• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This ain't it chief.

There are games that depict rape, but in this rape is the point. They aren't equivalent.

If i recall correctly, in GTA the goal was to get enough money to go the next level/city. More you killed cops, more the money per kill you got.

Murder is a relatively outlandish experience. Society as a whole also condemns murder extensively, there's no precedent of people condoning/ignoring daylight murder. In GTA, it isn't really realistic, either.

And at the end of the day it can still be argued that its slapdash violence might be harmful (in terms of how it changed/reinforced the status quo of the industry, how it influences all the 10 year old boys playing the game, etc.).

When a game like Hatred comes out that's more realistic in terms of violence and murder, it still disturbs people.

Sexual assault is...different from murder.
1. It's far more pervasive.
2. Millions (the majority?) of people don't really understand what constitutes sexual assault. This contributes greatly to difference #1.
3. Sexual assault is far more difficult to investigate and prosecute.
4. Connected to #3, a lot more people are living with the consequences and hurt caused directly by sexual violence today. Shit like this being widely available is harmful to them.
5. It's harder to divorce the depiction of sexual assault from real life cases of sexual assault. Shit like this is created and distributed for sick fucks to get off to. People don't get off to video game murder, or use video game murder to emulate feelings they might get from actual murder. In the vast majority of cases, the thing being killed in a video game doesn't really show pain. Shit like this depicts the pain of sexual assault (to a degree) and makes that the focal point in its presentation, fetishizing it.

Thank you for replying. Not convinced by all your points. My english talking skills aren't good enough for me to go further.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as fucking wild as it is that this thing made it onto the store unless there is significant pressure I'm not sure that Valve pulls it. As it really doesn't violate any of their TOS. As tasteless as it can be rape isn't illegal to portray in media. Honestly the biggest hope to get it pulled is if it got mainstream press coverage. That might generate the buzz needed to put the pressure on Valve to pull it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Report it for what? it doesn't violate any of the rules that Steam claims to have.
Adult content? Legal violation? Just put anything and describe why it's not appropriate in the text box below?

If there are enough people reporting the game, they must notice it sooner or later. It's better than brewing the gamers outrage culture.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The discussion topics are something as well
Note i havent even clicked them, just wanted to see what was discussed. All I say was the headlines, same in pics.

K1tnI2E.png

YrHZmqg.png

"ResetEra betas" LOL people are so crazy

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching twitch one day and a mod for the channel I was watching got super pumped because he thought the game being played allowed rape. He posted something like, "Yes, rape! Finally!" I thought for sure he was joking, but he was completely serious.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Murder is a relatively outlandish experience. Society as a whole also condemns murder extensively, there's no precedent of people condoning/ignoring daylight murder. In GTA, it isn't really realistic, either.

And at the end of the day it can still be argued that its slapdash violence might be harmful (in terms of how it changed/reinforced the status quo of the industry, how it influences all the 10 year old boys playing the game, etc.).

When a game like Hatred comes out that's more realistic in terms of violence and murder, it still disturbs people.

Sexual assault is...different from murder.
1. It's far more pervasive.
2. Millions (the majority?) of people don't really understand what constitutes sexual assault. This contributes greatly to difference #1.
3. Sexual assault is far more difficult to investigate and prosecute.
4. Connected to #3, a lot more people are living with the consequences and hurt caused directly by sexual violence today. Shit like this being widely available is harmful to them.
5. It's harder to divorce the depiction of sexual assault from real life cases of sexual assault. Shit like this is created and distributed for sick fucks to get off to. People don't get off to video game murder, or use video game murder to emulate feelings they might get from actual murder. In the vast majority of cases, the thing being killed in a video game doesn't really show pain. Shit like this depicts the pain of sexual assault (to a degree) and makes that the focal point in its presentation, fetishizing it.
I think only #4 is actually relevant. It hits closer to home for most people, directly, indirectly. It's a rational fear. But if you try to imagine being a mother who lost her kids to a school shooting and then afterwards seeing people enjoy games like Call of Duty and laughing, I can't imagine how disgusted and disappointed at the world one would be. The same disgust people have with rape in games.

The only difference is that in the case of rape, people know about it more so than murder. Too many people are disconnected with murder. In the same way we are disgusted with rape in games, we really should be disgusted with murder in games. But the overall consensus is that we're not, so part of me thinks we're hypocrites. Fake white knights.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I kinda wish these type of games didn't get signal boosted by every single media outlet in the industry.

