• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
So, how's PS2 emulation on the Deck in general? I understand PS2 emulation is a bit perilous. Any emulators out there that support cheats, etc.?

The Metaphor stuff has me thinking I should revisit Persona 3 and 4 one of these days, been like a decade+ since I played them, but I'd probably like to go for the original versions.

It should be mostly fine, especially with the Vulkan backend. I think both standalone PCSX2 and Retroarch should handle cheats.

Native Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Reload is miles better, though, both in terms of power efficiency and just the games themselves.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Gotcha, thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure about P3R, but I thought Golden was probably straight up a worse version of P4 back in the day so I'd rather go for vanilla there, but that's neither here nor there.

ETdeVarginha

Jun 27, 2020
Same. I had to leave on April 12, so I probably just missed the stock. I'm quite sure I went to the same Bic Camera, but nothing was there. I've never had more difficulty giving my money to a corporation than with Valve. Hopefully the Steam Deck 2 gets a proper worldwide release.
Just to specify, I bought it at Bic Camera Yurakucho; I found it while strolling around Ginza.
Did you take any pictures of the display? Curious how well stocked it was, and how it was promoted.
Ufortunately I didn't take photos, but I can say it's not a prominently displayed product. To find it, I had to ask a store employee for help, and they only had 3 display pieces out. The product boxes themselves were stored internally, and the product was retrieved from internal stock when requested at the checkout. The main handheld on display in the section was the MSI Claw.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I put Fallout 4 on medium with TAA and the refresh rate at 30fps ( prioritising battery life) 3.5hours and TDP on 6.

Getting a solid 30fps with responsive controls. On my SD card loading times are on the long side, is this the case with everyone else?

OG Deck.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
It shows the app screen for a second then boots straight to the game for me.

I just played through Jedi Fallen Order the last few days and the EA app was mostly behaving.

The most common issue I'd get was the game failing to boot the first time I'd try it because of the EA app, but then it would work the second time I would start it.

My problem with the app is that it doesn't allow you to play offline. I mostly keep my deck in offline mode so I can play whenever and wherever I want to.

On another note, Crysis 2 (Max Ed) runs and looks amazingly well on the deck. Not sure why I didn't try it sooner. I remember really liking the game when it came out, played through it maybe 3 times. I love rediscovering old favorite games on the deck like this!

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Every PS2 title I have played has run well at 2x or 3x native resolution.
The only one I've tried that hasn't for me is Outrun 2006, which I was pretty gutted about, but I got the windows version working after some messing around anyway.

I got in the Hades 2 test and it looks so good on the Deck that I am fighting the urge to play the first one again (which I really, really don't need to do)

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019

• Struggles to maintain 60fps at Low settings in either 800p or 720p. Workaround is to force GPU clock to constant 1500 or 1600. This will help the game maintain 60fps (frametime still fluctuates) during rally but will drop to 30-40 during cutscenes. Another workaround is lowering render resolution scale to 80%.
  • Grpahical glitches such as transparent textures, missing assets/textures for arms and legs.
  • Black screen during cutscenes/videos.
  • Random T-posing of players

It's so annoying. It does not even hit 60. I had hope!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
So, how's PS2 emulation on the Deck in general? I understand PS2 emulation is a bit perilous. Any emulators out there that support cheats, etc.?

The Metaphor stuff has me thinking I should revisit Persona 3 and 4 one of these days, been like a decade+ since I played them, but I'd probably like to go for the original versions.

I'm finding it to be excellent. Recently, I've gone through Maximo, Xenosaga Ep. 1, and Hot Shots Golf Fore all at 2-4x resolution with no issues (to be fair, I had to add a "cheat" to HSG4 to disable shadows). Cheats aren't "native" but they are easy to get working. You'll need to create a PNACH file and add it in manually. Very simple to do, some great Youtube videos out there that will do a much better job explaining than I can.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finding it to be excellent. Recently, I've gone through Maximo, Xenosaga Ep. 1, and Hot Shots Golf Fore all at 2-4x resolution with no issues (to be fair, I had to add a "cheat" to HSG4 to disable shadows). Cheats aren't "native" but they are easy to get working. You'll need to create a PNACH file and add it in manually. Very simple to do, some great Youtube videos out there that will do a much better job explaining than I can.

Awesome! And your post reminded me that I definitely need to replay the Xenosaga games one of these days too, lol

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I put Fallout 4 on medium with TAA and the refresh rate at 30fps ( prioritising battery life) 3.5hours and TDP on 6.

