• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
they need to announce they are making a move controller bundle, increasing production or just making it so they aren't so ridiculously priced. please.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Okay so I actually missed the first few minutes of the stream and had no idea so much was shown. All I saw was Days Gone, Concrete Genie, and MK11 I think.

Iron Man and NMS VR look awesome, and HEY WE GOT DATES FOR Blood and Truth and Vacation Simulator!!! I'm happy with that.

Do we have any idea how often they're going to do these SoP streams?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Kinda still is until ALL of Sony's big franchises are made with VR in mind. Is there any current or upcoming AAA franchises using VR?
VR is amazing but at this stage it can't provide the best experience in every genre that Sony makes AAA games in; I'd say they're doing an admirable job playing to their hardware's strengths at the moment and the number of meaty VR titles in general is growing.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
April, May, June.
Good luck PSVR owners wallet. Sony probably will do another bundle/promotion around that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I assume you guys know what I meant or are you being disingenuous?

The premise of your argument is flawed. VR doesn't work well with traditional games, and if you didn't know this then maybe do a bit of research before taking on said topic.

VR doesn't need big names, it needs good games designed specifically for the platform. And Sony has proved this with Astro Bot last year, and oculus with Lone Echo the year before.

Last edited:

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
The premise of your argument is flawed. VR doesn't work well with traditional games, and if you didn't know this then maybe do a bit of research before taking on said topic.

VR doesn't need big names, it needs good games designed specifically for the platform. And Sony has proved this with Astro Bot last year, and oculus with Lone Echo the year before.
Said every successful platform ever.

Also I thought you can play Skyrim in VR. And didn't Sony just release a platformer on VR. What is a "traditional game"? Your discussion points are being disingenuous again...
All of them? Wow, that's not moving the goalposts, that's loading the goalposts onto a rocket and shooting it out of the Solar System. :D
What am I moving the goal post from?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

While you're at it, might as well bold and underline the remaining sentence for context.

Also I thought you can play Skyrim in VR.

You can, you can also tell it wasn't made with VR in mind.

And didn't Sony just release a platformer on VR.

Yes, unlike any other platformer on the market. It's the best thing since cheese.

What is a "traditional game"?

Games played on your TV/monitor.

Your discussion points are being disingenuous again...

I think you might need to go look up the definition disingenuous.

Sinralus

Mar 22, 2019
Blood & Truth looks great. I know people are on the fence about Sony spending time on VR during the big conferences and this is a great way to show off their commitment.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Everybody's Golf a separate title or a free add-on?

I own it on disc but it's on sale digitally at the moment which I find easier for VR titles ... looking at NMS now also!

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super happy with the amount of new VR content they showed off. Keeps on pushing it into mainstream for the platform itself to grow.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Man. Every time Sony has one of these VR showcases. It really makes me want to get one more and more. These games look great and the support has been wonderful so far. Part of me wants to wait on a PSVR 2 but ugh...it's making this wait harder and harder

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
In for Iron Man, NMS, Falcon Age, Vacation Simulator and Concrete Genie. To be honest, the only disappointing part of that presentation was that Concrete Genie is Fall 2019. I was hoping for spring/summer and a concrete release date. Pun intended.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
mk11 as in mortal kombat 11?

In vr? In vr separate game or mk 11 is also compatible in vr, whats vr its a 2.5 d
game , how would that even work?
He means that those particular announcements were enough to make the State of Play stream worth it. But no, MK11 isn't in VR. However, that concept has been tried already though. Bamco made a VR mode for Tekken 7 which was lack luster.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Like clockwork what? The poster I responded to opened up for criticism when they made that post...

And has been said before, Sony doesn't put it's all (big AAA franchises) to VR like Nintendo will do for all its platforms. A huge testament to Vita's failed state, it leaves that up to 3rd parties which may or may not follow through. It doesn't exhume confidence at all. Small experimental games does not show confidence...
While you're at it, might as well bold and underline the remaining sentence for context.
You can, you can also tell it wasn't made with VR in mind.

Yes, unlike any other platformer on the market. It's the best thing since cheese.

Games played on your TV/monitor.

