• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Total war Warhammer 2, I'm planning to dock and play in my basement... Can I expect decent performance? What about potentially AOE4 and Warhammer 3 upcoming? RTS games are more cpu dependent no? Is that not great for the steam deck
We don't know enough about warhammer 3 to talk about performance but i'd expect wh3 in battle to run better than wh2. I however think that campaignwise wh3 will probably not run very well due to its sheer size.

warhammer 2 (and all other total wars) are very costumizable. If you want the biggest battles possible steam deck will probably suffer; if you play on high model quantity then i think the game is very feasible for the deck to run.

Generally speaking total wars don't have generally very good performance in big battles (read that as in >6000 troops). The "small" battles (1000-2000) are usually run well.

Guinguin

alt account
Banned
Sep 2, 2021
I have one pre-ordered but it's a shame all those free Epic games won't work on it unless you buy and install windows with all of its bloat.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have one pre-ordered but it's a shame all those free Epic games won't work on it unless you buy and install windows with all of its bloat.
It is just a client. I can't see the problem of downloading a free piece of software.
that is sarcasm. I know it is juvinile but I jsut couldn't resist saying it because how anoying people do this shit.

That said my (small) understanding of Linux is that EGS can be run in linux and you can use steam's proton to run the games. whether they will run well is the question, specially when EGS usually has a bigger overhead than steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It runs a version of Linux which isn't going to be compatible with Epic games I'm pretty sure.
? Linux is Linux. If something works on normal Linux, it will work in SteamOS (which is Linux).
Only problem would be that Epic hasnt released a version of its launcher on Linux, but there are some options to run it in Linux through translation barriers.

It is just a client. I can't see the problem of downloading a free piece of software.
that is sarcasm. I know it is juvinile but I jsut couldn't resist saying it because how anoying people do this shit.

That said my (small) understanding of Linux is that EGS can be run in linux and you can use steam's proton to run the games. whether they will run well is the question, specially when EGS usually has a bigger overhead than steam.
EGS cannot be run in Linux in a normal way, you would need to use Lutris to use EGS.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It runs a version of Linux which isn't going to be compatible with Epic games I'm pretty sure.
I'm sure if Epic contacted Valve they would help in integrating Proton into a possible EGS Linux client. Valve wants to push Linux gaming, and having more major stores available would help there.

And in the meanwhile, you could just set up a dual boot on the Deck, if you want to have both EGS games and don't give up on SteamOS.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if Epic contacted Valve they would help in integrating Proton into a possible EGS Linux client. Valve wants to push Linux gaming, and having more major stores available would help there.

And in the meanwhile, you could just set up a dual boot on the Deck, if you want to have both EGS games and don't give up on SteamOS.
You can already force Proton to any EGS game by adding the games as "non-Steam" games in the Steam Library.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is also a graphical client based on Legendary called Heroic
github.com

GitHub - Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher: A games launcher for GOG, Amazon and Epic Games for Linux, Windows and macOS.

A games launcher for GOG, Amazon and Epic Games for Linux, Windows and macOS. - Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher

128629054-78f1ce34-cd1d-4502-97a3-664ffbb5120e.png

127303257-a51016cd-acaa-4f0a-a171-0499c470fd04.png

127303388-223d5e20-abbf-4310-8c06-56bfeb01baa7.png

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
There is also a graphical client based on Legendary called Heroic
github.com

GitHub - Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher: A games launcher for GOG, Amazon and Epic Games for Linux, Windows and macOS.