Getting a solid 30fps with responsive controls. On my SD card loading times are on the long side, is this the case with everyone else?

OG Deck.

I tried playing Skyrim off an SD card and the loading times and texture pop were obnoxious, I had to transfer it . SD card performance is much worse than I expected going off impressions.

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
Just got a Steam Deck Oled and am loving it. If all I could play on this thing was Elden Ring at med/high settings with fairly stable 40 fps then I'd be content.

Only niggling issue though is the washed out HDR. For all the praise the Oled screen gets it hasn't really impressed. I am used to LG Oled when gaming on console though.

Is there an issue with HDR on games like Elden Ring and Halo Infinite on Steam Deck?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Just got a Steam Deck Oled and am loving it. If all I could play on this thing was Elden Ring at med/high settings with fairly stable 40 fps then I'd be content.

Only niggling issue though is the washed out HDR. For all the praise the Oled screen gets it hasn't really impressed. I am used to LG Oled when gaming on console though.

Is there an issue with HDR on games like Elden Ring and Halo Infinite on Steam Deck?
Elden Ring's HDR on the OLED Deck should be good, it's how I play it. I can not say for Halo Infinite but I remember being disappointed in the how it looked when I tried the campaign years ago.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
The main handheld on display in the section was the MSI Claw.

Oh wow, and that's such an objectively bad product.

Check if there is an option to calibrate the HDR in-game. In my experience it is usually calibrated to low nits (400 range) and Steam Deck goes to 1000.

Make sure your screen brightness is set no higher than 75% for HDR.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I have an LG OLED and can't say I've found the deck lacking. Maybe I should install the same game and compare.

Maybe your TV settings are on the vivid side?

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Island 2 looks gorgeous on the OLED with the default settings. Probably one of the best looking games the Deck can run.

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
Let me clarify. Perhaps my issue with ER isn't with HDR but with the loss of detail and expected level of contrast in darker scenes. Blacks are washed out and details are smeared.

Halo Infinite definitely has an HDR issue though. Setting HDR in the game menu dulls the colours but the HDR badge on the Steam Deck doesn't even trigger.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Let me clarify. Perhaps my issue with ER isn't with HDR but with the loss of detail and expected level of contrast in darker scenes. Blacks are washed out and details are smeared.

Halo Infinite definitely has an HDR issue though. Setting HDR in the game menu dulls the colours but the HDR badge on the Steam Deck doesn't even trigger.
Blacks should not be washed out in HDR on Elden Ring. Go into a dark room and check the title screen after login in, it does not go into HDR until you push start on the menu. See if you are getting a perfect black background against the Elden Ring menu.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021

OG Deck.
IIRC Fallout 4 does some weird things with its FPS and loading times, like the lower the FPS the longer loading is. I think some mods try to fix this by uncapping the frame rate while in a loading screen to speed it up

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yall I cannot get TurboGrafx-16: Ys Book 1 and 2 to work with Rom manager. Ive tried doing my own custom .sh script and adding it to steam as a non-game, and it actually worked for Dragon Quest IV to open with a specific emulator, but dang I cant get it working on THIS.

I can get the game to open/run normally in Retroarch, but yeah Rom Manager wont parse the game with ANY of the emulators provided... I'm kinda stuck.

Anyone else run into the same problem?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe you're running into the bug where HDR causes a washed out screen (you can tell in the title screen, where the entire screen will appear grayish)? I've had that bug happen on random for me, but in Windows.

Sep 29, 2020
Damn my Deck is sitting at the post office but as I haven't updated last name in a couple of places since I got married and totally missed this in the confirmation email (my new last name is pretty close the my unmarried last name) I can't collect my Deck as the name on the box doesn't match my id... And I don't have a non expired id with my old last name either.

I put in a support ticket with valve to change the name with the carrier. I hope they don't make a fuss about it and just send out an adress correction.

So weird as I ordered a SD about a year ago and that got sent to the right name.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
So I posted the first day I got my deck having a somewhat poor fitting USB. Steam got back to me finally and gave me an RMA, but I kinda don't want to send it in and get a worse deck. I also don't want to have to re-setup everything.

I think the USB doesn't have perfect fitting and sometimes cause the dock to connect a bit askew. It's just the outer metal portion seems to be a tiny bit under the plastic on the right side of these photos. I'm just used to apples exacting fitting but I know the steam deck is a bit more modular.

