• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The way the whole Kojima on PC thing went was that a Playstation EU community manager confirmed that it would also be coming to PC, not Kojima. At least the Gamespot article about the news is still up, but the medium article QA where it was sourced from mysteriously vanished couple days after the news. Of course, that was now 2 years ago so who the hell knows if Sony showered Kojima with more money and it's no longer the case.

Here's the QA if anyone is curious. Looking at some of the questions, it was pretty clearly aimed at a different audience than us. G&NS forecasts and Sony's overall operating performance are the things gamers really care about.
Kojima Productions Q&A

Q1. I heard that SCE has signed an agreement with Kojima Productions, a studio newly formed by Hideo Kojima. What are the specifics of the agreement?
Kojima Productions has agreed to develop its first software title as a console exclusive to PS4. We do not disclose further details.

Q2. When was the agreement signed?
We have announced immediately after the contract was signed, Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015.

Q3. Does this mean Kojima Productions now belongs under SCE WWS?
No, it is an independent studio.

Q4. Is SCE making an investment in Kojima Productions? What is the total cost of the agreement? Is it incorporated in the G&NS forecast? How much impact will this have to Sony's overall operating performance?
SCE is not investing in Kojima Productions. Cost of the contract is undisclosed. Cost is already incorporated. Impact is minimal.

Q5. Why is Kojima Productions bringing their very first software to PS4 as a console exclusive? How did it come about?
Kojima is an extremely creative and passionate game designer who has made countless contributions to PlayStation and the gaming industry. By having Kojima develop his first independent title to PS4, we believe that we can deliver completely new gaming experiences made possibly only by Kojima, to gaming fans worldwide. We are not disclosing further details on how this agreement was realized.

Q6. What other platforms will Kojima's first independent title be available on, besides PS4?
The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4).

Q7. How long is the exclusivity?
We are not disclosing details.

Q8. Will Kojima's second title (and beyond) not be PlayStation console exclusives?
We announced an agreement regarding Kojima's first title, and SCE cannot comment on titles beyond that.

Q9. Does this have anything to do with Hideo Kojima not attending the PS Award on Dec 3?
Who will attend the PS Award ceremony is decided by the publisher and SCE cannot comment on anything further.

Q10. Will your relationship with Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. be affected by this agreement?
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. will remain one of SCE's most important publishers, and our relationship with them will not change.

In regards to the first title of Kojima Productions:

Q11. What will the first title be about?
It will be something completely new. We have nothing further to announce at this point in time.

Q12. Will the title have something to do with the METAL GEAR series?
No. It will be something completely new.
"METAL GEAR" is a title from Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Q13. Will the title have something to do with the cancelled Silent Hills sequel?
No. It will be something completely new.
"Silent Hill" is a title from Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Q14. Are there any possibilities for the title to support PS VR?
We have nothing to announce at this point in time. We will announce further details of the title when ready.

Q15. Are there any possibilities for the title to become available on PS Vita?
We have nothing to announce at this point in time. We will announce further details of the title when ready.

Q16. When will the title become available? Will it be available worldwide?

Q17. Will SCE WWS and Kojima Productions develop the first title together?
The software title will be developed by Kojima Productions, but SCE will provide support as necessary.

Q18. Which company will publish the first title?
SCE will be the publisher.

Q19. Will the title's copyright belong to SCE?
We have nothing to announce at this point in time. We will announce further details when ready.

Q20. Will all future titles developed by Kojima Productions be released on PS4?
We announced an agreement regarding Kojima's first title, and SCE cannot comment on titles beyond that.

Q21. Will Kojima Productions develop titles for other platforms while working on the PS4 console exclusive title?

Q22. Are there any possibilities for the title to be released on the next generation platform?
Kojima Productions has agreed to bring their very first software to PS4 as a console exclusive. We do not disclose further details.

<KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS>

Q23. How many staff?
Details are not disclosed.

Q24. Is the studio headquartered in Japan? What is the address?
Yes, headquarter is in Japan. Address is not disclosed

Q25. Can you tell me further details of Kojima Productions?
Please contact Kojima Productions for further details.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
If the From things turns out to be BB2 Im gonna be disappoint. DS3 was not what I wanted it to be but another Sony exclusive is gonna make DS3 suck even more than before.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if Im wrong, but that Q&A you posted were published in december. That's almost 2 years ago.

Edit: Fuck, double post..

