• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So why was Witcher not on email list of change your game or it will be pulled? You know if it was sexual content.

What about all those stripper's tits and Hooker sex in gta?
We don't know, but it could be anything from a double standard where Valve doesn't want to lose their big business, to those particular games not infringing because it has something to do with minors, blah blah.

I just wanted the thread title to be more accurate, and it is now (so thanks for the speedy response mods).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Near as I can tell (and someone do feel free to correct me) - the Takedown warning emails were automated. This was not (afaik) an arbitrary decision someone made, and then walked back on.

My guess would be automation as well, but nothing is certain. Could very well be a similar situation to Hatred where one person made a call, then when others find out they try to reverse it. I doubt we'll ever know.
On the other hand, this is one of the few big services deciding to go for minimal curation and selling VNs in the first place. It almost figures there will be occasional issues with censorship / modification of games / rejection of games etc with this kind of content.

Oct 25, 2017
Good, but Valve's ability to just do massive changes on the fly and then wait a day and reverse it is worrying. They keep doing it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
So why was Witcher not on email list of change your game or it will be pulled? You know if it was sexual content.

What about all those stripper's tits and Hooker sex in gta?

Until you know the specific issues at hand, I don't know how you can jump to so many conclusions and knee jerks.
The actual reasoning and what content is at issue is completely unknown and I doubt Valve will make their emails between business partners public unless they end up pulling a game entirely (which has happened previously iirc). Also, if I were to take a guess, images depicting what can be perceived as minors, really changes the context of things a little bit (if this was even the issue in the first place)

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
We don't know, but it could be anything from a double standard where Valve doesn't want to lose their big business, to those particular games not infringing because it has something to do with minors, blah blah.

I just wanted the thread title to be more accurate, and it is now (so thanks for the speedy response mods).

Neither had some of the banned games.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You know, with the way stupid things happen at Valve and then immediately get changed as soon as someone says, "Hey that's stupid", you would almost think the company has no structure and people just sort of do whatever the fuck they feel like without any sort of oversight or even significant peer review, and "Valve's" reaction to any given thing is just owed to whichever individual employee happens to be manning the switch when you look.

random51

Banned
May 6, 2018
You know, with the way stupid things happen at Valve and then immediately get changed as soon as someone says, "Hey that's stupid", you would almost think the company has no structure and people just sort of do whatever the fuck they feel like without any sort of oversight or even significant peer review, and "Valve's" reaction to any given thing is just owed to whichever individual employee happens to be manning the switch when you look.

You mean it appears they have the very flat reporting structure they've always said they have?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Posting an inflammatory image with "Japs" written in it.
Mod Edit: Removed Image

Anime lives to see another day

Last edited by a moderator:

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Someone should rub it in the fucking puritans that their plot has failed.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Re-reviewed huh? That still doesn't mean these games are in the clear, though?

A reasonable conclusion would be the games which were given the nod by Valve previously and then warned will be fine. The games that weren't given the nod previously will be subject to actual review, which could go either way. Hopefully some of the more obvious "this girl ain't legal" games will be told to leave, which gives a win for everyone.

All speculation on my part, though, so don't take my word as gospel.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I welcomed the change to its policy regarding nudity some time ago. I wish they would allow even more.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Valve should make a clear stance before they distribute warnings. Warn and lift warnings like this doesn't really look good.
Makes it look like they cave under pressure. Some potential publishers would feel nervous to put their games on the platform.

A reasonable conclusion would be the games which were given the nod by Valve previously and then warned will be fine. The games that weren't given the nod previously will be subject to actual review, which could go either way. Hopefully some of the more obvious "this girl ain't legal" games will be told to leave, which gives a win for everyone.

All speculation on my part, though, so don't take my word as gospel.
Didn't Valve give a stance on off-site nude patch recently too?
I wonder if it affected their final decision.

Kenpachii

Banned
Mar 23, 2018
No spine but was to be aspect-ed from a company like Valve tho, hope EU slams Valve at some point.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Taking a huge unilateral action, causing mass panic among the affected developers, and then reversing it a day or two later with a "whoops!" is such a Valve move.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Good, this whole situation was stupid in the first place. Its also good to keep in mind Valve will bend with enough pressure.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve should make a clear stance before they distribute warnings. Warn and lift warnings like this doesn't really look good.
Makes it look like they cave under pressure. Some potential publishers would feel nervous to put their games on the platform.
Yeah this flip-flopping isn't good for business although most indies don't really have a choice when it comes to PC. It's one of the cons of a privately owned business I guess, there isn't enough set of eyes looking at each decision made.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
So a stricter policy is still likely to be implemented but they're at least going to work with the developers to not entirely screw them over, not really a win but it's still something.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Game developers should be allowed to create the content they want and be free from any corporate or government attempt to place restraints on said material. Consumers should also be free be to purchase those products. Whether one disagrees with the material being produced is there right, and they can and should express there opionion. But, it should not be imposed on others. I personally don't purchase erotic games, but will fight for the right of others to do so.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, game companies and consumers can already do that; most of these companies distribute uncensored versions through other websites as well, and Steam versions are usually censored to begin with (sometimes with optional patches for restore adult content, sometimes not). As a private platform Steam doesn't have to allow everything onto their service, the main issue is that there's very little transparency in their decisions. Some of the games that were flagged had adult patches, some didn't, some had sexual content that involved characters stated to be less than 18 years old, some didn't. It's all over the place. Some games that have probably worse content, morally or quality wise, did not get flagged for censure or removal.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I feel many miss that point. Making the statement of it's an automation doesn't cover the fact that this was an issue, action was taken and a result was delivered.

If it was automated, then I suspect games were Report Bombed. And if that was the case, then it's a) an issue with the system, and b) indicative that a concerted effort by a group or groups caused this.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Wait ? the mails were automated ?

Those things should never be automated. Those things should be done by humans following a policy made by the company

All companies these days want to automate everything and in the end a skynet is created. Hopefully a human actually checks the next batch of emails

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. I was hoping they were finally going to clean some of the garbage out.
Yeah, fuck the people who make a living off of selling VNs on Steam, am I right? I don't like the games, so the people who make them should have to suffer from a capricious and unexplained decision and possibly lose their livelihood.