A games launcher for GOG, Amazon and Epic Games for Linux, Windows and macOS. - Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher

128629054-78f1ce34-cd1d-4502-97a3-664ffbb5120e.png

127303257-a51016cd-acaa-4f0a-a171-0499c470fd04.png

127303388-223d5e20-abbf-4310-8c06-56bfeb01baa7.png
This needs more exposure. This is huge for Steam Deck owners who have stocked up on EGS games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
ghibli99 Many thanks again for all the impressions. Have you experienced any issues with font/interface size so far?
Yeah, I think I mentioned earlier that some games were hard to navigate and I had to squint quite a bit due to the in-game font size being really small (if you played Fire Emblem: Three Houses in portable mode on Switch, you probably feel my pain!), but I think those were more the exception rather than the rule. Games having adjustable font sizes -- which a lot of PC games do -- will greatly benefit players on this.

Thanks for checking this out.
Just to be sure does SteamOS force you to format into EXT4 before being able to use the SD cards or could you have just kept it on fat32 or exfat and access files on there via SteamOS as well as install games on that filesystem ?

I was wondering if could prepare my SD card already for SteamOS but if nothing except EXT4 is supported i might just wait for the release.
In its current state, you can only select to format the SD card from the menu, and it's kinda buggy right now. It doesn't tell you when it's done or what format it's in, which I'm sure Valve is still working on. Once it's formatted, it shows up as a separate drive and you can make it your default install location. And when I removed it from the Deck, I couldn't read it on my PC (although I probably could with one of the paid file system managers that are available). Sorry, my Linux experience is pretty limited.

ghibli99

I am really really hyped for the SteamDeck, but I need to ask my only real question: will I wake my wife if I play with the SteamDeck while she is sleeping? lol
You know what's funny... after using it quite a bit over the past two days, the fan seems to have gotten quieter. I don't know if it's the games I'm playing or what (maybe I unknowingly had titles running with unlocked framerates, causing the load/fan speed to increase), but I haven't noticed it nearly as much as when I first got it. So... your wife may very well sleep soundly through your gaming time!

Last edited:

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think I mentioned earlier that some games were hard to navigate and I had to squint quite a bit due to the in-game font size being really small (if you played Fire Emblem: Three Houses in portable mode on Switch, you probably feel my pain!), but I think those were more the exception rather than the rule. Games having adjustable font sizes -- which a lot of PC games do -- will greatly benefit players on this.

I have FO4 and Skyrim but only have RDR2 on XB1, so I'll give those two a shot. Will report back tomorrow; if I forget, please feel free to @ me. :)

In its current state, you can only select to format the SD card from the menu, and it's kinda buggy right now. It doesn't tell you when it's done or what format it's in, which I'm sure Valve is still working on. Once it's formatted, it shows up as a separate drive and you can make it your default install location. And when I removed it from the Deck, I couldn't read it on my PC (although I probably could with one of the paid file system managers that are available). Sorry, my Linux experience is pretty limited.

You know what's funny... after using it quite a bit over the past two days, the fan seems to have gotten quieter. I don't know if it's the games I'm playing or what (maybe I unknowingly had titles running with unlocked framerates, causing the load/fan speed to increase), but I haven't noticed it nearly as much as when I first got it. So... your wife may very well sleep soundly through your gaming time!

I don't have FH4 in Steam, and I can't seem to add my Win10 Game Pass titles to my library... if there's a way, I'm sure someone will tell me. :)

Can you try playing games on Steam Deck without any internet connection/offline and see if it works without any issues?

JoseJX

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for checking this out.
Just to be sure does SteamOS force you to format into EXT4 before being able to use the SD cards or could you have just kept it on fat32 or exfat and access files on there via SteamOS as well as install games on that filesystem ?

I was wondering if could prepare my SD card already for SteamOS but if nothing except EXT4 is supported i might just wait for the release.

On Steam for Linux now, you really do need to use a Linux filesystem. Some things don't work quite right with NTFS and I'm sure it's worse with FAT32. I'd suspect they'll format it for ext4 or something similar.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Something I'm actually really interested is the power draw when playing older PS360 era titles like Arkham Knight/City, Metal Gear Rising and UMvC3. We all know they'll run at 720/800p60 at max settings no problem, but the amount of power they need for that is still an open question.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Something I'm actually really interested is the power draw when playing older PS360 era titles like Arkham Knight/City, Metal Gear Rising and UMvC3. We all know they'll run at 720/800p60 at max settings no problem, but the amount of power they need for that is still an open question.