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Until further I think Death Stranding will be PS4 and PC, but anything could have happened since the initial announcement.

PS4 is doing amazing these days when it comes to sales and Kojima has stated he is given full creative freedom so he might be satifisfied with PS4 only if Sony is giving him what he needs.

I mean, you can't create such a wacky insane game in the looks of that TGA trailer and not say Kojima has full creative freedom.

Well you can, but then you need to explain why not.

Sons of Sparda the leaker said E3 next year, another user claimed earlier, like TGA or PSX, but retracted that sometime after.

No sane business would accept to lose IP ownership. Especially what happened after Metal Gear.
As I said, if Everybody's gone to the rapture devs could negociate to have Sony Santa Monica to work on their game but retain ownership and get a PC release, I doubt Kojima would've been dumb enough to not get the same and give them a full year exclusivity to then enjoy self publishing on Steam and a good chunk of revenue.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I praised Steamworld Dig the other day and got started on the sequel just now. Almost immediately got that feeling; that this is going to be great. Just like with Zelda and Hollow Knight earlier this year. Gotta love this hobby sometimes!

I love to see posts like this :D. I take it you just started SD2? Are you going to give Steamworld Heist a try? I have it on Wii U so really should play that.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No sane business would accept to lose IP ownership. Especially what happened after Metal Gear.
As I said, if Everybody's gone to the rapture devs could negociate to have Sony Santa Monica to work on their game but retain ownership and get a PC release, I doubt Kojima would've been dumb enough to not get the same and give them a full year exclusivity to then enjoy self publishing on Steam and a good chunk of revenue.

Who said anything about sane? Death Stranding looks not like something a sane dev would make.

Perhaps he had to sacrifice IP ownership to get creative freedom?

Im not saying that the game isn't coming to PC, the first sentence in my post says I think it's coming to PC, still anything can happen in almost 2 years.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Star Ocean reminds me of the Mass Effect trilogy, where you're the captain of a spaceship to travel from one planet to another, which eventually lead to a great threat to the universe. In the middle of your journey, you will meet new crew members of different races, and you can also bond with them.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Highly doubt Sony cares about PC.
Microsoft doesn't either. They don't see PC as competition to console. PC is deprioritized mostly due to lack of proper resources and those in power just not having interest in the platform. It also makes their jobs easier and more predictable to target one sku.

Sony even acts as publisher on some steam games I believe. My guess is Kojima would self publish to PC which also means he would own the messaging.

Source: was part of team that brought Forza to PC. Forza had people internally prepping for this for years but timing is based on parent company needs and ability to hire additional resources which they did.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that in the case of shifting it to a full exclusive, Kojima Productions would also become a Sony subsidiary. When he became independent, he mentioned being interested in more than just games. Sony has a huge film studio as well, so I could see them planning a long term cooperation across many projects.
Of course this all just pure speculation, and I hope that this isn't true, playing a new Kojima game on PC would be great.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Who said anything about sane? Death Stranding looks not like something a sane dev would make.

Perhaps he had to sacrifice IP ownership to get creative freedom?

Im not saying that the game isn't coming to PC, the first sentence in my post says I think it's coming to PC, still anything can happen in almost 2 years.

Sane about business.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Correct me if Im wrong, but that Q&A you posted were published in december. That's almost 2 years ago.

Edit: Fuck, double post..
facepalm2.gif

I just said that in the very same post where the Q&A is quoted.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been thinking about going back to Fallout 4 and was wondering... Is there an equivalent to Skyrim's SkyUI mod for Fallout? I hate the fucking Pipboy

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I love to see posts like this :D. I take it you just started SD2? Are you going to give Steamworld Heist a try? I have it on Wii U so really should play that.
Yes, Steamworld Dig 2 will get a lot of my time during the coming weekend for sure. I have Heist as well and will absolutely give it a shot eventually. The devs have certainly proven themselves and will have more of my attention in the future. :)

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Highly doubt Sony cares about PC.
Microsoft doesn't either. They don't see PC as competition to console. PC is deprioritized mostly due to lack of proper resources and those in power just not having interest in the platform. It also makes their jobs easier and more predictable to target one sku.

Sony even acts as publisher on some steam games I believe. My guess is Kojima would self publish to PC which also means he would own the messaging.