I think you might need to go look up the definition disingenuous.
1. Yes, a platform NEEDS big names to be successful. We have an enormous amount of history that proves this.

2. So what you are saying is that they CAN build games like that with VR in mind? What's stopping Sony from making a game like Killzone to support VR like RE7?

3. You don't say? That game proves the above point.

4. Ok. So your "traditional games" is not about the genre of game but the platform used. Got it.

5. Yes, you are acting like you don't know what I meant.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
What I still dont understand and hopefully somebody can help me here.

Concrete genie has "VR modes", so does this mean the main part of the game isnt in VR? Im not interested in Concrete Genie as a regular game, so for me its either in VR or im not interested.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
1. Yes, a platform NEEDS big names to be successful. We have an enormous amount of history that proves this.

History doesn't prove jack when it comes to VR. I'll acknowledge that big names do help to some degree, but you can't just slap on VR or include half-assed additions. VR needs games built specifically for the system.

2. So what you are saying is that they CAN build games like that with VR in mind? What's stopping Sony from making a game like Killzone to support VR like RE7?

My original point flew right over your head. They can build almost any genre in VR. What's stopping Sony? Maybe their allocation of resources. Why on earth would you want a tacked on Killzone experience they're making Blood and Truth from the ground up for VR?

3. You don't say? That game proves the above point.

What on earth are you talking about :s

4. Ok. So your "traditional games" is not about the genre of game but the platform used. Got it.

Yes, you got it. Why do you seem confused in your earlier points.

5. Yes, you are acting like you don't know what I meant.

I do know this word, lol. You've been calling me disingenuous since your first reply. You want to have a conversation or throw around accusations?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
What I still dont understand and hopefully somebody can help me here.

Concrete genie has "VR modes", so does this mean the main part of the game isnt in VR? Im not interested in Concrete Genie as a regular game, so for me its either in VR or im not interested.
They didn't detail anything but it seems the full game won't be in VR but it will include two VR modes. The PlayStation Blog had this to say:

Along with our new story trailer, we also have a surprise for everyone – all editions of Concrete Genie will include two PlayStation VR modes* in addition to the core PS4 game! When we began making Concrete Genie, it always felt like the Living Paint mechanics would be a great fit for an immersive, first-person painting experience. When we showed the game to some old friends, Jeff Brown and Dave Smith – they came up with an incredible idea for how to take it to a whole new level in PS VR. It was such a compelling pitch that we decided to build a team around them, right next to us in PlayStation HQ so they could create it alongside us. We are absolutely thrilled with how this part of the game has come together and you'll be hearing more about these two modes soon.

So, it seems that one mode is an " immersive first-person painting experience"

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
History doesn't prove jack when it comes to VR. I'll acknowledge that big names do help to some degree, but you can't just slap on VR or include half-assed additions. VR needs games built specifically for the system.

My original point flew right over your head. They can build almost any genre in VR. What's stopping Sony? Maybe their allocation of resources. Why on earth would you want a tacked on Killzone experience they're making Blood and Truth from the ground up for VR?

What on earth are you talking about :s

Yes, you got it. Why do you seem confused in your earlier points.

I do know that word. And it's doesnt mean what you might think it means.
1./2. No one says anything about being "tacked on". This is the disingenuousness I was talking about. They can build the games from the ground up. Pretty sure if Nintendo was pioneering VR, you bet your ass they would build a Mario game from the ground up to sell the idea to the masses.

3. That Sony can build games in any genre that they want to work with VR; Astro Bot being one example but it will not get people to run out in droves to buy VR.

4. Disingenous : not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
They didn't detail anything but it seems the full game won't be in VR but it will include two VR modes. The PlayStation Blog had this to say:

So, it seems that one mode is an " immersive first-person painting experience"
Not even a game like this gets the full VR experience from Sony smh...

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that was fun reading the hate while sitting here thinking holy shit May would be amazing.
Day 1 for Blood & Truth

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Very in for NMS, Everybody's Golf VR and Blood & Truth.

Vacation Simulator is an insta-buy.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Super excited for pretty much all of this.