Valve said that when running Portal 2 at 60 fps Steam Deck's battery lasts about four hours, so that would suggest a 10W power draw, right?

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
ghibli99 Do you happen to own Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 8? I'm curious especially about 8.

Another one I can think of: portable Valheim.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

Thank you for giving me peace of mind lol 😄

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Nah perfect thats fine thanks a lot. You provided us already with more information than we could have hoped for, i was ready to have to wait until late November or December for more news and impressions on the SteamDeck.

This one would be my last request and i dont expect you to be able to test it now or anytime soon.

www.resetera.com

Steam Deck: Valve Handheld Gaming PC revealed Valve - Tech

https://github.com/derrod/legendary

If you could somehow figure out if you can get this working on the SteamDeck and have EGS games run on it aka. perform well via Proton. This would be such a massive game changer for me and meant i wouldnt need to worry about Windows for the SteamDeck no more.
On Steam for Linux now, you really do need to use a Linux filesystem. Some things don't work quite right with NTFS and I'm sure it's worse with FAT32. I'd suspect they'll format it for ext4 or something similar.
This makes sense, i kinda hoped that maybe for SteamOS3 and the SteamDeck launch they might open up things a bit more and offer more format support so that users have an easier time using the same storage across plattforms without having to format to ext4.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah perfect thats fine thanks a lot. You provided us already with more information than we could have hoped for, i was ready to have to wait until late November or December for more news and impressions on the SteamDeck.

This one would be my last request and i dont expect you to be able to test it now or anytime soon.

www.resetera.com

Steam Deck: Valve Handheld Gaming PC revealed Valve - Tech

https://github.com/derrod/legendary

If you could somehow figure out if you can get this working on the SteamDeck and have EGS games run on it aka. perform well via Proton. This would be such a massive game changer for me and meant i wouldnt need to worry about Windows for the SteamDeck no more.

This makes sense, i kinda hoped that maybe for SteamOS3 and the SteamDeck launch they might open up things a bit more and offer more format support so that users have an easier time using the same storage across plattforms without having to format to ext4.
Legendary works fine, but it's command line only tool which will probably turn people off. There is a Graphical frontend for it called Heroic which is easier to use

github.com

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Legendary works fine, but it's command line only tool which will probably turn people off. There is a Graphical frontend for it called Heroic which is easier to use

github.com

Oh yeah thats what i meant, thought this was obvious because its been posted shortly after xD

So you would have to launch it only to download the games, which you could then add to your Steam Library and start from Steam OS or am i wrong about that ? Because thats how i run most EGS games on my Windows HTPC.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Valve said that when running Portal 2 at 60 fps Steam Deck's battery lasts about four hours, so that would suggest a 10W power draw, right?

Good point. Portal 2 is probably a solid indicator of how a game that was 720p30 on the 7th gen consoles goes at 720p60 on the Deck. Though we don't technically know what settings they were using, and I have to assume that games that managed 720p60 on PS360 would last even longer, right? Could MGR or UMvC3 last for 5 or even 6 hours maxed out?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Good point. Portal 2 is probably a solid indicator of how a game that was 720p30 on the 7th gen consoles goes at 720p60 on the Deck. Though we don't technically know what settings they were using, and I have to assume that games that managed 720p60 on PS360 would last even longer, right? Could MGR or UMvC3 last for 5 or even 6 hours maxed out?

It's possible. The GPU portion of the APU consumes the lion's share of power so a game that is light on the GPU should give good battery results.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I have FO4 and Skyrim but only have RDR2 on XB1, so I'll give those two a shot. Will report back tomorrow; if I forget, please feel free to @ me. :)
Thanks! If it's not too much of a hassle, can you also check if it's difficult to install mods on Steamdeck? No pressure though--I know mods aren't easy to figure out for people not interested in modding. It's totally fine if you don't use mods; even your impressions on vanilla games would be very appreciated!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Didn't they say 15 + 5 (display and stuff)? Might be closer to 5 watts for the APU and 5 for the display and stuff?

