• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
It's ok, there's places for you too!

tumblr_n54clyUVdI1qedb29o1_400.gif

I'm laughing but I shouldn't be.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Please can we go back to a reasonable conversation ? There's like too much antagonism going on. We're better than that.

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool how the only real outcome of people complaining about the Campos thread getting derailed is that now this thread is getting derailed.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up cracking and pre-purchased a copy of Battletech.

I have high hopes that it'll be what I wanted MechCommander to be back in the day, as I'm much more fond of turn-based games than RTS.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
just like how everyone forgot nintendos wii u ?
Am I missing something here? The WiiU was a huge flop, but Nintendo clearly intended for it to be the next big thing. Valve promised hardware companies to have SteamOS and Steam Controllers ready in a year, and only released the Controller (though that one is quite incredible). So many of them just ended up as normal Windows boxes, rather expensive too considering the hardware.
I feel like it could have become a big thing, but Valve seemingly lost interest in the larger project. It did lead to them focusing on making Linux gaming more accessible, so it would be hyperbole to say it lead to nothing. But it didn't really establish Valve as someone selling a full gaming platform as hardware. I believe Valve could, however, start making actual Steam Machines if MS ever really abandons proper X86 support and locks it all down to the Windows Store (not that I believe that will happen any time soon).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people so vigorously attack companies like Valve and Nintendo etc. I mean, I get the dumb driveby's. People think they're being clever. But then they and others defend the post. Why? Own your shitpost and let it go. Why continue with your half assed criticism like a dog with a bone? It's like someone found the worst representatives of a fandom and shot them up with stimulants and told them they can't go to sleep until they've ruined someone's faith in the company.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
First and foremost, it is important to understand that Valve is not solely a developer. They are also a service of distribution for PC gaming and online play. Valve the developer and Valve the distributor are the same entity, and there is no reason to separate the two since they are both Valve.

You are trying to define the complex role of Valve but I don't understand how it bears any relation to the issue of Valve threads being constantly derailed by drive-by posts and trolling. It shouldn't matter at all if Valve is considered a developer, a publisher, a platform holder or a hat maker. The question I asked was why the general rules that theoretically apply to the whole forum and every thread on it don't seem to apply to Valve threads. Every single Valve thread goes like this:

-Valve announces something or news about Valve are posted
- Endless posts of "lol Valve doesn't make games", "Steam is shit", "lol hats am I right".

It's the same exact thing in each and every Valve thread, regardless of the actual topic of conversation. In Valve threads it doesn't matter at all what the actual topic is. They all devolve really fast into the same old discussion about how Valve doesn't make any games. How in earth is this considered acceptable? Can you imagine me going into every single Microsoft thread regardless of the actual topic and drive-by posting about Microsoft's lack of exclusives? How about going into every single Sony or Naughty Dog thread and shitposting about Sony's online paywall or lack of cross-platform multiplayer? Would I be able to derail the conversation and get away scot free because it was just a joke? Because that's what you as a moderation team are allowing to happen in Valve threads. Either through indifference or through ill-conceived policy you have allowed mod-sanctioned thread derailing and shitposting against one specific company or platform.

There is not secret vendetta that we have against the platform of PC gaming, and by and large, most of the ResetEra staff are PC gamers first and foremost. We love PC gaming, and many of us enjoy Steam, but from a practical standpoint, Steam is not same thing as PC gaming, and for that reason it will not be treated as such.

You are allowing a specific part of your audience to shamelessly bully and harass another part and get away with it. I don't believe it's on purpose but the number of people in the PC Era community agreeing that this is a huge issue should give you pause and make you look into the matter more closely. You see a lot of people saying that they are actively avoiding taking part in threads that interest them because they have to wade through tons of shitposts in order to find worthwhile content. Attempt one lame joke in a Valve hread and odds are that you'll be fine, attempt the same joke in a Naughty Dog thread and you will be most likely reprimanded. How is this fair? How is this consistent with Resetera's mission statement and forum policy? Why do some developers get preferential treatment over others?

I have to head out to finish up some other work, but I will reiterate that we've heard the feedback with regards to drive by and joke posts taking up all the air and space in threads regarding Valve and Steam. We will be working on, and are committed to, cracking down on these posts. Please give us time and patience as we work towards this goal. Thank you for the feedback everyone, and apologies for any confusion.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Please do not dismiss this issue. Part of your audience is having a miserable forum experience and the only ones able to protect them is you. We only ask that the same rules are used and enforced everywhere and for everyone. There is no reason for this sort of discrimination against a specific company and a specific community.