Source: was part of team that brought Forza to PC. Forza had people internally prepping for this for years but timing is based on parent company needs and ability to hire additional resources which they did.
I don't know about MS, but Andy House said in an interview that PC is why PS4 Pro exists, so they definitely view PC as a competition, at least now.

Regarding the PlayStation 4 Pro, he suggested the Xbox wasn't even being considered its main competition. Rather, it was the PC. "I saw some data that really influenced me," he said. "It suggested that there's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement."

This didn't seem to be the case earlier this console cycle though, it seemed more like PC was a weird neutral ground and Boyes even said PC on stage in some Sony conferences a few times. Seems different now, especially after Ahmad and Boyes left. And now Andy House is leaving too. Oh yeah and Jack Tretton left shortly after PS4 was out. Things have definitely changed.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Bethesda has double down on making demos (or technically trials) available on Steam. Far cry from their days when they just asked people to refund, if they didn't like it or the game crashed for them.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
So how many here were lucky to win +1's from the Game Awards giveaway?

edit: okay, seeing something few pages back - congrats! Need to catch up what they announced.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I was going to play Ibb & Obb but turns out it doesn't have a single player mode like the PS3 version did.
Technically I could do some Steam input business and replicate the controls from there, but reading up on it a bit it sounds like I wouldn't actually like it. Controlling both blobs at the same time in a puzzle platformer doesn't sound like it's for me at all.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Yes, Steamworld Dig 2 will get a lot of my time during the coming weekend for sure. I have Heist as well and will absolutely give it a shot eventually. The devs have certainly proven themselves and will have more of my attention in the future. :)

Oh good :). Yes, that's how I feel about them to. There was a nice article I read about that yesterday http://www.pcgamer.com/how-steamworld-bucked-the-easy-route-and-became-a-series-without-a-genre/ that is worth a read.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh good :). Yes, that's how I feel about them to. There was a nice article I read about that yesterday http://www.pcgamer.com/how-steamworld-bucked-the-easy-route-and-became-a-series-without-a-genre/ that is worth a read.
Thx, I read it, good that they get some more exposure by PC Gamer. I believe the devs recently expressed some concerns over the saturation of games on Steam and that they did a lot better on Switch. SD1&2 is nearly flawless on GNU/Linux as well which gives them an extra gold star in my book, so hopefully they will keep their games multi-platform.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Lovecraftian monsters
Naked Norman Reedus
Norman Reedus with a baby inside his throat (what)
Mads Mikkelsen commanding an actual Skeleton army
Tanks with Tentacles

Still pissed about Silent Hills but i get the feeling Death Stranding is gonna make more than just up for it.

People don't know what they want, or at least here, will have no chance at knowing what they'll get.

Romancing SaGa 2 releasing worldwide on Dec 15

Goddammit, Im going to end up buying another Kawazu Fuckery Game ain't I?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think Sony only sees PC as an 'enthusiast' level competitor. Important to recognize, but not something they active concern themselves with. They sold off Sony Online Entertainment to move away from supporting the platform completely.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah here are quicky screenshots I took of Breath of the Wild. What little I played I rather enjoyed but getting used to the controls will take time.
t94ttNb.jpg

pXtQbd6.jpg

I don't seem to get any FPS difference between windowed and Fullscreen but I am averaging between 20-30 outside of combat and 20-25 while in battle.
Any differences between this version and the switch?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Thx, I read it, good that they get some more exposure by PC Gamer. I believe the devs recently expressed some concerns over the saturation of games on Steam and that they did a lot better on Switch. SD1&2 is nearly flawless on GNU/Linux as well which gives them an extra gold star in my book, so hopefully they will keep their games multi-platform.

I hope they do too. I have the original Dig on 3DS, Wii U and Steam and I am not normally one to double/triple dip on games. Their games are of sufficient quality that I am happy to do that though. I had totally forgotten about the first Steamworld game though. Not a fan of tower defence but if anyone is going to make it fun for me it would be them. I'll have to pick it up on the 3DS at some point.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that Xenogears concert announcement...
Went to youtube to give the ost a listen because its been ages since I last did and the feels are hitting me hard.
This was a truly special game in many ways.

Also, no Metro Redux talk on gaming side, sad.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished The Shivah.
That was way shorter than I expected and it's a pretty easy game. Still I enjoyed it a lot, with great voice acting.
I also liked these references
Oh that's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

The Internet stuff in the Blackwell games is always a treat. Rosangela has her own website, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.