EDIT: It's the same thing: 10 watts power draw. Just pointing out how at a certain point, diminishing returns could be kicking in.

JoseJX

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! If it's not too much of a hassle, can you also check if it's difficult to install mods on Steamdeck? No pressure though--I know mods aren't easy to figure out for people not interested in modding. It's totally fine if you don't use mods; even your impressions on vanilla games would be very appreciated!

From my experience with Steam on Linux using Proton and assuming that things are working properly, installing mods isn't all that different than on Windows. You may need to use an alternative version of Proton, but I suspect a lot of these will be ironed out or documented pretty well. I've got about 1400 Steam games and a vast majority of them work pretty well in Proton or are native. I do play a lot of Indie games and tend to avoid AAA games and multiplayer games which tend to be where there are issues.

For Skyrim explicitly, I know that stuff like SKSE64 and SEEdit work fine. I don't have RDR2 or FO4, sorry.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they say 15 + 5 (display and stuff)? Might be closer to 5 watts for the APU and 5 for the display and stuff?

EDIT: It's the same thing: 10 watts power draw. Just pointing out how at a certain point, diminishing returns could be kicking in.

I don't know if Valve has explicitly said so but it can be logically deduced. The APU's max power draw is 15W, minimum battery time on a 40W battery is 2 hours so that does leave 5W for the rest of the system.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

I was reading some of the comments earlier, and for now, I'm not quite sure how to do this. Sorry about that, but I'm glad that my previous posts have been helpful. I was having some serious buyer's remorse when I reserved the $650 version, but now after having messed w/ the dev kit, I absolutely can't wait for my actual unit to ship so that I can really dive in and have the homebrew community (and those who are much more technical and smarter than me LOL) have at it.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
So I tried Skyrim, and it runs at native 1280x800, autodetects High settings via the launcher, and runs at 60fps. After having played Skyrim and the two expansions on Switch, this is a bit of a revelation seeing it run on a handheld device so smoothly. It's really nice! You have to use the trackpad/touchscreen to navigate the launcher part at first, which is a bit strange due to some of the window sizing and popups that appear, but who knows... Bethesda might update that part since you can basically set your game to autodetect the Deck via the OS for customized/optimized settings, so this is something I hope a lot of developers do to smooth out the end user experience further.

As for mods, sorry, this is something I haven't really messed with, even on the PC side outside of my GOG version of The Witcher 3.
Thanks, sounds really encouraging!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'm wondering how games like Witcher 1 will work on this device. As far as I know it does not support controllers and we don't know how the trackpad will adapt.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
800p 60 fps on Skyrim SE high settings sounds pretty promising. I remember having to do 900p med-high settings on a 750 ti to get 40-60 fps.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
So I tried Skyrim, and it runs at native 1280x800, autodetects High settings via the launcher, and runs at 60fps. After having played Skyrim and the two expansions on Switch, this is a bit of a revelation seeing it run on a handheld device so smoothly. It's really nice! You have to use the trackpad/touchscreen to navigate the launcher part at first, which is a bit strange due to some of the window sizing and popups that appear, but who knows... Bethesda might update that part since you can basically set your game to autodetect the Deck via the API for customized/optimized settings, so this is something I hope a lot of developers do to smooth out the end user experience further.

As for mods, sorry, this is something I haven't really messed with, even on the PC side outside of my GOG version of The Witcher 3.

That is awesome for Skyrim. I see no reason why mods wouldn't work, the only thing I don't know about is the modding tools that automatically deal with the load orders and conflicts and how that will work on SteamOS. Might have to manually do load orders like the modding on console? Either way that is encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.