Yeah, the developers made a mistake by putting up a store page this early. If they had just launched the game, the free publicity would have gained them enough sales to make a tidy profit even if the game got pulled the next day.

As it really doesn't violate any of their TOS. As tasteless as it can be rape isn't illegal to portray in media.

Steam's TOS are pretty open to interpretation. Some hentai games were pulled for depicting underage anime girls but I'm pretty sure that's what all hentai games do and there are still plenty on Steam. That one game where you play as a school shooter was pulled, even though there are other games on Steam that let you kill children (like Fallout and Deus Ex). I predict RAPE DAY gets pulled within the week.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only difference is that in the case of rape, people know about it more so than murder. Too many people are disconnected with murder. In the same way we are disgusted with rape in games, we really should be disgusted with murder in games. But the overall consensus is that we're not, so part of me thinks we're hypocrites. Fake white knights.
You might be right that murder itself is too prevalent.

But IIRC there have been studies that show violent games don't encourage violence in people. Fetishized rape is clearly far more detrimental to someone who consumes it in that regard.

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019
I think only #4 is actually relevant. It hits closer to home for most people, directly, indirectly. It's a rational fear. But if you try to imagine being a mother who lost her kids to a school shooting and then afterwards seeing people enjoy games like Call of Duty and laughing, I can't imagine how disgusted and disappointed at the world one would be. The same disgust people have with rape in games.

I think when it comes to media potentially triggering people over past trauma, we kind of have to accept that hard numbers will be the biggest metric in what is "more okay". For example, someone could have a traumatic experience with a hammer and so a depiction of a hammer in something can trigger said trauma, but that's not going to be on a creator's mind because it's not a major problem that affects large swathes of people. Media has the power to depict any kind of taboo subject and sometimes that leads to both positive and negative portrayals of something objectively negative like violence or rape. The thing about rape is society has been really bad at tackling it compared to violence in terms of public perception.

I actually used to think the same way as a lot of these guys. "Rape is better than murder because at least you're alive and can recover" and that was a belief I extended to depictions in the media. While I do still somewhat feel that way about reality (albeit on a more case by case basis), I've mostly changed my opinion on it in the media as I didn't realize just how normalized sexual assault and harassment was to the point people flat out don't know when they're doing it. So I think it's not only about not triggering people, but also making sure people don't emulate that behavior. Violence is of course a big problem too, but there's a much bigger barrier that causes someone to go from playing violent video games to committing violent acts because violence being a bad thing is pretty common knowledge and there's no questions on what defines it.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Once again it's ResetEra bringing such a game to my attention (albeit via PC Gamer). At least it gives me the opportunity to report it I suppose because otherwise I would be oblivious to its existence.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Here's a thought.

Instead of using the current headline, why couldn't the reporters use headlines like these:

"Steam listing a problematic game called Rape Day, and here's how to report it"

Instead, the article double down on attacking Steam and use this kind of sub-headline:

"Visual novel glorifying sexual assault is a major challenge to Valve's anything-goes policies."

I mean, sure, Valve is at fault here, but how about the solution? They don't even mention anything about reporting the game. They simply want to attack Steam and that's it. With this kind of article(s), all the game will get is more publicity. People who are into this kind of game will be informed and support the devs.

It's really strange to me that it seems like your biggest concern is how Valve is appearing as the bad guys in this; it is as if you care more about Valve's reputation than the fact that this game is available in their store. Don't you think you have a rather skewed priority regarding this?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's really strange to me that it seems like your biggest concern is how Valve is appearing as the bad guys in this; it is as if you care more about Valve's reputation than the fact that this game is available in their store. Don't you think you have a rather skewed priority regarding this?
That's not my biggest concern, no. Did I say somewhere that Valve is innocent in this?

My biggest concern is that this game is getting a whole lot of publicity and free marketing through these articles.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
That's not my biggest concern, no. Did I say somewhere that Valve is innocent in this?

My biggest concern is that this game is getting a whole lot of publicity and free marketing through these articles.

So the alternative is what, they shouldn't report about it at all? It's because of these reports that people know about how a despicable game like this is available in steam, and thus they can push Valve to do something in the end.

This is the same Valve who didn't do jack shit about the existence of numerous hate groups in their forums, an existence that they let fester for years , not until Motherboard made an article about it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So the alternative is what, they shouldn't report about it at all? It's because of these reports that people know about how a despicable game like this is available in steam, and thus they can push Valve to do something in the end.

