiencing these same emotions at the same time.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that was underwhelming. I liked the previous State of Play way more.

Only FF7 was kind of interesting, but still no releadedate or anything made it a joke.

I don't even remember wtf was in the last State of Play. Iron Man VR and....seriously, that's all I remember. And I only remember that because I was ticked about Iron Man.

May 1, 2018
For those wondering about Illfonic, the developer making the Predator Hunting Grounds game, they made the Friday the 13th game that launched in 2017. So, expect something similar to that except with Sony money backing it.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR saved this for me (it looking NICE). I don't play MH, and Medievil looks janky and underwhelming af.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
the games included is great, but the need to talk more about the games. 10 minutes is too short and it's basically just trailer compilation, they could have add time by telling what the game is about. at one point, the announcer lady even told you to check ps blog for more info. they could just add more info and lengthen the time.

no idea why they insist on having only 10 minutes running time, they could easily added info from psblog and you get a more nicer 20 minute running time. I even would like to see the developer on screen talking about the game a little bit. that flying rat game look really interesting.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad, they did well not to get people's hopes up. I think a big problem was that Kojima always teases little things even when there are no events on the horizon..but because this was coming people assumed he was teasing something for State of Play.

I find it funny that people bounce back and forth between "Remember when Sony used to make lower budget AA games too? Those days were great." and "They didn't show *insert AAA cinematic game*! What a shitshow!"

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I really like this format as they can show smaller & VR games with a sprinkle of AAA games. Before people used to complain Sony doesn't advertise AA-esque games and now they're precisely doing that and we still have to hear the whining non-stop.

If you want bigger games announcements then just skip State of Play and wait if they decide to return to PSX 2019 or E3 2020.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I just got home from work and I'm very disconnected so sorry if it's been answered a million times but...

Do we know what kind of game the Predator one is? Is it an asymmetric multiplayer? An action-adventure controlling predator? First or third person?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Good show, I expected nothing and got a very nice MH and a very nice FF7 trailer. I am satisfied.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
A nice improvement. The bookends carried the show. Now they just need to work on filling the inbetween with content. My only real gripe is the announcer's voice.

Oct 25, 2017
Overall good show! Good pacing, cool stuff shown, and FF7R trailer was amazing. Little too short tho.

I think the State of Play format has promise. I have a couple notes on how to make it better.

1) Needs more personality. Kinda comes off as a lifeless marketing video, similar to Square Enix's video from last E3. Having a host would go a long way in giving this more character, and Shuhei Yoshida is perfect for that role imo. Everyone loves him!

2) Don't do them too frequently, do them when you can fill 25+ minutes of content. Ideally also these come alongside a proper E3 presence instead of kinda replacing it. I think the ideal schedule would be one in Q1, a mini one in May as a pre E3 teaser, proper E3 conference for the "big boys", and one in fall.

3) Big opener and big closer is important, they did good with this one as Iceborne + FF7R were perfect bookends. But try to have one or two big announcements in the "headlines" section as well. Nothing bombastic necessarily, but will generate buzz.

But yeah, solid showing overall, looking forward to future installments.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R won't show up and the usual crowd that over hyped themselves will create threads saying. "Sony should stop doing SoP's" " what a waste of time SE needs to shake up management"

I for one look forward to this delicious salty tears. It's like you folks never learn which is hilarious and sad.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overall good show! Good pacing, cool stuff shown, and FF7R trailer was amazing. Little too short tho.

I think the State of Play format has promise. I have a couple notes on how to make it better.

1) Needs more personality. Kinda comes off as a lifeless marketing video, similar to Square Enix's video from last E3. Having a host would go a long way in giving this more character, and Shuhei Yoshida is perfect for that role imo. Everyone loves him!

2) Don't do them too frequently, do them when you can fill 25+ minutes of content. Ideally also these come alongside a proper E3 presence instead of kinda replacing it. I think the ideal schedule would be one in Q1, a mini one in May as a pre E3 teaser, proper E3 conference for the "big boys", and one in fall.

3) Big opener and big closer is important, they did good with this one as Iceborne + FF7R were perfect bookends. But try to have one or two big announcements in the "headlines" section as well. Nothing bombastic necessarily, but will generate buzz.

But yeah, solid showing overall, looking forward to future installments.
agree with all three points, they've already got a decent format, but they should work to improve it. this episode was a good sign tho that they're serious about this series.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, but I have to disagree. He is a very likeable guy, but his speech is sometimes hard to understand, and a host needs to speak fluent english.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but I have to disagree. He is a very likeable guy, but his speech is sometimes hard to understand, and a host needs to speak fluent english.
Eh, I disagree. Iwata used to present Directs for Nintendo and his English was far from fluent. It was all about the personality he brought that made them interesting and fun to watch. There's subtitles if you can't understand.

Oct 25, 2017
They could always dub over him like Nintendo does with Yoshiaki Koizumi, no need for him to speak English.

Shu is very likeable and as president of WWS you just naturally get the sense of his passion, since he handles their development studios.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
So, did Era crash this morning or was it just my internet breaking up yet again, because after watching SoP live on YouTube I wanted to check this forum and nothing happened, but most other sites I tried didn't work either.

Anyway, that squirrel game reminded me of Tokyo Jungle but in 3d, could be neat!

Those poor Socom fans must've been in pain when the Predator music played, because up to that point I thought this looks socomesque.

FFVIIR is still real and looks gorgeous, but will Squeenix commit a betrayalthon during E3 and announce it on MSs stage??1 Stay tuned!

Last edited: