• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Valve still needs to come forward and talk about the how and why of this. If I was a dev this would make me super insecure about the platform going forward.

Hope the owner of that alt-account on the previous page (Page 3@50ppp) was also tracked down, borderline racist bullshit he was typing.

Edit: and of course I get the new page bump lol.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Idgaf about the devs, why other devs didnt lower the price as well? It's their loss, end of the story, pretending Valve to compensate is just ridiculous. 2 weeks are more than enough to contact Valve or wait for a statement, but nope, let's cry on Twitter.

This isn't happening because they 'cried on Twitter'.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the impression I get based how they run their flagship service. Considering their customer service, paid steam workshop, Dota streaming, etc. They take a lot of time to think things through before they decide things, but still take dumb decisions. They just seem out of touch.

Yeah, I get that impression comes across, but in a way it's very... They don't expect the reactions they get sometimes. Like, paid mods to me is a great idea, but then large portions of the internet come out against it, and Valve are like "But you pay pubs/devs, we'rejust trying to put modders in the same bracket. WTF?".

Their customer service, btw, has improved vastly. :)

Wether these emails went out automatically or not is irrelevant if no one cam be certain about it. From the view of anyone not part of valve, these weren't automated mistakes but official statements.

They were statements to developers, in email form. They weren't "official statements", because this isn't what an official statement looks like. Certainly they may not have been automated, but equally we don't know they weren't.
It's not a false equivalency, because as someone posted above, the devs did it to bring attention to the issue (and not to gain quick sales as I initially thought)

It is a flase equivalency, because they

The developers chose to do so as a reaction to valves mistake.

If it weren't for said mistake, the developers wouldn't have done it. That is my entire point.

I would argue you're combining two things - them bringing attention to this via Twitter, and them bringing attention to this via discount. They're not the same thing, and I'm saying that the latter was a hasty business mistake.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Valve is such a shit company.
Yeah, such a shit company.
I'll just go buy these games on a service controlled by any of the great companies that Era loves, like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or even GoG. Oh, wait.

Valve isn't perfect -- i.e. I believe they should allow any adult content without silly workarounds -- but they are still a good deal better than any other major platform holder. About this issue and many others besides.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not as though the ban was immediate and removed all those games off Steam immediately - they had two weeks. They decided to create outrage on minute 1, day 1.

It could easily have been a million things from automated response from mass reports to some sort of new law that Valve needed to adhere to. But no, first thing people did was go on Twitter to rant. Pathetic.

Valve needs to be more open, but this idiocy of trying to create open flame wars and hostility is even worse.

"Leave Valve alone!!1!"

Yes, how dare they publicise the fact that their products and primary source of income were about to be delisted. They should have kept quiet until the last second when it would be too late to do anything.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
It's more likely that it was a mistake, or some automated email based on some insane group flagging games. Gotta hope Valve has some measure of rationality to not actually do something like this.

Maybe, I have my doubts though since Valve doesnt have the greatest history with these things. I recall them making a comment a few years ago about how if they were selective about what games got on the steam store, VNs probably wouldnt have made it on. They've also been trying to cut out the more sexual content of ganes for awhile. Last year they told devs they couldn't link to uncensored patches anymore.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Valve employ some of the smartest people on the planet, but apparently not a single one of them has the communication skills or community outreach ability of your average fast food employee.

Almost every problem Valve has ever had, every fuck up they've ever made, every frustration that can be levelled against them, boils down to an incomprehensibly consistent failure to communicate.

That they are so staggeringly successful in spite of having the PR skills of a late 90's Tobacco industry executive demonstrates just how comprehensively they out-compete the rest of the industry.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing about Valve out-competing the rest of the industry is they didn't try to do that. Steam was just supposed to be a place to buy Valve's games at first, and then other companies made their games available through it, and then it just grew out of hand. Now it's the kind of the PC digital distribution marketplace with all the problems that come from something having just happened rather than being planned. Having said that, the situation has been like this for years on end now and fixes for issues like the failure of communication that started this whole mess really should have been in place a very long time ago.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, this is probably more for historical interest now that Valve has reversed this decision, but it turned out that Coming Out on Top also was on the hitlist.
I actually checked the developer's Twitter around when the notices were going out, but he didn't seem very active. Didn't think to check the steam forum. So it was pretty much anything sexual in that case.