This is the same Valve who didn't do jack shit about the existence of numerous hate groups in their forums, an existence that they let fester for years , not until Motherboard made an article about it. So what, was Motherboard signal boosting those hate group forums when they reported it? Should they just be quiet about it?
I didn't say that, didn't I? Please read my post you quoted.

Lots of problematic games got removed in the past after users reported them. But these articles never mention that at all, that we can report this game before it's available for purchase.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I didn't say that, didn't I? Please read my post you quoted.

Lots of problematic games got removed in the past after users reported them. But these articles never mention that at all, that we can report this game before it's available for purchase.

Yes, and peeps in the media reporting the existence of games such as this in Steam is necessary. Otherwise, these kinds of games will continue to fester and propagate in the Steam library unnoticed. And yes, it's alright that the articles are questioning the validity of Valve's anything goes policies because it can lead to situations such this. It's a valid title highlighting the problem with Valve's approach regarding their content.

That you think such a title is "attacking Steam" tells me that your priority about this whole thing is skewed.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yes, and peeps in the media reporting the existence of games such as this in Steam is necessary. Otherwise, these kinds of games will continue to fester and propagate in the Steam library unnoticed.
Sure. Media can report how evil Steam is for all I care. What I demand of them is to educate people that there's a way to report these problematic games. Was that not clear enough in my initial post?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Sure. Media can report how evil Steam is for all I care. What I demand of them is to educate people that there's a way to report these problematic games. Was that not clear enough in my initial post?

See my edit above.

Such a title is valid if the point is to discuss the weakness in the laissez-faire way Steam is policing their content. It is not an "attack" as you describe it. And frankly, it is also not the responsibility of the articles to inform the readers on how to report the game to Valve, since it is not their point in their first place. The point, again, is to highlight how Valve's approach to curating their content can lead to situations such as this, where the game can appear in their store in the first place. Informing the readers the step by step methods on how to report the game to Valve is of little relevance.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
See my edit above.

Such a title is valid if the point is to discuss the weakness in the laissez-faire way Steam is policing their content. It is not an "attack" as you describe it. And frankly, it is also not the responsibility of the articles to inform the readers on how to report the game to Valve, since it is not their point in their first place. The point, again, is to highlight how Valve's approach to curating their content can lead to situations such as this, where the game can appear in their store in the first place. Informing the readers the step by step methods on how to report the game to Valve is of little relevance.

No, I think that you're incorrect on both bolded sentences.

To not inform readers about how to report the game is irresponsible, since journalism/reporting should be to educate and inform. The article does neither when it comes to what the consumer can do to help remove a game, so is both a promotional device for the "game" and a (in this case necessary) hit-piece on the standards of Steam. It is relevant to inform readers of how to report the game, as to not mention how to report it allows for misinterpretation of the facts, and allows for misinformation to spread. If my only awareness of Steam was this article, then I would have literally no clue as to what the process was for trying to remove games on Steam.

It's shoddy reporting and journalistic malpractice, to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
No, I think that you're incorrect on both bolded sentences.

To not inform readers about how to report the game is irresponsible, since journalism/reporting should be to educate and inform. The article does neither, so is both a promotional device for the "game" and a (in this case necessary) hit-piece on the standards of Steam. It is relevant to inform readers of how to report the game, as to not mention how to report it allows for misinterpretation of the facts, and allows for misinformation to spread. If my only awareness of Steam was this article, then I would have literally no clue as to what the process was for removing games on Steam.

It's shoddy reporting, and journalistic malpractice, to be honest.

Well, I disagree, to be honest. The point of is to inform that Valve's curating process can lead to situations such as these. How 'let the community do our curating process for us' method they're using can lead to stuff like this happening. And 'reporting the game to Valve for them to be removed' is a part of that 'let the community do our job' for us' tack that Valve is currently using.

The point should be 'how this shouldn't have happened in the first place', and not 'this is how we should remedy it/act now that it's already happening' or 'here's the instructions to remove the game using Valve's method of requiring users to use the report feature instead of them doing their own job curating their content.'

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Fucking yikes, a person claiming to be a sociopath making a game for fellow sociopaths

Is this peak capitalism?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I disagree, to be honest. The point of is to inform that Valve's curating process can lead to situations such as these. How 'let the community do our curating process for us' method they're using can lead to stuff like this happening. And 'reporting the game to Valve for them to be removed' is a part of that 'let the community do our job' for us' tack that Valve is currently using.

