• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So it has been almost 5 years since WB Montreal released big game (Arkham Origins). During those years they shifted their projects a lot and changed management but we still don't know what the hell they are working on and in which stage is/are their project/s are. Should we expect them at E3? Or Rocksteady will take spotlight? Will we actually ever see another game from them?

Apparently they are big studio (500 people according to Wikipedia) that released nothing in 5 years and not even announced something. They are becoming really expensive adventure for WB and I wonder how long will WB stick with them.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I imagine they did some help on Shadow of War and help out on other projects while doing their own, if I remember the time period correctly, at the end of 2016, they had a Suicide Squad game canceled. It sounded like it had a decent amount of time invested into it so they probably had to start from scratch on whatever they're working on now.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Their narrative director left 6 months ago, so I'm guessing nothing far along. But they probably use the studio for their other games.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine they did some help on Shadow of War and help out on other projects while doing their own, if I remember the time period correctly, at the end of 2016, they had a Suicide Squad game canceled. It sounded like it had a decent amount of time invested into it so they probably had to start from scratch on whatever they're working on now.

But didn't they had Damian Wayne Batman in development for longer than Suicide Squad game? They rebooted too but they could have left assets.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I wrote about them previously.

Thread 1:

Title: Warner Montreal's next game seemingly goes UE3->UE4, sounds very online service gamey

Recap + New Stuff:
  • Please note that this is all based on statements, rumors, leaks, and job postings, so there may be some inaccuracies.
  • Warner Montreal was founded in late 2009-early 2010 to work on a Suicide Squad game, but was going to ramp up by making a Batman game first, allowing them to potentially take over that series as well if Rocksteady wanted to do something new.
  • In 2013, they launched Batman: Arkham Origins.
  • Their next project was working on Suicide Squad in earnest, which was sort of like Borderlands, but you played the various members of the Suicide Squad. This was built on top of the Arkham version of UE3.
  • Starting in Summer 2015 or Summer 2016 (it wasn't entirely clear), they also started working on a Damian Wayne Batman game that was meant as a successor to the Arkham series. This was also built on the Arkham version of UE3, and while it focused on new characters for both heroes and villains, and switched things like the Batmobile to the Batcycle among other such changes, it sounded pretty similar to how Arkham games had worked historically.
  • In late 2016, Kotaku revealed that Suicide Squad was canceled among both Warner Interactive and especially Warner Montreal getting new management. This was despite all previous games in the genre selling 10+ million copies (or sometimes significantly more, see Diablo, Borderlands, The Division, and Destiny) despite basically all of them having major issues, so presumably the faith in it was very low. The studio was switched to entirely focus on Damian Wayne Batman at this time.
  • Kotaku tipped that Batman might be ready to be unveiled at the 2016 TGAs, but that this changed relatively last minute due to new management also being unhappy with Damian Wayne Batman and causing a lot of chaos at the studio despite it being their only focus.
  • In early 2017, Warner Bros put up a job posting for a new manager to work at Warner Bros' headquarters in Calirfornia and oversee Warner Montreal's new AAA online service game focus. This didn't seem to jive with the design of Damian Wayne Batman based upon what we knew.
  • Back in May, Kotaku's Jason Schreier mentioned that Damian Wayne Batman had been rebooted, though we didn't know to what extent.
  • Now, new job postings reveal that Warner Montreal's next game "open-world AAA title based on one of DC Universe’s most popular IPs" is an Unreal Engine 4 game. This is notable as engine switches often result in throwing out almost everything about a game technology wise.
  • However, these same jobs also list a lot of things about being a multiplayer heavy (or centric) service game and have job postings for things like microtransaction economies (they mention consumables).
  • It's worth noting that Rocksteady's next game is also on Unreal Engine 4, so Warner Montreal presumably sharing their technology base with them again.
  • Rocksteady's job postings have also given some hints at being a service game lately. They have lots of jobs surrounding online programming, metagame design, and perhaps most interestingly, they're building a large dedicated weapon artist team, which only really makes sense for first person shooters (it's nigh assuredly not this) or a third person game where you collect tons of weapons as loot (this would fit with making the types of games Rocksteady does into a service game). As such, it's possible that Warner Montreal and Rocksteady are also sharing some design goals going forward again.
  • The reason I bother mentioning the above is that Warner Bros just opened a new office in New York dedicated to making service game backends for titles like Injustice 2 and unspecified future service games. Two of those games are very likely Warner Montreal's next game and Rocksteady's next game.
  • Given the completely technology shift and general game reboot of Warner Montreal's next game, it's very possible we won't see them ship another project until 2019-2020 despite their last game coming out in October 2013. The other reason I mentioned Rocksteady though is that it's possible they have a big head start technology wise due to the work Rocksteady has been doing with UE4 and could come out in 2018, but I would definitely not recommend expecting that to happen.
  • It's also very possible the game is no longer about Damian Wayne or plays like Arkham anymore. It's unclear what, if anything, actually remains at this point.
  • Again, this is based on a mix of official reports, rumors, leaks, and job postings, so things here could easily be wrong or change. That said, Warner Montreal is exceptionally leaky, so maybe we'll find out something more soon.
Thread 2:

