• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. I'm glad I deleted SteamOS from my dual-boot then. I was hesitant about it, but it would have sucked royally if an update wiped the way I set up Windows.

Seeing these complaints and remembering how for a decade every fucking Windows SP thrashed my boot loader. <crying face emoji>

Anyway, I'd be interested to learn how much energy is saved by going from 60Hz to 40Hz on the display alone. In my mind the backlight would be the big powerdraw, but maybe I'm wrong and the switching in the LCD is a significant part.

Last edited:

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I'm glad I deleted SteamOS from my dual-boot then. I was hesitant about it, but it would have sucked royally if an update wiped the way I set up Windows.

Yeah. I put a good 10 hours into configuring Windows to feel just right plus downloading games Deck cant run natively like Fortnite and Destiny. I'm sure this isnt the case for everyone but my Deck updates have all been bad since day one. Had to reimage the system like an hour into receiving it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I noticed that an untouched 60 FPS cap seems to have more unstable frametimes than changing it to anything else. Might there be a particular reason?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I'd be interested to learn how much energy is saved by going from 60Hz to 40Hz on the display alone. In my mind the backlight would be the big powerdraw, but maybe I'm wrong and the switching in the LCD is a significant part.

Not enough to matter - like you said, its the backlight which eats most of the energy for LCD operation

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Playing DMC5 capping refresh rate at 45fps. I don't feel any difference between that and 60. Fan speed is much lower than before and drawing around 10watts. This is amazing.

Sonic Generations @ 45fps cap and Half Rate Shading on gave me a 99% consistent 45fps. I played modern Sonic Green Hill Zone stage, and the only time it dipped was to 35 fps when I slammed on the wooden bridge towards the end of the stage to break down to a hidden path. So so SO much better and feels great to play. The fan also was extremely low speeds with roughly 5watts being drawn.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
wait is 40hz in?????

it's the perfect balance for a handheld device - doesn't require the juice for 60fps, but is halfway there from 30!!

I would say it goes even beyond that.

Many people just can't stand how 30fps looks/feels.

And the Deck just can't hit 60fps in a lot of stuff.

This lets you run it high enough, now, that it looks/feels way better, but also isn't dropping frames. So the frame pacing is smooth.

Honestly, it kind of feels like this should have been the standard on handhelds for a while now. Obviously Steam Deck is not very casual friendly. But handhelds are a fixed platform. This is something that devs should have been able to set on other handhelds. Let them tune their game to 40/45/50fps (if necessary) and then manually switch the refresh rate when the game launched. Way better user experience, but the user wouldn't have to be involved in getting it working.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care much about battery life myself, because I'm always going to play near an outlet. But the control over the refresh rate is an additional tool to make sure I squeeze the most performance out of the machine (same as my desktop, if the gpu isn't always 100% sollicited then I'm doing it wrong..).

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Wanted to bump this question. Any particular settings to use for Power tool?

CPU boost always on, since this seems to be the standard and deactivating that is more like limiting it, which should call this an CPU limiter and not boost.

And then you only need to worry about the CPU SMT toggle. Either on standard, which is on and on 8 threads or off and on 4 threads. 4 threads is the big money feature hear that will improve 5-10fps in 90% of all games you test, this is why you did this.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Such a cool feature :D

Worth noting too that this'll be immensely handy for the myriad of Unity games that lock camera movement to 50fps, which causes them to judder at 60Hz or any refresh rate that's not a multiple of 50. Should stress this isn't all Unity games thankfully!

Some Unity games you'd want to lock to 50Hz:

ActRaiser Renaissance
Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX
Disco Elysium
Haven Park
Minoria
Overcooked 1 and 2 (and apparently All You Can Eat Edition)
Slain: Back from Hell
Super Indie Karts
The Coma: Recut
Tormented Souls

Other games with odd fps caps you'll want to change refresh rate on:
Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy - 59Hz
Handsome Mr Frog - 45Hz
Kathy Rain - 40Hz (Original version only, the Director's Cut is fine at any refresh rate)
Kero Blaster - 59Hz
Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People - 48Hz
Whispers of a Machine - 40Hz

Also, if you emulate old arcade games, it may be worth looking up their refresh rates as they often vary! Lots of Sega model 2 games for instance are 57fps I believe, plus the original Mortal Kombat trilogy is 54. Finally, if you emulate any PAL games (especially handy for old microcomputers), 50Hz would be a good shout there!