The point should be 'how this shouldn't have happened in the first place', and not 'this is how we should remedy it now that it's already happening'.

Agree to disagree? :) But, to be honest...

It should be included in the article if only to point-up how Valve evade responsibility by pushing work onto the community. It would educate about how to report, whilst also illustrating that Valve push curation of the store - sometimes of titles that are pretty sickening - onto consumers. Hell, make it a "proper" hit piece and include facts like Valve taking 30% from every sale whilst abrogating the most generic of duties.

Half-arsed is another criticism that I could throw at that article.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Abhorrent, and clearly only exists to get a rise out of people.

Nah, this is all shit. Murder is a fantasy to most, for obvious reasons. Rape is a reality that goes unchecked daily.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Agree to disagree? :) But, to be honest...

It should be included in the article if only to point-up how Valve evade responsibility by pushing work onto the community. It would educate about how to report, whilst also illustrating that Valve push curation of the store - sometimes of titles that are pretty sickening - onto consumers. Hell, make it a "proper" hit piece and include facts like Valve taking 30% from every sale whilst abrogating the most generic of duties.

Half-arsed is another criticism that I could throw at that article.

Well, at least I agree that Valve really need "hit piece articles" to be made against them just so that they can be arsed to do something for these kinds of situations.

Remember, this is the company that let various bigoted hate groups festered and flourished in their forums, using their platforms, unsupervised and unchecked for years before someone actually made an article about it.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
This one is ridiculous, but it's definitely not the only game with rape depictions. Pretty sure Naked Butlers has a lot of rape.

Steam will probably ban adult games again. Just not worth it, because unlike say porn or literature these contents are not seen as acceptable.

Yep. You can't even get the "true" endings in naked butler without raping the LI for the most part. There's like one or two exceptions but yep.

I have no issue with games with rape in them (realistic or not) this game looks more like the trolling for attention bit and should be removed for that more than the subject matter.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's much here other than the game should be reported and taken down soon.

The only curation I want to see is for posts in these threads for the stale ass dollar store takes on edge cases from thousands of games, this one already being cordoned off specifically to the adult section and not one that would have much notice if not having a spotlight shown on it and feeling like they're offering some galaxy brain insight on saying "lol but we dont need curation rite". Stupid shit.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least I agree that Valve really need "hit piece articles" to be made against them just so that they can be arsed to do something for these kinds of situations.

Remember, this is the company that let various bigoted hate groups festered and flourished in their forums, using their platforms, unsupervised and unchecked for years before someone actually made an article about it.

To be fair, YouTube has more of a problem with unsupervised/unchecked bigoted hate groups festering and flourishing, and there's been plenty of articles about YT video comments. It's an issue across the tech and entertainment sector, to one degree or another, and no company wants to be the first to step up and do something about it. Even Epic is just pushing the issue elsewhere, onto Reddit and Discord, rather than creating a community area of their own with real consequences for hateful talk and abuse.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
To be fair, YouTube has more of a problem with unsupervised/unchecked bigoted hate groups festering and flourishing, and there's been plenty of articles about YT video comments. It's an issue across the tech and entertainment sector, to one degree or another, and no company wants to be the first to step up and do something about it. Even Epic is just pushing the issue elsewhere, onto Reddit and Discord, rather than creating a community area of their own with real consequences for hateful talk and abuse.

Yes, but that doesn't mean I should find their preferred methods agreeable simply because everyone else is doing the same.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I don't understand how these hateful "products" manage to slip through the cracks and I don't understand how fucked up you would have to be to even consider it in the first place, let alone actually work on it.

I reported it, obviously. I have reported a lot of inappropriate content before (mostly from users) and Valve has always been good about dealing with it. They take their sweet time, but they get to it eventually.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Valve seems content with their store being a dumping ground so this isn't shocking.

And so do many of their fans apparently. Annecdotally I've had plenty of arguments on GAF and Era about this stuff continuously happening on Steam and I'm just met with people telling me it's up to consumers to avoid the content and that censorship of software is wrong. All I have to say to people like that are, fuck.off.

Regardless of how large their store is, Valve as a major platform holder should be doing a far better job at stopping nonsense like this ever making it onto their storefront. There is no argument to be made here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me like this game obviously meets the criteria of games that should be declined for being troll games (a dumb criteria in general, but it lets Valve justify rejecting games on a case by case basis somewhat arbitrarily).

I'd be down for something like Elle, which was a thoughtful film with something to say, which centred around an incident of rape, but this seems very much not like that.