Oct 24, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Please do not dismiss this issue. Part of your audience is having a miserable forum experience and the only ones able to protect them is you. We only ask that the same rules are used and enforced everywhere and for everyone. There is no reason for this sort of discrimination against a specific company and a specific community.
Wow, someone being reasonable and not calling all the mods pieces of shit. What has the world come to?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I just unlocked the headstomp finisher in Dying Light and this is the perfect candidate for the "Unlockable skills that should have been available by default" thread. Complete game changer. What took you so long to realize you could do this Kyle Crane?!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Unless Ys 8 gets a major patch soon, I'll be moving onto Deadpool, Brink and DMC4 over the next couple of weeks.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It is the Bayogate situation again.
Users that never or rarely post in this community trying to antagonize the people in this thread.
He is banbaiting.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I mean coming into a community thread that one never posts in, acting like an ass and then effectively calling other people the assholes.

That sure is something. Really not helpful.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of all replying to that post, you should have all reported it and not reply.
Now it takes half the page and made the user feel good about baiting all of you.

(Option B is add the user to your ignore list)

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a lot to say regarding the moderation here. This place seems just about as susceptible to the rampant platform fanaticism as the old place was. The moderation team seems ok with that and whatever stuff that comes with it. The issue isn't that drive-by postings and whatever are allowed or not -- they clearly aren't -- its that due to perception, some sorts of them are PERCEIVED to be allowed which stokes the fires of posters in Camp X or Y to push the limits further next time. Until after enough limits are pushed you end up with shitposting feeling normal. I don't envy the moderators' task here, but if they want to truly promote actual discussion, then postings with low to no effort that are off topic have to be tightly controlled. I'm sure they are trying and I'm thankful for that, but due to the fanatical culture here, I don't see this sort of drive-by and low effort posting going away without strident action. That's my 2 cents.

Ok enough mod talk:
Time to wait anxiously for Battletech to release and me to finish work tomorrow so I can play it.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool how the only real outcome of people complaining about the Campos thread getting derailed is that now this thread is getting derailed.

I don't know why the moderator response is in this thread, not the thread that was actually locked for being derailed.
I am a regular poster in PC gaming threads, but I don't post here because... well, I don't have much to say about using steam on a regular basis, sorry steam-bros.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Time to wait anxiously for Battletech to release and me to finish work tomorrow so I can play it.
I'm sad that there's no pre-loading... I'll have to finish work and then download it =/
I don't have the greatest speed so I might not get much done tomorrow.

... or maybe I could finally try that remote install...

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Member has been banned (24h): trying to antagonize and harass member, fueling thread derail.
*she
and frankly I'm just laughing at how much y'all think you are second-class citizens

hello demoted mod, and oh look a friend of nicole shitting up this thread,

oh wait whats this

MOD Edit: Removed link to off-site content

i may fall intno that but so do you

Last edited by a moderator:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I don't know why the moderator response is in this thread, not the thread that was actually locked for being derailed.
I am a regular poster in PC gaming threads, but I don't post here because... well, I don't have much to say about using steam on a regular basis, sorry steam-bros.

This is more of a general pcgaming thread anyways, so feel free to stay.
Prior to this drama we were talking about GOG's new client update actually.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
It's somewhat ironic having 'Valve', 'Steam', and practically (by extension) 'PC gaming' in general defined to us here in this thread, where it is least needed. Preaching to the converted is extraneous at best, and condescending at worst. That a forum admin felt compelled to do so is rather fascinating, I think.

Yes, Valve threads and PC-specific discussion in general seem to be an ongoing moderation challenge, but this is a monster of this forum's own creation; while flat-Earthers and those so markedly ignorant of the PC gaming 'platform' can continue to stink-up threads they have no place posting in, this will continue, and the ignorance and mob-mentality will propagate.

That many posters consider PC gaming to be synonymous with Valve/Steam is part of the problem, certainly - defining 'PC gaming' as a platform to us here is well and good, but it's obviously a much harder thing to define to the forum masses than the closed ecosystems of the consoles... and mass ignorance and misinformation thrive in ambiguity. The moderation on ResetEra often leaves far too much scope for that ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.