NMS in VR is going to be amazing. I wonder if it'll support the AIM controller?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
1./2. No one says anything about being "tacked on". This is the disingenuousness I was talking about. They can build the games from the ground up.

Your issue with Sony seems to stem from the lack of popular exclusive PlayStation games on VR - this is understandable. But your original comment is simply absurd, you think they can't do well without porting their big names over to VR.

I think they can continue to grow without the big AAA names, as long as Sony/indies continue to works on good intuitive games designed specifically for VR.

Pretty sure if Nintendo was pioneering VR, you bet your ass they would build a Mario game from the ground up to sell the idea to the masses.

That's the difference between Sony and Nintendo. Sony is known for cultivating new IPs.

3. That Sony can build games in any genre that they want to work with VR; Astro Bot being one example but it will not get people to run out in droves to buy VR.

Nothing will get people to run out in droves to buy VR, not even Call of Duty. PSVR is a first-gen tech with an uphill battle. Sony is doing good so far.

4. Disingenous : not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Welldone for posting Google's definition. Maybe now you'll realise this word doesn't really fit in this discussion.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Your issue with Sony seems to stem from the lack of popular exclusive PlayStation games on VR - this is understandable. But your original comment is simply absurd, you think they can't do well without porting their big names over to VR.

I think they can continue to grow without the big AAA names, as long as Sony/indies continue to works on good intuitive games designed specifically for VR.

That's the difference between Sony and Nintendo. Sony is known for cultivating new IPs.

Nothing will get people to run out in droves to buy VR, not even Call of Duty. PSVR is a first-gen tech with an uphill battle. Sony is doing good so far.
Welldone for posting Google's definition. Maybe now you'll realise this word doesn't really fit in this discussion.
1. It could've been more successful if Sony actually put weight behind it. As my original posts suggested. Sales are so minuscule compared to the PS4 sales.

2. So Nintendo isn't known to cultivate New IPs too, gotcha./

3. You base this on no proof that Call Of Duty couldn't sell VR units...

4. Yes, you were acting like you didn't know what I was talking about.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
1. It could've been more successful if Sony actually put weight behind it. As my original posts suggested. Sales are so minuscule compared to the PS4 sales.

Your argument is getting dumber by the post. PSVR is the most successful and accessible premium platform in its category - it has sold more than Rift and Vive combined, do you think this happened without content?

Sony has put actual weight behind PSVR and it shows.

Exclusives (incomplete):

Wipeout Omega Collection
Resident Evil 7
Rez Infinite VR
Firewall Zero
Golem
Iron man
The Inpatient
Concrete Genie
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
Farpoint
Ghost Giant
Ace Combat 7
Bound
Here They Lie
Bravo Team
GT Sports
Stardust Ultra
Ghostbusters is Hiring
Borderlands 2 VR
RIGS Mechanized combat league
Trover Saves the Universe
Tetris Effect VR
Starblood Arena
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Driveclub VR
Blood and Truth

Time exclusives (incomplete):

Moss
Batman Arkham VR
Robinsons The Journey
Skyrim
Physconauts in the Rhombus of Ruin

There are roughly 300 games/experiences on PS4 in just little over 2 years, and it's only going to get better.

Do you think all of this content has just magically appeared out of thin air?

2. So Nintendo isn't known to cultivate New IPs too, gotcha./

Yup, unless you know something I don't.

3. You base this on no proof that Call Of Duty couldn't sell VR units...

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has a VR mode, lol.

4. Yes, you were acting like you didn't know what I was talking about.

I knew exactly what you were talking about, as a consequence, I was trying to show you an alternative point of view. You asked if there were any AAA (presumably Sony) franchises using VR, I answered this with an unequivocal NO and followed it up with an exclusive game with good production values.

This is where your accusation of disingenuity started, that's why I questioned if you understood what it meant to be disingenuous.

Now let me showcase actual disingenuous behaviour:

Kinda still is until ALL of Sony's big franchises are made with VR in mind.

Yes, you are acting like you don't know what I meant.

What's stopping Sony from making a game like Killzone to support VR like RE7?

It could've been more successful if Sony actually put weight behind it.