Does anyone think I should send it in? Or am I probably good? The connection and middle plastic bit are fine.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was out last week due to a surgery but had my trusty Deck to keep me company. Ended up doing a run through of Halo 3 on legendary. Have a new appreciation of how it looks all these years later, besides the potato people character models.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Huh. Now that Valve is instead sending a replacement Deck OLED after 3 failed RMAs on my original one, apparently it's through FedEx? It was UPS when I first ordered and every RMA except the one I sent yesterday (but that's going straight back to Valve instead of United Radio).

Hopefully it's here by the end of the week, it's FedEx International Priority apparently.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP, was finally ready to order an OLED, only to get hit with a pending transaction

EDIT: Cool, complaining worked, just went through. Was afraid it'd take hours like it's been for several others apparently lol

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Started Dragon Age 2 a little while ago and I had the sudden realization that I still just don't like Dragon Age 2, haha.

Might just watch a playthrough of the DLC that ties into DA:I and go straight to Inquisition. I was going to replay Origins again too, but I've already played that one a bunch so decided to skip it for now.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
There any kind of work around to play the original dragon age with controller support? Same for Dragon Age Inquisition.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
There any kind of work around to play the original dragon age with controller support? Same for Dragon Age Inquisition.
For Origins, no sadly. There are a bunch of community configurations that let it play pretty well. You could potentially emulate the 360/PS3 version, but I don't know how well those work on Deck.

For Inquisition, there was a recent fix for the gamepad support, I think it's this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/1aifl1r/dragon_age_inquisition_controller_support_added/

Haven't tried it myself just yet, but I will be once Inquisition is installed.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
For Origins, no sadly. There are a bunch of community configurations that let it play pretty well. You could potentially emulate the 360/PS3 version, but I don't know how well those work on Deck.

For Inquisition, there was a recent fix for the gamepad support, I think it's this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/1aifl1r/dragon_age_inquisition_controller_support_added/

Haven't tried it myself just yet, but I will be once Inquisition is installed.
I'm using the DAI controller fix and it works great. Just make sure to use the updated 1.0.2 one since the 1.0.1 recently broke after an EA app update.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wanted to try hooking the SD to my tv.
Tried forcing 1080p on Alan Wake, but the in-game options still only go up to 800p. Am I doing something wrong?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So, I did some googling last night on this topic, but I figured I'd pop in here and ask. Is there a better way to get the Deck to download stuff at a speed that resembles something from this century? I swapped it to dev mode and turned off the...battery saver wifi thing, but it took hours to download Fallout 76. Wired and docked, wireless, doesn't seem to matter. It downloads orders of magnitude slower than literally every other device on my network.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So, I did some googling last night on this topic, but I figured I'd pop in here and ask. Is there a better way to get the Deck to download stuff at a speed that resembles something from this century? I swapped it to dev mode and turned off the...battery saver wifi thing, but it took hours to download Fallout 76. Wired and docked, wireless, doesn't seem to matter. It downloads orders of magnitude slower than literally every other device on my network.

Set to a different download server in Steam settings? Maybe you just have a crap Steam server you're accessing.

I wouldn't call my Deck fast, but it's about as good as can be expected. I can probably cap out at about 60MB/sec (which is roughly 500mbps) if the moons align. But Steam does like to download and decrypt files in tandem. And things can slog to a halt when decrypting. If you're doing this on an SD card, I could imagine it especially being an issue. Honestly, I don't use an SD card for that stuff, but it I can see where it could be awful with the wrong card.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Weird. I get 300-600mbs on everything.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Set to a different download server in Steam settings? Maybe you just have a crap Steam server you're accessing.

I wouldn't call my Deck fast, but it's about as good as can be expected. I can probably cap out at about 60MB/sec (which is roughly 500mbps) if the moons align. But Steam does like to download and decrypt files in tandem. And things can slog to a halt when decrypting. If you're doing this on an SD card, I could imagine it especially being an issue. Honestly, I don't use an SD card for that stuff, but it I can see where it could be awful with the wrong card.

Worth a shot, I actually didn't know this was a thing. While I do have an SD card, I wasn't downloading/installing to it this time.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
My replacement Deck OLED has arrived! And apparently they still ship out early units? I got the "you have one of the first OLED Decks, so we need to do some updates" prompt, which worries me as my launch OLED Deck had the audio board issue.

Edit: Guess Fucking What

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
My replacement Deck OLED has arrived! And apparently they still ship out early units? I got the "you have one of the first OLED Decks, so we need to do some updates" prompt, which worries me as my launch OLED Deck had the audio board issue.

Edit: Guess Fucking What
I'm almost afraid to ask what this issue is.