Last edited:

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Anyone else having issues with action set layers? Trying to set up MMO controls and I was hoping to use the back button to switch the face button to different numbers for hotbars, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wait so there's a 45 FPS cap as well? Does that mean that the screen has a 45 Hz mode on top of the 40 Hz mode?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The 40fps cap is great, I've started using it on all my games on Windows. I don't see much of a difference on such a small screen between 40 and 60, it feels good to play.

Oct 27, 2017
The 40fps cap is great, I've started using it on all my games on Windows. I don't see much of a difference on such a small screen between 40 and 60, it feels good to play.
That is a good point that seems to not be brought up much. 40fps on a small screen feels pretty close to 60 fps for non panning shots. Probably just due to the smaller the screen the more blended the animation looks from a smaller perspective. I'm probably not even articulating this right, but yes I agree with what you are saying.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Hope we get dual boot and windows proper sound support soon and most of the primary wants I have with this machine will be covered. The 40-60 slider was a great addition, that I didn't even know I wanted until a week ago. 😂

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017

Worth noting too that this'll be immensely handy for the myriad of Unity games that lock camera movement to 50fps, which causes them to judder at 60Hz or any refresh rate that's not a multiple of 50.

ActRaiser Renaissance
Disco Elysium
Haven Park
Minoria
Super Indie Karts
Tormented Souls

Unity games that lock camera movement to 50fps

Wait seriously? Why the hell is it like that in Unity? Regardless, thanks for the heads up!

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom

Worth noting too that this'll be immensely handy for the myriad of Unity games that lock camera movement to 50fps, which causes them to judder at 60Hz or any refresh rate that's not a multiple of 50.

ActRaiser Renaissance
Disco Elysium
Haven Park
Minoria
Super Indie Karts
Tormented Souls

Any idea if this is also what causes the judder in the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters?

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so there's a 45 FPS cap as well? Does that mean that the screen has a 45 Hz mode on top of the 40 Hz mode?
I see a lot of people around calling this "40hz" mode, which doesn't really cover it. You can set the screen refresh rate anywhere between 40-60hz, and the fps cap points scale automatically. So yes, you can set the screen to 45hz and then also cap the framerate to 45fps (since the "top" of the limiter scale will be 45fps instead of 60fps like it is by default). You can do the same with 50hz, 55hz, etc. etc. It's really great how much you can customize it, since the optimal setting likely changes game-to-game.

Last edited:

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
CPU boost always on, since this seems to be the standard and deactivating that is more like limiting it, which should call this an CPU limiter and not boost.

And then you only need to worry about the CPU SMT toggle. Either on standard, which is on and on 8 threads or off and on 4 threads. 4 threads is the big money feature hear that will improve 5-10fps in 90% of all games you test, this is why you did this.

I left it at 4 threads like I've seen. What about the frequency - is that maxed out?

I noticed that when I turned on the Dev setting within Steam that Syncthings doesn't work. You would need to shutdown Steam in Desktop Mode before trying to move files.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Fine, I'll take a hit for the team. I'm buying Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z

Edit:
It works very well. Just change the default M/K layout to a community controller layout