Title: Warner Montreal making a co-op open world DC game, Damian Batman maybe canceled

Highlights:
1.) A redditor (virgilhawkins17) did a bunch of digging in Warner Bros Montreal LinkedIns looking for info on their next game.
2.) As of March 2017, an Unreal Engine 4 based co-op open world DC game appears in LinkedIn listings.
3.) There are some postings about an Unreal Engine 3 game that matches the description of the Damian Wayne game, but both LinkedIn postings list that with an ending date around March 2017, the same time that this new game pops up, making me think it probably got canned. It's also worth noting that Warner Montreal's jobs used to all ask for Unreal Engine 3 experience, which is what the Damian Wayne Batman game was being made in (as confirmed by the LinkedIn listings), but now all their job postings explicitly ask for Unreal Engine 4 experience. Maybe Jason will stop by and weigh in on that.

virgilhawkins17 said:
Recently, the internet has been hit with a flood of so-called "information" regarding upcoming DC video games. We saw articles posted about Rocksteady reportedly working on Justice League, Superman, and announcements that were supposed to come. But the days came and gone and we saw nothing.

In light of this heartbreak, I took it upon myself to try and find anything I could on the upcoming DC games, and I think I might've found something substantial...but it has nothing to do with Rocksteady.

WB has a host of studios under its wing, including Rocksteady, TT games, Turbine, Monolith, and the birthchild-- WB Montreal.

WB Montreal has been extremely quiet since the release of Batgirl: A Matter of Family, DLC for Rocksteady's farewell to the Arkham trilogy, Batman: Arkham Knight. Since then, they have not tweeted or came out to the public to say anything other than some spotty Facebook posts.

Many have been wondering what they've been up to, some reporting on a Damian Wayne game, some leaks about Superman, and even Suicide Squad. The reports have come and gone and still we've got nothing from the studio other than some job postings about their two DC games. Some multiplayer things here and there but nothing concrete.

BUT, today I think I found something concrete. I searched high and wide through multiple websites of professionals and landed on this LinkedIn profile that shows someone who worked at WB Montreal recently. In the summary, you can see that he worked on both DC comics projects coming out of the studio.

Here are the images incase they get taken down: https://imgur.com/a/Jp0w8

The first game is listed as an open-world co-op game powered by Unreal Engine 4. Now you can try and say that this is just the cancelled Suicide Squad game, but look at the date. It is marked from March 2017-June 2017. These dates are too recent to be Suicide Squad, and they must be something else.

The other posting also shows an open-world single player game from DC comics. It's powered by Unreal Engine 3 and utilizes some of the same things we saw in the Arkham games. The most interesting is the line about the spawning of resources and decision-making. Will the choices we make have an impact on the story? Only time will tell.

With WB out of games on their upcoming slate it only makes sense to see at least one of these games next year. Maybe alongside Rocksteady's game as well.

Give your thoughts in the comments. What do you think the co-op game is? Batman and Robin? Revamped Suicide Squad? Or even the Justice League? What about the single player? Superman leaks come to fruition or maybe the Damian Wayne game?

TL;DR: WB Montreal Linkedin leaks points to co-op multiplayer open world game and single-player, open world decision and resource based game.

EDIT: MORE DETAILS:

Seems to be an Action-RPG game. Don't know exactly what that means but it seems to be vehicle based. Gotten from another linkedin profile (yay linkedin).

Here are the images: https://imgur.com/a/3kFL

My current guess is that they're making a game similar to the Suicide Squad co-op loot game they were making, but now it stars Batman heroes instead. It would have only been in development for a bit over a year now though, so it might not even be out this generation.

Deleted member 25323

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's atleast two people from Gaf that knew what they were doing (not sure if they're here) Maybe they can spread some light?

Oct 26, 2017
Option 1: They're assisting Rocksteady's new GaaS game.
Option 2: They just started another new game which will again fail and lead to either the studio being changed into an assistance studio or the studio being closed.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The studio honestly sounds like it's in chaos with all the talk and staff shifts that have happened since they released their last game.