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I see a lot of people around calling this "40hz" mode, which doesn't really cover it. You can set the screen refresh rate anywhere between 30-60hz, and the fps cap points scale automatically. So yes, you can set the screen to 45hz and then also cap the framerate to 45fps (since the "top" of the limiter scale will be 45fps instead of 60fps like it is by default). You can do the same with 50hz, 35hz, etc. etc. It's really great how much you can customize it, since the optimal setting likely changes game-to-game.
Isn't the range 40-60 Hz?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
That is a good point that seems to not be brought up much. 40fps on a small screen feels pretty close to 60 fps for non panning shots. Probably just due to the smaller the screen the more blended the animation looks from a smaller perspective. I'm probably not even articulating this right, but yes I agree with what you are saying.
Yeah, exactly. I definitely notice the difference on my desktop, but on a small screen it is nowhere near as noticeable. Also, the fan kicks off a lot less often when I use 40fps compared to 60fps, so that's another benefit.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I see a lot of people around calling this "40hz" mode, which doesn't really cover it. You can set the screen refresh rate anywhere between 30-60hz, and the fps cap points scale automatically. So yes, you can set the screen to 45hz and then also cap the framerate to 45fps (since the "top" of the limiter scale will be 45fps instead of 60fps like it is by default). You can do the same with 50hz, 35hz, etc. etc. It's really great how much you can customize it, since the optimal setting likely changes game-to-game.
It's 40-60Hz, you can't set it to 35Hz or anything between 30 and 40.

Bennydiesel

Sep 2, 2019
Yeah. I put a good 10 hours into configuring Windows to feel just right plus downloading games Deck cant run natively like Fortnite and Destiny. I'm sure this isnt the case for everyone but my Deck updates have all been bad since day one. Had to reimage the system like an hour into receiving it.
Any good tips or guides that you have for someone who would be possibly be switching over to Windows to play some of the games that aren't capable on Steam OS? I hear the controller outside of Steam is tough to set up? Thanks

Oct 27, 2017
Any good tips or guides that you have for someone who would be possibly be switching over to Windows to play some of the games that aren't capable on Steam OS? I hear the controller outside of Steam is tough to set up? Thanks

It worked ok for me on windows 11 on booting from SD. It was a neat exercise, but I'm probably going to wait till can dual boot windows and it has onboard sound working (not just usb c or Bluetooth) in windows before I reinstall.

Oct 27, 2017
Two game-changing updates in one day.

The improved fan curve has transformed the device. It's mind-blowing how much of a difference it makes.

And the ability to switch the refresh rate of the display is a game changer for games that can't quite reach 60fps on the Deck. Not to mention the power savings.

As if I couldn't love the Deck more...

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The refresh rate switching is almost instantaneous. Valve's tweet made it sound alot worse. This feature is amazing.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I have bought Bugsnax, I have it too in the Epic Store. The curious things is that I tried the Epic Store version last week, and it didn't run unless you were using OpenGL, plus shuttered constantly and was performing bad. None of that happens with the Steam version, damn.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Worth noting too that this'll be immensely handy for the myriad of Unity games that lock camera movement to 50fps, which causes them to judder at 60Hz or any refresh rate that's not a multiple of 50. Should stress this isn't all Unity games thankfully!

ActRaiser Renaissance
Disco Elysium
Haven Park
Minoria
Super Indie Karts
The Coma: Recut
Tormented Souls

Other games with odd fps caps you'll want to change refresh rate on:
Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy - 59Hz
Handsome Mr Frog - 45Hz
Kathy Rain - 40Hz (Original version only, the Director's Cut is fine at any refresh rate)
Kero Blaster - 59Hz
Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People - 48Hz
Whispers of a Machine - 40Hz

Also, if you emulate old arcade games, it may be worth looking up their refresh rates as they often vary! Lots of Sega model 2 games for instance are 57fps I believe, plus the original Mortal Kombat trilogy is 54. Finally, if you emulate any PAL games (especially handy for old microcomputers), 50Hz would be a good shout there!

It can't be a coincidence that the default timing for physics/fixed update is 50fps with Unity.

It feels like that's beyond rookie mistake territory. Especially if you're tying cameras to it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
everyone post up the best 40hz games:

jedi fallen order
control
cyberpunk 2077
forza horizon 5
red dead redemption 2

Status
Not open for further replies.