Not to mention the state of WB's DC movies probably rattling confidence in certain ideas. I would be nervous about releasing a Suicide Squad game after everyone has associated that name with that god-awful joke of a movie.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
When SE studios can get games out faster than this studio you got issues.

But serious, essentially 2 games have been canned of there's since 2013....

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard, the Damian Wayne game was changed to be a different Batman game. I can't say for sure what they're doing, tho

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You figure if it's still a Batman title some assets could still be saved. I certainly wouldn't give up the villains that were rumored if it were possible.

I also recall them maybe aping the Nemesis System.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
WB Montreal has a very large QA group embedded in it that does QA for all WB games (at inexpensive Montreal rates), so it has a lot of value outside of just active game development for them. They also do support work on other WB projects like Injustice 2.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please be an Arkham Batman Beyond game "crosses fingers"

Honestly Batman Beyond would transition so well to a video game its kinda surprising one has never happened (as in a major one)

I guess, they just don't think that version of Batman is recognizable enough? Seems like a shoe in though for an easy sell from a gameplay / setting standpoint

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of their jobs tended to mention online, so a Batfamily game is notably more likely than a Batman Beyond game, unless Batman Beyond is going to go along with an entire crew of people.

Nov 8, 2017
Last I heard, the Damian Wayne game was changed to be a different Batman game. I can't say for sure what they're doing, tho

Please use all of your sneak fuck powers to find out what you can. From how it looks on the outside, WB Montreal sounds like it could fill a whole new one of your books alone!

I saw concept art for both games before it went public and it was certainly interesting but the pitch of Borderlands type SS game just does not compute in my brain.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Fucking facts. I like Terry but man. Gimme my Nightwing, Robin, and Batwoman. Single player with optional co-op is cool.

dick-and-damian.jpg

Can the game just be these 2?

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
All the turmoil surrounding this studio's absence has me worried. Arkham Origins was a damn good game so I had high hopes for whatever they would eventually produce. But now I don't even know if the people behind that game are even there anymore. Plus, it's a different time in the industry with GaaS looming over every AAA production.

I just don't know what to expect anymore.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
They worked on the Batgirl DLC for Arkham Knight. They may not be working on anything else.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
After the Suicide Squad game they were apparently working on got cancelled they probably helped with other WB games. Maybe E3 will give us an insight into what they've been working on

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if they went on ahead with that Superman game that leaked a few years back and have just been keeping it under wraps the whole time, tinkering with it.

Superman needs a great game....scratch that....Superman deserves a great game.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Man, all this talk about Rocksteady making a GaaS :( I hope not. I trust them, but they have already proven their worth to take on one of the most popular superheroes mythos that you'd think they'd follow the same route.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Give us a good Harry Potter game, Warner.

Avalanche (Disney Infinity) is working on one and they established Portkey studios to work on HP games.

It is just strange to see such a big studio working as support. Maybe one day Jason will tell us in his book in more detail what happened in that studio.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for being off topic but my question isn't worth creating a topic for and since WB is the publisher, I figure that asking can't hurt. Any info out there on what NetherRealm is working on? Any chance they're working on Mortal Kombat XI and possibility of seeing it at E3 this year?

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Sorry for being off topic but my question isn't worth creating a topic for and since WB is the publisher, I figure that asking can't hurt. Any info out there on what NetherRealm is working on? Any chance they're working on Mortal Kombat XI and possibility of seeing it at E3 this year?

Injustice 2 came out in 2017 so it might be a bit premature to expect a new game announcement only a year later.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 came out in 2017 so it might be a bit premature to expect a new game announcement only a year later.

True but Injustice was released in April 2013 for PS3/360, MK X was released in April 2015 and Injustice 2 was May 2017 so it seems like every two years, they release a new fighting game. Going based on this, I can see MK 11 being released in Spring 2019. Figured that it doesn't hurt to ask if any info was floating around about MK 11.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
No idea what happened to that Superman game that leaked a few years ago?

A Superman game was never leaked, only ever rumored. We had a fake screen that turned out to be nothing.

But WB Montreal was always working on Suicide Squad, which turned into a Damian Wayne Batman title, which has turned into something else now.

They worked on the Batgirl DLC for Arkham Knight. They may not be working on anything else.

Eh. Don't blame Montreal for Arkham Knight being weaksauce.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

MK XI most likely Spring 2019.
MKX (2015) > I2 (2017) > MXI (2019)

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
A Superman game was never leaked, only ever rumored. We had a fake screen that turned out to be nothing.
There was a lean on someone's LinkedIn that said they worked on a Superman game, plus there were 3 different photos of concept art with the WB Montreal stank on it that were definitely real. The artist still has them up on his website